HIFS March 2-6

goofiesgirlies

Mouseketeer
I've been a lurker on this board for about a year and I'm finally going to write my first post! I'm totally a newbie at this so here it goes. First, let me say that this board helped my family (DH, DD (4) and myself) have a terrific first trip to Orlando! Thanks everyone!

As for HIFS we had a great time and I have no qualms about referring anyone to this resort! Especially families with younger children. You will have a wonderful time! So here we go - we were a little nervous about checking in early but decided it couldn't hurt to try. We left Minneapolis at 6:00AM so we were a little tired. Check in was smooth - wait time maybe 10 minutes. The check in person was very nice and helpful.

The hotel itself is huge. As the check in person said, DRIVE to your room - which happened to be opposite of check in. (Room 1447.) She wasn't kidding. Our room faced Intl. Drive but I really can't say we heard much traffic and I'm a light sleeper. We were on the 4th floor which is kind of a pain with the slower elevators but nothing too terrible. The first level I'm guessing would have a lot of foot traffic with the pool next to it.

The room was clean and tidy. We had the "circus" theme and my daughter thought it was fun. The only exception to cleanliness --which was minor-- was in the kids room someone had obviously spilled/splashed pop on a couple of walls. It was never cleaned during the 4 nights we were there. Sheets, extra blankets and pillows were available. I noticed the kids bed did not have a blanket on it? Not sure why? (My daughter slept with us every night so it wasn't a factor!) Plenty of towels and I loved the separate storage area with plenty of room for bathroom supplies.

Food - we went to the breakfast buffet twice and it was adequate. Plenty of food - it can get quite busy but we always managed to find somewhere to sit. My DD and I had one lunch from the A&W (kids eat free with an adult) and it was fine. We also ordered a pizza one night through room service from the Pizza Hut - it was hot and tasty and very welcome at 10:00 p.m. We went to the dinner buffet one evening and I actually thought it was pretty good contrary what I've read on most reports. Granted it is buffet food so you aren't getting top quality but it was decent for the price. They even had PLAIN noodles! (Hopefully some parents out there will understand what I mean - I have a picky eater - no sauce.)

The pool is WONDERFUL! Definitely the highlight for my daughter and I. It has a zero-depth bottom so you don't have to hold your little one the entire time. The bottom of the pool is kind of like a soft corky stuff which is so nice. You don't have to worry about skinned knees or stubbed toes or sand all over the place. Plenty of towels too. A nice little kiddie area with a climbing tunnel, some plastic play houses and small pool. My daughter is a little too young for the putt putt golf but that looked like fun too.

To the main building there is a pathway with a little pond which has a couple of resident swans/ducks that the kids can feed for a quarter. My daughter LOVED that part. At night they also have a cute set of lights out beyond the pond of a train, jumping fish, etc.

Ok, I'm getting kind of long winded. (Sorry) Just wanted to reassure anyone for future travelers to relax you will enjoy this hotel!

Any questions I'll try to make my answers a little shorter! LOL :)

--JN

Hi, always glad to hear that a fellow Minnesotan had a good time at DW.

I am glad you found the HIFS to be a good hotel. It can be hit and miss sometimes, but the location can't be beat.

How were the crowds/did you drive to the parks? Yes, my dd used to like plain noodles, too, LOL.

Herc.

This is so exciting to have a reply to my post! And from a fellow MN too! Wish I was at WDW today versus shoveling out from 12 inches of new snow!

I thought the HIFS was just great for a young family. No, it certainly isn't a 5 star hotel, but had everything we needed for the four nights we were there.

We rented a car so we didn't use their transportation. It was very easy to drive to the parks.

Crowds at the Magic Kingdom were non-existent Sunday, March 3. I know it was because the weather looked like it would be rainy all day. It must have scared the locals and some of the tourists as well. (It never rained until 9:30 p.m.) Temp was 83.

The only other park we did was Sea World on Tuesday. The shows were all packed despite the very cool weather. Monday and Tuesday (March 4 & 5) the highs in Orlando were around 50 with a strong COLD wind! Brrrr. I was wishing I had brought our winter coats and mittens. Of course the day we left it was sunny and in the 70's. Never fails!

--Jn

I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip! We stayed there twice last year and enjoyed it both times. I've suggested HIFS to several friends who also had a good time. Are you planning your next trip yet?!?

Funny you should mention the next trip!! Last night as we listened to the wind howl and watched the snowfall my DH actually mentioned something about going back! Yippee! Now I can start planning again! :D

--JN

Do you have any information about the transportation to the parks if you do not have a car? Do you have to schedule drop-offs, pick-ups, or do the shuttles run at certain time periods of the day? Thanks for the help!

They have a current shuttle schedule on their website, www.hifamilysuites.com
Click on "FREE brochure and area map", scroll down and click on "shuttle schedule". Of course, this can change, depending on the time of year, but this should give you a pretty good idea.

Lori P.

So glad you enjoyed your stay at the HIFS! We loved it when we stayed there in January!
Oh, and also, hope you continue to post on here. Getting out of lurker mode can be a lot of fun. :)

Originally posted by goofiesgirlies
I've been a lurker on this board for about a year and I'm finally going to write my first post! I'm totally a newbie at this so here it goes. First, let me say that this board helped my family (DH, DD (4) and myself) have a terrific first trip to Orlando! Thanks everyone!

As for HIFS we had a great time and I have no qualms about referring anyone to this resort! Especially families with younger children. You will have a wonderful time! So here we go - we were a little nervous about checking in early but decided it couldn't hurt to try. We left Minneapolis at 6:00AM so we were a little tired. Check in was smooth - wait time maybe 10 minutes. The check in person was very nice and helpful.

The hotel itself is huge. As the check in person said, DRIVE to your room - which happened to be opposite of check in. (Room 1447.) She wasn't kidding. Our room faced Intl. Drive but I really can't say we heard much traffic and I'm a light sleeper. We were on the 4th floor which is kind of a pain with the slower elevators but nothing too terrible. The first level I'm guessing would have a lot of foot traffic with the pool next to it.

The room was clean and tidy. We had the "circus" theme and my daughter thought it was fun. The only exception to cleanliness --which was minor-- was in the kids room someone had obviously spilled/splashed pop on a couple of walls. It was never cleaned during the 4 nights we were there. Sheets, extra blankets and pillows were available. I noticed the kids bed did not have a blanket on it? Not sure why? (My daughter slept with us every night so it wasn't a factor!) Plenty of towels and I loved the separate storage area with plenty of room for bathroom supplies.

Food - we went to the breakfast buffet twice and it was adequate. Plenty of food - it can get quite busy but we always managed to find somewhere to sit. My DD and I had one lunch from the A&W (kids eat free with an adult) and it was fine. We also ordered a pizza one night through room service from the Pizza Hut - it was hot and tasty and very welcome at 10:00 p.m. We went to the dinner buffet one evening and I actually thought it was pretty good contrary what I've read on most reports. Granted it is buffet food so you aren't getting top quality but it was decent for the price. They even had PLAIN noodles! (Hopefully some parents out there will understand what I mean - I have a picky eater - no sauce.)

The pool is WONDERFUL! Definitely the highlight for my daughter and I. It has a zero-depth bottom so you don't have to hold your little one the entire time. The bottom of the pool is kind of like a soft corky stuff which is so nice. You don't have to worry about skinned knees or stubbed toes or sand all over the place. Plenty of towels too. A nice little kiddie area with a climbing tunnel, some plastic play houses and small pool. My daughter is a little too young for the putt putt golf but that looked like fun too.

To the main building there is a pathway with a little pond which has a couple of resident swans/ducks that the kids can feed for a quarter. My daughter LOVED that part. At night they also have a cute set of lights out beyond the pond of a train, jumping fish, etc.

Ok, I'm getting kind of long winded. (Sorry) Just wanted to reassure anyone for future travelers to relax you will enjoy this hotel!

Any questions I'll try to make my answers a little shorter! LOL :)

--JN
WOW, I found your post very helpful! My DH and our two sons are planning our FIRST Disney vacation for July, 2003. The boys will be 5 1/2 and 9 when we go. I JUST stumbled upon the HIFS website a day or two ago and was pretty much sold on it (Kidsuites,etc)
Reading your post with all of the wonderful details confirmed my decision.
Sincerest thanks :D

Minivanmomof2,

So glad I could help! These boards were so helpful for our first trip. I know you will enjoy your time at the HIFS.

Have fun planning! The boys will be at a perfect age to enjoy everything!

--Judy

Originally posted by goofiesgirlies
Minivanmomof2,

So glad I could help! These boards were so helpful for our first trip. I know you will enjoy your time at the HIFS.

Have fun planning! The boys will be at a perfect age to enjoy everything!

--Judy
Thanks Judy! :D
I have already learned so much just from reading everyone's posts/suggestions. Bewing a WDW newbie I am finding this VERY HELPFUL! (I'll take all the help I can get) LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter