How difficult is it to do intervals in a Disney race? Any Tips?

NicoleLarson

DIS Veteran
So this isn't my first Disney race by a long shot but I have been training for the first time using intervals. I have an app that beeps when I run/walk (I'm not ready to make the Garmin purchase, yet). Now I know that there are spots during most races that can make intervals it very difficult to run and I'm worried that I'm going to get frustrated and give up on doing them. But it's how I've been training and I think that I'll do better if I can keep up with them. Any tips from those of you that have successfully been able to keep up with timed intervals?

Jeff Galloway has the official training program and he does intervals, so there will be a good number of people using them. Best bet is to stick with your training intervals. Remember that because some parts of the course are extremely crowded, it will be critical that you pay attention to your surroundings and pack your patience. Don't come to a stop without raising your hand AND look to make sure you are not cutting people off. Don't stop to walk in the middle of the road. Move to the side to walk. At some really tight spots you may have to run a little longer or cut your interval short to make sure you don't impede the flow. (Cone Alley comes to mind)

Have a great race!! :flower1:

Yes as @pigletliz said there are numerous interval runners at Disney races. It's not hard to do at all as long as you are attentive to those around you and be sure to signal pace changes. If you are running as a solo racer it's helpful since you won't be necessarily walking in a pack. Be willing to sometimes delay your walk interval by a few seconds if needed to get yourself to a safe spot to begin your walk interval. Most importantly enjoy yourself and run your race.

TONS of people will be doing intervals, and most of them will be using loud beeping runkeeper devices. :)

Try to train so you can keep on going another 30 seconds in your run interval, just in case it's not safe to slow just then. And don't let it throw you if you can't go *into* a run interval right when you want to. Just practice being flexible and you'll do a lot better.

Does the race "thin out" at all? I've though about running the first mile and doing intervals after that if it would be easier to do this. I have watched some races on Youtube and it seems fairly crowded, but it's usually walkers taking the video so I didn't know if I could "get ahead" of the pack and make it easier to do intervals. Thanks for all the feedback in this thread. It's very helpful.

Does the race "thin out" at all? I've though about running the first mile and doing intervals after that if it would be easier to do this. I have watched some races on Youtube and it seems fairly crowded, but it's usually walkers taking the video so I didn't know if I could "get ahead" of the pack and make it easier to do intervals. Thanks for all the feedback in this thread. It's very helpful.

How crowded or not you find the course depends on many things including your corral, your pace, and the amount of time you spend waiting for character photos/riding rides/visiting bars. If you start in one of the first few corrals and don't stop for any fun along the way, you won't have to deal with much crowding at all. The later your corral, the slower you run, and the more time you spend not running, the more crowded the course will be.

Don't worry - yes, there are congested areas but it really is just a few places.

Having said that - the first mile or so is really congested pretty much from the start down to the ramp from Epcot Center Dr onto World Drive...more so because it's narrow there ("Caution runners, course narrows ahead") is steeply-banked, and VERY dark.

After that turn from Epcot Center Dr onto World Drive, though, it really opens up. There's usually been a picture op near there but plenty of room all the way until the transportation center.

The transportation center is where it gets congested again....and the portion back on World Drive that goes down under the Seven Seas Lagoon and back up in front of the Contemporary is the worst IMO. I've always just had to run whatever pace the crowd runs there. As much fun as running down Main Street is (and it's AMAZING!) it's also pure chaos with people zig-zagging for photogs and to say "Hi" to supporters.

Running through the castle, of course, is congested but, honestly, not too bad - it's quick.

The next area of congestion is Cone Alley (after leaving MK). I don't think it's as bad as the Contemporary/World Drive stretch but can be somewhat of a pain.

One pet peeve is that at the end of Cone Alley, the spectators start squeezing the course looking for their runners. i know they're excited to see their runners but the course gets quite squeezed quite a bit sometimes.

But after that (around the GF) it opens up and there's smooth sailing ahead! Of course, there's some heavier areas like WWoS but nothing as bad as the areas I mentioned (IMO).

TL;DR - congested, yes, but you'll be fine! Have fun!

How crowded or not you find the course depends on many things including your corral, your pace, and the amount of time you spend waiting for character photos/riding rides/visiting bars. If you start in one of the first few corrals and don't stop for any fun along the way, you won't have to deal with much crowding at all. The later your corral, the slower you run, and the more time you spend not running, the more crowded the course will be.

That makes sense. I'm starting at the back as it's my first Disney Race and first half. I didn't submit a time. I've been running about 11.5 minute miles in training and assume I will be around that pace when the race comes. I probably won't stop much, maybe once if I see an opportunity that has a character photo I want and a line that is not overly long but given where I'm starting I'm not sure if that will happen. For this race I just want to finish in a decent time and enjoy the process. Thanks for the feedback.

Don't worry - yes, there are congested areas but it really is just a few places.

Having said that - the first mile or so is really congested pretty much from the start down to the ramp from Epcot Center Dr onto World Drive...more so because it's narrow there ("Caution runners, course narrows ahead") is steeply-banked, and VERY dark.

After that turn from Epcot Center Dr onto World Drive, though, it really opens up. There's usually been a picture op near there but plenty of room all the way until the transportation center.

The transportation center is where it gets congested again....and the portion back on World Drive that goes down under the Seven Seas Lagoon and back up in front of the Contemporary is the worst IMO. I've always just had to run whatever pace the crowd runs there. As much fun as running down Main Street is (and it's AMAZING!) it's also pure chaos with people zig-zagging for photogs and to say "Hi" to supporters.

Running through the castle, of course, is congested but, honestly, not too bad - it's quick.

The next area of congestion is Cone Alley (after leaving MK). I don't think it's as bad as the Contemporary/World Drive stretch but can be somewhat of a pain.

One pet peeve is that at the end of Cone Alley, the spectators start squeezing the course looking for their runners. i know they're excited to see their runners but the course gets quite squeezed quite a bit sometimes.

But after that (around the GF) it opens up and there's smooth sailing ahead! Of course, there's some heavier areas like WWoS but nothing as bad as the areas I mentioned (IMO).

TL;DR - congested, yes, but you'll be fine! Have fun!

Thanks..I have seen some of the cone spots on videos and they seem like they can be pretty congested. The great thing with intervals is I can always mix it up if I need to run/walk when I'm supposed to be doing the other. I'm not going to stress on this run, I'm really excited for the experience. Thanks for the feedback.

We signed up late for the Star Wars Dark Side HM this past spring, so we were in the back corral. I ran the first mile to get out a bit and then did intervals. And, we really didn't stop for any pictures. It wasn't that difficult to do intervals as long as you indicate when you're going to slow down. Course congestion just depends on where you are. AK is always congested since it's pathways are narrow. Just be flexible. And, have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter