Hilton Head Island Ordinance Requiring Face Coverings Expired today, May 13 per Governor's order - update in Post#8

WebmasterDoc

Administrator
Administrator
For Immediate Release from The Town of Hilton Head Island
Hilton Head Island Ordinance Requiring Face Coverings
Set to Expire on May 16

Hilton Head Island, S.C.May 4, 2021- The Hilton Head Island ordinance requiring people to wear a face covering inside commercial buildings to limit the spread of COVID-19 is set to expire Sunday, May 16, after Town Council voted Tuesday not to extend it.

Town Council members, however, encouraged the public to remain vigilant and continue taking preventative measures to minimize any potential outbreaks of COVID-19 and protect the health and safety of residents, visitors and workers throughout the community.

Residents and Island visitors are encouraged to adhere to new guidance the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released last week. For more information on CDC guidelines for vaccinated and unvaccinated persons, visit https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html.

The State of South Carolina never mandated face coverings, but many municipalities did create ordinances to that effect, including Hilton Head Island.

In less than 2 weeks, that policy will be allowed to expire as the Town Council voted not to extend the current policy. While the town policy will expire, many businesses may still require masks.
Edited May 13, 2021 to update:

Per SC Governor McMaster's order today, May 13, 2021, the mask mandate has been lifted statewide, including Hilton Head Island. Updated article is in Post #8.

This afternoon the CDC also updated their mask suggestions for those vaccinated.

Last edited:
For Immediate Release from The Town of Hilton Head Island
Hilton Head Island Ordinance Requiring Face Coverings
Set to Expire on May 16

Hilton Head Island, S.C.May 4, 2021- The Hilton Head Island ordinance requiring people to wear a face covering inside commercial buildings to limit the spread of COVID-19 is set to expire Sunday, May 16, after Town Council voted Tuesday not to extend it.

Town Council members, however, encouraged the public to remain vigilant and continue taking preventative measures to minimize any potential outbreaks of COVID-19 and protect the health and safety of residents, visitors and workers throughout the community.

Residents and Island visitors are encouraged to adhere to new guidance the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released last week. For more information on CDC guidelines for vaccinated and unvaccinated persons, visit https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html.

The State of South Carolina never mandated face coverings, but many municipalities did create ordinances to that effect, including Hilton Head Island.

In less than 2 weeks, that policy will be allowed to expire as the Town Council voted not to extend the current policy. While the town policy will expire, many businesses may still require masks.
Do you think that Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort will alter its policy after this date? Or will it stay the same as WDW?
I know that you have a lot of experience at DHHIR.

Last edited:
Do you think that Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort will alter its policy after this date? Or will it stay the same as WDW?
I know that you have a lot of experience at DHHIR.

I know WebmasterDoc has lots more experience with DHHIR than I, but I know CMs I've discussed certain rules with in the past have said their "marching orders" come from Disney in Florida.

I know WebmasterDoc has lots more experience with DHHIR than I, but I know CMs I've discussed certain rules with in the past have said their "marching orders" come from Disney in Florida.
That is what I was curious about. Thank you!
I am interested to see about policy moving forward for Disney since they have DVC in HI, CA, FL, and SC. (Plus we have a DVC stay at DHHIR in July!)

I have no information regarding DHHIR policies after May 16.

As already noted above, DVC itself will likely decide what policy changes will be in place and the decision may not come from the local resort staff.

I'm certain that many local resorts and businesses will continue to have more rigid requirements than those allowed by State and local municipalities.

The town council vote was far from unanimous (a single vote decided the outcome) and the council will likely closely follow the "numbers" in the immediate timeframe after the changes. I would hazard a guess that Disney is more likely to look at CDC and local guidelines in place and may even just keep a consistent policy in place for all Disney Resorts (DVC and otherwise).

Stay tuned!

Also, I wonder if, although the local government ends the mask mandate, if all private businesses will still have one. For example, I wonder if you'll still be required to wear a mask in Kroger or when walking into a restaurant. Here in our area of Texas, although our state government has lifted the mask requirement, you'd never know it if you go into the local HEB, Walmart, etc. All businesses, it seems have signs that you MUST wear a mask if you enter their business.

Hilton Head Island Mask Mandate Ends Following Order From S.C. Governor Restricting Local Mask Laws

Following SC Governor Henry McMaster’s order restricting local mask mandates, the Hilton Head Island ordinance requiring people to wear a face covering inside commercial buildings will no longer be enforced as of today.

The Town's mandate was originally scheduled to expire on Sunday, May 16, following a recent vote by Town Council not to extend it beyond that date.

On Tuesday, Governor McMaster issued Executive Order 2021-23, which explicitly prohibits any county or local governments in the state from relying on prior orders or using a state of emergency as the basis for a local mask mandate and bars all state agencies, local governments, and political subdivisions from requiring what has commonly been referred to as "vaccine passports" for any reason.

"We want to thank our residents, businesses and visitors for complying with our mask mandate and other precautions to limit the spread of COVID-19 in our community. All of the measures we have taken were in the best interests of our residents," said Mayor John McCann. "Now, we’re simply encouraging people to continue being safe and to consider getting a vaccine if they haven’t done so already."

I have no information regarding Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort policy.

Hoping for a mask free experience when we are there in the July heat. Does anyone know if things have changed since WDW updated their mask policy?

I was at the HHI resort last week and everyone was still fully masked. But this was only on the Disney property. The resort sits on Shelter Cove Marina and the rest of the marina was mask free. A couple of shops we went to there were a couple of kids (employees) wearing masks but they didn’t require shoppers to wear them. They told me they hadn’t been vaccinated yet so it was their choice to wear them. I wore mine too for their comfort but most ppl were unmasked on the island.

According to a person familiar with DHHIR, the current policy is that a mask is required while indoors on Disney property at Hilton Head Island.
A mask is optional while outdoors from what the person posted under DHHIR owners and lovers thread, plus the HHI Lovers thread on DVC resorts page.

Hoping for a mask free experience when we are there in the July heat. Does anyone know if things have changed since WDW updated their mask policy?
We are traveling in July to DHHIR and it looks like the mask policy has been updated for being required inside only on Disney property at HHI as of now.

Last edited:
Yes, we were there during the change over.

Our first night we had to have masks while outside and the next day, we did not.

We arrived at DHHIR on May 15th, and when I checked in, the cast member told me that they had just received a call from Disney corporate telling them that they no longer had to require mask wearing outside. This meant on the grounds, around the pool, and at the beach house. The only time I had to put on a mask at the resort during our entire stay was to go into the main building where the check-in desk is, and to go into the Mercantile (the shop by Tide Me Over). It was wonderful, and was a great stay in general. We love DHHIR!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!