Hotel recommendations for Universal and San Diego Zoo

My3crazymonkeys

Earning My Ears
My 19 year old and friend are planning a trip to Universal next month. Looking for hotel recommendation. Not to expensive but clean and safe. They are also planning on going to the San Diego Zoo. They might stay 2 nights by Universal and then switch to closer to the Zoo and beach for the last night. Would love hotel and area suggestions.

Last edited:
The Universal Hilton is nice and as close to Universal as you can get since it's "on the hill with Universal. The Sheraton is next closest and also on the hill. They are both clean and safe (being insulated up on the hill) but they aren't necessarily the cheapest options.

There are other options nearby-ish in the Studio City area, but I'm not as familiar with the specific hotels.

I'd avoid staying in Hollywood if possible because even though it looks close on a map, it's over the hill so it's less convenient. And since you mention safety, areas in Hollywood can be sketchy.

As for the beach, there are lots and lots of beach communities all up and down the coast, so it kind of depends on what they're looking for. A good starting point is Santa Monica. It's a "famous" area as the end of Route 66 and seen in lots of movies and TV shows. There's a big public beach and a pier with restaurants, rides, and souvenir shops.

Thank you! They have slightly altered their plans and are planning on the San Diego Zoo and then Universal the next day. So they'll most likely split their stay between hotels.

Our favorite spot in San Diego without question is the Hotel del Coronado, the design inspiration for Disney's Grand Floridian Resort. We visit every two or three years (usually tied in with a DLR stay). Not too far from the San Diego Zoo. It is, however, not an inexpensive property.

Thank you! They have slightly altered their plans and are planning on the San Diego Zoo and then Universal the next day. So they'll most likely split their stay between hotels.
Yes, I'd recommend splitting hotel stays for the SD Zoo and Universal instead of trying to find a "middle ground" location. Just to be clear, there are two San Diego Zoo properties: the Zoo proper in San Diego, and also the Safari Park about 45 minutes north of the zoo. I think they are both great, but make sure to figure out which one (or both) they want to visit.

Also, if they'll be staying in SD area to visit the Zoo, I'd look for a beach in the SD area and plan to go to the beach on that part of the trip, since that'll be more convenient than getting to the beach from a Universal-area hotel.

How are they planning to go from San Diego to Universal? It’s 2-3 hours by car or 4-5 hours by bus/train. They are likely to lose half a day at least transferring between the 2 locations.
Hollywood would be fine for their stay near universal as the metro runs from the Hollywood and Highland stop to within about 10 mins walk of Universal. Would be 20-30 mins total for the trip. Loews Hollywood, The Roosevelt or Magic Castle may be within budget although you haven’t said what that is. The Orange Drive Hostel gets good reviews but I’ve never stayed there. I do know to avoid the Hollywood Highland Hostel, it’s a complete dump.
Yes there are seedier areas of Hollywood but if they stick to the tourist areas they should be fine. Taking precautions against pickpockets would be their main concern as with any large city.

How are they planning to go from San Diego to Universal? It’s 2-3 hours by car or 4-5 hours by bus/train. They are likely to lose half a day at least transferring between the 2 locations.
Hollywood would be fine for their stay near universal as the metro runs from the Hollywood and Highland stop to within about 10 mins walk of Universal. Would be 20-30 mins total for the trip. Loews Hollywood, The Roosevelt or Magic Castle may be within budget although you haven’t said what that is. The Orange Drive Hostel gets good reviews but I’ve never stayed there. I do know to avoid the Hollywood Highland Hostel, it’s a complete dump.
Yes there are seedier areas of Hollywood but if they stick to the tourist areas they should be fine. Taking precautions against pickpockets would be their main concern as with any large city.

They will be driving. We live in AZ so they are driving there and have their car. They are aware of the distance but don't care. They are hoping less then $200/night for hotel. Thanks for the suggestions!

Ah that’s good they have a car, no worries then. I’ve done day trips to SD Zoo myself from LA and Anaheim, just making sure they knew what they were in for if they didn’t have a car.
Loews does have arrangements for parking in the adjacent Hollywood and Highland Mall for $15 per day which is hard to beat in LA. No in and out privileges but they won’t need that, just take the metro to USH which will be quicker and avoid a 2nd (or 3rd) parking fee. Self Parking at Magic Castle is about $17, Orange Drive Hostel charges $10. Parking a car will often be $30-$60 a night in that area so make sure to take that into account. I’d scratch the Roosevelt in that case, it charges $45.

Last edited:
In San Diego, they will find something in Hotel Circle. It's a bunch of hotels along the freeway, but there's all types of brands and prices.

For Universal, honestly, I'd suggest spending more to stay at Sheraton or Hilton next to the property. Personally, I just don't like the general area outside of that little bubble. I don't know if Priceline is still a thing, but maybe they can try bidding on a hotel room through something like that.

ok now Im going to come and hyjack this thread LOL....can I get some recommendations for hotels close to US??? I know about the Hilton and Sheraton but those are like running almost $300 per night because we are going Labor Day weekend....helpppp

we stayed in Glendale at the embassy suites and enjoyed it, it was about a 15 minute drive in the morning to USH. paid ~200 in 2019. not sure current rates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter