How did you pay?!

jacquellie

Earning My Ears
Hi, I’m about to purchase DVC direct with Disney and I don’t actually know how I’ll get the money there! I don’t have a credit card - well not one with a high enough limit. How did everyone else pay from UK? Did you do a bank transfer?

I bought my second contract via resale and paid the balance using bank transfer with starling bank. Transfer fees were minimum doing it this was compared to the big banks charges

I bought my second contract via resale and paid the balance using bank transfer with starling bank. Transfer fees were minimum doing it this was compared to the big banks charges
Oh that’s great to know as I also have a Starling account. So at what point did you work out the dollar-sterling conversion? Did you agree what the amount was with the company in GBP then pay that - or can you somehow pay in dollars from Starling?

Hi, you can pay in dollars from starling. Log in > Spending > Send Money > Foreign Exchange Then put the dollars in and it will auto convert back to what the GBP amount is. You then decide the transaction method like swift etc. You can do all this in advance to get an estimate of what the cost and charges will be. Just confirm with Disney that they will accept the transaction type, you could try a small transaction and follow up with a bigger one once they confirm receipt.You may be lucky enough to have a debit card that doesn’t charge any transactions fees you could try and pay with that also. When I bought my disney direct contract they let me phone up every couple of days and make 10K chunks on my credit card, would presume they may also let you do that with a debit card.

You can use XE or similar foreign exchange, rates are Ok and I used them for a resale purchase before. Rate is clear and no hidden charges. Easy to put reference numbers in etc
Rate is about 1.285 right now

We used Revolut to make the final payment (it comes with a prepaid creditcard, so you can top up the sum yourself). If you use Revolut, it is important top up in GBP and exchange it for USD in the Revolut's app. I believe you don't pay exchange rate fees for the first 5000 gbp or so, and after that the fees were also not that large.

I used Transferwise which has been pretty painless until my last contract when the US Bank wouldn't accept the incoming wire and returned the money so I ended up using TorFX who were excellent. You transfer from UK current account into the exchange who deposit it with the US bank - it takes about 3 days as US banking system appears a bit slower on moving money about than ours. I have a Suntrust US bank account opened in Florida that I use to pay my monthly dues.

I took their finance, maximised the deposit, put the deposit on a credit card then paid of the loan in 3 separate lumps using my credit card when they set it up. Cost me next to nothing in interest.

I took their finance, maximised the deposit, put the deposit on a credit card then paid of the loan in 3 separate lumps using my credit card when they set it up. Cost me next to nothing in interest.

What about transaction fees for international purchases?

The Post Office Money Credit Card didn't charge any foreign transaction fees. It has now been rebranded as Jaja (no relation to Binks, I understand) and it claims to still not charge but, as we can't travel anywhere, we have been unable to test it.

ford family

I paid on two different Halifax Clarity Cards - mine and my wife’s. I requested to increase limit beforehand then has enough between both cards - no exchange load or foreign transaction fee so gives you about the best rate going.

for our resale purchases, we used wire transfer.
for the direct purchase from Disney, we paid by credit card.
We just called our credit card company and had the limit raised to cover the payment.
Then we told them to lower the limit again once the transaction was complete.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter