Hippos and Tigers and Flowers, Oh My! - A Solo March '18 TR - COMPLETED 7/13 - Final Thoughts+New TR

Omg wow that's crazy to get off a plane and have all that going off on your phone. Thank goodness it wasn't anything serious and just a room change. I'm sorry to hear you didn't get your partial savannah view like you had hoped, but it seemed like the room you had was nice enough. I love AKL so I'm sure whatever you got was satisfactory.

Glad to hear that there weren't any other major problems after getting off the flight! They really hooked you up with that room location (being near the hot tub, always a plus).

Excited to hear about your first solo ADR of the trip! :mickeyjum

Well...it was one of Mickey's employees...
that def made me even more curious!

Yeah, I am learning from @StarWarsMomofGirls! Doesn't she always end a post on a cliffhanger!
Yup! Cliffhangers are the best! You got to keep the readers interested! :goodvibes

Second-It was Disney calling! Turns out that email they sent, you know with the room assignment that would give me a partial savannah view, yeah it was a mistake (or so they say; maybe more likely they gave it to someone else or something, I'm not sure). Anyways, they had tried calling my phone, then texting me, then emailing me, then CALLING MY PARENTS! (I think I had that phone number in my MDE account). So then I also had my mom calling, and texting, and emailing... :eek:
Man! They were determined to get ahold of you! But I will say this, we had a hotel over the summer book two people in the same room and we were the second one to show up. It was not a pretty scene!

Cont... A lonely dinner? Maybe not!
Another Cliffhanger!!!! I love it! :thumbsup2

That is so odd how you had a room and then it was changed! I’m glad the location was a good spot for the hot tub:cool1:

When DH and I stayed at Kidani last year we also had a room with an "eh" view but a great location. Our view was of the covered bus stop :rolleyes: However we soon realized that if we took the staircase like RIGHT outside our room down one floor and hung an immediate left- we were AT that covered bus stop, instead of having to walk all the way to the lobby and put those doors. We were also very close to a door leading to a short cut to the pool, so we figured we won lol.

I also got the row right behind the driver, since I was one of the last people on the bus.
Best seat on the bus!! :)

lead direct to a side path, that goes right to a hot tub! Literally 130 steps from my room to a hot tub! I took full advantage of that…
BONUS!! Hot tubs make vacation SO relaxing!!! I need to remember that when I book every trip and stay at Pop just to save $$$

So many messages when you turned your phone back on! Glad it wasn't anything too serious.

Your room looks so nice! I'm sorry you didn't end up getting a view.
Yeah, I think the lack of a view was the only bad thing about it! I decided if my brother ever actually comes to Disneyworld (doubtful), then he needs to stay at AKL, since he loves Africa (he studied abroad in South Africa for 6 months)

Omg wow that's crazy to get off a plane and have all that going off on your phone. Thank goodness it wasn't anything serious and just a room change. I'm sorry to hear you didn't get your partial savannah view like you had hoped, but it seemed like the room you had was nice enough. I love AKL so I'm sure whatever you got was satisfactory.

Glad to hear that there weren't any other major problems after getting off the flight! They really hooked you up with that room location (being near the hot tub, always a plus).

Excited to hear about your first solo ADR of the trip! :mickeyjum
First ADR of several! But I discovered it's so much more time efficient on your own, no waiting for someone else to decide what to order, no waiting for their food to be ready at the same time as yours (so mine came out immediately after plating), and then I could head out. But the servers were very good about not rushing if I didn't want it.

following along!
:welcome:

These exact words will be appearing on my next room request. :thumbsup2 Love that you realized this!!
Yup-I counted! And that is from the door to my room to the steps of the tub! :cloud9:

Man! They were determined to get ahold of you! But I will say this, we had a hotel over the summer book two people in the same room and we were the second one to show up. It was not a pretty scene!
Yeah, definitely better than barging into someone else's room! We've had that a couple of times, once the hotel then upgraded us to the presidential suite, which was fun. But then another time, it was my Grandma, who was just getting out of the bath, so she was totally uncovered, and freaked out so much she couldn't sleep the rest of the night and ended up staying at our house instead of the hotel the rest of her trip.

That is so odd how you had a room and then it was changed! I’m glad the location was a good spot for the hot tub:cool1:
Hot tub proximity was definitely a plus!

When DH and I stayed at Kidani last year we also had a room with an "eh" view but a great location. Our view was of the covered bus stop :rolleyes: However we soon realized that if we took the staircase like RIGHT outside our room down one floor and hung an immediate left- we were AT that covered bus stop, instead of having to walk all the way to the lobby and put those doors. We were also very close to a door leading to a short cut to the pool, so we figured we won lol.
Yeah, I was trying to figure out if the stair led to the outdoor bus area (it made sense since there was a non-guest room doorway near the bus stops), but I think it was only available via an employee-only area!

Best seat on the bus!! :)

BONUS!! Hot tubs make vacation SO relaxing!!! I need to remember that when I book every trip and stay at Pop just to save $$$
Oh I know! I keep debating about my February trip. It will be WDW for a few days - cruise - WDW again for a few days. I'm trying to decide if I should do value-value, value-mod, or mod-mod, and while values help with cost, the mods have the hot tub, so...

Oh, and I decided to add a couple extra questions to my intro! (I forgot about them before):

• How many slushees would I end up drinking?
  • How many magic shots would I take? Bonus: how many of the Orange Bird?
  • What would be my new favorite Disneyworld restaurant?

But then another time, it was my Grandma, who was just getting out of the bath, so she was totally uncovered, and freaked out so much she couldn't sleep the rest of the night and ended up staying at our house instead of the hotel the rest of her trip.
Your poor Grandmother!!!

What would be my new favorite Disneyworld restaurant?
Clearly NOT BOG!!!

Day 0, Part 3 A not-so-lonely solo dinner!

So, dinner, and I was pretty excited about this one, since I was eating at Jiko, and everyone seems to love it!

pyMXfMv.jpg
bRJSGbz.jpg
cqDjD2W.jpg

When I checked in I told the hostess that I was ok eating at the Cooking Place, which is elevated kitchen at the center of the room where they make appetizers. This would end up being my view for dinner (also had a cool place setting).

dNz1pU2.jpg
YL8K4h8.jpg

I really appreciated how the hostess walked me around the rest of the restaurant to explain the decorations and how the lighting changes like an African sunset.

And my location was actually a great decision, as I ended up chatting a lot with the chef, so even though I was eating alone, it didn’t feel weird! We ended up chatting about anything and everything-Disney, the hurricane, food, even taxes and college tuition (there was a family at the end of the bar with a 5-yr old son and they also joined in). He also told me all about his favorite work experience when he did catering at the Contemporary during the year of a million dreams, so got to participate in a bunch of fun experiences (like serving dinner in the Haunted Mansion stretching room). I ended up tweeting out a Cast Compliment for him!

Some menu pics (hopefully you can read the writing, but let me know if you want a better photo uploaded):

EysUlBh.jpg
cxccwRH.jpg

I ended up starting with the Victoria Falls Mist [Van der Hum Tangerine Liqueur, Midori Melon Liqueur, Banana Liqueur, Citrus and Sprite]. It was very refreshing and not too alcoholic (I drink when I feel like it, but I don’t particularly love the taste of alcohol).

MjWO2L9.jpg

They also brought out the multi-grain rolls with some sort of special butter (but I don’t like butter, so I don’t remember what type)! Of course I was classy and just ate directly off the serving dish because I forgot I had a bread dish to the side!

0g9AX9A.jpg

For my entrée, I went with the Oak-Grilled Filet Mignon with Bobotie Mac N’ Cheese, Kachumbari, South African Red Wine Sauce.
MdcWQaq.jpg

It was very good, with the meat nice and tender and cooked to my liking (maybe it was a bit more red than pink, but I couldn't tell with the low lighting). The red wine sauce was also yum. I wasn’t as big a fan of the mac and cheese (the bobotie gave it a crunch and a spice, which isn’t to my liking), and I skipped the brussel sprouts.

I ended up also getting dessert, the Kilimanjaro [Tanzanian Chocolate Mousse, Pistachio Financier, Pink Peppercorn Meringue, Cacao Nib Crunch, Ras el Hanout Pineapples]

6ZSt8s0.jpg
ema1zot.jpg

It was also good, though I think a bit too fancy for me! I’m not a pistachio fan, so thought I could just push the crumbles off to the side, but turns out there is a big piece of pistachio cake inside the chocolate mousse!

Overall my impressions on the restaurant - it was very good food, with lots of African flavors and a wonderful ambiance. Though nothing was so earth-shattering that I'm aching to get back there. I wouldn't be opposed to going back, but I think I have so many other places I want to try, it will move to the back burner.

Finished up and I was pretty stuffed. One thing I can say about eating alone, it doesn’t take forever! That whole meal ended up being 1 hr from entering restaurant to leaving which would be a typical length of time for my trip.

I made a quick detour over to the Mara to get some zebra domes for my room (maybe for breakfast, since I was too full from dinner).

Before heading back to my room I decided to check out the pool hours… 10am-8pm! So annoying that you can’t go in without a lifeguard, but the hours are so short!

Anyways, I got back up to my room around 9pm, which my body thought was around 6pm and still energized. My bags hadn't arrived, so couldn't unpack. And it felt like a waste to just watch TV! So...what to do?
:idea:

Cont... anyone guess what I decided to do?

Last edited:
Great review of Jiko. This is on our list for August. Did I red correctly that everyone can sit up at the bar you were at? DH would love that. We just did the Chef's Table at the Napa Rose and it was a blast!

Great review of Jiko. This is on our list for August. Did I red correctly that everyone can sit up at the bar you were at? DH would love that. We just did the Chef's Table at the Napa Rose and it was a blast!
I think so. There were 6 spots, and it's first come first served! All I did was request it when I checked-in.

If you look at the menu it's the things "From the Cooking Place" that they prepare there. I think also some appetizers, but they don't have a full oven (just a brick oven), so thinks like Wild Boar are done in the back kitchen. The chefs there are used to chatting with guests and do it while preparing the food.

The restaurant looks so nice! It's great that you didn't feel alone and that you had such lovely conversations with the chef!

Have you tried Boma? If so, would you prefer Jiko or Boma? Both of those restaurants are on my list to try if I ever get a chance to stay at AKL.

Hmm...I feel like you told me, but I can't remember. Either go check out the savannah or go to Disney Springs?

The restaurant looks so nice! It's great that you didn't feel alone and that you had such lovely conversations with the chef!
It was a lovely meal!

Have you tried Boma? If so, would you prefer Jiko or Boma? Both of those restaurants are on my list to try if I ever get a chance to stay at AKL.

Hmm...I feel like you told me, but I can't remember. Either go check out the savannah or go to Disney Springs?
I haven't done Boma for dinner, just brunch, which was excellent. I've heard Boma dinner is like Tusker House but even better, so I'm going to try it when I stay there in November/December (but I assume you will have visited WDW at least 4 more times before then!). I'd say if you feel like a signature restaurant with thoughtful African-inspired dishes, go with Jiko. But if you are feeling more casual, family-friendly brunch style, go with Boma. Then there is Sanaa over at Kidani, but I don't like Indian, so probably will never get over there!

It was also good, though I think a bit too fancy for me! I
I am with you on the desserts. I don't need them to be super fancy!

I've heard Boma dinner is like Tusker House but even better, so I'm going to try it when I stay there in November/December
Boma is way better than Tusker House. So much more to choose from and all of it is much better. In my oppion, at least. Def try it! We ask love it, even the girls!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter