Honest opinions please, wheelchair related

cuppiecakebows

Earning My Ears
My daughter has CRPS, a chronic pain disease, and POTS. She’s in a wheelchair when she’s having a CRPS flare, when we know there is a lot of walking (her foot is her CRPS affected limb) or if it’s really crowded and we fear she will be stepped on or her foot may be bumped and cause a flare. We’ve not been to Disney World since her diagnosis two years ago. We would like to go the first week of March. She will definitely be in a wheelchair. She has a manual wheelchair and we are wondering if pushing her around the parks will be too much for us and if she would do better if we rented a power wheelchair. She will be 13 when we will be there and I didn’t know if there were age limits for scooter rentals. We will be staying on property, most likely Pop or Port Orleans and I wasn’t sure how using the busses would be for her in a scooter or in a power wheelchair. If we took her manual chair she would sit in a regular bus seat and fold the chair up. Has anyone used a transport chair instead of a manual wheelchair and if so, was it easier, because we have access to a transport chair if needed. My daughter is a bigger girl and I struggle pushing her up hills and getting her down hills safely in her manual chair. My husband can handle it, but I know there will be times when he and my son would go off and ride something us girls won’t be interested in riding, Mission Space for example. Any thoughts or opinions? What would you do?

Not to sound dumb, but If we would rent a scooter offsite could she use it in the parks?
sorry for the confusion but I meant yes there is an age limit most will rent to 18+ very few will rent to older teen ( 16 17) on a case by case basis. I can not see anyone renting to a 13-year-old. if you do let her use an ECV there is a good chance the CM will ask her not to use it. and if she would to run into someone she and you could be in trouble whether it was her fault or not. I would not risk it

Not to sound dumb, but If we would rent a scooter offsite could she use it in the parks?

Technically, no. The rental agreement is between the vendor and the user so you would risk voiding the rental agreement.

Randy’s will sometimes rent to an older teen who uses an ECV at home. A few vendors rent powerchairs, again typically to someone who uses one at home. Be aware a powerchair drives with a joystick which is very sensitive and takes some time to learn. You can certainly call some vendors to ask.

Enjoy your vacation.

The "contracts" that are signed are between company and rider. This would not work and if you "fudged" saying it was for you, or someone over 18, and anything happens you are setting yourself up for a case of liability. The "contracts" hold you accountable for accidents and costs. (As a minor, they cannot enter into any contract.)

Regarding pushing the wheelchair, just take it slow and take breaks if you need to. You may find it won’t be as difficult as you think.

If you’ve got both a manual wheelchair and a transport chair, my suggestion would be the wheelchair. The larger wheels are easier to push.

Many guests using manual wheelchairs choose to fold it and sit on the bus seats. You can still use the ramp to load, but just tell the driver you are going to fold it.

Another thing to consider is what kind of wheelchair she has. The deference between pushing a basic hospital grade chair and a proper custom ultralight is night and day. If you don't have experience pushing a wheelchair, yes it is going to be some effort. Good gloves like weight lifting, or bicycling gloves will help. I'd also be curious how much practice she has pushing herself. At 13, if she has a good chair I'd expect her to push herself at least around the resort, and maybe sometimes in the parks if there are times it's not too crowded.

Another thing to consider is what kind of wheelchair she has. The deference between pushing a basic hospital grade chair and a proper custom ultralight is night and day. If you don't have experience pushing a wheelchair, yes it is going to be some effort. Good gloves like weight lifting, or bicycling gloves will help. I'd also be curious how much practice she has pushing herself. At 13, if she has a good chair I'd expect her to push herself at least around the resort, and maybe sometimes in the parks if there are times it's not too crowded.
She has the basic hospital grade wheelchair. She can push herself around and would rather do that, but in crowds she gets nervous that she would be too slow and someone would make a comment about her. She’s been bullied in school because of her being in and out of a wheelchair, kids are so cruel. She’s gained a little more self confidence since we pulled her out of school and started homeschooling her, but she’s not where she needs to be just yet.

My father weighs just over 200 pounds, and he spends the majority of his time at Disney parks in a manual wheelchair (he can stand up to transfer to rides or to sit down at a table to eat). My adult brother is usually the one pushing him around, but my mother (who is a relatively fit 60 year old) and I also will occasionally push him if my brother is off with my husband and sons. The only places my mom and I would struggle would be the inclines to ride the monorail (which we rarely do) or the incline around Spaceship Earth, as you move deeper into Future World. Even that is manageable, as long as we take our time.

Would it be considered a good investment to buy her a small, lightweight scooter for her own personal use and bring that with you?
That's not a bad idea! Good sells their ECVs after about six months of use but still in great shape. If you buy one from them, she can obviously use owned equipment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter