Hot sauce?

kimblebee

now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents
I need some suggestions from my American friends please :)

What is a good hot sauce that is available at Target or Walmart? It has to be hotter than Franks but not burn your face hot. My husband has tried everything available up here and wants something hotter. My parents are in Minneapolis for the week and can do food shopping (the best part of States trips).

Also, what's a good, hot, brand of chips. I have a friend who I always buy hot chips for. A while ago there were Doritos in a dark green bag (I think) that he could only eat a few of at a time. Are those still around or am I remembering incorrectly?

The best hot sauce I've had is El Yucateco...meets all the criteria you posted. Far superior in my mind to Frank's, Cholula, Tabasco, Louisiana, all of the mass-produced better known brands. It's only $1.99 a bottle at my Walmart.

The best hot sauce I've had is El Yucateco...meets all the criteria you posted. Far superior in my mind to Frank's, Cholula, Tabasco, Louisiana, all of the mass-produced better known brands. It's only $1.99 a bottle at my Walmart.

Thank you. I will pass this on to my mom. The only problem now is that he tries it and likes it. I'll turn into my friends who post on fb asking if anyone is going to the States soon to do some grocery shopping LOL

:blush: Sorry - I misunderstood. It thought you were looking for something available here, not "only in America" stuff. That said, can your Mom please bring me back some OTC Prilosec? :teeth:

:blush: Sorry - I misunderstood. It thought you were looking for something available here, not "only in America" stuff. That said, can your Mom please bring me back some OTC Prilosec? :teeth:

I'm not specifically looking for 'only in America' stuff. I just know there'd be stuff we can't get here.

LOL at you being another person looking for someone in the States to do shopping. I think it's part of our national identity.

Depends on your location. My favorite common sauce is Huy Fong Sriracha. The distribution is extremely wide but I don't know how deep it would go into the midwest. Certainly it's found in Walmarts on the west coast.

I don't think I've ever seen Doritos Salsa Verde here in south Jersey, but they sound fabulous. I'll look again.

Depends on your location. My favorite common sauce is Huy Fong Sriracha. The distribution is extremely wide but I don't know how deep it would go into the midwest. Certainly it's found in Walmarts on the west coast.

I clearly said they are going to be in Minneapolis.

I clearly said they are going to be in Minneapolis.

I did a lot of edits as I wrote it. The first sentence was probably something I should have removed because my initial thought was that you were asking what you might find close to home before I read further. Then I was wondering if those might be in your area since distribution is often regional.

Still - I'm not sure if it's something that you're familiar with. I'd be surprised if Huy Fong Sriracha wasn't something that you could get locally - especially if you know where the Asian grocers are in your area. Another one is their "Sambal Oelek", which is more of a jalapeño chili paste.

sambal-oelek.png

And El Yucateco would clearly be out of your parameters. It uses habanero as its base, and anyone who isn't used to the heat will feel an intense pain as a result. My favorite from them is the "Kutbil-Ik" version that uses crushed peppers and not a puree like their more common versions. It's also hotter. Their most common ones (and the ones typically at discount stores) are the red or green versions. The "Kutbil-Ik" doesn't contain any food colorings, but the red or green ones use artificial colors. I understand they all use green habareno, but it naturally turns sort of beige when prepared.

sauce_image_3.png
sauce_image_5.png
sauce_image_4.png

Crystal might be a bit hotter than Frank's and is pretty easy to find anywhere in the US. It's similar to Frank's though. Maybe Tabasco, but I'm sure your husband has had it before since you mention he's tried a bunch of sauces.

I don't know what else you might find - maybe one of the Mexican-style sauces like Tapatio or Choulula.

I did a lot of edits as I wrote it. The first sentence was probably something I should have removed because my initial thought was that you were asking what you might find close to home before I read further. Then I was wondering if those might be in your area since distribution is often regional.

Still - I'm not sure if it's something that you're familiar with. I'd be surprised if Huy Fong Sriracha wasn't something that you could get locally - especially if you know where the Asian grocers are in your area. Another one is their "Sambal Oelek", which is more of a jalapeño chili paste.

sambal-oelek.png

And El Yucateco would clearly be out of your parameters. It uses habanero as its base, and anyone who isn't used to the heat will feel an intense pain as a result. My favorite from them is the "Kutbil-Ik" version that uses crushed peppers and not a puree like their more common versions. It's also hotter. Their most common ones (and the ones typically at discount stores) are the red or green versions. The "Kutbil-Ik" doesn't contain any food colorings, but the red or green ones use artificial colors. I understand they all use green habareno, but it naturally turns sort of beige when prepared.

sauce_image_3.png
sauce_image_5.png
sauce_image_4.png

Crystal might be a bit hotter than Frank's and is pretty easy to find anywhere in the US. It's similar to Frank's though. Maybe Tabasco, but I'm sure your husband has had it before since you mention he's tried a bunch of sauces.

I don't know what else you might find - maybe one of the Mexican-style sauces like Tapatio or Choulula.

Thanks for your descriptions. I'll show him your post tomorrow and see if they appeal to him.

The only problem now is that he tries it and likes it. I'll turn into my friends who post on fb asking if anyone is going to the States soon to do some grocery shopping LOL

So what we need to do is place our respective orders and then take turns going back and forth to swap. I'll take Original Goodhost Iced Tea, Hickory Sticks, Coffee Crisps, Shreddies, Moritz Icy Squares and some Smarties and Old Dutch Ketchup chips for my eight year-old and trade you for whatever you want from here. I can make some product recommendations if need be, like Grillmates Mesquite marinade packets or Trader Joe's products in addition to your case of hot sauces.

We just got back from nearly three weeks in Canada and were able to bring back a few things, but my in-laws are coming down in October and hopefully bringing me some more items on my list. We have often talked about doing a weekend trip to Montreal just so we can pick up the bulkier items that don't fly well, like cereals or snack foods.

So what we need to do is place our respective orders and then take turns going back and forth to swap. I'll take Original Goodhost Iced Tea, Hickory Sticks, Coffee Crisps, Shreddies, Moritz Icy Squares and some Smarties and Old Dutch Ketchup chips for my eight year-old and trade you for whatever you want from here. I can make some product recommendations if need be, like Grillmates Mesquite marinade packets or Trader Joe's products in addition to your case of hot sauces.

We just got back from nearly three weeks in Canada and were able to bring back a few things, but my in-laws are coming down in October and hopefully bringing me some more items on my list. We have often talked about doing a weekend trip to Montreal just so we can pick up the bulkier items that don't fly well, like cereals or snack foods.

Since Jif came back to Canada the only thing I stick up on are no sugar brownie mixes. I can't be bothered to get up and find the brand but it comes in a blue box.

Funny side story..

About a year ago (I don't remember the thread) I was on a thread and it dissolved into everyone placing orders for things they wanted me to bring from Canada. I was up to about ten crates of stuff..and a moose. That was a fun thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter