Hollywood Studios a bust today 10/21

quandrea

DIS Veteran
We spent the morning at HS. What a rip off! We planned to rope drop Rockin Roller coaster. No luck as it was down for several hours this morning. When it did reopen, standby waits were 120 min.

Managed to Fastpass Toy Story and Star Tours.

When Tower of Terror Fastpass window opened, the ride was only operating the Fastpass lane due to decreased capacity. We scanned through but the Fastpass line was long. It would have been at least a half hour wait so we bailed. Left the park at that point.

Very frustrating morning. Rope drop and a good touring plan were useless today. Dh has sworn off HS until Star Wars opens. If something goes down, the ability to get much done diminishes greatly. I guess we could have watched shows, but they aren't our thing.

Yup. I'm an annual pass holder with seventy plus trips under my belt. Today was bad. I love Disney and sing its praises often, but today was inexcusable. The concierge offered me three anytime fast passes but honestly, we don't want to face HS again, and with a long trip, we have the fast passes we need. I wouldn't have said no to Flight of Passage but that isn't on offer. Truthfully, a cash reimbursement for today's admission would be the only thing that would make me feel better. I know that won't happen. Time to let it go and get on with the day.

I have the Ultimate Day of Thrills tour booked with a first timer friend on Tuesday. I wonder what happens if HS sees the same kind of down time on that day? The tour includes front of line access to the big four at HS.

Was just looking at Epcot wait times and it shows that FEA, Test Track and Seas with Nemo and Friends are all three down. WTH? We'll be at Disney in 10 days and hoping we don't run into this type of nonsense. Spending WAY too much money for a bunch of rides to be down (in addition to those like Splash Mountain that are closed for refurb).

Was just looking at Epcot wait times and it shows that FEA, Test Track and Seas with Nemo and Friends are all three down. WTH? We'll be at Disney in 10 days and hoping we don't run into this type of nonsense. Spending WAY too much money for a bunch of rides to be down (in addition to those like Splash Mountain that are closed for refurb).
That's how my husband feels. Test Track was down when we tried to rope drop it Wednesday. He is not the unapologetic fan that I am. His words this afternoon: "This place is going downhill." Doesn't make me feel very good about my AP purchase times five last Monday. My friend arrives Monday for a first trip. I hope we have better luck with her. I've built up the place to her. I want WDW to shine!

If you're a seasoned vet you shouldn't let it get to you this much.
Things happen. You have to roll with the punches sometimes.
I don't think they should just have to roll with the punches.
We experienced the same thing in September - rides were down far too often, and we were evacuated from two rides during our trip. Almost three, but my husband lucked out and was just about to get onto Space Mountain when it went down. That means either we have very bad luck, or things are going down far too often. We pay the same amount of money for our tickets as the people who maybe don't visit as often. We should all be equally upset about maintenance issues. Rock N Roller Coaster was down at rope drop for us, too. I am all about safety and clearly don't want it open if something is wrong. But if things are going wrong this often they need to figure out why and refurb the ride to fix it properly.

I don't think they should just have to roll with the punches.
We experienced the same thing in September - rides were down far too often, and we were evacuated from two rides during our trip. Almost three, but my husband lucked out and was just about to get onto Space Mountain when it went down. That means either we have very bad luck, or things are going down far too often. We pay the same amount of money for our tickets as the people who maybe don't visit as often. We should all be equally upset about maintenance issues. Rock N Roller Coaster was down at rope drop for us, too. I am all about safety and clearly don't want it open if something is wrong. But if things are going wrong this often they need to figure out why and refurb the ride to fix it properly.

I've had my fair share of attractions that were down for "too long" but you have to deal with it or stop going if you're not getting your money's worth.
Consider how much these attractions are run. Everyday, day in and day out, for 12-15 hours a day.... Things are gonna break down and sometimes its going to be something that can't be fixed in a jiffy.
People cry about refurbs so its like Disney is darned if they do and darned if they don't.
Blaming Disney is always the thing to do right?

I feel your pain. But, as my folks would say, "Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose". Sometimes we get Pixie Dust and sometimes Hook makes an appearance. Disney is open 365 days a year. Breakdowns and maintenance issues are going to happen. They are challenging to Disney and Visitors alike. Better luck next time. Hopefully your Do-over goes better and some magic falls your way. Hollywood Studios is challenging on the best of days.

We had 4 pm fastpasses for Toy Story. Walked up and the FP line was all the way down the sidewalk about 150 ft. We turned and left.

Probably because they give fp’s away like candy. Anytime they have a problem that seems to be the solution.
Never was thought of as a solution, because sometimes there just isn't anyway to control things happening. If you're alive I'll bet that you have, despite the best of planning and intentions had things blow up in your face. It isn't a solution, it is a band-aid. Just there to help make the ouchy feel all better.

Never was thought of as a solution, because sometimes there just isn't anyway to control things happening. If you're alive I'll bet that you have, despite the best of planning and intentions had things blow up in your face. It isn't a solution, it is a band-aid. Just there to help make the ouchy feel all better.
I meant it sarcastically.

We had 4 pm fastpasses for Toy Story. Walked up and the FP line was all the way down the sidewalk about 150 ft. We turned and left.
But that line moved so quickly - my daughter said are you sure this is the right line! We were in really fast and it was DGS favourite ride!

That's how my husband feels. Test Track was down when we tried to rope drop it Wednesday. He is not the unapologetic fan that I am. His words this afternoon: "This place is going downhill." Doesn't make me feel very good about my AP purchase times five last Monday. My friend arrives Monday for a first trip. I hope we have better luck with her. I've built up the place to her. I want WDW to shine!

Test Track has been notoriously difficult since it opened though, this isn't a recent development.

That DHS day sounds awful... hopefully it was a one-off

We had a good visit today - though prepared to change plans for DGS needs. Straight to TSM - he loved it! Saw stand by for Disney Junior was empty so we went straight in there for DGD(3), FP FEA, he loved seeing the storm troopers (twice), enjoyed lunch then we headed back to resort for pool time & park - everyone experiences things differently - my only negative was a Photopass photographer who didn't understand why DGS didn't want his picture taking and said "he acts like he doesn't know you :(

DHS has very few attractions and only a handful that are repeatable. The repeatable ones are TSMM, ST, ToT, and RnRC. The rest are space fillers. SWL and TSL will add a lot, but I am afraid it will only be half of what the park needs.

OP - sorry you had a bad day, sounds very frustrating. We are seriously thinking of buying AP's in the next few weeks, and reports like this make me wonder. We usually drive in for day trips and if things are really breaking down with this frequency it doesn't seem like that much fun. Seems like Disney is focusing on other things, like adding in lots of things/parties that you have to pay extra for and not focusing on ride upkeep. Hopefully I'm wrong and it was just a fluke.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter