Honeymoon Help - Grand Floridian or Wilderness Lodge

joshdunford

Earning My Ears
My fiance are trying to decide on the best play to stay during our honeymoon. We just returned from a trip that we paid for ourselves in April - and we stayed at the French Quarter. This time is different considering money isn't an issue AND it's our honeymoon. Honestly, we were so pleased with FQ that we wouldn't even mind going back there, but you're supposed to go all out for your honeymoon, right?

We knew we wanted a Magic Kingdom resort; so after a good amount of research we narrowed it down to The Grand Floridian and Wilderness Lodge. I can honestly go either way at this point.

That being said, I've always wanted to stay at GF for as long as I've been going to WDW, but have never had an opportunity. Which is kind of the way I see this - an opportunity that we may never get again, totally unfettered.

Where we stay doesn't really phase her, she's just happy to be there, but she's leaning more toward Wilderness Lodge.

My big concerns are as follows

1). Is Grand Floridian just a really nice hotel or does it manage to retain that certain Disney Magic that I KNOW Wilderness Lodge would have. Because honestly, lavishness wouldn't matter one way or another if it didn't feel like we were at Disney.

2). I've read rumblings that Grand Floridian can be kind of stuffy as opposed to other resorts. Not Yacht Club stuffy, but still pretty up-tight. Is that true?

3). The Wilderness Lodge seems like a top-tier Moderate (which is totally fine), so what, other than theme and obvious Disney Magic, would we get for it over the GF?

What do you think, DISers? Lets have some super awesome insight!

We just got back from POR last week and loved that resort! We walked around GF and WL while we were there since we had dining reservations at both. If it were ME going for a honeymoon and money weren't an option, I would choose GF. My reason being it just seems "perfect" for a honeymoon! You also have a better view of the MK that you wouldn't get at WL. I also just love the monorail resorts. That's just my opinion, but no matter which you choose, it will be perfect because it IS your honeymoon and you are at WDW!!!!

Robin

Depending on the month that you're getting married, I might be swayed to say Wilderness Lodge. However, I am a GF fan.

But, if you're getting married in say January thru March, I might be inclined to say Wilderness Lodge. Any other months and I'd vote GF. I say this because of the weather. It can be cold and if you aren't interested in swimming, et al. Wilderness Lodge just seems comfier to me if it's cold.

If it's November or December, it would still be cold likely, but the GF Christmas tree and the Gingerbread house make that a deciding factor for me to stay there those times.

I am one of those who thinks that a Honeymoon should be special. Others will say to save your money and do 2 Disney trips. But you'll remember your Honeymoon for lots of reasons. I don't think you can go wrong with either resort. But the Grand is the flagship and it is awesome. I have 3 young children and they love it and don't want to go anywhere else, so it's Disney enough for them. You see Mickey and the gang everywhere at GF in the rooms and public areas. You won't feel like you're not in Disney. You'll feel like you're in Disney Heaven!

And while there will be children at every resort, I have found that children are behaved reasonably well at GF. Some parents behavior might have been questionable though :rotfl: .

For a honeymoon adult trip I'd actually prefer to be near Epcot and stay at either the Beach Club or Boardwalk, but out of your two choices I'd pick the Grand Floridian. I do like the WL, but for a honeymoon trip I'd pick the deluxe resort (WL is kind of in between a moderate and deluxe).

We honeymooned at WL and loved it. One unique thing about it that we really enjoyed was the ability to take quiet walks through the woods towards Fort Wilderness. We did this almost every day, and it was a nice contrast to the busy parks.

When comparing it to GF, the cost difference is noticeable. While this makes WL seem not as special for some, it made it a more affordable way to get Disney deluxe accommodations for us. If you want to spend more at WL, you could do Club Level or even a honeymoon suite, but I'm not sure how much money is no object. We booked a standard room and got an upgrade to a beautiful courtyard view. The location and decor just work great for us, and that's where we choose to stay still on family trips.

On the other hand, if GF is your dream resort and this is your chance to stay there, go for it. Being on the monorail loop is nice, and it is a very nice luxurious hotel. Either way you'll have a great Disney resort. :thumbsup2

Grand Floridian is my favorite resort and I don't consider it "stuffy" at all. The resort is beautiful, restaurants are good and being on the monorail is a big plus for me. Whatever you choose, have a wonderful time!!! :)

We did 2 nights at the GF after our wedding, and it was AMAZING. Not stuffy at all, and absolutely gorgeous. We stayed there the night of our wedding and the night after, then did 4 nights on the Disney Dream,, and then 7 nights at AKL. I still refer to it as our "epic honeymoon". We loved both resorts but in different ways. Have you considered a split say? That could work for you. Disney transferred all of our luggage for us from the contemporary (where we stayed leading up to wedding day) to the Grand Floridian, made it super easy.

I did a disney fairy tale wedding and honeymoon there and stayed at the grand floridian...utterly magical. But, the WL is also magical and more private. to me, if i were you, it all depends on what you are ultimately looking for. they both offer the disney experience beyond compare. i can remember waking up singing the opening gate song from the bed at the grand on my honeymoon...something i will never forget. but in the same breath i remember staying at the wilderness lodge feeling so cozy and much like i was home...loving all the cast members did to make you really feel like you were by your own fireplace at home. So...I know i did not really answer your question but pros and cons...they have both. for your honeymoon...what do you ultimately want to have? comfy...cozy...or...lavish luzury on the monorail? and believe me wilderness lodge is still luxury but in a total different aspect. And in my opinion...no matter which one you choose...you will not be disappointed one bit!

Congrats on the wedding and honeymoon upcoming and I wish you both pixie dust and all the luck in the world!

I was just in Disney World a few weeks ago for my wedding planning session. The Grand Floridian currently has some construction going on outside the building. I am unsure as to how when the construction is scheduled to end, but you may want to take that into consideration when planning.

My preference is the Wilderness Lodge. I just like the uniqueness of it.

I was just in Disney World a few weeks ago for my wedding planning session. The Grand Floridian currently has some construction going on outside the building. I am unsure as to how when the construction is scheduled to end, but you may want to take that into consideration when planning.

My preference is the Wilderness Lodge. I just like the uniqueness of it.

The construction is the DVC they are building as part of the Grand Floridian, in the area nearest the WP. Last I heard they are planning to complete construction (and possibly have guests occupying rooms) by October 2013. I stopped paying attention to the updates well before my wedding at the WP in November of 2012 though.

My fiance are trying to decide on the best play to stay during our honeymoon. We just returned from a trip that we paid for ourselves in April - and we stayed at the French Quarter. This time is different considering money isn't an issue AND it's our honeymoon. Honestly, we were so pleased with FQ that we wouldn't even mind going back there, but you're supposed to go all out for your honeymoon, right?

We knew we wanted a Magic Kingdom resort; so after a good amount of research we narrowed it down to The Grand Floridian and Wilderness Lodge. I can honestly go either way at this point.

That being said, I've always wanted to stay at GF for as long as I've been going to WDW, but have never had an opportunity. Which is kind of the way I see this - an opportunity that we may never get again, totally unfettered.

Where we stay doesn't really phase her, she's just happy to be there, but she's leaning more toward Wilderness Lodge.

My big concerns are as follows

1). Is Grand Floridian just a really nice hotel or does it manage to retain that certain Disney Magic that I KNOW Wilderness Lodge would have. Because honestly, lavishness wouldn't matter one way or another if it didn't feel like we were at Disney.

2). I've read rumblings that Grand Floridian can be kind of stuffy as opposed to other resorts. Not Yacht Club stuffy, but still pretty up-tight. Is that true?

3). The Wilderness Lodge seems like a top-tier Moderate (which is totally fine), so what, other than theme and obvious Disney Magic, would we get for it over the GF?

What do you think, DISers? Lets have some super awesome insight!

We've stayed at both resorts and both are great places to stay. Not sure what room category you're considering at each, but we've stayed standard as well as CL at both. The Poly is our favorite resort overall, but the GF and WL are not far behind. The WL is quite a bit cheaper than the GF, but if the GF has been at the top of your list, I would choose that for your honeymoon. We visited the GF many times prior to staying there and during those visits, I got that "stuffy" feeling, but had a totally different feeling once I stayed there. I don't think the GF is stuffy at all. As far as the WL goes, everyone has different opinions, but I think the WL is a great deluxe and isn't just a glorified moderate (but that's just MY opinion). With that said, both resorts are great and I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Having stayed at both, I would stay at GF. Nothing like sitting on your balcony watching the fireworks.

We have stayed in both. Although the lobby at WL is fantastic, the rooms are rather small. The rooms at GF are larger and much more elegantly furnished. So, I would stay GF -- especially since it's one stop on the monorail to get to MK. Couldn't be easier. The monorail to Epcot is fine, too.

The only thing that might sway me to stay WL over GF is if I could afford club level at WL. Club level is nice and we really enjoy the convenience of breakfast, snacks, beer and wine and appetizers in the evening.

As for ambience at GF, it's very, very nice. I don't find it stuffy at all. But, then, Yacht Club is our very favorite hotel on WDW property and we don't find that stuffy either. Perhaps it's us? Maybe we're stuffy? Who knows?

We like the pools at GF and the beach. The pools at GF are better than the pool at WL, which is rather small for the size of the resort. Dining options are better at GF because it has good restaurants plus you have the convenience of the monorail to go to other hotels for meals.

I'd go with GF unless I could afford WL Club Level and couldn't afford GF Club Level.

Enjoy your honeymoon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter