How Comfortable or Uncomfortable are those sofa beds?

I think I'm sort of like you, fairly average but a bit of I can sleep on any bed kinda person. I'm 38, 5'5" and have slept on the pull out couches in at least half of the DVC resorts in the last few years. They're defintiely more comfortable than the average non-Disney sofa bed. I slept on a rollaway bed at a Four Seasons in Santa Fe that was WAY more uncomfortable. Yes the real bed is more comfortable, but I get a good night's sleep on the DVC sofa beds.

In comparison, I don't think the little 5th beds in some of the studios are comfortable. I've also slept on those a few times, most recently at Poly.

In Feb I called down for a mattress topper..OKW they sent up a new one..foam...didnt need it there...grandson and wife said it was fine...new beds there.....BWV was a different story..they used one there as they did last year....

While the regular beds are certainly preferable, there is tired and there is Disney tired. After a day or two in the parks and the (good) Disney exhaustion sets in I can sleep anywhere. The later in the week it gets, the better I sleep on the sofa beds. We still have younger kids and midday naps. So we tend to divide and conquer with DW and younger DD in the regular bed (1 BR) with me with our older DD on the sofa bed. Her nap is shorter so we can slide back to the parks a little earlier than the 5 yo. I sleep just fine on that sofa bed. I would consider myself more of a 'I can sleep anywhere' sort. We also did a stay in a studio at BCV with the 4 of us with the same arrangement and I slept fine that week as well. However, sleep is definitely better on the regular beds. We prefer 1 BRs but will do a Studio if points dictate.

While the regular beds are certainly preferable, there is tired and there is Disney tired. After a day or two in the parks and the (good) Disney exhaustion sets in I can sleep anywhere. The later in the week it gets, the better I sleep on the sofa beds. We still have younger kids and midday naps. So we tend to divide and conquer with DW and younger DD in the regular bed (1 BR) with me with our older DD on the sofa bed. Her nap is shorter so we can slide back to the parks a little earlier than the 5 yo. I sleep just fine on that sofa bed. I would consider myself more of a 'I can sleep anywhere' sort. We also did a stay in a studio at BCV with the 4 of us with the same arrangement and I slept fine that week as well. However, sleep is definitely better on the regular beds. We prefer 1 BRs but will do a Studio if points dictate.

Thanks. This is helpful to know in a worst case scenario. I feel like I would be ok. I might not love it, but I feel like I’ll get the batteries charged if it’s what I need to do and we aren’t going to be spending much time in the room (making a 1BR less necessary and more pricey).

In Feb I called down for a mattress topper..OKW they sent up a new one..foam...didnt need it there...grandson and wife said it was fine...new beds there.....BWV was a different story..they used one there as they did last year....
Did you call Housekeeping to get the mattress topper at BWV? We are there for 13 nights and I give the bed to my friend who has a bad back but would love a little more comfort on that pullout couch/bed.

I don't like the beds at DVC, so the sofa beds are fine - just a different version of horrible. (I do like a FIRM mattress - the floor with a little padding is better than a lot of beds). But we are usually so tired at the end of a Disney day that we'd sleep well and wake up stiff regardless of what we slept on.

I don't like the beds at DVC, so the sofa beds are fine - just a different version of horrible. (I do like a FIRM mattress - the floor with a little padding is better than a lot of beds). But we are usually so tired at the end of a Disney day that we'd sleep well and wake up stiff regardless of what we slept on.
Funny DH and I lose most of the regular Beds, but those sofa beds....ouch

Thank you, all! I’m in good shape and early 40s, but I am a bigger guy from weightlifting. It sounds like it wouldn’t be comfortable. I can handle pretty rugged conditions, but the question is why I’d want to do that on vacation. I was just curious how realistic of an option it would be for me. Thanks for the advise!
You hit the nail on the head here, why do that to yourself on vacation? It sounds like you COULD do it if you wanted to. But don’t do that to yourself on vacation is my opinion! Sleep is important, especially when logging all the miles one usually does at Disney.

I slept on the sofa bed last November for a week. It wasn’t as comfortable as the bed, but it was fine.

This is definitely a YMMV question. I will say that I think the older you are and how heavy, ahem, you may be... perhaps cause more issues with the pullout. With my back, it really didn't matter how tired I was, mattress pad or not, it was like being put on the rack! I will say, I found the sleeping chair much more tolerable.

Can't even express how happy I was to see the murphy beds going into SSR since this will be a real, honest to goodness mattress!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter