High School Dilema, do I pull her out or wait for March Break?

kg66

DIS Veteran
We have always went during off season, but this year my oldest starts high school and so many people have told me you can't do it once they hit high school because they fall too far behind. I'd like to hear from you...
I looked at our March Break and compared it to the time we normally go in February and for the exact same package I'm saving almost $1100:eek:
I'm kind of thinking about waiting to see her 1st semester courses, and possibly moving her timetable around to ensure it's a bit easier if needed.
Any suggestions? And, does anyone remember where you check to see when spring break is for the US states?
TIA

I've always felt this just depends on your child. If they are a committed student, they wil put in the extra effort before/after vacation to ensure they don't miss out - cooperative teachers help too! :goodvibes

To save a few $$, you may want to book (and I mean now) a rental home rather than staying at a Disney Resort. We bought 10-day passes with no expiry a few years ago and plan on using them for that reason. Maybe book one close to DW and spend a few days there, swimming etc., and then book a couple nights at a resort of your choice for when you decide to do the world?

That may make it more affordable during March Break if you have to do it then.

Will they be doing exams? I think here in PEI the exams are usually around the end of January, which would mean that early February might be more of a review/introduction time that could be easier to catch up on.

I usually say it depends on the child/family. Don't ask for extra work if you're not going to do it, because it usually entails in extra work for the teacher to prepare it.

I teach elementary and my thoughts are usually that there is more to life than just "school" and the children/students learn just as much from travel and experiences, just different things!

As long as there is nothing critical (Like an exam or a due project) then there is nothing that they cannot make up either before or after the trip.

But as others have said, it depends on your kids. If they are just skating by with minimum marks, then they are likely to dip, and possibly fail.

If they are the kind that do their work without argument, then they are allready getting 75+ and they wont dip at all because of 1 week away

Lastly, a trip to Disney is a Reward. If your kids are doing well in school, then the trip can motivate them. If you constantly have to ride them to get them to do their homework, then maybe you dont want to reward them with a trip to Disney.

If the school is semestered.....every 1 day that the kids are absent it's the equivalent of 2 days.

Semestered schools also have semester turn around at the end of January, start of February that often gives the kids a week off. Couple that with the fact that many courses don't do final exams....they do in class presentations or projects...you would end up with at least a week off.

If the school is semestered.....every 1 day that the kids are absent it's the equivalent of 2 days.

Semestered schools also have semester turn around at the end of January, start of February that often gives the kids a week off. Couple that with the fact that many courses don't do final exams....they do in class presentations or projects...you would end up with at least a week off.

Hi - My expericence with a school that has semesters is completely different. My daughter is in a highschool with 2 semesters per year. They do not have a week off between semesters but have 4 days for exams (1 per day) and 2 additional days for a snow day if needed and semester turnaround day. The new semester almost always starts on a Friday so you can't get away for a long weekend by using the two additional days. Also, she has always had to to write an exam for every class.

It really depends on what courses they have that semester and the volume of work. I always said I would not take her our during high school but last November pulled her out for 2 days as her course load was easier that semester and she knew she could get caught up quickly.

I would just go on March break. We always go on Ontario break (DW is a teacher) and find the crowds to be pretty good; most of the US states break after us, Quebec is before us. We are off-siters and Timesharers though, so our accomodation costs are fixed.

I have 1 in HS and another entering next year, and it is just too risky to plan to take them out. The fact is that while you are planning (now) you have no idea of how they will be progressing, or what tests, presentations, summatives may be due on the week you are away. Highschool is much more intense than when I went (30 :scared1: years ago); I guess it's cramming 5 years learning into 4.

With a bit of planning, a March break trip doesn't need to break the bank or be a slog through overcrowded parks. It's actually alot of fun for us to use all of the tips here for planning and picking the right days and ways to do Disney.

We too have a DD starting highschool and were not sure how to handle our traditional Sept/Oct Disney trips. We spoke to other parents that we have met at DIS meets around here and also friends with highschool age kids and they say that teachers are very understanding and and if the child is a good student then there really isnt much of an issue. We were booked for Disney this September however my DSis is renting a beach house in St Georges Island again so we will go there instead ( and of course are taking DD)

The week leading into labour day is good and the florida kids are in school. Another thought is the at least our school board is not going back after Christmas until the 2nd week of Jan

Hi - My expericence with a school that has semesters is completely different. My daughter is in a highschool with 2 semesters per year. They do not have a week off between semesters but have 4 days for exams (1 per day) and 2 additional days for a snow day if needed and semester turnaround day. The new semester almost always starts on a Friday so you can't get away for a long weekend by using the two additional days. Also, she has always had to to write an exam for every class.

It really depends on what courses they have that semester and the volume of work. I always said I would not take her our during high school but last November pulled her out for 2 days as her course load was easier that semester and she knew she could get caught up quickly.

In my kids school exams are on Thurs, Fri, Mon and Tues. They then are free until Monday when the new semester starts.....5 days off. Twice my DD did not have any exams on the Mon, Tues as they did summatives or in class presentations....we knew well in advance and booked vacations for those weeks. Funny though, come June there have always been 4 exams.

My 15 year old missed a week before Christmas break last year, and then another week the beginning of March as we did not want to travel during March Break. IMHO, do not go during March Break - it was getting really crowded when we were there, and heard many horror stories about how crazy it got after we left for the CDN march Break - there are many other states having Spring Breaks all of March and part of April, so if you can go in February I would be all over that. It will be cheaper, not crowded at all (as long as you don't go President's Day weekend), and there's usually not a lot going on at school. My DD took assignments with her both trips, and she didn't have any trouble catching up at all.
Happy planning!!!

We have always went during off season, but this year my oldest starts high school and so many people have told me you can't do it once they hit high school because they fall too far behind. I'd like to hear from you...
I looked at our March Break and compared it to the time we normally go in February and for the exact same package I'm saving almost $1100:eek:
I'm kind of thinking about waiting to see her 1st semester courses, and possibly moving her timetable around to ensure it's a bit easier if needed.
Any suggestions? And, does anyone remember where you check to see when spring break is for the US states?
TIA

Spring break in the US is decided by each individual school system. Most springs can run from anywhere from mid-March to late April. I hope this helps.

I used to always take my son out of school for our trip to Disney. When he started high school last year, that came to an end, its too easy for them to fall behind and the semesters are too short as it is to miss any time. For us now, it's March Break or nothing - that's one reason we didn't get to go this year - hockey isn't over until April and March Break is in...March.

Thank you everyone for your words of wisdom....we've decided and booked to go later in March after Cdn March Break, for FD and it's the week of my birthday:rotfl2: If she's going to miss school, I may as well get something out of it! Unbelievably, we're saving huge by moving it a few weeks, and with the FD package! DD is an honour student going into high school and I have no doubt she'll attack high school like she did Grade school! We will notify teachers at the beginning of the semester, and have her turn in any papers/projects/presentations before we leave, and take work with us!

Thank you everyone for your words of wisdom....we've decided and booked to go later in March after Cdn March Break, for FD and it's the week of my birthday:rotfl2: If she's going to miss school, I may as well get something out of it! Unbelievably, we're saving huge by moving it a few weeks, and with the FD package! DD is an honour student going into high school and I have no doubt she'll attack high school like she did Grade school! We will notify teachers at the beginning of the semester, and have her turn in any papers/projects/presentations before we leave, and take work with us!

Sounds like it's not a worry with your daughter, but keep in mind that Canadian March breaks are not always the same in each province. I think between NS, NB and PEI they are usually 3 different weeks, but the last few years that changed. PEI March break is always the 3rd week in March (I usually just look for St. Pat's and know that the March break is coming up right after/or during if it's a Friday or Saturday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter