Home design poll - Cabinet/Counter color pref

Which cabinet/counter combo do you prefer?

• Light cabinets with light counters

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • Dark cabinets with dark counters

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Light cabinets with dark counters

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • Dark cabinets with light counters

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • Other, cause it's the Dis

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

pryncess527

DIS Veteran
im remodeling a house that may be on the market soon, so trying to get a general sense of broad opinion of what the best choice for cabinets/counters is

I'm also interested to know if people prefer to have the kitchen & bathroom be the same cabinet/counter material.

I chose a natural hickory for my cabinets and a dark stone countertop. They look nice but between the dark countertops, the dark wood floors and the white dog I feel like I am always cleaning to a avoid the dusty look.

im remodeling a house that may be on the market soon, so trying to get a general sense of broad opinion of what the best choice for cabinets/counters is

I'm also interested to know if people prefer to have the kitchen & bathroom be the same cabinet/counter material.

I don't like the kitchens and baths to have the same cabinets/counters, but I like all the bathrooms to match. I have light cabinets/dark counters in the kitchen and light and light in the bathrooms. My 3 bathrooms they could do out of 1 slab for all 4 tops, (I have 2 separate sinks/vanities in the master, not double sinks) so they definitely match.

Could we get photos of the space? as someone who's helped flip houses (and plays A hecka-ton of The Sims 3) it'll help in making suggestions.

if you want to the cabinets and counter-space to blend in, and make the space feel bigger; light colours work best. since they recede from the eye. and besides neutral colour schemes sell better on the housing market.

We remodeled out kitchen 3 years ago. We have natural colored wood cabinets with oyster shell colored Corian countertops.
My wife initially wanted dark countertops, but the 3 designers we got bids from discouraged dark countertops because they said they show imperfections and dirt more than light colored ones.

But, we were remodeling to transform this from our "raise our family" home (we've lived here 34 years) to our "retirement we've going to die here" home, so what WE wanted is all that mattered.

I voted other. Medium cabinets and medium counters. That's what I have.

I voted other. Medium cabinets and medium counters. That's what I have.
LOL. If you watch any of the shows on HGTV the "in" color for everything is a "warm gray"

I wanted to pick two choices but I couldn't. I just "redid" my kitchen on a shoestring. We painted our natural oak cabinets to white and I put in granite countertops with a light granite. I have SO much countertop that black would have been overwhelming, but I also like a black countertop on a light cabinet (or a dark one).

My other choice would have been dark espresso cabinets with light countertops (white base countertops). But I am told that espresso is "on its way out." But I still like it. I redid my bathroom cabinet in an espresso finish and I LOVE it.

I have found lots of help on the City Data Forums in their Home Decorating forum.

I must like dark counter tops with light cabinets. It's what I have here where I live, and had a similar design at the place recently sold. The kitchen counter top is black speckled granite with light beige cabinets. The three bathrooms are different color from the kitchen, with medium brown marble appearing granite counter tops and light beige cabinets.

Here's the cabinets/countertop I just did. The first shot is a bit of the cabinet I painted:

8hJRP5y.jpg

The next is a new Ikea cabinet I put in where I had one of the 1990s "cabinet desks."

zy6r6DZ.jpg

We have white cabinets with very light gray concrete countertops but to add some contrast, the center island is dark gray with the same concrete counter color. The previous owners redid the kitchen and thankfully it was everything I would have chosen ;) It's bright and airy.

Our previous house (also redone by former owners) had very dark wood cabinets with light granite and it was beautiful, too.

I went from everything dark and brown to everything white/gray in my kitchen. (hoping to post before/after soon) White cabinets, gray quartz countertops and weathered wood look porcelain tile. This house was a light sucking dungeon when we bought it all medium to dark wood including all of the shades. We bought it knowing going in that we'd change it all out. Dislike the bathroom cabinets matching the kitchen. Too cookie cutter for my taste. I probably wouldn't have minded the counters being the same but that's not the direction we went. The floor is the same because the kitchen flows right to a little hall and then the bathroom. It would have looked odd cutting it off and doing something else I think. Upstairs bathrooms will eventually get the same tile but the cabinets will be different in each more than likely.

LOL. If you watch any of the shows on HGTV the "in" color for everything is a "warm gray"
Yes I've noticed that, but I don't care for the gray. I would prefer what you described the natural colored cabinets.

I don't really have a preference for cabinet/counter color coordination, as I have seen kitchens that I really like in all of those combinations, it just depends on the specific counters/cabinets/rooms to me. I will sat that I absolutely hate it when the kitchen cabinets and counters match the bath, it is a total turn off to me.

I prefer darker to medium cabinets with medium to light countertops. I also vastly prefer quartz to granite, durability with no upkeep.

We redid the cabinets and counters when we bought our house. Dark espresso cabinets with medium tan/cream/brown granite counters. I really like the look - I voted other

I have a few friends who have dark or black granite counters and they tend to dislike as they always look dirty, streaked or dusty

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

I'm particularly glad to know that there doesn't seem to be a huge demand for matching kitchen & bathroom cabinets. House Hunters was making me nervous ;p I really want to focus on the bath right now and didn't want to feel like I was limiting my kitchen choices later, if we live here long enough for that.

Our kitchen has very dark cabinets and white (with a very subtle pattern) counters. I'd kind of like to remodel the kitchen, it hasn't been done since 1974. But we have other places we prefer to spend our money so I don't know when/if that will happen. I love wood cabinets, oak preferably and would like a light colored granite countertop.

We have 3 bathrooms and none of them match. I've never thought about them matching, either with the kitchen or with each other.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter