"Hooking up"

ItsAllen

Earning My Ears
I personally find this gross and don't want any part of it. Hearing, seeing, or partaking. What's the best way to avoid this? And I don't want sarcastic responses....I think it's gross and morally wrong to have sex with someone you aren't in a relationship with.

The DCP should bring all great memories in the future. You need to make sure that there are no regrets. One of the ways to stay away from this is to watch your intake of alcohol. Drinking lowers one's ability to think of anything except what they want right now! It's unfortunate that people will always be on the lookout for others who are under the influence and take advantage of it.
Having a designated non drinking friend is always good if you have no tolerance for alcohol. The drinks today taste like candy and can quickly overcome someone.

Also, keeping the pride of who you are and what you have achieved in life can also help someone from making a mistake.

If you are not talking about yourself and you just want to avoid other people who hook up. I would advise having very clear talks with your room mates. This is for not just Disney but everywhere.

The world would be a much better place if other people stopped caring what two consenting adults do in the privacy of the bedroom.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

The world would be a much better place if other people stopped caring what two consenting adults do in the privacy of the bedroom.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

The world would be a better place if two adults acted like adults and weren't nasty.

The world would be a better place if two adults acted like adults and weren't nasty.

If it's that big of an issue, decline sponsored housing and rent your own apartment. Or, do your best to arrange like-minded roommates who are arriving when you are.

All persons participating in the College Program are adults. Whether they choose to act like one is their decision and theirs alone. If you don't approve of their choices, that's your prerogative. They have the right to live their life, same as you...

Welcome to the real world...

Hooking up, for better or for worse, is a part of the college program for many people and it is something that you will hear about in passing on break, on the bus, or just walking around the complexes. I think it's safe to say that if you are at least in a two bedroom or more apartment you will have at least one person who will have company over for those purposes (be it a one night stand, a program length "partner", or bf/gf). Talk to your roommates about it, but remember, what they do is their business so long as you're not a witness to it and it doesn't affect any of your belongings.

What I'm about to say I'm dead serious about. If you REALLY want to avoid hook up culture, go on facebook and see if there are any of the Mormon missionary students doing the program. My friend from back home got placed in an apartment with 3 of them randomly and they self enforced a no alcohol, no girls in the apartment, no swearing, no drugs set of rules.

I had one roomie, and while she did partake in the alcohol and other such things, she never did it in the apartment. She did come back sometimes drunk but no alcohol on her. We didn't have any issues as a result.

I liked her better than my current regular college roommates. :)

I will say, I don't like hook up culture and would never do it myself but I don't think plugging your ears to something that is commonly done in our culture is the best way to handle it. I wouldn't have cared if my roomies did it as long as it didn't involve me. I have had boyfriends and they have respected my desire but that is between them and myself.

That is my personal limitations, not anyone else's. Everyone is different and everyone has different needs.

Personally I would have to completely disagree with the op, however i wouldn't partake in such behavior do to personal moral beliefs that I have on myself. .

I think throwing people into this kind of housing set up is bound to lead to a few hookups. Nature of the beast, really. Some will come down with the intent to party and hook up and treat it like spring break. That's what they'll get out of it if they manage to last to the end of the program. A party.

I think the key is to find a balance between the fun stuff and working hard and making Disney connections. I mean, you are living in Disney World, having fun is basically a requirement.

On my side of things, if i get in, I won't be doing drinking at my apartment (although being 27, I won't be going near wellness housing) If I want a drink or two, I have Epcot a bus ride away. My wallet may hate me, but my mind and tastebuds will be very happy.

How do you avoid this at school?

Same thing.

The CP participants are a good cross representation of students in college in the U.S. Easy to find what you want to find. Easy to avoid what you don't want to be a part of.

1 way to avoid it is to not live in Vista Way (also known as Vista Lay by some of the residents) because you'll definitely end up hooking up as soon as you're settled in to your apartment.

Totally kidding. Just don't have sex.. :confused3

Honestly, Hooking up is a part of life now-a-days. You are all adults there and can respect other choices in their choices on fun. You may not like it, but it will still be there. Take that time at DCP to learn why people do that. the program is there as a learning experience. If you don't learn about the other side of things you think are wrong, you just won't get much out of the program. Welcome to life, it's just another part of it. And if it bothers you that much, maybe you're not ready to be a CP. hooking up is going to happen at every complex. the quietest place is west side of vista. But don't let this little outlook on life keep you from meeting people, going to parties, and having new experiences.

Other people hooking up has nothing to do with you hooking up. Let them do what they want, and you do what you want. Not really a problem.

Unless your roommate brings a partner into the room while you are in it, what difference does it make to you?

I personally find this gross and don't want any part of it. Hearing, seeing, or partaking. What's the best way to avoid this? And I don't want sarcastic responses....I think it's gross and morally wrong to have sex with someone you aren't in a relationship with.

Then don't

Honestly, just have an honest talk with your roommates about this. If they feel like hooking up is something they want to do, try to work out some house rules about it. Keep it in your own bedroom, don't do it while I'm in the room (which should be common decency, IMO), sock on the door, that kind of stuff. There is a 1 AM curfew, at which time all guests are supposed to leave, so you would have every right to remove an unwanted person from your apartment after that time and if you don't, the entire apartment can get in trouble. I had a roommate who was promiscuous. But she kept it to herself until about 3/4 of the way through the program, so I didn't even know until she told me. And I only ever had to kick one guy out between 3 girls. Bottom line, it can be avoided if you and your roommate have mutual respect for one another's boundaries and set up some basic rules.

Also, look for like minded people on the Facebook group (trust me, they're out there) if you want to avoid the situation altogether. Either way, I wouldn't let the fear of this ruin your experience. The amount of time you will be in your apartment will probably be minimal, so it probably won't be as big of an issue as you think. I hope this helps you, and I really hope you enjoy your program.:goodvibes

Howdy you bring up the topic to your roommates about hooking up

We had a general discussion about apartment rules. The hook up rules came up pretty naturally in the conversation. I know the topic can be a little awkward, but just remember that everyone you're having the conversation with is an adult and there's no shame in admitting to the fact that hook ups could make you uncomfortable. And if you and your roommates try a little, compromises can be made.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter