HO-HO-HOLY GRINCHMAS...10 JOLLY HOLIDAY NIGHTS AT RPR..NOV/DEC 2018

Can't wait to hear how you like it!

Bit late watching it tonight as some friends popped around for a drink......so, had to wait till they left.....ironically, he would have loved the movie......her not so much, but we always joke she has no soul :rotfl:.......never cries at sad movies!!! Who doesn’t cry at sad movies!

Loved it!!!

It was so good.......very traditional Dickens feeling about the whole movie.....we’d definitely watch it again.

I still think Alasdair Sim 1951 film is my favourite version, but that’s the version I’ve watched since I was a child.......so, obvious bias there......but I’m so glad you told me about it as I’d never have watched it other wise.....so thank you!

George C Scott version will be either Tuesday night or after we get back..........I love that story! :wave:

Whittakers! https://www.whittakers.co.nz/en_WW/products/ We can get a selection of their stuff here in Aus, but not the full range - and often they will do limited edition bars based on the flavours of other iconic NZ lollies & icecreams. We Kiwis grew up eating Jellytip iceblocks, for example (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/43/08/f7/4308f77d6dd831e36ebe80c1f240fab3.png) - so for a while, they did a Jellytip chocolate. It's like precious gold and I have a secret bar hidden away in my freezer for an emergency. :rotfl2:

It's probably actually very lucky I don't live in NZ anymore and can't get this stuff as easily as I used to. Lol!

Oh wow.........that does look like good chocolate.........I’ve never heard of that brand. Love the ice lollies too! Nice having and emergency stash too......lol.......yes it may be a good thing you don’t have easy access to it.....lol

It’s one thing I don’t like.......American chocolate....I usually love all things American........but not chocolate or tea......British and Swiss chocolate is our winner there.........

Don’t blame you for stocking up........:thumbsup2

Yay - another trip report! Although I still need to read the end of the last one :oops:

I've just seen this appear in your footer "SEP-OCT 2019..A MONTH @ RPR/HHN" - looks like we'll be there at the same time (although we're staying at PBH).

WELCOME iona........glad to see you here again too........

Lol.......last one was a little long!!! Can’t fault you for not being finished yet lol ......I can babble with the best of them!!

Oh how lovely..........hopefully we’ll run into each other next year.........we do pop to PBH for Sal’s pizza.......one of the requests Kyle has for this trip........love their pizza!

We’re there from Sept 3rd till Oct 2nd.........hope we get to say hello.........

Glad you’re catching up with this one too, hope you enjoy reading along.........:wave:

Oh I couldn’t imagine being there actually over Christmas......far too busy for us! We have friends who stay 3 weeks over Christmas and New Year and love it.......but don’t do the parks much......not for me.....I’ve seen her pictures!!!

We've done Disney over Christmas but not Universal (it was a bonus trip when we had some spare DVC points and spotted some cheap flights - we couldn't justify the cost of the Universal add on when it was supposed to be a "no Orlando" year). We flew out on 12 December and back on Boxing Day which I think was a good way to do it - it wasn't too busy for the first week or so and yet we still got to visit the parks and go for a swim on Christmas Day. It was weird not being home for Christmas, so we've not done it since, but I'd like another December trip someday so we can see the Universal Christmas stuff. In the meantime I'll have to live vicariously through you.

It’s one thing I don’t like.......American chocolate....I usually love all things American........but not chocolate or tea......British and Swiss chocolate is our winner there.........

I hear you! We have been known to bring our own tea bags...

Lol.......last one was a little long!!! Can’t fault you for not being finished yet lol ......I can babble with the best of them!!

We have no plans for today (we were supposed to be taking my parents out for lunch but my mum's poorly) so I hope to make good progress.

Oh how lovely..........hopefully we’ll run into each other next year.........we do pop to PBH for Sal’s pizza.......one of the requests Kyle has for this trip........love their pizza!

Sal's pizza is always a must do for us too. I'm not sure why it's quite SO good but it is.

We’re there from Sept 3rd till Oct 2nd.........hope we get to say hello.........

Sounds like it'll be the briefest of overlaps. We don't check in until the 1st. You really did mean a month though - wow - that will be amazing! We tend to do 14-18 nights and by the end of that my husband's about ready to come home but I never am!

We've done Disney over Christmas but not Universal (it was a bonus trip when we had some spare DVC points and spotted some cheap flights - we couldn't justify the cost of the Universal add on when it was supposed to be a "no Orlando" year). We flew out on 12 December and back on Boxing Day which I think was a good way to do it - it wasn't too busy for the first week or so and yet we still got to visit the parks and go for a swim on Christmas Day. It was weird not being home for Christmas, so we've not done it since, but I'd like another December trip someday so we can see the Universal Christmas stuff. In the meantime I'll have to live vicariously through you.

I hear you! We have been known to bring our own tea bags...

We have no plans for today (we were supposed to be taking my parents out for lunch but my mum's poorly) so I hope to make good progress.

Sal's pizza is always a must do for us too. I'm not sure why it's quite SO good but it is.

Sounds like it'll be the briefest of overlaps. We don't check in until the 1st. You really did mean a month though - wow - that will be amazing! We tend to do 14-18 nights and by the end of that my husband's about ready to come home but I never am!

Being there at Christmas does sound lovely, but don't fancy the crowds!!! Yes, you`ll have to plan for another trip sometime.....

Hope your mum feels better soon......parents are such a worry at times aren't they...…:)

Oh we take tea bags to New York when I`m with mum....she doesn't drink coffee at all, and it seems to be Liptons everywhere which tastes like pond water....and its not the water as the NY water is decent....but nothing quite like British tea bags!!

We`re never ready to come home, I know what you mean......we are looking forward to a month and being really able to relax.....I think!!!

Hope you enjoy the rest of the report...….:wave:

So, we are now at 3 sleeps till we leave for our overnight at the airport.

As we often say, we never really plan for much when we are there...…..however, we have The Palm booked again. This is one restaurant we love and it can get incredibly busy especially on weekends and we have booked it for Saturday Dec 1st...…….

Kyle loves this place as much as we do...…..and this was his first request to go back to again this trip.....and I`m guessing this is the dessert that Kyle will opt for again as he loved it...….

i-gkJFBJQ-XL.jpg

The Palm is a beautiful restaurant...…...it is our favourite onsite restaurant of them all I think, well, of the upscale restaurants anyway...…...service is always exceptional and food has never disappointed...….the shrimp cocktail is one of my favourite appetisers……...

i-KwkNnkk-XL.jpg

This place really is the highlight of the HRH...…..steaks are always perfect and absolutely everything we have eaten there is beautiful. So, this was an obvious choice to go back to.

Other choices this trip will be Jake`s American Bar in RPR, Sal`s for pizza at PBH and definitely Strong Water Bar in Sapphire Falls...…..

I said Kyle wouldn't finish this cheese pizza from Sal`s...……..

i-DHxjKHn-XL.jpg

He did. Apart from the crust of course.

And we do have one Dis Meet planned...…..I believe we will be meeting in Amatista again for dinner...…..and it is with the lovely keishashadow and her mister……….we met up here for lunch in September after missing each other a few trips...….and it was a lovely afternoon...….so when we knew we were both there at the same time, we knew we had to get a meet organised again...…..

This was us after lunch...……..

i-QQSwTMt-XL.jpg

Looking forward to this one.....

As this is a park focused trip we will probably eat more in the parks for lunch, Louie`s is always a good choice for cheap and cheerful pizza, and then Ben and Jerry`s as that's Kyle`s favourite ice cream.....

i-Z3qGq8G-XL.jpg

Lombard`s may be an option too for lunch one day......this has always been a hit or a miss for some visits, but many have mentioned how good it has been this last year...…..but as with most of our trips, we`ll wing it as usual.

i-3rC8VVD-XL.jpg

i-B8DHCTh-XL.jpg

This really is a beautiful restaurant inside......the first time we visited in 2007 we were so surprised to walk into somewhere as beautiful and elegant...….so many had said we`d be disappointed in Universal in general as the food was all theme park rubbish...….how wrong they were!!!! We thoroughly enjoyed the choices available and it certainly doesn't feel like a theme park food place.
Margaritaville hopefully will be in there at some point, but nowhere else in Citywalk will make the cut this time for us...……

So many choices and not enough days!!!!

Offsite we will hopefully manage Red Lobster which again we love.....cheap and cheerful food too......we may be a little limited in offsite restaurants this year as we do want to enjoy the evening holiday offerings again......so time wise we may not do as many of those as we usually do.

More ideas coming up.....….

Of course the Holiday events will be a big part of this trip as was the same last year...……

One of the highlights was the Castle Night show which was beautiful...…...and much better than the regular one they run throughout the rest of the year...…..

We wandered upon it and although it was busy, we managed to see it clear and without waiting at all......this was perfect for us as we hate hanging around a lot.

It was very atmospheric as the lights were dimmed then it began...…..

i-sQwLfRk-XL.jpg

i-mHsxpQq-XL.jpg

It was well worth seeing.…….the music was good too and we did watch it again....everyone seemed to enjoy it that was around us...….

Hogsmeade is beautiful at night anyway, but with the addition of the understated decorations around the buildings, it was even prettier...…..

i-pbS6mHt-XL.jpg

i-GHbFQLG-XL.jpg

The Studios has Macy`s Parade...….and we loved this last year!!! It was so pretty and seeing Father Christmas and snow was beautiful...….again, more understated than other parades, but we enjoyed it.....

i-JK2zBTg-XL.jpg

i-6kSr5KC-XL.jpg

i-QRmmQgc-XL.jpg

i-32zBwNd-XL.jpg

And of course you can`t forget the Grinchmas offerings...……..

i-jmQWMrj-XL.jpg

We do plan to enjoy this a little more this year if we can...…..who doesn't love the Grinch...……

Our only other plans are to do something we can`t quite believe we haven't done before...….

We are all huge space buffs...….and for some reason this is something we`ve always passed on....

Kyle and I watch as many live launches as we can through NASA tv and he takes a massive interest in all things to do with all that they do...….it is fascinating.

So, we decided that although this is a shorter trip of only 10 nights, we`d take the time and make the journey to KSC one day.

Weeks before our trip we knew there was finally a launch planned for when we were there......we had missed many launches in previous years sometimes by a day, which was annoying...…..but, we now had to decided did we want to go and face the melee of Kennedy on a launch day, or go another day and watch the launch from the hotel as there is a window you can see a launch perfectly...…..

We have decided, after speaking to someone who has been many times on launch days, to pass and we`ll visit another day...…..we still have to decide which extras we want to add on to this day.

It seems you can easily fill at least 2 or 3 days here, and I`m sure Kyle would opt to do so if he could.....lol.....but we`ll do that this week and get booked online before we go. Maybe tomorrow...….I`m forgetting how close the trip is now...……

We do have some more thoughts on what we might do this trip...……

But, right now apart from having a lot of fun......very few things are planned...…...

Oh I am so glad you are going to KSC Schumigirl! Being from little old downunder, we have nothing like this at home and every time we go I just walk around with my mind being blown. I even get teary in certain spots. We haven't actually done the whole thing yet although we've been twice, because there's so much to see and some things you just cannot miss (the bus trip out to the launch pads etc, and the Space Shuttle Atlantis). I'll have to go look up the launch - we have already picked our date so although I'd LOVE to see one, I don't think we'd want to try for the visitor centre that day!

A couple of years ago there was a launch happening the day after we arrived after we'd flown straight through - I was so excited - but jet lag hit us hard and we slept through it. :rotfl:

ETA - I see it's Dec 4th - the day after we arrive again. I sure hope we aren't sleeping this time as it's meant to be a full park day on our schedule lol!

Last edited:
Weeks before our trip we knew there was finally a launch planned for when we were there......we had missed many launches in previous years sometimes by a day, which was annoying...…..but, we now had to decided did we want to go and face the melee of Kennedy on a launch day, or go another day and watch the launch from the hotel as there is a window you can see a launch perfectly...…..

Can I ask where that window is please, if it's not too big of a secret tip to share (or you could just tell me about the next-best window :rotfl2:)? It might be worth us coming back midday to check out!

Wow...KSC...how fun. That would be so much fun. I have always found all of that interesting. Have fun packing and getting ready. I find that is part of the fun of the trip. The laundry after at home....nope...but the packing and planning...fun fun fun.
THIS WEEK ON THE EAST COAST OF THE UK...…….

or so it seems...…………..

Yes...I hear you on that one. It is fairly mild here...but is damp...which we usually don't get. It is usually a dry skin numbing/cracking hurt your face kind of cold. It scares me that with the mild we have right now...we are going to have below - 40C for the Xmas season. Crossing my fingers it doesn't happen...but in northern Canada, that is wishful thinking.

If I don't check in before you leave, have a great holiday and soak all that fantastic Florida heat and humidity!!!!

Hi what a nice report before the trip :goodvibes I have never been there before at Christmas time. It is hard to take the teens out of school. I love your pics of Hogsmeade decorated and the light show. It looks so pretty, I can't wait till we move there and I can pop over a lot easier. Your restaurant choices sound nice. We went to Lombards once when they had the night time show dinner package. We were lucky and had a good meal that night. We haven't managed to get back there again but hopefully we will for lunch. The palm does sound great but would make that an adults only meal sometime.:D

I hope you enjoy your rental car as much this time.:thumbsup2

KSC I heard is great! We haven't had time to put it in our schedule, just another thing to add to the list of things to do when we move. I do have "lunch with an astronaut" tickets that I won many years ago so we will look to go there and use them before they expire. I hope you guys have a great time. It will be so nice doing something new with Kyle.:woohoo:

Happy packing:thumbsup2:cool1:

Oh I am so glad you are going to KSC Schumigirl! Being from little old downunder, we have nothing like this at home and every time we go I just walk around with my mind being blown. I even get teary in certain spots. We haven't actually done the whole thing yet although we've been twice, because there's so much to see and some things you just cannot miss (the bus trip out to the launch pads etc, and the Space Shuttle Atlantis). I'll have to go look up the launch - we have already picked our date so although I'd LOVE to see one, I don't think we'd want to try for the visitor centre that day!

A couple of years ago there was a launch happening the day after we arrived after we'd flown straight through - I was so excited - but jet lag hit us hard and we slept through it. :rotfl:

ETA - I see it's Dec 4th - the day after we arrive again. I sure hope we aren't sleeping this time as it's meant to be a full park day on our schedule lol!

Can I ask where that window is please, if it's not too big of a secret tip to share (or you could just tell me about the next-best window :rotfl2:)? It might be worth us coming back midday to check out!

Lol.....you can see it from just about anywhere around the hotel........and you get a great view from the Club Lounge too......any windows facing the right direction will work......you can see it from the parks too.......:thumbsup2

Yes, so looking forward to KSC.....I think we plan to go the day before the launch so we can see it before it goes......I think we’ll plan to do the bus tour and I believe one other thing......I forget what he said he wanted to do....and yes, it is quite emotional seeing it all I imagine.........I still love watching all sorts of launches and re landings.......very impressive.

Oh jet lag can really kick you in the butt!! If folks haven’t experienced it, they have no idea.........we’re ok on the way there, only 5 hour time difference.........but the way back can really knock us silly!!!

We had a blizzard here today. Whiteout conditions for a few hours. Think I should just go join you in Orlando! LOL

WELCOME Alice..........:Pinkbounc

Wondered when you’d be along!!!

Nice to see you here too..........

Blizzards??? Whiteout??? Oh my..........yep, come on down to Orlando.......come to the Darkside.......we have sunshine and heat :rotfl:

Glad you’ve joined in this one too, always happy to see you my friend..........:wave:

Wow...KSC...how fun. That would be so much fun. I have always found all of that interesting. Have fun packing and getting ready. I find that is part of the fun of the trip. The laundry after at home....nope...but the packing and planning...fun fun fun.

Yes...I hear you on that one. It is fairly mild here...but is damp...which we usually don't get. It is usually a dry skin numbing/cracking hurt your face kind of cold. It scares me that with the mild we have right now...we are going to have below - 40C for the Xmas season. Crossing my fingers it doesn't happen...but in northern Canada, that is wishful thinking.

If I don't check in before you leave, have a great holiday and soak all that fantastic Florida heat and humidity!!!!

Oh my goodness!!! I’d never survive that type of cold!! -40C is ruddy cold........lowest we had many years ago around 1995 was -28C.......I doubted I’d make it through that winter :D Yes, damp cold isn’t nice......we get a lot of that........I love cold crisp sunny days when I’m all wrapped it........but what you get!!!!

Yep, looking forward to KSC......think we’re going to book it tomorrow........Kyle finished work tonight for 15 days, so we have time tomorrow........in between packing of course.........doesn’t take us long at all.......

Although we’ll have the usual “do you really need all those clothes” conversation.........men!!! But, I do like packing, it adds to the excitement.........but laundry.......never fun!!!

Thank you for the good wishes........we’ll try our best to have a lot of fun..........:wave:

Hi what a nice report before the trip :goodvibes I have never been there before at Christmas time. It is hard to take the teens out of school. I love your pics of Hogsmeade decorated and the light show. It looks so pretty, I can't wait till we move there and I can pop over a lot easier. Your restaurant choices sound nice. We went to Lombards once when they had the night time show dinner package. We were lucky and had a good meal that night. We haven't managed to get back there again but hopefully we will for lunch. The palm does sound great but would make that an adults only meal sometime.:D

I hope you enjoy your rental car as much this time.:thumbsup2

KSC I heard is great! We haven't had time to put it in our schedule, just another thing to add to the list of things to do when we move. I do have "lunch with an astronaut" tickets that I won many years ago so we will look to go there and use them before they expire. I hope you guys have a great time. It will be so nice doing something new with Kyle.:woohoo:

Happy packing:thumbsup2:cool1:

WELCOME bobbie..........

Glad to have you along for the latest offering.........

We loved all the holiday offerings last year.......so we had to come back again.......after so many years of not going at that time........we are so looking forward to this trip again.......yep, kids and school it isn’t always an option.

The Palm is amazing......you do see kids in there too.......and plenty of teens, so yep, they’d enjoy it too I’m sure.....

I think it’s a Tahoe size we have booked so, we do like that one too........if we can upgrade I think we will though, will wait and see what they have when we arrive........

I think it’s time that stopped us going to KSC before too.........so yes, we wanted to make sure we fit it in this time......I’m sure we’ll love it.......

Thanks.......I’m sure we’ll have a fabulous trip and I hope you enjoy it...........:wave:

Hooray!!! A Trip report to look forward too. And you will enjoy KSC. I've been more than a few times. One of my favorite memories as a kid, is my parents taking me and my sister to go see a shuttle launch

Hooray!!! A Trip report to look forward too. And you will enjoy KSC. I've been more than a few times. One of my favorite memories as a kid, is my parents taking me and my sister to go see a shuttle launch

Yay..........

WELCOME.........kbelle8995........

Glad to have you along for this one too......nice to see you!

Yep, looking forward to KSC........how lovely you’ve enjoyed it many times.......you live in Florida I think??? Those must be amazing memories to have though.........

Hope you enjoy it once it starts...........:wave:

Wow, I just found this and 3 pages in. I’m so excited to read along on another report from you! It sounds like some great plans for you all. So glade Kyle is coming with you two, I know from reading how fun it is to have him travel with you!

I will be excited to hear all about the Christmas fun! Safe travels and have a wonderful trip!

Yay the 'chocolate cake adventures of Kyle & Company' are about to start!

Sounds like a lot of fun. Did you see the landing on Mars today?
One of our former Senators was an astronaut, we have National Labs all over in my home state....they do a little bit of everything there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter