Hot Butterbeer & Grinchmas Cheer-Dec 2017 Xmas & Birthday TR-Completed-4/25

Raeven

DIS Veteran
Love the parks in the dark! And JP is quite spooky when there is no one else around.......

Pictures are lovely!
Yes they look so different at night it's always cool to see. JP is spooky at night! It's awesome.

Thank you!

I'm with you. I find all the devices held up high in the air super distracting. If you face can see it, your phone can also see it at face-height.
Yeah it makes no sense. And I'm all for people filming and taking pictures wherever, but if you can see it with your eyes so can your camera at eye level :rotfl:

I strongly relate to this!
I love listening to The Hulk roar :lmao: we could hear it every time we stepped outside RPR too which was hilarious.

wdwnut61

DIS Veteran
I love your castle pictures the park does look so pretty at night
DD is a huge Marvel fan she especially loved the Superhero area
We were so excited one afternoon to catch Captain America he was great

Raeven

DIS Veteran
I love your castle pictures the park does look so pretty at night
Thank you! I wish they came out a little better, but it was sooo crowded.

DD is a huge Marvel fan she especially loved the Superhero area
We were so excited one afternoon to catch Captain America he was great
Ooo I've seen him out and about. He always has the longest line though. I've met all of the X-Men they've had there though. :rotfl: I'd love to see Spiderman or Green Goblin out and about but I haven't yet.

• wdwnut61

DIS Veteran

Ooo I've seen him out and about. He always has the longest line though. I've met all of the X-Men they've had there though. :rotfl: I'd love to see Spiderman or Green Goblin out and about but I haven't yet.
    Years ago when my girls were younger and before HP we saw Spider-Man in a store across from his ride. I didn’t see him out either this trip.
    You had mentioned before about the bar that goes across your legs on Escape from Gringotts
    That was so uncomfortable I sat in the front seat the first time and my knees were in my chest
    Next time we had the back seat much better but our feet didn’t reach the ground
    Love the ride but I wish they would get rid of that xtra bar on the legs

Last edited:

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Years ago when my girls were younger and before HP we saw Spider-Man in a store across from his ride. I didn’t see him out either this trip.
    Love the picture! I don't think I've ever seen him out actually, I did see the Green Goblin once but he was running through the queue of the ride and didn't stop :rotfl:

You had mentioned before about the bar that goes across your legs on Escape from Gringotts
    That was so uncomfortable I sat in the front seat the first time and my knees were in my chest
    Next time we had the back seat much better but our feet didn’t reach the ground
    Love the ride but I wish they would get rid of that xtra bar on the legs
    Yes we were in the back and the way it was holding my legs I wasn't touching the floor and one of them started to fall asleep! We may have been in the front before, and I'm not sure if I noticed it there.

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Day 4-The Last Day

So I'm afraid our last day wasn't really an eventful one. We had ended up staying up until 2 am ish packing after our late night dinner at Antojitos the night before. We also had a the Grinch breakfast booked for 8 am the next day so we could have some park time before leaving...I'll let you know what we knew at 2 am: there was no way we'd be getting up for that :rotfl:

Of course I wanted to go (mostly because it was prepaid), but I was also exhausted, and when Josh voted for sleeping I may have found that more than a little persuasive. So we didn't really do anything our last day. We woke up in time to shower, pack, watch some of Spy Kids, and leave.

Goodbye to our view :sad:

Goodbye to RPR :sad:

I should mention here that after staying at RPR yet again, this has easily become my favorite at Universal (though I do love them all and Portofino Bay is gorgeous). I couldn't find a good price for our next stay, but I may have been periodically checking until I found one this weekend :rolleyes1 So I am happy to report we'll be back at RPR in 17 days!

Once we got to the airport, we made it through Skycap and security in less than an hour. It was very busy though, they weren't asking anyone to take anything out of bags or scanning anyone. Although the zen garden Josh bought in Epcot got us briefly detained :rotfl: I don't know how often they ask people about that "powder" in their bag, and it's sand from a zen garden. Honestly, we didn't even think about it, everything was still all wrapped up because they're breakable. Luckily, we didn't have to unwrap it or anything, because that would've been a mess.

Once we made it through security and into the Southwest terminal, we ate lunch at Cask and Larder.

Cask and Larder Review

On the flight home I mostly just sorted pictures from the trip, which is what I usually do on the way home. The only really notable thing that happened was that I opened my tray, and it was covered, and I mean completely covered in crumbs :crazy2: It was so gross, and so clear it hadn't been cleaned at all between flights. I usually wipe down all the trays and armrests etc, but I just decided to keep it closed because I really didn't want to touch the crumbs.

As we were landing I heard this gem from the child behind me "Dad, when the plane was going down it was on fire!"

Luckily, our flight home wasn’t quite that eventful:rotfl:

And here's our last night in IOA/last day vlog:

Next up
    We'll close this TR out with a wrap up post, which I'll hopefully get up sometime this weekend!

Last edited:
  • Lesley Wake

DIS Veteran
    Although the zen garden Josh bought in Epcot got us briefly detained :rotfl: I don't know how often they ask people about that "powder" in their bag, and it's sand from a zen garden. Honestly, we didn't even think about it, everything was still all wrapped up because they're breakable. Luckily, we didn't have to unwrap it or anything, because that would've been a mess.
    That is hilarious! Never thought about that!

wdwnut61

DIS Veteran
    Sometimes you gotta sleep in especially towards the end of the trip
    Just watched your latest vlog and loved the castle lights show
    The music was great can’t wait to show it to DD
    I fly down to Florida next week to move her back for the summer
    I agree with Josh that whole super hero area looks so much better at night
    I’m glad you get to stay at RPR for your upcoming stay it is such a beautiful resort
    I’ve been checking AP rates for the summer to surprise DD with a quick stay since we have AP’s

buzzrelly

DIS Veteran
    Just catching up on everyone's trip reports since we just got back from vacation!

I love all the nighttime pics. That castle show looks amazing but I kind of hate the crowds too. We did the HEA dessert party this trip and then I totally planned on just trying to catch it again another night from Main Street and I couldn't believe the people lining up for their spot 2 hours before the show :confused3 No, thanks. I can't even imagine the UO crowds though, as I recall that area being super crowded just in general.

Bummer about missing your breakfast but I'm sure it was way more relaxing to sleep in, especially after staying up till 2!

Gross about the crumbs on your airplane tray :crazy2::crazy2::crazy2: I don't think the flight attendants ever clean the plane between flights, do you? There's literally no time…once they unboard all the people from the flight, they are almost immediately boarding again, at least on Southwest. I always bring my clorox wipes and wipes everything down.

Great trip report! Can't wait to read more of your future adventures :D

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Sometimes you gotta sleep in especially towards the end of the trip
    Agreed :thumbsup2

Just watched your latest vlog and loved the castle lights show
    The music was great can’t wait to show it to DD
    I fly down to Florida next week to move her back for the summer
    They're going to have the same one again next year for the holidays (I think), but they currently are doing a non Christmas one I believe.

I love all the nighttime pics. That castle show looks amazing but I kind of hate the crowds too. We did the HEA dessert party this trip and then I totally planned on just trying to catch it again another night from Main Street and I couldn't believe the people lining up for their spot 2 hours before the show :confused3 No, thanks. I can't even imagine the UO crowds though, as I recall that area being super crowded just in general.
    I haven't been able to catch HEA from Main St since we did the dessert party the night it debuted :confused3 we're always to late and it's completely full. We're going to try again this trip though. That area is super tight/comes around a corner so it's already pretty narrow.

Bummer about missing your breakfast but I'm sure it was way more relaxing to sleep in, especially after staying up till 2!
    Yes definitely!

Gross about the crumbs on your airplane tray :crazy2::crazy2::crazy2: I don't think the flight attendants ever clean the plane between flights, do you? There's literally no time…once they unboard all the people from the flight, they are almost immediately boarding again, at least on Southwest. I always bring my clorox wipes and wipes everything down.
    It was so gross! I think they kind of wipe the trays down but I could be wrong? We always wipe them off because who knows what people put on them, but I've never had anything on a plane be outright dirty or have a mess or garbage on it.

Great trip report! Can't wait to read more of your future adventures :D
    Thank you! Our next adventure is in a little over 2 weeks!

• wdwnut61

DIS Veteran
    Just had to share
    So when we stayed at Universal in March I upgraded our tickets to AP
    I knew we would be returning Thanksgiving week for all the Christmas stuff and next March since DD’s Spring Break is earlier.
    I decided to play around with some dates in May when I found really low airfare on SW
    Still not trying to think about the crumbs on the tray :crazy2:
    We our now booked for 7 days May 20-26 at Universal :cool1:
    I got the HRH pool view for 229 a night for 4 nights and Cabana Bay Tower family suite for 134 a night for 2 nights
    We’re thrilled to be going back so soon
    Your trip is right around the corner :cheer2:

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    I decided to play around with some dates in May when I found really low airfare on SW
    That's awesome! We booked airfare awhile ago because I expected it to go down, but it only got higher. Then this week I looked, and the flights were $200 cheaper, since you can exchange flights on Southwest for the same one and get credit back I did that. So now it looks like our December flights are basically paid for!

Still not trying to think about the crumbs on the tray :crazy2:
    It was so gross :crazy2: But what's even more gross is something I read online about airlines awhile ago. Apparently they advise you always clean stuff like that yourself because people use the trays for really gross things...like changing their babies. I guess that's more common that anyone would think.
    We our now booked for 7 days May 20-26 :cool1:
    I got the HRH pool view for 229 a night for 4 nights and Cabana Bay Tower family suite for 134 a night for 2 nights
    Awesome! We changed to RPR at the last minute and it was only $215 a night. We seem to have good luck finding a better deal the closer we get.

We’re so excited to be going back so soon
    Your trip is right around the corner :cheer2:
    Yes! And yours is too!

wdwnut61

DIS Veteran

That's awesome! We booked airfare awhile ago because I expected it to go down, but it only got higher. Then this week I looked, and the flights were $200 cheaper, since you can exchange flights on Southwest for the same one and get credit back I did that. So now it looks like our December flights are basically paid for!
    That’s great I do love that about SW we used points for our flight down and hoping to use the points from this trip for November
    It’s like the stock market watching the prices go and down
    My DH is a germaphob so we always have Lysol wipes on hand lol
    Can’t wait to experience Fast and Furious

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    That’s great I do love that about SW we used points for our flight down and hoping to use the points from this trip for November
    It’s like the stock market watching the prices go and down
    My DH is a germaphob so we always have Lysol wipes on hand lol
    Can’t wait to experience Fast and Furious
    Yeah with points and the credit we should be all set for December which is great. I was surprised the prices went down I don't really check all that often, but just decided to see. Most our other flights are booked first thing when they're $98 which they don't usually go below here. Oh yeah, I always carry the wipes too since I got sick the first few trips we took. Me too! We don't really care about the movies, but I like when they add new rides that aren't too extreme because that means I can ride them!

amalone1013

DIS Veteran
    On the flight home I mostly just sorted pictures from the trip, which is what I usually do on the way home. The only really notable thing that happened was that I opened my tray, and it was covered, and I mean completely covered in crumbs :crazy2: It was so gross, and so clear it hadn't been cleaned at all between flights. I usually wipe down all the trays and armrests etc, but I just decided to keep it closed because I really didn't want to touch the crumbs.
    Gross!
    I had to pop in because this is exactly why I love SW :) Our flights to Long Beach last month actually went down in price 3-5 days out, it was crazy!

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Wrap Up Post

Well I think it's about time to wrap this up! Since I've wrapped up my other TR, and my DTR for this trip.

And to answer all the questions posed in the intro (spark note version in case you didn't read everything):

Will we finally make it on Poseidon's Fury?

We finally did! And now that we've crossed that off our list we can feel free to never go on it again :rotfl:

Who will be the MIB champ this time?

Another tie! I'll get Josh next time :thumbsup2

Will we get to meet Shrek & Donkey?

Yes! That was one of the weirdest and most exciting meet and greets we did, and I highly recommend you watch the vlog for that day to see it (link on the first page).

Will it ever be hot enough to wear shorts?

Yes! Just barely, but one day I got to wear them for a couple hours :laughing:

What's my favorite Butterbeer? (Now that I've finally tried them all)

Still frozen! I haven't had one since last December either so I'm looking forward to getting one on our next trip. I also like the hot Butterbeer and the ice cream.

What store in Universal has the funniest name?

We always laugh so hard. We found out this trip they sell custom cotton candy which isn't my kind of thing at all, but I still think the name is hilarious.I'm not sure if I mentioned it in the TR actually, but we did go in it, in the vlog for that day. The store named Honk Honkers in Suess Landing :rotfl:

Will we make it to everything we mentioned in the PTR?

Nope! Overall we did everything we set out to do, except the Grinch breakfast on the last day was a total failure.
    It especially stinks because you pre-pay, but we were just way too tired.

But we had a lot of fun on this trip, and we plan to be back for Christmastime next year too (just a week earlier).

We're also going back to Universal/Disney in 9 days! Here's the PTR if you want to follow along on the final itinerary posts.

I'll also probably post a last vlog on there before we go of outtakes and unseen moments from this trip.

It might be sometime next week because I'm having some issues with my computer right now, and can't get a new one until we get back so for now I'm on Josh's.

Last edited:

Lesley Wake

DIS Veteran
    Glad you had a good trip and have fun on your trip!

Will we finally make it on Poseidon's Fury?

We finally did! And now that we've crossed that off our list we can feel free to never go on it again :rotfl:
    Haha, good to know so I won't need to worry about doing that!

pepperandchips

[melinda]
    9 days?! WOOT!!! I just booked a night at RPR during our thanksgiving trip for R's bday so we can get the two days of EP. I'm going back to universal!!! Woo hoo! Now to wait six months... :sad:

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates

UNIVERSAL PODCASTS

UNIVERSAL ORLANDO VIDEOS

UNIVERSAL ATTRACTIONS