How do I get reservations for Chef Mickey's?

MommytoaPrince

Mouseketeer
I am a local, living only about 45mins from Disney, so needless to say we are frequent flyers:). I have been trying for several weeks now to get ressies at Chef Mickeys for my sons 5th bday weekend and there is nothing available. Now I know all about booking 180 days in advance & I know that Chef Mickey's is one of the most popular restaurants but I literally have tried to get reservations here for the past 3 years for every time we visit and there are never any openings. AAAHHH!

So my question, when a restaurant has no openings when is the best time to possibly get a cancelled reservation? 1 day before the date, a week before the date or even the day that I want to go. I hope this makes sense and that someone might have some insight on getting a reservation for Chef Mickey's after the 18o day mark. TIA

I am a local, living only about 45mins from Disney, so needless to say we are frequent flyers:). I have been trying for several weeks now to get ressies at Chef Mickeys for my sons 5th bday weekend and there is nothing available. Now I know all about booking 180 days in advance & I know that Chef Mickey's is one of the most popular restaurants but I literally have tried to get reservations here for the past 3 years for every time we visit and there are never any openings. AAAHHH!

So my question, when a restaurant has no openings when is the best time to possibly get a cancelled reservation? 1 day before the date, a week before the date or even the day that I want to go. I hope this makes sense and that someone might have some insight on getting a reservation for Chef Mickey's after the 18o day mark. TIA

Just keep trying, everyday. Chef Mickey's books close to 180 days in advance. They do not hold reservation for walk ins or guests at the CR.
There is a cancellation penalty for packages at/after 45 days, so around that time may be a good time to check if folks are cancelling their trips. There is another room only penalty at 5 days I believe, so maybe then too.
The only other option is to show up the meal you want to eat right at restaurant opening and ask. But be prepared to be turned away. You may get lucky and there are last minute cancellations and no shows, and you may not.
Good Luck

Keep trying. People do cancel. With a five year old, you'd have to decide if getting turned away for a walkup might be too much of a risk, since the restaurant is completely open and the child can see what is going on inside. It might be hard for parents to tell some small children that they can't go in when they are right outside and can see the characters.

It isn't the same as Chef Mickey's, but maybe another resort character meal? Beach Club has a character buffet at Cape May. I think the Swan also has a character buffet on the weekends. There may be others, but those are the ones I know of.

We tried for 6 years to get into Chef Mickey's - (we finally were able to get a reservation when they opened up for lunch in Sept, with the free dining.) I was talking to the CM at check in and told her how long we had waited, and she told me to try walking in between 5 -7, they usually have openings. That was 2 years ago, so I am not sure how accurate it would be now, but it would be worth a try if you really want to eat there.

I was able to book reservations on my last trip 8 days out. And it was for the time and day I most preferred. Twice a day I would check from about 1 month before my vacation until I got what I wanted. This was in 2010.

People cancel all the time so it's a matter of luck that you're looking online when someone has canceled and a time has opened up. If you can, I would recommend checking multiple times a day.

With the new credit card guarantee in effect, people are more likely to cancel because no one wants to pay a penalty if they can avoid it so this makes your chances a little better this year.

Walk ups might be possible, but there's no guarantee you'll be lucky. It would depend on how busy it is, the time of year, the time of day. Have you tried walking up in the past?

If you can't get in, perhaps the time has come to make a reservation at 180 days for next year. You can always cancel if you change your mind. :)

Keep calling daily! Also, I've heard walk-ins around 6:45/7am can usually be seated depending on the day and party size.

Good luck!!

People cancel all the time. Just keep trying. You didn't say how far in advance you first tried to get the ADR this year. I know you said you are aware of the 180+10, but that doesn't mean that you tried at that point.

Maybe next year, you can make one 180 days out since you know when his birthday is? Then, if you end up not going, you can cancel at a later date.

Definitely keep trying. It can get frustrating, but I'd try as many times per day as you can stand it. I've been known to check 30-100+x per day if it's a really big deal to me. Also, it's best to be flexible and search a variety of times. I usually have very good luck with these approaches. :goodvibes

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have been trying everyday several times a day but still no luck. Hopefully something will open up soon!:sad1:

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you guys know that after weeks of trying multiple times thru out the day, I was able to score Chef Mickey's for my son's 5th bday weekend.:bday: I am SOOOO excited for him. It will be a total surprise. Every time we ride the monorail thru the Contemporary he always comments that he wants to go there. He will be so surprised. Can't wait! Yay for pixie dust & a few little prayerspixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter