Honda certified used car?

LeslieG

DIS Veteran
Do you think it's worth it to pay extra for a Honda certified used car? I'm looking at a Honda Pilot with 35,000 miles on it. The salesman said he could probably give a better deal if we didn't take the extra warranty, and he said one time it was like $695, then another time he said $800. Normally I don't usually go for extra warranties, but just wanted some opinions.

my daughter got the extended one on her honda. It was something they needed since they have two small children and could finance it with the car. They can not afford a large auto bill.

The cost of the extended warrenty is up to the salesman. They get paid a comission on the warrenty's they sell. So if they want to make the deal, push for the warrenty at a reasonable price.

We have owned multiple Honda's. We currently have an '07 Pilot. My DS has a '01 Civic that runs great. He had an '04 until someone pulled out in front of him and he hit her and it was totaled (entirely other driver's fault). He has a '97 Del Sol (runs great but he's selling it). My oldest DS owns a '06 CR-V. We've owned two previous Civics ('81 and '83) and a couple of Accords "92 and '01. We never, ever had a mechanical problem with any of them. We bought them for our boys because of their reliability and safety. The '04 Civic that was totaled was a Certified Used Car and we didn't get a warranty with it. Honda's are know to easily go 150,000-200,000 miles. We've gotten better deals on warranties through our Credit Union when we've financed through them. They are probably not really necessary for a Honda, at least from our experience with them.

Do you think it's worth it to pay extra for a Honda certified used car? I'm looking at a Honda Pilot with 35,000 miles on it. The salesman said he could probably give a better deal if we didn't take the extra warranty, and he said one time it was like $695, then another time he said $800. Normally I don't usually go for extra warranties, but just wanted some opinions.

There is an extra cost for certifying a used Honda, BUT it is not certified at the time of purchase. A certified Honda has to go through and meet a rigorous inspection (including cosmetic). Once it meets the inspection, it is then certified by the dealer through Honda of America and placed on sale as a "Certified Used Honda". If they are offering to lower the price if it is not certified then they are cheating and it has not gone through the inspection and certification. Aertified Used Honda COMES with a 100,000 mile warranty. It is not an add-on. Google Honda certified used cars" and look at the official Honda site. Ask to see the certification report on the vehicle and then just negotiate your best price. They are not allowed to "tack on" the certification cost. If they are, I'd call Honda Customer Care and report them.

There is an extra cost for certifying a used Honda, BUT it is not certified at the time of purchase. A certified Honda has to go through and meet a rigorous inspection (including cosmetic). Once it meets the inspection, it is then certified by the dealer through Honda of America and placed on sale as a "Certified Used Honda". If they are offering to lower the price if it is not certified then they are cheating and it has not gone through the inspection and certification. Aertified Used Honda COMES with a 100,000 mile warranty. It is not an add-on. Google Honda certified used cars" and look at the official Honda site. Ask to see the certification report on the vehicle and then just negotiate your best price. They are not allowed to "tack on" the certification cost. If they are, I'd call Honda Customer Care and report them.

Hmm, yea, he did say if we didn't want the 100,000 mile warranty, he could probably get us a better price. One time he mentioned it added $695 to the price, and one time he said it added $800 to the price. Sounds fishy.

Hmm, yea, he did say if we didn't want the 100,000 mile warranty, he could probably get us a better price. One time he mentioned it added $695 to the price, and one time he said it added $800 to the price. Sounds fishy.

That is about what it costs to certify through Honda, but it has to be certified before they can market it as a certified Honda. They cannot certify a car after or during the purchase process either. I worked at an Acura dealer for 6 years and the process is the same for Honda certified as it is for Acura Certified.

I bought a used Honda CRV, 2001 model, and did purchase the extra warranty. It covered all the major systems for 5 years or 100,000 miles whichever came first. Well, I have used it twice. Once because of a wheel bearing or something like 900. The second time it was the air conditioner. They replaced the compressor and other parts but it keeps leaking freon and I keep taking it back. I hope that it is right this time. The air conditioner repair would have been 2000 or more. So I have definitely gotten my money back this time.

But, it has not had any engine problems at all. I keep the oil changed and recently had the 100,000 mile service done ($$$$). The guy told me that I was good to go for another 100,000. I hope he was right.

I think there is some confusion here. A certified used car is checked for a lot of different things before it can be sold as such but that doesn't give it an additional warranty, just that it's been certified. A warranty is an add on to a dealer's warranty for a longer period of time, several years past the dealer or manufacturer's warranty.

I think there is some confusion here. A certified used car is checked for a lot of different things before it can be sold as such but that doesn't give it an additional warranty, just that it's been certified. A warranty is an add on to a dealer's warranty for a longer period of time, several years past the dealer or manufacturer's warranty.

Yes there is some confusion. A Honda Certified Pre-owned vehicle gets: (from Honda Website)

Every Honda Certified Used Car goes through our certification process to make sure it lives up to Honda's high standards. And only well-maintained Honda vehicles are eligible for certification, a process that includes:

* An exhaustive 150-point mechanical and appearance inspection, performed by the dealer technician, in which all major vehicles systems are scrutinized, including breaks, engine, drivetrain, steering, suspension, tires, wheels, exhaust system and vehicle interior and exterior.
* A process where Honda-trained technicians recondition any component that does not meet our standards, or replace it with Genuine Honda parts. All scheduled maintenance services are brought up-to-date.
* A free CARFAX Vehicle History report to assure that your Honda Certified Used Car does not contain any DMV-reported incidents such as salvage, fire, flood damage, odometer problems or lemon history.

The Warranty is then extended, from THE MANUFACTURER (HONDA), not a third-party warranty company. BTW-- even "Honda" extended warranties (other than certified) are third-party warranties.

From Honda:

Every Honda Certified Used Car comes with peace of mind: one of the most extensive used-car warranties in the business. So you can drive off the lot feeling confident about your purchase. These warranties cover:

* Major engine and transmission components, except for standard maintenance items, body glass and interior.
* The repair or replacement of any covered part that is defective in material or workmanship under normal use. With a $0 deductable.
* Powertrain coverage for 7-years/100,000-miles (whichever comes first) from the vehicle's original in-service date.
* Non-Powertrain coverage for 12-month/12,000-miles (whichever comes first) from the original warranty expiration date, or if the original warranty has expired, from the Honda Certified Used Cars purchase date.

The certified Warranty EXtends the manufacturers warranty. Lots of dealers sell "certified cars with warranty, but it is from the dealer and a third party, not the manufacturer. Similar programs exist for other manufacturers for Toyota, Nissan, Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, etc. Make sure it is a Manufacturer Certified and not Dealer Certified.

So, I was recently car shopping for my son. I went to CarMax and several dealers that have Certified Pre-Owns with warranties. They all wanted the same or MORE than buying him a 2019 Hyundai Elantra. Elantra had more rebates than an accent. We have owned several Hyundais and I have a 2019 Sonata (my third Sonata, turned in my lease on Black Friday for the 2019) and DH has a Tuscon. After shopping around buying a New Hyundai was just the better deal. Of course we added on the extended warranty and GAP insurance. M y son decided he wanted the 2019 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition over vehicles. His girlfriend also has the same 2019 Elantra Value Edition, just in gray, he choose black. And since we just bought a car three months earlier from the same dealer, we were able to get a decent deal.

I would look at Hyundai or even Kia and compare to what you are seeing for certified pre-owns.

I have a co-worker expecting her second child so she is going to trade her Mustang for a Hyundai or Kia. She wanted a Hyundai Sonata but it's out of her budget. The last she mentioned, she was looking to see if she could afford a Kia Soul. Single mom and a tight budget.

Last edited:
They all wanted the same or MORE than buying him a 2019

I hope everyone realized this thread has been dormant for over 10 years.

Having said that..................

This price inversion does happen from time to time. Used cars of any kind have a huge mark up. Dealers make more on used cars than new.
I saw that you turned in a lease. I hope you are off that roller coaster and can keep you present car for many years. Take car of your car, and it will take care of you.

Yep, really old thread. But I will say that if unless it's a really odd circumstance, if you pay more for a CPO car than you would for a new one you got ripped off. CPO is a nice benefit, but it should not cost more than a new one.

I agree with the post above regarding leasing. If you've got the disposable income and don't mind spending it, then great. But leasing is a cash cow for the dealer, definitely not a consumer friendly deal. Ditto extended warranties. They're rip offs.

Yep, really old thread. But I will say that if unless it's a really odd circumstance, if you pay more for a CPO car than you would for a new one you got ripped off. CPO is a nice benefit, but it should not cost more than a new one.

I agree with the post above regarding leasing. If you've got the disposable income and don't mind spending it, then great. But leasing is a cash cow for the dealer, definitely not a consumer friendly deal. Ditto extended warranties. They're rip offs.
Yes........we are, after all, talking about this on the Budget Board!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter