Hollywood Brown Derby versus Mama Melrose's

brad813

DIS Veteran
I am considering getting the Fantasmic Dining Package for one of my meals on my Hollywood Studios day. I am debating between the Hollywood Brown Derby and Mama Melrose's. Assuming I can get a package ADR at either one, which has the better food between the two? I am not entirely sure I can get enough value out of the package, but am exploring it as an option. I will also be doing the Star Wars Dessert Party that night most likely, since there is sufficient time between the two shows on the night I am going.

Personally, our Mama Melrose dinner (with a F! dining package) 5 years ago was our least favorite Disney meal. I am averse to buffets, so that just left Brown Derby. I was initially going to try it, but looking at the menu, I don't think my teens would like it. So I think we're skipping the dining plan this time. We'll hit Sci Fi for our meal (it's fun, and the food is decent)

Personally, our Mama Melrose dinner (with a F! dining package) 5 years ago was our least favorite Disney meal. I am averse to buffets, so that just left Brown Derby. I was initially going to try it, but looking at the menu, I don't think my teens would like it. So I think we're skipping the dining plan this time. We'll hit Sci Fi for our meal (it's fun, and the food is decent)

I actually just read an old post of yours on this same issue. Wasn't aware Mama Melrose was a buffet. The menu seemed more like table service. After I leave the park, I am headed straight out of Orlando, so I will probably only get one good meal that day, and maybe something quick after I leave Hollywood Studios. The menu at both seem fantastic, but even a menu that sounds good needs strong execution to work.

I actually just read an old post of yours on this same issue. Wasn't aware Mama Melrose was a buffet. The menu seemed more like table service. After I leave the park, I am headed straight out of Orlando, so I will probably only get one good meal that day, and maybe something quick after I leave Hollywood Studios. The menu at both seem fantastic, but even a menu that sounds good needs strong execution to work.

It's not a buffet. Hollywood & Vine is, which you can also get as a F! package. I do currently have a reservation fro H&V, but will probably cancel it. MM, at least when we went, had a pre-fixe menu for the package. That could perhaps be why we didn't like it since it was pretty limited in options.

We liked Mama Melrose and would eat there again. Haven't tried Brown Derby - its a signature so two credits on the dining plan and from the reviews I've read it is generally regarded as one of the lower end signatures.

It's not a buffet. Hollywood & Vine is, which you can also get as a F! package. I do currently have a reservation fro H&V, but will probably cancel it. MM, at least when we went, had a pre-fixe menu for the package. That could perhaps be why we didn't like it since it was pretty limited in options.

Kind of the point of prix fixe, but I could see where that could be an issue. Right now there is a choice of appetizer, entree, and dessert, but the appetizer is going away in January. I have a similar package booked for Tusker House(which I was already planning to dine at), so I kinda get there is a small upcharge for the voucher, so it is a matter of getting value out of it I think.

We liked Mama Melrose and would eat there again. Haven't tried Brown Derby - its a signature so two credits on the dining plan and from the reviews I've read it is generally regarded as one of the lower end signatures.

I won't have a dining plan so paying out of pocket, hence the agonizing over the decision.

Kind of the point of prix fixe, but I could see where that could be an issue. Right now there is a choice of appetizer, entree, and dessert, but the appetizer is going away in January. I have a similar package booked for Tusker House(which I was already planning to dine at), so I kinda get there is a small upcharge for the voucher, so it is a matter of getting value out of it I think.

Yes, normally I like pre fixe menus but the items on theirs weren't very good.

Yes, normally I like pre fixe menus but the items on theirs weren't very good.

Yeah, I just hate coming up with menus myself. Restaurant business is hard. Headed down for Food & Wine Festival to see if I can get some inspiration. Still, I will take the time to enjoy all four parks.

We have dined at both and had OK meals at both. Nothing fantastic and nothing horrible. When doing the package, we usually go with MM because we have found that we prefer the HBD lounge food over the main dining room, so I no longer feel like it is worth it to pay more for HBD, even for Fantasmic access, when we know that the HBD food in the main restaurant isn't going to be as good as what we could have gotten in the lounge (if that makes any sense).

Did The Brown Derby for dinner a few weeks ago. I had the Cobb Salad entree' and my partner opted for the vegetable "soup" with noodles. We split the spring roll appetizer and the pressed coffee.

The springs rolls with the reduction sauce was absolutely delicious, but small in portion size. The Cobb salad was excellent and just the right portion size. The coffee was too strong for my taste. Interestingly, the rolls were far beyond what I was expecting and we finished those off.

AP discount made the cost, palatable.

I've never dined at MM, so I can't offer much help there.

HBD has the better food, but if you want to save money, Mama Melrose is fine. It's not great and we've never been seated on time, but, it's fine if you're really just trying to secure the F! package.

HBD has the better food, but if you want to save money, Mama Melrose is fine. It's not great and we've never been seated on time, but, it's fine if you're really just trying to secure the F! package.

Will literally have 15 minutes to get from the Star Wars seating to the Fantasmic! seating. Smarter to go ahead and have a voucher or fastpass if I can. If all else fails, there is the Dessert thing, but that's a lot of sweets in two hours, with attending the Star Wars Dessert Party.

Please note there isn't any discount available if you do the package. I tried that with HBD. I really enjoyed my meal in February 2016, but it continues to be the only signature I have ever eaten at. It won't be a quick meal by any means, but a nice respite out of the theme park atmosphere.

I have not been to MM since 2013, I believe. Not that there was anything wrong with it, but we had been 3 times in a row on different trips and wanted to try new things. I think with the lack of appetizer, it would be less of a deal than it was then.

We ate at both last week. enjoyed both meals equally, but for different reasons. Mama Melrose for lunch and was very pleased. Good food, and not just your normal generic Italian food.
Brown Derby for supper. Again the food was very good. Probably noisier than Mama Melrose.
I would look at the menus to decide where you want to eat, they both are good.

Please note there isn't any discount available if you do the package. I tried that with HBD. I really enjoyed my meal in February 2016, but it continues to be the only signature I have ever eaten at. It won't be a quick meal by any means, but a nice respite out of the theme park atmosphere.

I have not been to MM since 2013, I believe. Not that there was anything wrong with it, but we had been 3 times in a row on different trips and wanted to try new things. I think with the lack of appetizer, it would be less of a deal than it was then.

The appetizers are still included, but won't be after January 1st. I go down on November 1st. I am not a pass holder, so wouldn't get any discounts anyway.

We have never had a good meal at Mama Melrose. As a family we've had 8 meals there but my last on my solo trip was particularly unpleasant --- enough so we (DH, DS and I) will never go back on future trips.

Our experience at HBD has been far better --- the food has been consistently positive and we are planning another meal there when we go back in Mar 2018. Would I pay the premium for a Fantasmic package? Probably not but we've enjoyed the food over the past 6 or 7 meals there.

Saying that.... with the difference in prices between the 2 fantasmic packages it may make sense to go to Mama's just based on the price. Mama's was mostly edible but we enjoyed the HBD more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter