hotel parking: POP

momz

DIS Veteran
I see there is a parking charge at the hotel these days. Is there handicapped designated parking spaces? Is there any extra cost for handicapped parking, or is it the same cost as non-handicapped? I'm trying to make sure I understand all the hotel charges.

Handicapped parking spots are hard to come by but at check in make sure you let them know you are handicapped and you will not be charged for parking.
My parents brought their hanging tag in with them but they were told there was no need to show it.

I see there is a parking charge at the hotel these days. Is there handicapped designated parking spaces? Is there any extra cost for handicapped parking, or is it the same cost as non-handicapped? I'm trying to make sure I understand all the hotel charges.

Hi, momz. I don't use a car and I fly into Orlando and use Disney's Magical Express bus to get from the airport to the Disney Pop Century Resort.

Yes, there are designated handicap parking spaces that I have seen at the front of the resort. Maybe someone else can help you with the rest of the areas since I having used a car to park at the different Pop buildings.

Official info straight from a Disney CM:

To avoid the fee for the parking, you can register your car with security or front desk. You must have a valid disabled parking placard to park in the accessible parking areas. As long as you do this, there will be no parking fee charged to the guest(s).

• Resorts
  • Handicapped parking lots are patrolled by County police and they will ticket cars not displaying a valid handicapped parking permit if you are parked in a marked handicapped spot. The actual handicapped spots have a sign or are marked with blue paint.
  • Some of the handicapped parking spots are labeled "Van Accessible" or have a wide cross-hatched spot next to them so that a lift or ramp can be put down from the van. If you don't need this feature, please don't park in those spots, if possible. Someone with a ramp or lift van is not able to use a regular handicapped parking spot.
  • Valet parking at the deluxe and DVC resorts is free for people with Handicapped Parking permits, although tips are appreciated.
    This is not really a 'perk', it is so that the resort doesn't have to have as much handicapped parking right near the door.

The handicapped parking areas and some of the bus areas have courtesy shuttle wheelchairs that can be used to get from that area to the wheelchair/ECV rental area in the park. There is no guarantee any will be available.
2590PA060011_1-thumb.JPG

Handicapped Parking for the WDW parks/resorts

• Handicapped Parking Permits
  • If you don't have a Handicapped Parking Permit, check the Department of Transportation or Motor Vehicles website in your state. Many states have the form available online. You would still need to print it and have your doctor complete it, but you may qualify for a temporary permit.
  • If you have a Handicapped Parking Permit, bring it with to park in Handicapped parking at resorts and parks.
  • All states have reciprocity with Florida; a valid Handicapped Parking Permit from one state is recognized as valid by Florida.
  • For travelers from the UK, this is a link to information about use of Blue Badges in Florida
  • Handicapped parking lots/Medical Parking
  • To use handicapped parking lots at the parks, have your parking permit visible and show it to each CM (Cast Member) you come to.
  • All of the parks have handicapped parking available. WDW calls these lots "Medical parking". This is the closest parking area to the park entrance, but may still mean a fairly long walk.
  • The spots that are the closest to the entrance are marked with handicapped signs or with blue paint. Only guests with a valid government issued Handicapped Parking Permit may park in these spots. The County police do patrol and you can be ticketed if you park in one of those spots without a valid handicapped parking permit.
  • Some of the handicapped parking spots are labeled "Van Accessible" or have a wide cross-hatched spot next to them so that a lift or ramp can be put down from the van. If you don't need this feature, please don't park in those spots, if possible. Someone with a ramp or lift van is not able to use a regular handicapped parking spot.
  • Some spots in the Medical parking lots are not marked and can be used by people without a Handicapped Parking Permit. CMs also save some spots at the front of the regular parking areas for people with wheelchairs or ECVs who don't have parking permits. Explain your needs to each CM that you come to and they will direct you.
  • Handicapped parking lots are very large and if you are on the end of a row or the back row, you will have a fairly long walk to the park entry. If you don't have a wheelchair or ECV with you, there are some courtesy wheelchairs available in the handicapped lots. There is no guarantee there will be one available when you get there though.
  • If you are concerned about walking distance, you would actually have a shorter walking distance by parking in the regular lot and using the parking lot trams. There are no trams serving the Medical Parking. To use the tram, you need to be able able to step up to get in.
  • Sometimes, especially at Epcot, the regular handicapped area is full or they have moved Handicapped Parking temporarily, so it is best to go where the CMs direct you, rather than just following the pavement markings that you followed before.
  • Parking lot trams
  • The regular parking lots are served by parking lot trams; the handicapped parking lots are not.
  • Parking lot trams are not wheelchair or ECV accessible (folding wheelchair or special needs stroller can be folded and held on the tram, if you are able).
  • If you don't have a wheelchair or ECV with you, Disney actually recommends parking in the regular lot and using the parking trams if you are able to step up onto the tram and ride it. Trams drop guests off as close as possible to the park turnstiles.
    Parking lot CMs save spots on the end of the row closest to the tram stops for people with mobility disabilities.
  • Specific Information about MK
  • When going to MK from a WDW resort, the bus is usually the best way to get there.
    If you are staying at a WDW resort, you will have the least walking by taking the bus when going to MK. The MK bus drops you off at the park, close to the entry turnstiles.
    If you park at MK, you will need to get from the parking area to the Ticket and Transportation Center (TTC). From there, you either take a boat or a monorail. The boat is a longer walk, but is more level. Using the monorail at TTC and MK involves going up a long steep ramp to get to the monorail boarding area at the TTC and down one at MK.
  • Drop off points and TAXI service for Parks
    Ask about front drop off points at the payment booth when you enter the parking area.
    As you drive in, tell CMs you see that you want to drop someone off and they will direct you to the correct place.
    Magic Kingdom All guests not using WDW buses or resort monorails will end up at the Ticket and Transportation Center (TTC). Taxis drop off and pick up in the drop off lot at the TTC.

Epcot - taxis drop off and pickup in the bus loop 1-8

Studios - taxis drop off and pickup in the parking lot opposite from the charter lot

Animal Kingdom - taxis drop off and pickup at the HC / charter lot.

Parking for Guests with Disabilities
Designated parking areas are available throughout Walt Disney World Resort for Guests with disabilities. A valid disability parking permit is required and standard parking rates apply.

Resort Hotels
Registered Guests:

Overnight Self-Parking

• Effective for reservations made March 21, 2018 and thereafter, standard overnight self-parking is available to registered Guests for a fee that will be applied to their hotel folio upon check-out. All parking fees include applicable tax.
Standard Overnight Parking charges per Resort Category:

• Disney Value Resorts: $13 per night
  • Disney Moderate Resorts: $19 per night
  • Disney Deluxe and Deluxe Villa Resorts: $24 per night
Complimentary standard parking is available to Guests staying at the Campsites at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort. Each campsite provides parking space for one (1) motorized vehicle.

Valet Parking
Valet Parking is available at select Disney Deluxe Resorts and Disney Deluxe Villas for $33 per night (sales tax included).

Guests with Disabilities
Designated parking areas are available throughout Walt Disney World Resort for Guests with disabilities. A valid disability parking permit is required.

Learn more about services for Guests with disabilities.

For further information about other available services for Guests with disabilities, please contact Disability Services at (407) 560-2547 or email disability.services@disneyparks.com.

Day Guests
Complimentary standard self-parking is available while enjoying select dining, shopping, entertainment, and recreation experiences at Disney Resort hotels.

The HA parking spots will be marked on the map here, and you will be given a paper copy of that map at Check-in if you request one.

Currently, folks with a valid Handicapped license plate and/or hangtag issued by a state government are not charged for parking at the Disney Resort hotels. That is subject to change in the future, but for trips in January of 2019, I was just told that the fee is still currently being waived at all Disney World Resort Hotels.

If you made your reservation directly with WDW, you can call them, and ask them to add that info to your reservation (no guarantee it will be there, or be acted upon, but you can ask). Additionally, you can (and should) tell the Front Desk after you have arrived and parked where your car is, and that you are have the license plate and/or the hangtag displayed. Check your final bill prior to departing, to make sure that you aren't charged for parking - it's easier to fix in person than after the fact.

We always drive to Pop Century - good luck finding an HC spot. They have always been completely full every time we have driven down. And since HC parks for free, more people will use their tags to get that perk, and be less willing to move the car during a trip.

We always drive to Pop Century - good luck finding an HC spot. They have always been completely full every time we have driven down. And since HC parks for free, more people will use their tags to get that perk, and be less willing to move the car during a trip.

But keep in mind you don't have to park in an HC spot to get the HC free parking. It just sucks when people use them that have no intention of going to their car for any reason and the people that will be using their car while staying at a resort have to park so far away.

But keep in mind you don't have to park in an HC spot to get the HC free parking. It just sucks when people use them that have no intention of going to their car for any reason and the people that will be using their car while staying at a resort have to park so far away.

This is a good point. We don't intend to use our car while there, so I will be sure to leave the space open for those that will be going to and from. Thanks for pointing this out.

So, people use the HC tag but don't need an HC spot? How is that legal?

Just becuse you have a handicap tag does not meant you have to use the parking spot. I know someone that dose this depending on how she is doing that day how fair away none handicap spots on and so on. Very legal. Just like someone that needs a wheelchair dose not have to sit in it all the time this dose not mean that do not need the wheelchair

Well, the entire purpose of HP plates, placards, and parking is to get the person out of the flow of traffic as quickly and safely as possible. When said person is not going to need access to the vehicle for a period of time, especially if somebody else is driving, leaving the space/s for eligible person/s who will be using their own is considerate.

Example: I don't drive. Someone could drop me at the venue entrance (i.e., close to my hotel room) then go park. Or if all the HP spaces were full. Pretty sure it's not illegal.

What?
All I meant was if you have a tag but have no intention of needing access to your vehicle it may be wise to not take up a spot that someone that will need frequent access to their vehicle could be getting much greater use of vs them parking a very long distance away when they have a condition that makes that long distance difficult.
No one said anyone was doing anything illegal but rather that it would be more condiderate.

Last edited:
This is an outgrowth of the fact that if all the HC spots are taken then someone issued an HC tag is not denied the HC tag privileges even though using an ordinary spot (theoretically) closest to the full HC zone. Someone not issued an HC tag may not use HC spots even if the car has an HC plate.

Even when using an HC spot there may be rules, for example in Massachusetts the person issued the HC privileges must be in the car at the time of parking.

Last edited:
Even when using an HC spot there may be rules, for example in Massachusetts the person issued the HC privileges must be in the car at the time of parking.
More specifically, the person must be exiting or entering the vehicle.

You can't just bring a placard-holding person with you and park in a handicap space.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter