High Cholesterol

mickey65

Canadian Snow Girl
I know there are a few of us who posted on the CB about high cholesterol. How about sharing tips and supporting each other. I know for myself I was totally freaked out when the doctor told me how high mine was. I never thought it might be high at all, I already eat a low fat diet and exercise. My grandmother had her first heart attack at age 27, so now I am very worried about mine.

Anyone else want to share?

Before starting the Atkins diet, I went to the dr. for a full physical and to get the ok to start my diet. My blood pressure was high (almost to the point of prescribing drugs) and my cholesterol was also very high.

After being on Atkins for 2 months I went back for another checkup. Besides being down 30 pounds, my blood pressure was back in the normal zone, and my bad cholesterol had dropped drastically, and my good cholesterol was just where it should be!! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

They have both stayed normal ever since! (That was 2 years ago) :D

With the Atkins diet, you are supposed to eat carbs - just healthy ones. Make sure you get them in vegetables, nuts, cheese, etc., and just try & stay away from the processed flours & sugars. :D

Both my cholesterol and triglycerides are high....trigycerides being MUCH worse though. It was suggested that I go on meds to drop both. I work for a cardiologist and we deal with these meds all the time....and the side effects that come along with them. I decided to go on the Atkins diet and get my weight down. Now my boss said Atkins is NOT the way to go but my primary doctor said GO FOR IT....just promise me you will have your lipid levels checked in three months. Sooooo Im going for it! Carbs and sugar cause a rise in triglyceride levels so the Atkins diet should reduce that GREATLY. I figure the weight loss will help with the cholesterol. Im also trying to be careful to eat lower fat proteins, chicken, turkey, seafood, fish. I cant wait for the day when I can walk into my doctors office at goal weight with NORMAL lipids. I dont figure that will be at next lipid check but maybe the one after that.

Rhonda, that is great! Keep up the good work.

lvs, good luck with your program! I need to have a bit of carbs as I do weight lifting and need the energy for that (but I eat the good carbs)

lvs - sounds like you're doing everything right! Good luck! :D :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter