Hippos and Tigers and Flowers, Oh My! - A Solo March '18 TR - COMPLETED 7/13 - Final Thoughts+New TR

Skipper Canteen looks like its themed really well, but Alex can't handle any kind of spicy food and since you said even the chicken had a kick to it, I doubt I'll get him there to eat.

Glad the PP took the time to make sure you could get the Mickey bar magic shot, but since you made a point of saying how awkward the hand position had to be, I looked at it closely in the photo and yeah...it definitely looks like you had to hold your hand at a weird angle!

Interested to hear if the SDMT Fastpass ended up being necessary.

Lots of great PP pics! The carousel scrim makes it look SO weird!! Can't wait to hear about the after hours event!

Can't wait to hear about that award Leslie interaction!

When we were there, there was just one small little section covered up which almost looked weirder than that. I know they have to do it. But I always get so sad that they have skims up.

I love the Mickey bar magic shot! We definitely didn't do enough magic shots on our trip but stopping and posing with 4 kids isn't always easy. Sometimes each one of my kids would want to be the one with the magic and the photographers would act annoyed to have to do it so many times. The joys of a big family ::yes::

I need to remind myself never to get behind on your TRs because OMG WOW SO MUCH HAPPENED. Also, WOW, I forget how much you can get done on solo trips.

Mmmmm Poutine. It's funny I haven't had Poutine since I went to Quebec around 6/7 years ago now and I'm having a hankering after looking at that. Sorry to hear it was only warm, but it Poutine.

Uber is so finnicky around Disney. I had to use it once during my program and luckily they could come backstage by West Clock (the parking lot for Magic Kingdom CMs) but it was such a madhouse trying to direct the Uber to where we were. Thank goodness Disney has the whole transportation thing figured out otherwise... mostly.

Although I haven't done a full trip alone, I've spent many a day alone in Magic Kingdom and I understand the overwhelming feeling. You go from having to accommodate for other people and now you are free to do what you choose, but what do you do first? Will everything go wrong if you don't make it to this at this time or that by that time? Good thing you get used to it once everything settles into place.

BTMRR in Disneyland makes MK's BTMRR look so sad. It was under refurb for a time during my program and this wasn't long after DLR got the effects update so I thought MK was getting it, but nope. Can't ride it anymore.

It's in the minority to be in favor of the Redhead change? Ew. I'm not going to unpack that but I agree with you it was a good change that needed to happen. It's unfortunate Disney put no effort into it whatsoever. The scene is pitifully scripted and so empty... uggghhhh Again, not going to unpack it, but Disney almost added more fuel to the fire on that one.

Mmmm, Skipper Canteen sounds delicious and my kind of place! I'm sorry it wasn't for you, but that souvenir mug and drink sounds worth it enough.

Yay for getting to see Leota with her eyes opened! It's so entertaining to just stand there and wait for her to open her eyes when your held up by the doors. And I love that magic shot, even if it isn't all three ghosts (I believe they only do that at Halloween and it's not even at the mansion... don't quote me on that I just remember they have the ghost carriage shot near that spot).

DLR's IASW claustrophobic? Hmmm, I never felt that, but I agree as you know. For many MANY reasons (even if I have only ridden the Holiday version, I still know it beats MK's).

Yaaaassss to front row on Mine Train, although that's another one where the back row is best! How lucky you were though to get put there by circumstance!

Can't wait to read about the rest of your night at MK! :mickeyjum

I'm not sure if I'm going to get to another posting this week - I'll try tomorrow! Just pretty busy at work!

Yay! I’m famous (jk :D).

It was great getting to see you on this trip, and I am looking forward to seeing you again soon!

That Uber driver was definitely crazy!

You are going to beat me. :D
Haha, I think you have more readers than me though! I probably will end up getting there first just because it is only a few posts away, while you still have several days to write up!

I get this. I'm glad you included it. And anyway sometimes it's important to tell someone (or several people via trip report) about an encounter with random jerks - it's therapeutic. #THEY'RE THE WORST
I know! Annoying and rude people suck! For Disney Paris, at least I know it's going to happen (for example, lots of guests just stand in the flower beds for fireworks/parades and don't listen to CMs), so I think I'm going to allow myself one general complaint, then move on! :rotfl2:

I didn't realize you didn't get to do Splash in September!! It's my FAV. Did you know it was different before you got on the ride??
I did know there were rows side by side, but didn't realize the animation and lighting and story would all be crisper!

Ooo that one's nice I've never seen it before.
I think he was just hanging around, maybe waiting til dark for the Tangled Lantern shot? But he took a photo when I asked!

Skipper Canteen looks like its themed really well, but Alex can't handle any kind of spicy food and since you said even the chicken had a kick to it, I doubt I'll get him there to eat.
There may be other options that don't worry about spice, so you can always check that! Though I know your trip is relatively short, so maybe there will be other places with better options for everyone.

Glad the PP took the time to make sure you could get the Mickey bar magic shot, but since you made a point of saying how awkward the hand position had to be, I looked at it closely in the photo and yeah...it definitely looks like you had to hold your hand at a weird angle!
Yeah, it was definitely strange, but I really wanted that Magic Shot! I think they had a Dole Whip shot in Adventureland, but I never saw a PP over there to take it :sad1:

Lots of great PP pics! The carousel scrim makes it look SO weird!! Can't wait to hear about the after hours event!
It does look weird! At least Disney does it well with covering their construction scaffolding. Still big boxy things are jarring!

Can't wait to hear about that award Leslie interaction!
Haha!

Just found your report and am loving it!
:welcome:

I love the Mickey bar magic shot! We definitely didn't do enough magic shots on our trip but stopping and posing with 4 kids isn't always easy. Sometimes each one of my kids would want to be the one with the magic and the photographers would act annoyed to have to do it so many times. The joys of a big family ::yes::
Oh yeah, I can't even imagine the competition with 4 kids!

I need to remind myself never to get behind on your TRs because OMG WOW SO MUCH HAPPENED. Also, WOW, I forget how much you can get done on solo trips.
Solo trips are great for getting things done! No needing to wait for anyone or accomodate anyone else's wants/needs!

Mmmmm Poutine. It's funny I haven't had Poutine since I went to Quebec around 6/7 years ago now and I'm having a hankering after looking at that. Sorry to hear it was only warm, but it Poutine.
I did like it, so you will have to add it to your list for an eventual trip!

Uber is so finnicky around Disney. I had to use it once during my program and luckily they could come backstage by West Clock (the parking lot for Magic Kingdom CMs) but it was such a madhouse trying to direct the Uber to where we were. Thank goodness Disney has the whole transportation thing figured out otherwise... mostly.
I used Uber a couple more times on that trip. Nothing was horrible, just some weirdness. But I always eventually got to where I was going, definitely faster than using the buses. I'm not sure yet about December-how often I will rely on Disney vs Uber.

Although I haven't done a full trip alone, I've spent many a day alone in Magic Kingdom and I understand the overwhelming feeling. You go from having to accommodate for other people and now you are free to do what you choose, but what do you do first? Will everything go wrong if you don't make it to this at this time or that by that time? Good thing you get used to it once everything settles into place.
Yeah, good to know I'm not alone!

It's in the minority to be in favor of the Redhead change? Ew. I'm not going to unpack that but I agree with you it was a good change that needed to happen. It's unfortunate Disney put no effort into it whatsoever. The scene is pitifully scripted and so empty... uggghhhh Again, not going to unpack it, but Disney almost added more fuel to the fire on that one.
I know! It's like they just slapped a new face on her and played a recording they randomly made. I'm curious to see the Paris version, since it's the first one where they made the change.

Mmmm, Skipper Canteen sounds delicious and my kind of place! I'm sorry it wasn't for you, but that souvenir mug and drink sounds worth it enough.
The drink was very pretty!

Yay for getting to see Leota with her eyes opened! It's so entertaining to just stand there and wait for her to open her eyes when your held up by the doors. And I love that magic shot, even if it isn't all three ghosts (I believe they only do that at Halloween and it's not even at the mansion... don't quote me on that I just remember they have the ghost carriage shot near that spot).
During the Halloween party they had the Ghost carriage driver. I don't remember if they had the 3 ghosts MS. Maybe at the Christmas party?

DLR's IASW claustrophobic? Hmmm, I never felt that, but I agree as you know. For many MANY reasons (even if I have only ridden the Holiday version, I still know it beats MK's).
I guess I didn't mean claustrophobic. Just when comparing WDW vs DL, WDW feels more open. But it could have just been a couple of the rooms-I don't know the actual square area of each one!

Yaaaassss to front row on Mine Train, although that's another one where the back row is best! How lucky you were though to get put there by circumstance!
At least I got to ride both front and back that trip!

Following!

Your trip sounds great so far! The detail at AKL is wonderful, one of my favs.

Thanks for the Jiko review! Planning to eat there is June and unsure if I should be adventurous and get the Bobotie mac and cheese with the filet or ask for the regular four cheese.

Downtown Disney/Disney Springs has changed so much! I didn't really check it out too much last time I was there in December 2015 but I will have more time this year. It sure looks pretty and all the new restaurants sounds delicious!

Following!

Your trip sounds great so far! The detail at AKL is wonderful, one of my favs.

Thanks for the Jiko review! Planning to eat there is June and unsure if I should be adventurous and get the Bobotie mac and cheese with the filet or ask for the regular four cheese.

Downtown Disney/Disney Springs has changed so much! I didn't really check it out too much last time I was there in December 2015 but I will have more time this year. It sure looks pretty and all the new restaurants sounds delicious!
:welcome:

I guess I can't help with the Bobotie vs regular. I probably would be preferred regular, but it's up to you! Disney Springs really has awesome dining opportunities, so definitely check it out!

Day 1, Part 6 Desserts and Fireworks

Once I got done, it was getting late and lights were coming on, so I stopped to take a photo of The Beast’s Castle…

paovhoL.jpg

…which caused me to miss the cutoff to walk back through the castle to get to Main Street (literally I was 10 ft away when she latched the rope and stopped letting people by. :headache:

After walking around Tomorrowland (I forgot to turn off to go onto Main Street before Cosmic Rays, and instead walked back out thru the main entrance to T-Land), I was able to finally check in at the Happily Ever After Dessert Party! I didn't take buffet photos, but it was the same offerings as last September, so here are some pics from then:

WGPEgpf.jpg
fRRgozH.jpg
qwJ1G48.jpg
O2XpYSK.jpg
O6naG2O.jpg
VtgtYzE.jpg
jFrdxLj.jpg
quqns6e.jpg

They did rearrange it so the cheese and fruit trays were in between the 2 buffet set-ups, and the ice cream/cookies/cupcakes were right next to the buffet, not over by the seating area. They also didn’t have any kid’s kabobs out, but did have some of those options on plates (and I think I saw some kids with Mickey straws, so they may have given those on request). I didn't like that set-up as much as in September, where things were more spread out, as it caused too large of a line at the ice cream (some for ice cream, others just for people getting in line to get other desserts), and also too many people saw the cheese/fruit, so it would run out and need to be replenished in the night.

Anyways, Plate 1. Plenty of strawberries and cheese!

XxifScp.jpg

Plate 2, cheese, fruit, plain cupcake

Kqq95sr.jpg

I chilled there for a decent amount of time, while I didn’t close it down (like Lauren and I did last year), I was probably one of the last 3 groups to leave. But I got my same spot in the garden plaza as last time, resting up against the back fence, as close to Main Street as possible; I got there about 15 minutes before fireworks.

5xbd2gC.jpg
gYWD6Co.jpg

I highly recommend this dessert party, and was one of the only things I repeated from September. It just guarantees a great view as well as some decent desserts (sure, they aren't amazing, but they work). It is just so much more relaxing at the end of the night (albeit my night was far from over) to be able to sit for a while at tables and get a great fireworks spot without having to stake out a spot and worry about people encroaching in on you! I wouldn't be opposed to doing it again, but I don't have it planned in either of my next trips due to scheduling and because I really want to see HEA from right in front of the castle once!

Some photos of the show (I used my phone mount, along with the Bluetooth shutter, so I was able to hold the mount in the right spot and then just click away, so much easier than trying to photograph normally!)

Hx1Jx6d.jpg
Oyj0ZlH.jpg
UIeEWjF.jpg
iWeXbaP.jpg
CYPoKwf.jpg
C5oLrNl.jpg
Gp6jjDs.jpg

I missed photos of the finale, because of …

WEIRD LESLEY-STRANGER INTERACTION #1

So before the fireworks, when I was sitting down against the fence, there was a family next to me (mom/dad/5-yr old boy, maybe 3-yr and 2-yr girls) who were very sweet (I think I took a group photo for them). Because I was sitting down, I was the same eye level as the little girls so I asked if they had fun, and then they proceeded to tell me lots of stuff, though I couldn’t understand the 2-yr old. Then they started pulling out all their toys they bought, which was cute. The mom said the girls were disappointed they couldn’t meet Moana, but when I said she was in the fireworks show, they were very excited! They were adorable during the show always pointing out “Oh, I see Moana” “Look Tiana!” “OLAF!”

Well, once the show started, there was a couple in front of us with a little girl, and they immediately put her on their shoulders. It really obstructed people’s views (you can see her silouette in some of my fireworks photos), and was pretty annoying, because she could have seen from the ground since the garden was so uncrowded. Also, if they just held her normally, it would have also been fine. So, once that happened, the two parents next to me went ahead and picked up their daughters and had them on their shoulders, and they could see pretty well. But the boy was on his own, and he was able to move around the garden a bit to be able to see, but he probably couldn’t see much of the lower castle projections. At once point the dad did try to balance him standing on the back fence, while holding his daughter on his shoulders, but I think it was awkward for both of them. Near the end of the show I turned to the dad and offered, do you want me to hold her so you can hold him?

So, that’s how I ended up with a stranger’s kid on my shoulders during a fireworks show!

It really only lasted a few minutes, because the boy wanted to be a big boy and not on his dad’s shoulders, and once the daughter realized her dad was free, she asked to go back, but it worked! And she was pretty light and pretty cute, so I didn’t mind!

At the end of the show, we waved goodbye and the parents thanked me for helping out.

So, a vote-helpful or creepy? :tongue:

Ok, fireworks done… but Disney After Hours wasn’t starting for another 45 minutes.

giphy.gif

I decided to head into Tomorrowland, for another favorite Magic Kingdom ride, the Peoplemover! Also, is it really a good ride if you don’t put your feet up?

0BklH4A.jpg
zmkRWhk.jpg
FDbfvji.jpg

I had a delightful spin around Tomorrowland, and also got back in touch with Zach, who was on his way over to MK (and was jealous I was on the Peoplemover so I agreed to make the huge sacrifice of going on one of my favorite rides again!)

I then tried to use my DAH lanyard as a fastpass (which some people had luck doing on previous nights in the last hour of park operation). I attempted at Buzz, but was sent away. Monsters Laugh Floor was also closed for the night, so couldn’t do that… and I was just trying to make a decision. I knew Zach was about to use his last fastpass for Talking Mickey (I didn’t want to brave Main Street crowds to get down to the front), so I had time and wandered over towards the Hub, where I realized – Once Upon A Time was about to start! I hadn’t planned on seeing it this trip due to timing, but I did love it on my last visit.

giphy.gif

I went back into the Garden Plaza (it’s no longer reserved after the fireworks, but usually is very empty so you can have a relaxed view). I was hoping to be able to sit down against the back wall, but unfortunately some people came and stood in front of me, so I couldn’t see well enough from the ground.

gCrxYwM.jpg
whWmYIN.jpg
sCcrrWA.jpg
vweit0t.jpg
AA7Dd1h.jpg
E0JQVuz.jpg
yDQggTw.jpg

The best part-Peter Pan

PWY3Z7E.jpg
OgCWU6n.jpg
gq6MnoF.jpg

And now that was over, it was time for Disney After Hours!

Coming up - How many rides would I get on during DAH?

I love your shirt for the evening! Very apprioriate! :thumbsup2

I highly recommend this dessert party, and was one of the only things I repeated from September. It just guarantees a great view as well as some decent desserts (sure, they aren't amazing, but they work).
I def think I want to do this on our next trip. The crowds are just too crazy waiting. And I do want to see it again.

So, that’s how I ended up with a stranger’s kid on my shoulders during a fireworks show!
Now that we have met and spent time together, I totally can see you doing this!

At the end of the show, we waved goodbye and the parents thanked me for helping out.
So, a vote-helpful or creepy? :tongue:
I vote helpful! As I personally found your kindness SUPER helpful when we were in Disneyland. ;)

Also, this is why you should stop at 2 kids. You end up being out numbered!

Ooh, we're doing the dessert party for the first time on our next trip, and it's always nice to see a good review. We're mostly doing it for the fireworks view too :)

Wow, looks like a great dessert party and how nice of you to help the family! I am so excited to hear about your DAH event, I loved it last year sad I missed it this year!

Glad you enjoyed the dessert party again! You got some great fireworks pics! And very nice that you could squeeze in seeing Once Upon a Time!

I'm so glad that you have enjoyed the Plaza Garden view dessert party! I'm doing it next month with my roommate. She's never been to disney before! So I want her to have a good view of the fireworks and projections1

I say you were being helpful in that stranger interaction. It wasn't like you yanked the daughter off of the dad's shoulders, you asked. Shows how much of a nice impression you left on them. I could never do it, but more power to you.

"Is it really a good ride if you didn't put your feet up?" CORRECT.

Yay for catching Once Upon A Time and I so agree, Peter Pan is the best part (ALWAYS the best part.) I can't wait to hear about your After Hours experience! Hopefully you also managed to meet some of the cool rare characters they have out hehehe :mickeyjum

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter