Hotel in LA

Dsny1sttimer

Earning My Ears
A few days ago, I remember seeing a post about which hotels are the best to stay at in LA....now I can't find it. Looking for somewhere in/near Hollywood to see the walk of fame/chinese theater and one day at Universal - someone said one hotel you could take public transportation from to get there?
We are booked at the Tropicana for our stay at DL...can't wait. Will be there week of Mar. 17 - 23!!!!
:teacher:

This is kind of an oxymoron unless you have a decent vacation budget. If you want to hit up Hollywood and see the walk of fame, handprints and such, I'd recommend just staying in Orange County and driving there. Holiday Inn Walk of Fame is really close to all the touristy stuff and is the least expensive (relatively) in the area. They'll hit you for about $120 per night unless it's a holiday weekend or something big is going on then expect closer to $200 if they aren't already booked.

If you have your heart set on it I would look at the Universal Sheraton, its up the road about two exits but is next door to Universal Studios. Even if you skip the park it has CityWalk which is the precursor to DTD. Which is free.

Or their is the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel at Hollywood and Highland, which part of the huge new complex that sits on the walk of fame, next door to Kodak and the Chinese Theater and across the street from El Capitan (Disney's classic theater) with the Small Disney Store and malt shop. The Lucky Strike bowling alley is also there and a blast!

Or if you want the ultimate in Hollywood History you can check out the Roosevelt Hollywood Hotel. This is a very classic and very famous star studded hotel. I won't lie it will also be pretty expensive. I looked and it shows the lowest night at $279, going up from there.

Remember that Hollywood is not likely to take all day since most of what people want to see is on one corner and when they get there they tend to be a little let down. But the new complex has helped to make it somewhat better. And if you have the time see at movie at El Capitan its amazing!

We are staying at the Rennaisance Hollywood hotel in the summer. It is connected to the Hollywood and Highlands centre right on the walk of fame and oposite the Chinese theatre. The metro station is next to the hotel and it is one stop up the line to get to Universal. We were debating between this hotel and the Roosevelt, but the Rennaisance has much better reviews.

Danuak I would agree I would do Renaissance too over the Roosevelt, unless you are into the Classic Hollywood History or want to see a ghost hehe! The Renaissance is newer and had some lovely rennovations in style (people weren't thrilled with what they opened with so they changed things). It is also a great location with all the shops, sightseeing and the theaters all right there. And the Metro station is right between the complex and the Chinese theater.

Is there public parking close to Grauman's and Walk of Fame? Can we drive and park ourselves instead of having to take a tour?

Is there public parking close to Grauman's and Walk of Fame? Can we drive and park ourselves instead of having to take a tour?

Yes its very easy! Personally for the price I suggest the Hollywood and Highland center parking. You get off the 101 at Highland, follow down and on your right, immediately before Hollywood Blvd. you will see a parking garage (just past the Renaissance Hotel), I believe its 2 hours free and they validate your parking at the shops and restaurants in the complex (pick the place with the HIGHEST time validation since some places give you more then others).

The complex is home to the Kodak theater, then if you walk through the complex as I mentioned above to the street , across the way you will see El Capitan/Disney Store/Malt Shop, if you make a right and head up the street a little ways you will see the Chinese Theater and while you walk you will be on the Walk of Fame.

For those who haven't been their and have kids, watch out for the dressed characters. Some of them look really cool, but none take a picture for FREE!! They all expect money. So if you don't want to pay don't try and take posed pictures.

PS- If I sound partial to the El Capitan I am!!!! Disney does an AMAZING job of showing new or special Disney films there and they always add an extra. They have had full sets out to see (Haunted Manison and more), props (NBC and others), full dance numbers (several including Enchanted), Princess Tea Parties (Princess Diaries). These happen all the time just check the website. The theater is also stunning and has a live Organ player, that alone is worth the price of admission (pretty much a standard movie ticket).
http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/el_capitan/

ETA: Don't park on the other side of Hollywood, or up Hollywood in the standard lots they charge $10-$15, and don't validate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter