Hot Butterbeer & Grinchmas Cheer-Dec 2017 Xmas & Birthday TR-Completed-4/25

Raeven

DIS Veteran
Great update!
Thank you!

I just rode in October and I don't remember that at all :confused3
Maybe it's something we just didn't notice before? I guess I never thought about it.

It's funny, I love Diagon Alley, but it's almost so well done that it overshadows any of the Christmas decorations. I really had to look hard for them in your pictures :bitelip:
I thought so too! I was really excited about the decorations, and I know they wanted to go subtle with them, but I really didn't feel like there was much to see at all decorations-wise.

Mine is the Butterbeer ice-cream, but I haven't tried the hot one yet.

Ooo I forgot about the ice cream I like that one too.

Gorgeous! I'm convinced Florida has the most beautiful sunsets on the planet :lovestruc

Me too!

Ugh I'm so far behind but I'm here! Now I have to go rewatch all of your vlogs because I forgot where I left off haha
:rotfl:

Raeven

DIS Veteran
Day 3, Part 1-Grinchmas Cheer & Time Travel

The next morning we slept in and watched some Maury :rotfl: Because what else do you watch on vacation?

Also it was a very exciting day because the weather was finally nice enough to wear shorts!

Then we headed to Jake's:

Jake's American Bar Review

We also stopped at the arcade after because Josh likes to play the boxing game, but he punched it so hard that it stopped working for a few minutes :lmao:It'll be in the vlog, but there was a little kid in the arcade with his dad who was watching Josh wide eyed, and he was like "You punched it so hard you broke it!" We actually thought he broke it too, but it started working again right before the last time he tried.

Aw an adorable skinny squirrel eating a potato chip :laughing:

We had entered Islands of Adventure!

We actually didn't do many Christmas themed activities which I'm kind of disappointed about now. I wanted to see the Grinchmas show this year, but we didn't feel like waiting for the next one so we skipped it.

We did take a ride on the High in Sky Trolley Ride though:

Next up we finally went on an attraction we've never made it onto before! Usually when we step up to Poseidon's Fury there's always a 20 minute wait, but this time we were told to go right in....then we waited inside for 20 mins where I had 0 cell service.

Sorry to those who like it, but I'm doubting we'll ever do this attraction again. This attraction was not quite what I expected at all. It was long after a long wait, at some point we got hit with water that smelled kind of gross, and the climax was straight 90's CGI. It definitely felt like we time traveled back to the 90's :rotfl:

Because we had started our day late, it was just about time to hop over to Universal Studios for the Macy's Parade. (We'd be back after that to see the rest of the park).

We got to USO rather quickly so we played a round of Men In Black.

This round tied us up at 3-3, with Josh winning, which is where our score stays because this is the last time we got to go on it for this trip.

So it looks like we have another tie! (I think we tied last time too).

Next we went to find seats for the Macy's Holiday Parade. Last year we didn't make the parade a priority, but I was pretty excited about the new floats this year including one of...

Continued in next post

Last edited:
  • Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Day 3, Part 2-Macy's Holiday Parade

Here's my pictures from the Macy's Parade:

I love all the confetti they have during Universal parades!

Minions float:

Madagascar:

And here it comes!

(Also the sunset that night was looking gorgeous!)

I loved the Shrek section!

Then there was a regular Christmas section:

The fake snow was pretty awesome too. The globs of it were actually pretty big and took awhile to dissolve, and they kept getting stuck all over my sweater :rotfl:

The night sky was really pretty too, especially with all the snoap.

We really enjoyed the Macy's Holiday Parade even more than I thought. It was very easy to get a spot last minute, and I would definitely see it again.

Next up
    The vlog from our time in IOA & the Macy's Parade & IOA at night

buzzrelly

DIS Veteran
    We also stopped at the arcade after because Josh likes to play the boxing game, but he punched it so hard that it stopped working for a few minutes :lmao:It'll be in the vlog, but there was a little kid in the arcade with his dad who was watching Josh wide eyed, and he was like "You punched it so hard you broke it!"
    :laughing: It probably wasn't designed to take a punch from a grown man!

We did take a ride on the High in Sky Trolley Ride though:

Oh my, the colors and that sky :love:

This attraction was not quite what I expected at all. It was long after a long wait, at some point we got hit with water that smelled kind of gross, and the climax was straight 90's CGI. It definitely felt like we time traveled back to the 90's :rotfl:
    I don't even recall this attraction being there…guess I didn't miss much!

We really enjoyed the Macy's Holiday Parade even more than I thought. It was very easy to get a spot last minute, and I would definitely see it again.
    Looks like fun!

schumigirl

It's a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts
    Love Agent Dale Cooper in there again.......:lovestruc

Your parade pictures are lovely.......we were impressed with it too, and like you more than we thought we would be.

Enjoying your updates........

• macraven

Proud Redhead
    Wow!

Those Macy parade pictures are fabulous

One of these years I will try to be at the darkside to see it in person.

amalone1013

DIS Veteran
    The parade looks fun! Your pictures are great!

Sorry to those who like it, but I'm doubting we'll ever do this attraction again. This attraction was not quite what I expected at all. It was long after a long wait, at some point we got hit with water that smelled kind of gross, and the climax was straight 90's CGI. It definitely felt like we time traveled back to the 90's :rotfl:
    This is so 90s, I love it :rotfl: the effects are so bad at the end! We went in not knowing what to expect.... and Zack was like, this is great!! :confused3 Alright... I think its very dependent on your. . Guide? Tho... we went back in on the last day, when we had our people that could only come for a day... not something I would take one day people to, unless it was reallllllly slow :laughing: but our guide the second time wasn't very good. Zack was still thrilled... I was just like, I love you, but you know the rest of the group thinks you're nuts, right?

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    :laughing: It probably wasn't designed to take a punch from a grown man!
    I don't think so either :rotfl:

I don't even recall this attraction being there…guess I didn't miss much!
    It's sort of off to the side, and this is the first time we've ever walked by that they were letting people in. You didn't miss much though.

Love Agent Dale Cooper in there again.......:lovestruc

Your parade pictures are lovely.......we were impressed with it too, and like you more than we thought we would be.

Enjoying your updates........

Thank you, it was a really nice Christmas parade.

:rotfl2: Cops is our vacation show
    That's a good one! I like to watch Maury and funny judge shows too on vacation :rotfl:

I love that it has Donkey!
    Me too!

Those Macy parade pictures are fabulous

One of these years I will try to be at the darkside to see it in person.

Thank you.

I love the changes they made this year with the floats.

The parade looks fun! Your pictures are great!
    It was! Thank you!

This is so 90s, I love it :rotfl: the effects are so bad at the end! We went in not knowing what to expect.... and Zack was like, this is great!! :confused3 Alright... I think its very dependent on your. . Guide? Tho... we went back in on the last day, when we had our people that could only come for a day... not something I would take one day people to, unless it was reallllllly slow :laughing: but our guide the second time wasn't very good. Zack was still thrilled... I was just like, I love you, but you know the rest of the group thinks you're nuts, right?
    Yes :rotfl: Josh thought the end was funny, but at the end we both agreed never to do it again. Once we got in there I wasn't sure how long before we got to leave. It felt like we waited forever with no cell service and then I had no idea how long the attraction took. I wouldn't bring people on a 1 day thing either, it takes quite some time and it's taken us a lot of trips to do it and I never felt like it was something we had to do.

• amalone1013

DIS Veteran
    Yes :rotfl: Josh thought the end was funny, but at the end we both agreed never to do it again. Once we got in there I wasn't sure how long before we got to leave. It felt like we waited forever with no cell service and then I had no idea how long the attraction took. I wouldn't bring people on a 1 day thing either, it takes quite some time and it's taken us a lot of trips to do it and I never felt like it was something we had to do.
    Zack was so in love with the water tunnel... I was like, this would be neater if it didn't stink and it wasn't misting me :rotfl:

wdwnut61

DIS Veteran
    We had so much fun that we plan on returning in November especially since we have AP’s :cool1:
    We liked Jakes the food and :drinking1we’re great and it was never overcrowded
    There’s something about Disney squirrels that makes them xtra cute
    Your parade pictures are so pretty can’t wait to see all the Christmas stuff

Lesley Wake

DIS Veteran
    Those floats look so cute! I'm definitely making it a priority to see it in December! (Watching your vlog too right now)

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Just noticed your new(?) avatar pic.
    So sweet!

Aw I just saw this, thank you.

We had so much fun that we plan on returning in November especially since we have AP’s :cool1:
    That's awesome! I'm glad you get to see the holiday stuff.

There’s something about Disney squirrels that makes them xtra cute
    They are. It's so weird to see such skinny little squirrels too.

Your parade pictures are so pretty can’t wait to see all the Christmas stuff
    Thank you, it was a really pretty night with the sunset too that all the pictures came out really well.

Those floats look so cute! I'm definitely making it a priority to see it in December! (Watching your vlog too right now)
    Yes! It was a lot better than I thought it would be, I loved the Shrek section :rotfl:

Last edited:

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Day 3, Part 3-IOA Nights

After the Macy's Parade was over it was very crowded in Universal Studios as the crowd dispersed and went to leave or head to IOA for the new holiday show on the Hogwarts castle. We figured trying to get there on the Hogwarts Express would be a nightmare, so we walked over to the entrance. We've actually never been in IOA at night since it always seems to close early when we're there, and I was really excited to see it all at night :hyper:.

We didn't really have time to stop because I don't think we had a lot of time before park close (maybe an hour or so), but I think when we go in May it should be dark one night, and I want to ride the High in the Sky Trolley ride to see all the lights.

This time we followed the crowd from the entrance to Hogsmeade, and wow was it crowded. People were really packed in, and the TM's were telling everyone to stand to one side so people could still come up the other side, but most people weren't listening, and there didn't seem to be much they could do. We probably got to about the frog choir stage before the crowd stopped moving (I wanted to be in this general area), but I really didn't think it would be this busy since it was later in the night.

Our view was good, but everyone holding their phones in the air was kind of distracting. I don't mind if people film or take pictures, I was doing it too, but I never hold my phone over the height of my head when I'm filming something.

It's kind of hard to see what's going on in pictures, but I did my best to get video too. I will say when I saw a video of it, I thought it was amazing! It's a really cool show, but being packed into a giant crowd like sardines did kind of detract from the experience. I thought maybe we'd see it more than once too, but I didn't want to stand in that crowd any longer than we had too.

It was still a great show, and I'm hoping when the new one opens that we'll catch a night when crowds won't be so bad to see it or they'll have something better in place so it doesn't feel so crammed in. It's hard because that's a very narrow area, but this was the first time they did something like this so they're probably still working on improving it.

After we escaped from the crowds we headed to a place I've always wanted to see at night, Jurassic Park!

After doing the regular "oh this dinosaur is so scary" picture, Josh said we should do something different for the next one.

So here I am sneaking up on a T-Rex:

And maybe I'm a T-Rex too? I'm not sure but that's what it looks like.

And here's Josh telling the T-Rex what a good boy he is:

We walked through Toon Lagoon:

We headed into Marvel Superhero Island and we loved how it looked at night! My camera didn't take any non blurry photos though, but we thought it looked even better than during the day.

We rode Spiderman because I can't go to IOA, and not ride Spiderman! My dad, brother, and I used to watch the Spiderman cartoons when we were kids, and go see every superhero movie. I always love all the little details in the Spiderman queue:

And here's a skinny little Spiderman tree in the gift shop:

We headed to The Hulk so Josh could ride while I sat with our things and listened to the The Hulk roar :rotfl:

HideousDentalDevilfish-max-1mb.gif

Josh came back shortly after though because the line was really long even for EP and single rider. We headed back to the hotel room around 7 pm ish. We had planned to hang out there and do some laundry (yes, even though we were going home the next day :laughing:) until we got hungry enough for dinner.

It took us awhile to get hungry again, and we didn't leave for Citywalk until like 10:30-11ish.

I don't know what my bangs were doing :rotfl:

But we were headed to Antojitos!

Antojitos Review

Miles walked: 6.1 miles

Next up

We have our final day post, final vlog, & then a wrap up post!

Last edited:

schumigirl

It's a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts
    Love the parks in the dark! And JP is quite spooky when there is no one else around.......

Pictures are lovely!

MeghanEmily

DIS Veteran
    I think when we go in May it should be dark one night, and I want to ride the High in the Sky Trolley ride to see all the lights.
    :thumbsup2 I loved doing this on our last visit!

Our view was good, but everyone holding their phones in the air was kind of distracting. I don't mind if people film or take pictures, I was doing it too, but I never hold my phone over the height of my head when I'm filming something.
    I'm with you. I find all the devices held up high in the air super distracting. If you face can see it, your phone can also see it at face-height.

We headed to The Hulk so Josh could ride while I sat with our things and listened to the The Hulk roar :rotfl:
    I strongly relate to this!

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates

UNIVERSAL PODCASTS

UNIVERSAL ORLANDO VIDEOS

UNIVERSAL ATTRACTIONS