How bad are navigator Verandas, really?

Cmbar

DIS Veteran
I’m hoping any of you who have stayed in Navigators Verandah (Deck 5,Aft) can tell me it will be OK.
We tried doing VGT For the first time and I feel like we got the crappiest of the verandas category and I spent the whole night crying. Not very Thankful this morning. lol

Is there anything nice about these types of Verandahs? I know it’s insane to be so sad about this but I just envision this dark hole that let’s no light in and we can’t see out.

Is there anything I can do to get it changed? Would an upgrade at the port be possible? Anyone done that for no or little cost?

I know what I booked so I can’t complain but just was hoping to get lucky. I’m a Cruise travel agent and man Disney doesn’t give you any perks like the other lines do.

On a positive note, My husband thinks it’s cool to be near the theater. Will we hear the movies all day long? We’re in connecting cabins 5136/5138.

Happy Thankgiving everyone!

I’m hoping any of you who have stayed in Navigators Verandah (Deck 5,Aft) can tell me it will be OK.
We tried doing VGT For the first time and I feel like we got the crappiest of the verandas category and I spent the whole night crying. Not very Thankful this morning. lol

Is there anything nice about these types of Verandahs? I know it’s insane to be so sad about this but I just envision this dark hole that let’s no light in and we can’t see out.

Is there anything I can do to get it changed? Would an upgrade at the port be possible? Anyone done that for no or little cost?

I know what I booked so I can’t complain but just was hoping to get lucky. I’m a Cruise travel agent and man Disney doesn’t give you any perks like the other lines do.

On a positive note, My husband thinks it’s cool to be near the theater. Will we hear the movies all day long? We’re in connecting cabins 5136/5138.

Happy Thankgiving everyone!
Which ship? They can be quite different on different ships.

Edited to add: I see from your signature you're on the Magic. In that case, it's basically a porthole with no glass. Yes, you can purchase an upgrade at port if there are any available. Just don't expect cost savings that way.

Here are cabin reviews of 5136 and 5138 (although from the Wonder, the Magic will be similar): http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/roomreport.cfm?Room=5136
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/roomreport.cfm?Room=5138

Last edited:

I've had one on the Dream. Not quite like the ones on the Magic and the Wonder (not enclosed), it was just like a real balcony but smaller, with a "fixed" chair (you could not move it). It's perfect for a solo traveler, a single parent with one or two children or a couple.

I like Navigator Verandas. First was Magic 6636, and I booked it with a friend just to see how it would feel. I liked it enough to convince my DH to try one, and he did, but I do not remember which cruise or ship. I know we booked one for our 2 Med Cruises next year B2B.

I really enjoy having a veranda, sometimes DCL prices just are so high. I found these Verandas allow us to have access to the outside for a bit of cost savings. We booked one for a NYE cruise on the Dream in 2018/2019.

We had a Navigator Verandah stateroom on the 5th on the Magic on the East Transatlantic this year. The stateroom was great!!!!!

We always book a verandah and while I'm not sure that I'd intentionally book a Navigator verandah unless there were no other options I think they look just fine compared to a normal verandah. Definitely sufficient light and a bit more sheltered from the sun than a fully open one so you can sit out there comfortably but still see out.

I can't imagine you'd hear much from the theatre. Once those doors are closed, it's pretty soundproofed.

We like being aft - we used to like being midship until we were moved once to a more aft cabin and we decided that we preferred the location especially if it's near the aft elevators as they are less busy and it's closer to the places we typically spend our time. It will also be quieter (not that we've had much problems with that in other locations) because there will be a lot less traffic outside your room.

I wouldn't spend the money to upgrade unless you feel really really strongly about it.

I love navigator verandas. I noticed no less light in the room at all. The wind is a lot less when you are outside. For our Alaska trip this summer on the Wonder, I adored the Veranda. It had a padded bench, the chair and table were moveable. The bottom is solid vs. see-through but had no trouble seeing from the bench. I could stretch out and read when I needed quiet time. I try to get a navigator Veranda and when not available will do an ocean view. I think you migh be pleasantly surprised.

These used to be (and maybe still are??) the hot ticket on booking day. I snagged the last one for our Panama Canal and thought I won the lottery —so please don’t cry

They are nice in that there’s a little more shelter and are cozy in bad weather and can be a little more private. It was almost like having another little room which was huge deal on a ship. We thought they were neat and something a little different.

I’m actually surprised you got these. They are usually a bit less $ then a regular veranda so tend to sell out quicker. I think I would prefer the navigator veranda because they are less windy and it can be cold on the veranda in wind.

Wow. Thank you all for your encouraging words!! We leave in five days and I feel less anxious about the room now. My husband says it will be fun to be in something different so I'm glad he's excited and hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised!

I’m actually surprised you got these. They are usually a bit less $ then a regular veranda so tend to sell out quicker. I think I would prefer the navigator veranda because they are less windy and it can be cold on the veranda in wind.
Oh I didn't know they were sought after cabins. We actually got two since we got connecting. Going to hope for the best and enjoy the new type of room!!

We had one this past spring on the Magic deck 5 aft and loved it! Like others said, you get the space of a veranda with a tough more privacy and protection from the elements. We spent time on ours every morning & evening. The location is quiet. Not a lot of traffic in the corridors, but conveniently located near aft stairs & elevators. We never heard the movie theater, but one night we went to bed early and could hear the music from Animators Palate second seating. No big deal because the song only lasts a few minutes. Enjoy your cruise!

Oh I didn't know they were sought after cabins. We actually got two since we got connecting. Going to hope for the best and enjoy the new type of room!!

I wanted a Navigator's Verandah so bad after seeing YouTube vids of the room tours of them. They were available when I booked, but for the longest time, I couldn't figure out why I couldn't book them. It turns out it was because they only sleep 3, and we're a party of 4. I was so bummed we couldn't get one.

not quite a Navigators Verandah, but on our last NCL cruise we had a similar one, solid and enclosed with a large window. It ended up being a good thing because our cruise was super windy and we probably wouldn't have been outside much if it wasn't so sheltered. We could see a lot of other balconies from ours and hardly anyone was ever out except in port.

Deck 5 aft (on the magic and wonder) are our favorite rooms on the ship. We love the navigators verandahs. They have little benches to sit on (instead of standard deck chairs). You still get sun light and a gentle breeze, but not as much of a breeze so it makes it great for reading out there. We'll see you on board on Friday!

I like Navigator Verandas. First was Magic 6636, and I booked it with a friend just to see how it would feel. I liked it enough to convince my DH to try one, and he did, but I do not remember which cruise or ship. I know we booked one for our 2 Med Cruises next year B2B.

I really enjoy having a veranda, sometimes DCL prices just are so high. I found these Verandas allow us to have access to the outside for a bit of cost savings. We booked one for a NYE cruise on the Dream in 2018/2019.
We are on this cruise too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter