Holiday trip as a Christmas surprise! Help me plan!

Dizney73

DIS Veteran
DH and I are surprising our kids (DD, 12 and DS 8) with a trip to Disney on Christmas morning! We will be leaving on a 5:45 am flight on December 27 for a 5 nights stay (check out January 1)using our DVC points at AK Villas Jambo House! We are not new to Disney World in any way... but my daughter (12 on trip) mentioned once when seeing a Disney commercial that she always wanted to be surprised with a Disney trip... so I started setting that into motion! I have been to Disney more than I can count and have NEVER been during this crazy time of year but seeing the NYE fireworks is a bucket item! I am a teacher and my husband is a firefighter who was able to get a few extra days off after Christmas so that's how our dates worked out. I really wanted to head down after he got out of work on the 26th but Jet blues airfares were $150 pp MORE than a flight just 12 hours later. The airfare cost was crazy high and I am just not going to think of that anymore!!

We go to WDW and do a 3 night cruise over Thanksgiving each year... and we are still doing that to NOT blow our cover. Crazy right! So we are actually at the World twice in two months!

Anyway... I am a planner through and through and I am hoping that all of you will be able to give me some December holiday insight so that I can plan the perfect NYE trip and wrap it all up as a Christmas gift for my kids in place of so many Santa gifts!

We will have Premium AP's and a Tables in Wonderland card. We want to fit in Candlelight Processional package one night. And my kids both love Hoop so that is another dinner option that would be a win win!

Do the Behind the Seeds and Caring for Giants tours run for that week between Christmas and NY? That could be an option for afternoon fun but I thought I heard that the tours don't run. Of course, I can't find proof of that anywhere!!

I want to see the MK fireworks on the 30th... should we be in the park? should we do Ohana or Kona and watch from Polynesian Village? Watch from Grand Floridian? I know we can't do Top of the World Lounge since it's a block out date. But what is the best vantage point for these special fireworks? Does the Pirate's and Pals fireworks cruise sail for these or only the "everyday" fireworks?

Maybe this is crazy but I want to be in the crowd on NYE to see the Epcot fireworks! I am prepared for crazy lines and tipsy tourists... but I need help planning my day to make it the BEST version of crazy possible!!! What is the latest we can arrive at Epcot on NYE? Where should we eat lunch? dinner? see the fireworks from? What cool extras are there on this holiday?

I also need to come up with some gift ideas to announce the trip to my kids on Christmas morning!

Thanks so much for helping me create the perfect plan!

what an incredible trip! and wow, 2 in 2 months. yay for you!

I'm also planning a surprise (though I think my 13 year old DS is on to me). We have 2 families traveling. We are going to either come up with a puzzle they have to compete to put together (2 identical ones so all 5 of them can be involved) or doing a jib jab video. There's no Disney themed ones, but the song Happy by somebody (Pharrell?) is there and it's certainly a happy thing to go to Disney :)

Well, latest to arrive at Epcot on NYE?? I'd be there at park opening and not leave....otherwise there is a chance you may not get in.

Well, latest to arrive at Epcot on NYE?? I'd be there at park opening and not leave....otherwise there is a chance you may not get in.

That's what I thought to... But others have said that epcot gets very crowded but it hasn't closed to capacity in years. That's why I was asking. I am hoping to get there around 10 am or 11.

Good luck with the surprise. I want to do this with my own kids soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter