Hotel tax? Sales tax?

ErinInCT

Someday my tag will come...
When you buy a DVC timeshare do you pay the FL tax & that huge hotel tax when you "rent" your unit? I am debating renting points for a 7 day stay & am wondering if I should rent only Sun - Thurs & then pay hotel rate for Fri & Sat (seems cheaper on Expedia.com then $10/point rental) but once you tack on the other fees associated with a hotel room it really adds up. I know people say there are no hidden fees with the DVC but I am wondering if there is anything you pay when you check in or check out? Thanks for answering my questions!

Hi, ErinInCT. There is no sales tax on DVC accommodations.
Of course, since it is real estate, there are property taxes paid each year in the form of annual fees.
You will pay nothing, nada, zilch for your accommodations when you check out.
That being said, unfortunately you will have to pay for items and food charged to your room. :(
Yes, DVC is good.... but it ain't that good! :teeth:

Good luck... :cool2:

MG

Originally posted by ErinInCT
When you buy a DVC timeshare do you pay the FL tax & that huge hotel tax when you "rent" your unit? I am debating renting points for a 7 day stay & am wondering if I should rent only Sun - Thurs & then pay hotel rate for Fri & Sat (seems cheaper on Expedia.com then $10/point rental) but once you tack on the other fees associated with a hotel room it really adds up. I know people say there are no hidden fees with the DVC but I am wondering if there is anything you pay when you check in or check out? Thanks for answering my questions! [/B]

It is sometimes cheaper to get the hotel rack rate than the points rate on the weekend (assuming there is cash availability). Remember, on the cash portion, you will get daily housekeeping and you will pay 11.5% tax on the room rate.

Just a suggestion if this is what you end up doing, have the member from whom you rent your points make the cash reservation thru DVC Member Services so that the reservations link up. (you will not be eligible for the member discount, but the linkage will be invaluable::yes:: ).

As for the cash vs points cost comparison, my calculations pertain only to BWV during the seasons that I would be interested in going: it looks to me like the only units where rack rate (after tax) is better than points cost (assuming $10 a pt) would be the 1BR preferred view - I guess that calculus would also work with VWL and BCV tho.

Good luck with the rental process Erin. BTW I am likely to have 116 pts to rent this yr (I got a DVC discount on some wkend nites); if that suits your needs, PM me and maybe we can work something out.

Originally posted by pumpkinboy

...points cost (assuming $10 a pt)
I know opinions on this vary, and there is no true right or wrong answer, but...
Many of us figure the cost of our points to be around $6/point, vs $10.
$10/point works great if you are truly going to rent that point, then pay cash for your reservation.
Many of us figure our true cost by dividing the price per point by the number of years it can be used, then adding maintenance fees. That comes to approximately $6/point.

Again, no right or wrong answer, just a different way to look at it. :cool:

MG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter