How can I give you a Florida quiz...i've never been!!! 3-17th July 2010

irishdancer86

DIS Veteran
Very excited to start 1st ever pre trip report!!! feel in a celebratory mood as have just figured out how to insert images into the post...not too hot on computer literacy...have also received a boost as was at a Florida planning party last night with two mother's from my dancing school who will be there at the same time as us... but anyway...background 1st...:love:

398920621a10838873392l.jpg

The Who: Me (Disney & Orlando fan) Cathy, 23, trainee accountant, 2 younger sisters and still live at home. started irish dancing when i was 4 and now teach it 4 times a week...been to disney 5 times, all with nana although various other people have came along...

4595298279a10533812146l.jpg

DBF, Ray:hug:, 31, physics teacher, reluctant farmer, talented hurler and loves football...will be our 1st anniversary on valentine's day but we've already been to Spain once together nd visited the most terrible theme park in the world...it will be his first trip to Florida and disney!

4595298279a10533812238l.jpg

The Why: *** I love love LOVE Disney, orlando, america etc!!! :cheer2::cheer2:

the title of the report is a nod to the fact that i read the unofficial guide or read park maps every night beofre bed and one night asked DBF if he would give me a florida quiz...he brought up the valid point that as he had never been he wasn't sure how good a quiz it would be...the Q's were rather open ended...E.G Q What would you say is the scariest ride in WDW? At least he tried!!!

So...hope people will maybe have a read of the report as I post it up...I would love some advice on itinerary and dinig choices, one of my main fears about the trip is that DBF will be totally overwhelmed by the crowds and queues and just won't enjoy it as much as I want him to...OTH he is very enthusiastic and pretty easygoing so fingerscrossed we both enjoy the disney magic!!! This is a photo of me , my sisters and cousin in front of everest august 08
206481440a9486523506l.jpg

Can't wait to read more :)

I totally understand about not wanting to overwhelmed your DBF. When I took some of my family a few years ago, I didn't want to overwhelm them, so I didn't make a whole lot of ADR's, and I even planned the week with an "day off", as I like to call it. We took a day to relax, and spend by the pool. Well, they were hooked, and now, the family goes once a year, and when I go to plan the trip, they give me a list of places they want to eat, things they may want to do, or not. haha! They love being in the parks from the time they open, until closing.

Don't stress out about it. I'm sure he is going to love it. I would just sit down with him and explain what it's like, how things work, and discuss dining options. Don't overwhelmed yourself in the process, plan some things, (i.e, some meals, extra magic hours, etc..), and leave some days open to do whatever you guys want, or may not want to do.

I see you're from Northern Ireland. I will be visting your beautiful country, for the first time this year. In November. I can't wait :)

Hi Lisa thanks for your reply...

do you get to go to disney every year? io think the planning is all part of the fun but dbf thinks getting excited maybe the month before is time enough...

what part of northern ireland are you visiting? is it for fun/work/family?

so excited to get my first ever reply! :yay:

encouraged by my first reply and also because i'm attending a florida party this evening to discuss a potential May 2011 girls only trip to disney...but back to the July trip

Here's a basic itinerary

Thurs 1st July : Fly to Gatwick from Belfast and stay overnight

Fri 2nd July : Day trip to Londo, which is dbf's responsibility to plan...my only requirement is a visit to the disney store!!!

Sat 3rd : Flight to Sanford, pick up Hire Car, stop at Walmart or publix for bottled water and snacks (cinnamon toast crunch, fruit roll ups, krispy kreme...mmm)...check in to Hampton Inn on Kirkman (wish I was onsite but maybe next time;))...then head to Downtown Disney to meet another 3 other Norn Irish families (friends through irish dancing)...will be using public transport...so might be a bit of a late night...hopefully dbf will hold me back from dancing on the table with their resident irish dancer!!!:woohoo:

Sun 4th : Happy Independence Day...to ease Raymond in gently we are going to Discovery Cove, never been can't wait!!!
Evening : Downtown Disney, dinner at Planet Hollywood and hopefully watch the fireworks

Mon 5th : DBF's first glimpse of the castle!!! Breakfast at Chef Mickey's first though then from park opening til close...taking in spectro and wishes...

Heading to planning evening now so will hopefully post rest of itinerary later tonight,

and have got photos of all my fashion purchases for the trip so far...gotta love an excuse for new dresses!!!:cloud9:

Hey Cathy!

Growing up, we went about once a year, but since becoming a passholder several years ago, and living in Alabama, which is not THAT far from WDW, I've been fortunate enough to be able to go about 3 times a year.

The planning part is very fun. I think most Disney people agree right? :)

My trip to Europe, will be my first over there. It's all for fun :) Me and two of my friends have been planning this for a year or more. As far as Northern Ireland, we will be spending a couple of days in Belfast. Our trip starts in London, we will be there a few days, then head over to Dublin, and instead of staying a couple of days there, we are going to go up to Belfast first, see the city, go to Giants Causeway, then after a couple of days there, go back to Dublin, spend a few days, then back to London for a few more days, then home. We are really excited about it.

Cathy sounds like a great plan. I've been to WDW during July, and for Independence Day. We had a great time.

that sounds like a good trip, if you let me know what kind of stuff your into i could maybe give you some local tips or advice?

Tue 6th - Hollywood Studios , lunch at sci-fi
Wed 7th - Busch Gardens and mini golf in the evening
Thur 8th - Sea World

Fri 9th - Epcot - Dinner at Le Cellier and staying for illuminatios

Sat 10th - Kennedy Space Centre. Outta Control Magic Dinner Show in the evening

Sun 11th - Animal Kingdom - Dinner at Rainforest Cafe

Mon 12th - Wet n Wild, sweet tomatoes for lunch, and the Outback for dinner

Tue 13th- going back to our favourite park and California grill at 9pm for dinner:love:

Wed 14th - Universal Studios, Staying at Hard Rock Hotel for express pass:cool1:
Thur 15th - Islands of Adventure and a rare free evening!

Fri 16th - Shopping and a trip to TGI Fridays and possibly back to a Disney park

Sat 17th - Segway tour at Epcot hopefully (haven't fully decided) then to the airport!:sad2:

so thats the fifth draft itinerary!!!

and here are my florida purchases so far...i have a tendency of buying pretty but sometimes unsuitable clothing:upsidedow

10393734274a12238549286l.jpg

10393734274a12238549322l.jpg

10393734274a12238549353l.jpg

10393734274a12238549380l.jpg

10393734274a12238549399l.jpg

10393734274a12238549429l.jpg

10393734274a12238549476l.jpg

10393734274a12238549496l.jpg

Cute!!

Your week looks great! You guys are going to have so much. I think me & my sister are planning to take my nephews down for our summer trip around the middle or end of July.
We take them every year, but we've never taken them to Universal. I've been many times & enjoy it. They're so excited about The Wizarding World of Harry Potter opening. I am too! :)

Cathy, any advice or tips for Belfast would be greatly appreciated. I've done tons & tons of research, but would love to hear tips from someone actually from there. We are doing a Black Taxi tour one day, they're showing us some of the city & taking us up to Giants Causeway.

Hi Cathy:

I followed you over from my PTR. I didn't even know you had a PT started you should have said something.. how exciting!! :banana:I'll try to help with your planning as much as possible...but it looks like you have everything under control and Your trip is PACKED. :)

We've never stayed off site we just find it much easier to stay on (even if it's at a value). We did debate about staying off site for a few nights this trip but I was out voted. We really love sci-fi and are also making
a trip out to kennedy space centre this time around: it was dbf's idea but i am really actually looking forward to it. We did the segway tour at epcot,
it was amazing. we both really loved it. I recommend it! It was worth it.

Are you making time for the outlets?

Now to the best part: Your purchases. :lovestruc

I Love LOVE shopping... I"ve been trying to hold back on my shopping post because i'm still 6 months away from our departure day! lol :scared1:

My fav. outfit so far is the dark blue dress, gladiators and belt.

I'm in... popcorn::

:)Hey Cathy,

Myself and my best friend are going to WDW at the same time as you - from 2nd July -12th July and can't wait!

Your itinerary sounds good! Are you doing the swim at Discovery Cove? We are doing DC on Thurs 8th which is so exciting!!

As Raecheal said, I would definitely try and fit in a day or two of shopping! We are planning on making a trip to the Florida Mall - possibly on the 4th July, and catch some fireworks in the evening. We're staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort, so will hopefully get some good views of the Epcot fireworks if we decide not to go to the park that evening :goodvibes

Keep posting! I love hearing about everyones plans! It gives me some ideas too! lol

Stacy

You guys that are going to be there for the 4th. I see you guys already have plans & they look great, if you do decided to go to park on the 4th (during the day), when I was down there for the 4th, a couple of years ago, we went to AK, it was dead all day long, we never waited longer than 10 minutes for Everest. Of course the park closes early, and no fireworks. We went to Downtown Disney to watch the fireworks. It was extremely crowded, but fun.

If you want to see the 4th of the July fireworks that the Magic Kingdom put on, they show them on the 3rd too. We did that. Went to MK on the 3rd, spent the day there, the crowds were not horrible, again typical summertime crowds, but nothing bad at all. When it was time for the fireworks it was crowded.

They're so excited about The Wizarding World of Harry Potter opening. I am too!

Cathy, any advice or tips for Belfast would be greatly appreciated. I've done tons & tons of research, but would love to hear tips from someone actually from there. We are doing a Black Taxi tour one day, they're showing us some of the city & taking us up to Giants Causeway.

Harry Potter World should be amazing, heard they've released a package which includes a commemorative ticket and breakfast in the three broomsticks!!! Very Cool!

Try Break for the Border in Dublin, my mum says is amazing and really lively for a night out...

For Belfast here's a few ideas
Classy drinks/night out : Cafe Vaudeville, The Apartment, Ollie's
Traditional Iirsh Music: Quinn's bar or Robinson's opposite Europa are the two I've been to but you might have to find days and times closer to your visit.
Shopping: PRIMARK!!! hopefully you'll like it, know that you guys don't have it in US so you'll be unique when you get home and its super cheap! Victoria Square is our newest shopping venue and is very nice
Make sure to see the murals on the gable wall of the terraced houses in Belfast...but not on foot! via bus or taxi only! anything else just ask!

I'll try to help with your planning as much as possible...but it looks like you have everything under control and Your trip is PACKED.

Honestly I need all the help I can get so glad you came over!

As Raecheal said, I would definitely try and fit in a day or two of shopping! We are planning on making a trip to the Florida Mall - possibly on the 4th July, and catch some fireworks in the evening. We're staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort, so will hopefully get some good views of the Epcot fireworks if we decide not to go to the park that evening

Hi really appreciate all input on the plans so far!
Have you been at this time before, I'm nervous about crowd levels!!!
My friends have booked rose and crown to watch the fireworks on the 4th, but too late to change plans now!

Ok girls totally love shopping where is your favourite place in Orlando for bargains? I'm going to free up some time after wet'n'wild!!!

I've been during July, and during the 4th. I went a couple of years ago, and the crowds were not bad. They were typical summer time crowds, but I never felt it was too crowded. I go at least 3 times a year, and I've been during very busy times ( New Years Eve, and some other busy times and holidays), and it was not bad.

Thanks so much for your tips, and advice. I have a notebook, and I will write this stuff down. I love shopping!! I will check out those places for sure :) Thanks again :)

Hi really appreciate all input on the plans so far!
Have you been at this time before, I'm nervous about crowd levels!!!
My friends have booked rose and crown to watch the fireworks on the 4th, but too late to change plans now!

Ok girls totally love shopping where is your favourite place in Orlando for bargains? I'm going to free up some time after wet'n'wild!!!

This will be my first ever trip to WDW so am will be just as nervous as you about the crowd levels! Although I will be hitting the Florida Mall to do some shopping! :)

Will post my pre-trip itinerary too and see what people think! :goodvibes

Most Disney thinking this week has been on Disney couture jewellery...i really really love it and have narrowed it down to a few pieces, even repierced my ears on sunday DIY Style to get some tink gold hoops!

this is a necklace my mum got me for christmas which is I think is really pretty but its a fairy and not specifically tinkerbell...so undecided if it will be accompanying me to florida?...
10393734274a12274905234l.jpg

my mum also brought me this back from her free September trip to orlando...hmmm a theme is emerging, gotta love tinkerbell:love:
10393734274a12274905144l.jpg

10393734274a12274905186l.jpg

got these pyjama's in New Look's Sale...
10393734274a12274905095l.jpg

and just wanted to post a picture of my special valentine's day rose...maybe dbf is listening after all!!!
10393734274a12238549253l.jpg

So been mentally debating with myself all week, sad I know about the advantages/disadvantages of continuing to hunt for disney themed clothing (finding it really hard to locate nice affordable disney tanks) or just wear a plainer outfit and bling it up with some disney couture jewellery?

Hello! :)

Just so you know, it'll be a good idea to break those sandals in soon, if they're new. If you don't, they will kill your feet, and I'm so not kidding :( I had bad blisters after swapping out my work shoes while still working there.

Anyway, everything looks awesome! Just wear sunblock! :teeth: Hoping to read more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter