Hitched on the Monorail...a mobile matrimonial

trisana21

Earning My Ears
We did it! My new husband and I got tired of the wedding planning, said "Let's just do it!" and eloped to the very most wonderfulest place on earth. We are still planning the big wedding, complete with a Disney honeymoon at the end of it, but we just wanted to get the job done and so embarked on the most beautiful, exciting, special weekend of our lives. We decided on this course of action, planned it for six weeks out, and started sneakily counting down on our Facebook pages. Hardly anyone knew and we surprised all our friends with our updated FB statuses right after the ceremony.

I wrote up the full story here. Lots of pictures can be found here.

I have talked to a ton of cast members (my husband calls me the Mayor Of Disney World because I talk to EVERYONE) and looked online everywhere, and while I have seen some crazy Disney weddings, both sanctioned and unsanctioned, I can't find any evidence of any other reported monorail weddings. Could we have been the first? LOL

We're doing an escape wedding but I love the idea of a Ninja Disney Wedding! Awesome!

We probably wouldn't have ended up doing it anywhere where you would pay to have it done, though we initially entertained the idea of the beach at the Poly. The monorail is a completely weird idea, so it wasn't as though we took the place of a "real" Disney bride. Every CM we talked to after thought it was the coolest thing they had heard at least that day. LOL

I would be very careful about what you say on here!!! There are many 'legitimate' Disney brides who have paid a lot of money to get married at WDW and will not take kindly to somebody who has clearly got away with breaking the rules, bragging about it on the boards!!
I bare you no ill will - just warning you that you are likely to stir up a hornets nest. Maybe, though, that's what you want to do!!

Wow, way to make ridiculous assumptions about my motivations. Perhaps I am simply wanting to share a happy occasion. I am far from "bragging". If you think I didn't wish I had the money to splash out on a spectacular wedding or even a wonderful intimate one with characters and the photographer, etc. I could say all of the large, obviously expensive weddings are a ridiculous waste of money and the brides are "bragging" that they have the wealth to carry if off, but not only is that mean spirited, I do not truly believe they are "bragging" either.

I would like to point out that one of the most popular threads on this entire site is one where the poster committed a CRIME, accessing Disney property illegally to take pictures of a closed off defunct park. Where is the nasty hate there?

The wedding I had was FAR from even the least expensive of the weddings Disney provides, so there is no comparison to a "legitimate" bride (and please do not cast aspersions on the "legitimacy" of my marriage, please). You are being nasty and mean spirited, much as you may not "bare" (sic) me ill will. I might have taken this a lot better if you clearly weren't the morals police assuming wrongly that I was bragging and "attempting to stir up a hornet's nest".

And for the record, I asked several CMs after the fact if what we had done was an issue, and they even said that we had done it somewhere where they don't ever hold weddings, didn't attempt to take "wedding photos" in the parks or environs, and were unobtrusive and respectful. Respectful. Which is a word I can't use to apply to someone who clearly lives to make other people feel bad.

To other "legitimate" Disney brides: I truly apologise to you if you feel I am bragging or somehow lessening your beautiful weddings with small secret one. I had recently lost a job, am facing the possible return of my cancer, and could not even begin to afford much more than a trip to the courthouse. I wanted something that would make me happy, and thought that on a board about such wonderful occasions, people could see past their own baggage to be happy for someone else. I genuinely enjoy reading the lovely reports of people whose fortunes are greater than mine, and rejoice in their luck and happiness.

Edited to remove the more colourful things I initially said in anger. Though you are still wrong.

And further, ftr, there is a lovely write up on Offbeat Bride about a couple who sneaked INTO Disneyland proper to get married. A character handler caught sight of them and they thought, "Oh no, jig is up." Instead, the handler brought over Alice and the Mad Hatter to stand in as maid of honour and best man. Afterwards, they were treated to some pictures and a treat.

Wow, way to make ridiculous assumptions about my motivations. Perhaps I am simply wanting to share a happy occasion. I am far from "bragging". If you think I didn't wish I had the money to splash out on a spectacular wedding or even a wonderful intimate one with characters and the photographer, etc. I could say all of the large, obviously expensive weddings are a ridiculous waste of money and the brides are "bragging" that they have the wealth to carry if off, but not only is that mean spirited, I do not truly believe they are "bragging" either.

I would like to point out that one of the most popular threads on this entire site is one where the poster committed a CRIME, accessing Disney property illegally to take pictures of a closed off defunct park. Where is the nasty hate there?

The wedding I had was FAR from even the least expensive of the weddings Disney provides, so there is no comparison to a "legitimate" bride (and please do not cast aspersions on the "legitimacy" of my marriage, please). You are being nasty and mean spirited, much as you may not "bare" (sic) me ill will. I might have taken this a lot better if you clearly weren't the morals police assuming wrongly that I was bragging and "attempting to stir up a hornet's nest".

And for the record, I asked several CMs after the fact if what we had done was an issue, and they even said that we had done it somewhere where they don't ever hold weddings, didn't attempt to take "wedding photos" in the parks or environs, and were unobtrusive and respectful. Respectful. Which is a word I can't use to apply to someone who clearly lives to make other people feel bad.

To other "legitimate" Disney brides: I truly apologise to you if you feel I am bragging or somehow lessening your beautiful weddings with small secret one. I had recently lost a job, am facing the possible return of my cancer, and could not even begin to afford much more than a trip to the courthouse. I wanted something that would make me happy, and thought that on a board about such wonderful occasions, people could see past their own baggage to be happy for someone else. I genuinely enjoy reading the lovely reports of people whose fortunes are greater than mine, and rejoice in their luck and happiness.

Edited to remove the more colourful things I initially said in anger. Though you are still wrong.

And further, ftr, there is a lovely write up on Offbeat Bride about a couple who sneaked INTO Disneyland proper to get married. A character handler caught sight of them and they thought, "Oh no, jig is up." Instead, the handler brought over Alice and the Mad Hatter to stand in as maid of honour and best man. Afterwards, they were treated to some pictures and a treat.

I am sorry that you feel that I am hateful and mean spiited and I am so sorry to show my ignorance by writing bare instead of bear!!!(who was being hateful and sarcastic there!!)
You have jumped to conclusions about my intentions. I was merely trying to warn you that your post about your wedding may not be well received. I certainly wasn't challenging the legitamacy of your marriage and not once did I say anything about your marriage not being legitimate!!!
The thing that made me uncomfortable about your post in the first place, was the fact that you were asking other people to post of their 'sneaky, get away weddings'. It sounded to me that you were proud that you had been sneaky. You wouldn't have invited others to share their rule-breaking adventures if you weren't. You must have realized that encouraging others to post about 'sneaky, get away with it weddings, might stir up that hornet's nest or at the very least, cause some ill-feeling!!! You know what you did was against the rules (or else you wouldn't be calling your wedding 'sneaky'), if you are happy with that then that's fine.
I am sorry I upset you, but I stand by what I say. What you did was against the rules, whether or not CMs said it was an issue or not
It doesn't matter to me how many other brides have broken the rules or how many other threads there are on 'rule-breaking', on this site, several wrongs do not make a right
I am genuinely sorry for your recent misfortunes and health worries, and I do not, as you suggest live to make others feel bad (if that isn't an assumption, I don't know what is!!). I am fairly confident that the many friends I have on these boards will testify that I am not as you seem to percieve me.
I will not post on this thread again, as you will probably never see my point of view and I will probably never see yours, but, like you I stand by what I say.
I hope your health worries go away and you have a long and happy marriage.

Re-read what I wrote, dear, I wrote "sneaky, GET-AWAY wedding", as in "a getaway weekend". Sneaky as in "eloped", as in "our friends don't know about it", not as in "sneaking into Disney World". See also where I wrote that my then fiance and I "sneakily" counted down our wedding on Facebook, rather than arranging a guest list and planning a destination wedding. While I see your point, what you interpreted is NOT what I said, and therefore you were out of line. Anyone can see you added two words to YOUR interpretation that utterly change the meaning of what I said. Therefore I welcome your apology, but having taken your measure, I will not hold my breath for it.

And also for the record, my dear friend's godfather is an executive in the security division at Disney. His opinion of our plans was that we chose not to have the wedding where paying brides would do so. "Would your people be obliged to stop us if we were seen?" "Not at all." I am going to trust his views of the rules over yours, no offense meant. In addition, my "bridesmaid" is herself a CM.

I agree wholeheartedley with Joanne. You did imply you had a sneaky wedding i.e. something you knew you shouldnt have! I am sorry for all your health/money troubles but plenty of brides have these troubles and wait until they are in a position to have a disney wedding instead of breaking rules and undermining all those brides who pay thousands to have a proper disney wedding.
BTW I would not be bragging about a CM bridesmaid - in case you were not aware the wedding where the CM brought over Alice - I am led to understand the CM has been fired and I believe the couple have had some restrictions placed on them about visiting disney so if what I heard is correct boasting about your CM bridesmaid may not be good for her future job and posting about your wedding which clearly flaunts disney rules may not stand you in very good stead for returning to disney at a later stage!
These boards are for disney brides supporting other disney brides and most will not appreciate you posting about your 'sneaky' wedding while others saving hard for many years to pay for their dream wedding many with health or family problems so you justifying your wedding on health and money issues isnt going to fly for most people on these boards!!!!!!!
Also there was no need to be rude to Joanne for having a different opinion from you - she is entitled to her opinion and obviously you posted on here to attract trouble/stir things up because you suggested you only posted for popularity reasons which again suggests you knew you were breaking rules and instead of just begin happy and quiet with your wedding you wanted to flaunt your obvious disregard for rules!!!
I will not be posting again nor am i interested in any reply you might have - you were wrong, you know it, stop trying to upset proper disney brides and despite everything I do wish you a happy marriage!!

I agree wholeheartedley with Joanne. You did imply you had a sneaky wedding i.e. something you knew you shouldnt have! I am sorry for all your health/money troubles but plenty of brides have these troubles and wait until they are in a position to have a disney wedding instead of breaking rules and undermining all those brides who pay thousands to have a proper disney wedding.
BTW I would not be bragging about a CM bridesmaid - in case you were not aware the wedding where the CM brought over Alice - I am led to understand the CM has been fired and I believe the couple have had some restrictions placed on them about visiting disney so if what I heard is correct boasting about your CM bridesmaid may not be good for her future job and posting about your wedding which clearly flaunts disney rules may not stand you in very good stead for returning to disney at a later stage!
These boards are for disney brides supporting other disney brides and most will not appreciate you posting about your 'sneaky' wedding while others saving hard for many years to pay for their dream wedding many with health or family problems so you justifying your wedding on health and money issues isnt going to fly for most people on these boards!!!!!!!
Also there was no need to be rude to Joanne for having a different opinion from you - she is entitled to her opinion and obviously you posted on here to attract trouble/stir things up because you suggested you only posted for popularity reasons which again suggests you knew you were breaking rules and instead of just begin happy and quiet with your wedding you wanted to flaunt your obvious disregard for rules!!!
I will not be posting again nor am i interested in any reply you might have - you were wrong, you know it, stop trying to upset proper disney brides and despite everything I do wish you a happy marriage!!

Thank you so much for your support sweetie!!!

Jeebus, do you people even read???? I did not post about a "sneaky" wedding with regard to Disney. I was posting about the "sneakiness" of my elopment and anyone with a degree of comprehension can see that. Where on EARTH did I post about "popularity" reasons??? I am dumbfounded by the sheer stupidity of your remarks, seriously.

I have been told that there are many members of the DIS Boards that are just plain nasty and that is why they favour the Passporter forums. I can see what they are talking about.

Again, this is a matter of popularity on YOUR parts, because whether "two wrongs make a right", there is no problem with an established poster or three posting about committing crimes on Disney property and being congratulated for it. Joanne misquoted me stem to stern, and I don't believe that you did anymore than read what she said. I can see that the cliques are rife here, given how she hastened to tell me how many friends she had (but *I* am concerned about popularity)

Honestly, I should have realised on a board where women spend tens of thousands on huge elaborate weddings that perhaps they had a level of snobbery that matched. I honest to Christ wasn't trying to brag or rub anything in. My life is pretty much crap, and the only thing that has made me happy for the past six months was my tiny, cheap, stupid little wedding. i hope it made you feel bigger to take that away from me too.

Ugh, rereading your post, you are truly coming across as an appalling person. Where on earth did I indicate I was trying to stir up trouble? Where did I say that I was posting for popularity reasons?

Why are you just being plain mean? You have me in tears now over soomething THAT WOMAN misread???? She completely misread what I said and rather than saying, ok, well I disagree but yes, this one factor was incorrect because misread, you both are just pushing forward as though insisting on it can make it so. It doesn't change that she was WRONG. You are so concerned about me being rude...what about her rudeness.

This is why people lurk and are afraid to post. Perhaps the exclusivity is just how you like it.

I said that I wasn't going to post anymore, and, frankly, I am disappointed with myself for rising to this, but here goes!!
I will apologize, but only for upsetting you. Despite your having 'taken my measure', I do not like to upset anyone. I am truly sorry if I caused you upset.
I do not, however, apologize for, or take back anything I said. You broke the rules - that is fact, and what is more you knew you were doing it. You were then very overt about it all, posting on a thread on which you knew, Disney brides, who have taken the regular route to their Disney weddings, were posting. Surely you realized that you were coming across with a bit of a 'look what I got away with' attitude and would attract negative comments!!
It is irrelevant that you have got the blessing of a member of the higher Disney management, or how many relatives or friends you have among the cast members at WDW, (and it seems it is alright for you to say all about you connections and friends at WDW, but not alright for me to say that I have many friends on the boards!!) you still did something which you knew was against Disney policies and rules and were happy to advertise the fact.
I am sorry that your circumstances prevented you from having a Disney wedding. So did mine. I had to settle for a wedding which, for me, was less than my dream, but I did not resort to breaking rules to get my own way!! I waited until I could afford to do a vow renewal and have my dream day then!! Even then, I could not afford to go down the DFTW route, and found other ways around it (not that I regret having a S/D VR, because I don't - it was perfect for us). I certainly wouldn't have contemplated flouting the rules to get it!!!
If you are fine with what you did, that's great - just don't expect to come on these boards and have other Disney brides, who have minded the rules, applaud you.
You have made many assumptions about my personality (mean-spirited, lives to make people feel bad, THAT WOMAN etc etc.). Not once have I called into question your character or personality, merely your actions. Am I to expect an apology???

NO. I. DID NOT. POST. FOR. THAT. REASON. I posted because this was the *wedding* thread and whether you like it or not, I got married at Disney. I was, like every other bride on this board, excited and happy and wanting to share with other women who also were excited and happy. You have yet t acknowledge how wrong you were in misreading what I wrote which entirely changes how it comes across. You don't know me, but I would be the first to be distressed at someone essentially saying "nanny nanny boo boo" at other women. Do you not see that by your logic, all of you throwing your wealth out there could be construed as bragging. I don't have money, I have creative ideas. That's all this was.

I fail to see your logic with regards to getting the blessing of a higher up vs official Disney policy. There IS no official stated policy advertised, which is why we asked a security executive to begin with. That is the only reason we proceeded. Should I, perhaps, have asked YOUR permission?

And yes, actually, dear, everything about these comments of yours have called my character and personality into question. You made assumptions that I was a pot stirrer instead of maybe, just maybe, thinking that I was excited about getting married. So no, you will not get an apology from me, because you obviously wanted to stir the pot yourself as the morality police. Like I said originally, I would have accepted your comments with far better grace, and perhaps we could have had a better dialogue, had you not added your very rude and unnecessary last line to your original comment. It was assumption of my character right off the bat, and that it no better than what you accuse me of.

And I am fully aware that you will be surrounded by support by all of your "friends" and by virtue of your long term presence on the boards. I would offer, however, that you are speaking with a Florida resident who has probably been to Disney more often in a month than most people do in a lifetime. I know the place, I wouldn't do anything to upset either CMs or management, and I don't do things to be grandstanding or get attention.

As I said earlier, if you are happy with the way you went about things that's fine!!! I work hard to earn my money in a very stressful job and I will not justify to you how I spend it!! Not once did I brag to you about my VR!! It is alright though, it seems for you to mention that you have been to WDW so many times (but, of course, that's not bragging!!!) I was not trying to 'pot stir', merely warning you that your post may not be popular, and by posting about blatant rule transgressions, I am sorry, but you come across as trying to stir up trouble, whether you see that or choose not to.

You say on your blog that the smallest Disney wedding is a thousand dollars per guest. Not so, it costs $1991.00 and can take in up to 6 people.

You know what, I give up!!! I will not become involved in this anymore!! You clearly think you are totally right here and I am nothing but a mean old witch!! I am done!! I concede that you have got the point across that I am a nasty person . I hope that makes you happy.

But that is exactly my point. I DON'T see those elaborate celebrations as bragging. I am saying by your logic, they are. They cost money. Mine cost creativity. No, I did not blatantly break rules. I did not have a wedding I could have purchased. And it is a bit pedantic to say that they do not cost thousands when you quote a price just short of two thousand. Two. Hence, plurals. Hence, thousands.

And still, you have yet to even acknowledge that you grossly misread and misquoted me initially. You don't come across as foolish or stupid, in spite of my vehemently disagreeing with you, so you must realise you got it wrong. You keep telling me what I did wrong and how I "know it!" Well, it's your turn. You were wrong and you know it. Bottom line.

My mention of my many visits to Disney is not bragging (you are REALLY hung up on that) but illustrative of the fact that I would not take risks without information. I live an hour away and enjoy being there often and want to continue going. That is all.

Basically this come down to, you didn't have to post at all. Was it necessary or helpful or valuable? You seem to be one who enjoys mother henning the boards...is it self importance? I hope not. That is such a waste of time and energy. Here's a thought. Why not just be happy for people and not worry about what they are "getting away with"? It's a hall monitor or should I say prefect? view that comes across as unnecessarily pedantic and grim. I have seen your other posts and I would not have thought that was the case.

Here's the insane thing, too. You realise I literally stood next to another human on the monorail, and a friend said about fifty or hundred words at us, right? There were no photos, no procession, no hubub of ANY kind. We could have been having a conversation where two people happened to be standing in front of four others. Seriously, maybe you have some idea that we created a big to-do of some kind. We could have been walking through the park, talking to each other and then signed a piece of paper when we sat down to lunch. It was THAT basic and simple. All this over that. Ridiculous. And if *I* misrepresented it as mo9re impressive or elaborate, THAT I apologise for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!