High School- Scholarships

dreamin_disney

DIS Veteran
Hello parents . My DD will start college in the fall 2017. We don't qualify for any financial aid. My daughter will be attending a state school in CA. She applied for several scholarship . When should we start hearing back if she got any? College financial aid they will send her info to the state but we wont know until sept. She will get $5500 freshman loan and hopefully wont need full amount if she get scholarships anything helps. Just trying to figure it out because I have to put down $790 balance because they said they figure the loan so our balance is $790 . This is all a first for us :)

I think most scholarship applications are usually due in and around March, right? You would probably hear back by June or so, I'd think. Did she apply for any via her high school? Often there are a lot to apply for there and if she's lucky she'll get a couple. Maybe she could work this summer to help earn the balance. There are a lot of hidden costs. Will she be living at school, or commuting? Even commuters need gas, food, and parking money. Also look to see if there are any expenses you can all cut down on to help save money over the summer. (The "latte effect".) I don't think you can really depend much on scholarships these days. Doesn't CA cover tuition for in-state residents, or has that changed? Does she just have to pay to live there? Trying to understand your situation.

I'd imagine it would depend entirely on the types of scholarships that she'd get. I mean, there's a very good chance she won't get any.

If I understand correctly though, you mean that 5500 (fed loan?) covers everything except $790? That's a pretty affordable college. I'd just put down the $790, see what she gets, and then see how much of the loan she uses. You can pay the rest back into it, although I never did- consider that estimated expenses are usually higher than what you've actually calculated. So unless she gets a LOT of scholarship money, it's likely that several hundred dollars will be needed for books anyway. That comes out of your pocket or out of your loan. So either way, there goes that $800.

Although I wouldn't think you've even got to pay that 790 until the first week of school and by that point you'd know what your balance is...

Our high school senior has received all the scholarships we expect him to receive. Here, they come in in April.

Honestly, the best shot at scholarship $ for us have been merit based at their university based on ACT/SAT scores.

Ds is the 1st of 3 kids to receive a scholarship from our community.

We've found that the ones on the college prep websites are over applied for by all kids hoping to go to college.

Balances for 1st semester here are owed 2 weeks before classes start.

Sometimes awarded scholarship money doesn't actually come until later. DD received two small scholarships from the school/community last year, but in order to get the money, she had to submit her fall transcript to show that she'd successfully completed her first semester's classes, and also include her bill for her second semester's classes. She just sent them in a few weeks ago and only received the checks in the past week. So those didn't help much with paying either semester's bill. She did get a small third one which she got right away. DS got just one small one that he got right away. (There were two others he should've gotten, but didn't.)

Each scholarship she applied to should indicate when it will notify the recipient(s). Have your daughter go online and check each.

Hello parents . My DD will start college in the fall 2017. We don't qualify for any financial aid. My daughter will be attending a state school in CA. She applied for several scholarship . When should we start hearing back if she got any? College financial aid they will send her info to the state but we wont know until sept. She will get $5500 freshman loan and hopefully wont need full amount if she get scholarships anything helps. Just trying to figure it out because I have to put down $790 balance because they said they figure the loan so our balance is $790 . This is all a first for us :)

Call the school. It is late May. You should have already heard I would think. We knew in March/April, I think?

Did she apply for Merit Aid at the school she is going too?

My dd got 3 scholarships, one of which will be ending due to cuts to college in my state (It is for getting above a 30 on the ACT, she got a 32).

The other 2 were from the school and that was based on her ACT score combined with her GPA and other stuff.

Did your dd meet the criteria for the scholarships with her grades? It is tough out there for sure.

My dd got 3 scholarships, one of which will be ending due to cuts to college in my state (It is for getting above a 30 on the ACT, she got a 32).

Just curious, which one is ending? My son is in this group but graduating this weekend, so it's moot for him.

Just curious, which one is ending? My son is in this group but graduating this weekend, so it's moot for him.

They are cutting "Bright Flight", which is a state of Missouri scholarship for getting a 30 & up on the ACT.

Not sure IF they are going to cut it totally. We are told than they are reducing it for the Spring semester 2017. We will see what happens. It was (is) 3,000/yr.

They are cutting "Bright Flight", which is a state of Missouri scholarship for getting a 30 & up on the ACT.

Not sure IF they are going to cut it totally. We are told than they are reducing it for the Spring semester 2017. We will see what happens. It was (is) 3,000/yr.
That's really a disappointment. I know it went up during my son's freshman year. He got a check out of the blue for the extra. I'm glad he's done. But my daughter is a sophomore and thinks she might like to go to MU. I'll have to keep an eye on it. I should have him sign on to the portal before he graduates and look for updates.

Thanks for the info!

My DD attends a state university here in Massachusetts. She received several scholarships for her first two years through the school...ones she applied to, but we didn't here about them until late June or early July. She received a letter telling us she cwas awarded them and then right after that we got the bill for the fall semester with the awards applied. So it could be a while depending on the school.

My DD attends a state university here in Massachusetts. She received several scholarships for her first two years through the school...ones she applied to, but we didn't here about them until late June or early July. She received a letter telling us she cwas awarded them and then right after that we got the bill for the fall semester with the awards applied. So it could be a while depending on the school.

My DD is going into her second year at UMass Lowell and was wondering when she would be hearing about her awards..Thanks

My DD is going into her second year at UMass Lowell and was wondering when she would be hearing about her awards..Thanks

What does your daughter think about UMass Lowell? My daughter is seriously thinking about applying there in the fall.

I think most scholarship applications are usually due in and around March, right? You would probably hear back by June or so, I'd think. Did she apply for any via her high school? Often there are a lot to apply for there and if she's lucky she'll get a couple. Maybe she could work this summer to help earn the balance. There are a lot of hidden costs. Will she be living at school, or commuting? Even commuters need gas, food, and parking money. Also look to see if there are any expenses you can all cut down on to help save money over the summer. (The "latte effect".) I don't think you can really depend much on scholarships these days. Doesn't CA cover tuition for in-state residents, or has that changed? Does she just have to pay to live there? Trying to understand your situation.
She applied for several that were in her high school websites that were listed. Plus she's done some from scholarships points( wonder if it's legit) and fastweb scholarships. Are merit ones for testing scores?

She will live in the dorms. I will cover housing and meal plan. I wish ca covered tuition but the dont

Our high school senior has received all the scholarships we expect him to receive. Here, they come in in April.

Honestly, the best shot at scholarship $ for us have been merit based at their university based on ACT/SAT scores.

Ds is the 1st of 3 kids to receive a scholarship from our community.

We've found that the ones on the college prep websites are over applied for by all kids hoping to go to college.

Balances for 1st semester here are owed 2 weeks before classes start.
DD graduates in June. At the end of this month she has avid Award night and another night senior recognition so maybe then the school will announce if she got any. She has 3.9 gpa several AP classes but gets test anxiety so she doesn't do well on the AP exams. She has all A's except for AP stats she top 7% in her class. Two Private colleges offered her $25,000 academic achievement awards but not sure if her state college will offer anything.

She applied for several that were in her high school websites that were listed. Plus she's done some from scholarships points( wonder if it's legit) and fastweb scholarships. Are merit ones for testing scores?

She will live in the dorms. I will cover housing and meal plan. I wish ca covered tuition but the dont

Merit scholarships are for test scores and GPA. My daughter is a senior and received generous ones from the schools she applied to. She didn't have to submit anything extra for what she received. Some colleges do have scholarships that require a separate application.

She applied to scholarships through her school that she'll hear about in june along with a few others.

What does your daughter think about UMass Lowell? My daughter is seriously thinking about applying there in the fall.

She loves it. She is in the Honors College and the Nursing Program and is doing really well. If you have any questions let me know !!

Maybe you can look up the individual scholarships? Also call the high school. My guess is no she did not get any of those but you never know. Call them to double check stuff. It can't hurt.

Merit Scholarships are offered by the college that you are attending and where the "full ride" comes from 99% of the time.

Our state college hardly gave dd jack compared to the tuition & boarding, so she ended up at a smaller college where they gave her more money and it is cheaper, plus she had tons of AP credit applied to her degrees. That being said she planned it that way.

My DD applied for several local scholarships in/around our town. Most were due the last week in April/first week of May. We have not heard back from any of those yet. She got a scholarship from the school ($13,000 a year for each year if she keeps her grades up). Hoping to hear over the next month or so if she got any of the scholarships she applied for.

Her first semester payment is due July 15th - she starts last week of August/first week of September. Her second semester payment is due November 15th with a start date of early/mid January. Wish I had until right before school started like some folks here.

My DD applied for several local scholarships in/around our town. Most were due the last week in April/first week of May. We have not heard back from any of those yet. She got a scholarship from the school ($13,000 a year for each year if she keeps her grades up). Hoping to hear over the next month or so if she got any of the scholarships she applied for.

Her first semester payment is due July 15th - she starts last week of August/first week of September. Her second semester payment is due November 15th with a start date of early/mid January. Wish I had until right before school started like some folks here.

Did you see if they have a payment plan? A number of schools have an outside that charges a set fee instead of interest. At my dd's school, it's maybe $70/semester or $90/year to set up monthly payments.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter