Hilton Head in January Q's

DizDays

DVC & D23 Member
We just booked a 1BR at Hilton Head for late January. First time staying there. We're very excited. This will be a chill out relaxing week to recover from several huge events at work throughout November and December.
So.... questions:

(1) What can we expect weather to be like? (We're from Chicago so we expect it to be an upgrade no matter what it's like.)

(2) We are water and nature lovers - VIEW is important to us. What request do we want to make regarding room location? Are there ocean views or is it more marshy area?

(3) What are the "must do's" while we're there with regard to food, activities, and sightseeing?

Thanks all! I know I can always rely on the sage advice of my DISBoards DVC family!

We just booked a 1BR at Hilton Head for late January. First time staying there. We're very excited. This will be a chill out relaxing week to recover from several huge events at work throughout November and December.
So.... questions:

(1) What can we expect weather to be like? (We're from Chicago so we expect it to be an upgrade no matter what it's like.)

(2) We are water and nature lovers - VIEW is important to us. What request do we want to make regarding room location? Are there ocean views or is it more marshy area?

(3) What are the "must do's" while we're there with regard to food, activities, and sightseeing?

Thanks all! I know I can always rely on the sage advice of my DISBoards DVC family!

1) - it will definitely be better than Chicago. Late January daytime temps will range from 40's to 60's at HH. The pool is heated, so that can still be enjoyed.

2) - The HH resort is located on Broad Creek - a tidal marsh that cuts thru the center of HH. The ocean is a little over a mile from the resort (there is a shuttle between the resort and Beach House). Views are marsh view, pool view and island view. I'd request the marsh view. Over the years, we've enjoyed watching dolphin, otter, manatee, osprey and a wide variety of shore birds in the marsh within 50 yards of the resort. (The manatee were even in the harbour - but that was during the summer.)

3) - There are a wide range of activities available year-round from the resort staff plus trips to Savannah and Charleston. The Arts Center of Coastal Carolina is within walking distance of the resort with wonderful presentations. (I think they will be between musicals in late January though.) There are about 6 restaurants within walking distance and another 250 a short drive away ( :teeth: ). There are outlet malls and lots of boutique shops all over the island. The Coastal Discovery Museum offers nature programs. The resort will have a great list of local activities as well as those offered right at the resort. Gordon, at the Mercantile, is a great resource for all things HH (as is B'Lou Crabbe too).

There are 21 1BR villas at the resort and 16 are located in the Live Oak Lodge - so the chances are good that's where you would be located. The other 5 1BRs are located beneath a GV and can be a little noisy due to the wood flooring in the dining area. Of those with a Marsh View, only building 18 has a 1BR villa. I'd just request an upper floor Marsh View villa and hope for the best.

Here is a more detailed description of the HHI resort and a map of the resort.

Enjoy!

So.... questions:

It will be chilly, but better than Chicago! We lived in suburban Chicago for 14 years. You may be able to get away with sandals!

I would request a marsh view. My favorite buildings are 31, 29, and 27. Here's a link to a property map in case you haven't seen it: http://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/HHMap.pdf The resort is not built on the ocean, but there is a Disney beach house on the ocean that has beach access and a nice pool.

I would suggest you go into Sea Pines Plantation at the southern end of the Island. It costs $5 per car, but you can come and go all day. In Sea Pines, go to Harbour Town. That's where the iconic lighthouse is and some nice shops and restaurants. I would consider a day trip to Savannah. It takes about 45 minutes to drive there. There are good outlets in Bluffton. You'll pass them on your way to the Island. Choice of restaurants is pretty subjective. The CMs at the resort will help you, but there are many very good restaurants.

A vacation on Hilton Head is wonderful!

Thanks for all the info Doc! I was also thinking of going to HHI in January, I can spend the whole month there and the points are super low and it still sounds like there is a ton to do.

Thanks again,

Tito

297039_10150292172548744_634053743_7769220_1691262_n.jpg

Thanks, Doc! That's great information. I truly appreciate it and still welcome everyone else's opinions and experience as well. I love learning things before we take a trip. It always makes it such a rich experience when you get there, and builds the anticipation along the way.

You guys are the best!

I think "cold" is a relative term. January in Chicago is usually between 0 and 30 degrees (low/high) on a good day - before windchill. From what I'm hearing, it will feel like spring. :rotfl:

We went in January a few years ago, and the low was 18 !!

(The radio said that it was the coldest weather in many years.)

The floors in our 1st story villa were freezing cold. We made pathways with our pool towels and we were fine.

We saw some people out having fun and riding bicycles with heavy Pittsburgh Steelers gear. You'll be fine!

When we arrived last year on the day after Christmas it was snowing :scared1:
Not the stick on the ground but the flakes were falling.

Dh had tee times during the week and a couple of times they were delayed because the ground had to thaw out some :rotfl2::rotfl2:

It did warm up as the week progressed. It was fun.

Enjoy your time there.

Thanks SusieBea and everyone for the great advice. I'm excited to be going. I'm sure we'll weather the cold pretty well. I love the idea of some of the places you all recommended. THANK YOU!

The best views for water and nature are probably in the main building. 1138 is our favorite. Otherwise, there's a nice 1 BR view in buiding 18. But since you're going in January, I'd recommend the main lodge for proximity to Big Murgie's Den. There's nothing like curling up there on a cold day, while the fireplace is going, having hot apple cider and cranberry nut cookies

040.jpg

View from #1812

DSCF1369.jpg

#1138-

HHI-2009007.jpg

If you like nature, I'd definitely recommend a trip (or two) to Sea Pines Forest Preserve, Fish Haul Creek area, or Pinckney Forest Preserve. And there's a boardwalk area by the Visitor's Center in Honey Horn area that we haven't gotten to yet, but it looks promising. Since we're birders, we're always looking for the nature areas.

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for posting those. I know we are going to love it. With all the suggestions that have been offered up, we might have to consider booking another few days. :)

Another Savannah vote for cold.

I have seen 80 deg days in Jan and 4 deg days in January. If you can figure out what we are going to get, let me know.

As for a must do, you MUST go walk on the beach. Even if it is cold, it will be beautiful.

Come to Savannah. Spend Money!

it could be cold! we are also from chicago and absolutely can't stand the winter months (dec thru feb). if i could hibernate like a bear for those 3 months we would have an ideal climate of 3 1/4 seasons:banana:

I love :love: Cranberry Nut cookies, that sounds like a good idea sitting by the fire place and eating some.

Tito

297039_10150292172548744_634053743_7769220_1691262_n.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter