HHN 28 Weekend-Completed 11/10

Discussion in 'Universal Studios Trip Reports' started by Raeven, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Raeven

Raeven DIS Veteran

For those of you who haven't read one of our trip reports before
    :welcome:

My name is Raeven! :wave2:

[​IMG]

I'm 26, work as an administrator at a furniture store, and I'm the planner, photographer, and TR writer for our trips. I love Halloween Horror Nights, horror movies (especially horror comedies), being a Slytherin, beating Josh at Men In Black...

...Oh yeah and Killer Klowns from Outerspace :rotfl:

[​IMG]

This is my trip partner and boyfriend of 5 years, Josh:

[​IMG]

He's 32 and works for the Highway Department. Halloween Horror Nights is definitely one of his favorite things that we do on our trips. He also likes giant gluten free burgers, horror movies, and losing to me at Men In Black :P

We were also joined by @amalone1013 & her husband for 2 of our HHN nights & brunch one day which was a lot of fun.

[​IMG]

This was our 4rd HHN, and after only going for a long weekend last year (due to the hurricane), we decided to do a long weekend again this year (but to add an extra day). So we went from Friday the 14th-Monday the 17th, and decided to do HHN more times than ever before (3 nights). We loved HHN this year, and in our opinion it was one of our favorite years since HHN25, even if the weather was gross and I got a little sick near the end of the trip, but no blisters this time!

[​IMG]

Originally we had planned a dash of Disney into our trip like last year (which is why we booked the Dolphin at a nonrefundable rate on Hotwire), but we ended up opting to spend more time at HHN, and didn't really get to the Disney parks.

I know it might seem crazy to some from the Disney boards (although I know quite a few of you on this board only go to Universal), but I do think we'll be taking a break from Disney, and we won't be renewing our AP's next year. There's a couple reasons, but ultimately we've just gotten kind of sick of it; and it's a pretty expensive thing to do if you're not into it. We had been talking about it, but being there recently kind of confirmed it. We briefly stopped in Epcot for Food & Wine, but we really didn't find ourselves wanting to go to the parks at all. We're still planning to keep going to Universal though, and next year we're hoping to do HHN on both coasts! But we're also going to start traveling to new places in Orlando and beyond (which I'll still share with you all on the appropriate boards).

[​IMG]

Stay tuned if you want to hear:
    • Crazy Uber stories
    • Sweaty waiting in line stories
    • All about the opening weekend of HHN 28
    • Some small food reviews
    • About our day at Discovery Cove
    • A review of our room at the Dolphin
    • Our HHN 28 rankings
    • & me gushing over the KKFOS scare zone
    [​IMG]

So in the past we've posted vlogs during our trips, and last trip we didn't get a ton of footage every day. But I did want to get some vlog footage to remember HHN by, and we did get quite a bit the first two nights. However we didn't do as much the last 2 days so I only have footage from those first two days. I probably have to film a little bit of us talking about the HHN houses to wrap it up, but I'll definitely share what I have.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    wdwnut61, xlsm, DLo and 5 others like this.
  2. Raeven

Raeven DIS Veteran

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. MeghanEmily

MeghanEmily DIS Veteran

Here!!

Woooh, no blisters!! This is a definitely improvement over last time.

I think that's a great idea! New experiences are always good options. And there's definitely no shame taking a break from Disney with how much you've gone the last few years. Maybe if you take some time off, you'll want to go back again eventually in future and enjoy it all the more because of the wait.

Raeven likes this.
  5. schumigirl

schumigirl It's a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts

Looking forward to reading this one Raeven.......always enjoy your reports a lot!!

Sounds like fun..........

Raeven likes this.
  6. macraven

macraven Proud Redhead Moderator

You smile in all your pictures and that is a nice thing to do.

anxious to read what you plan to share with us for this trip.

Raeven likes this.
  7. StarWarsMomofGirls!

StarWarsMomofGirls! DIS Veteran

I'm here! Can't wait to hear all about it even though all the things you posted were giving me nightmares. ;)

Raeven likes this.
  8. pattyw

pattyw DIS Veteran

Can't wait to hear all about your trip!!

Raeven likes this.
  9. Lesley Wake

Lesley Wake May the force be with you!

:wave:

Raeven likes this.
  10. pepperandchips

pepperandchips [melinda]

Yay! I'm here :hyper:

Raeven likes this.
  11. disneyAndi14

disneyAndi14 DIS Veteran

I’m here! I just watched some YouTube videos of the houses and they look so good this year! Excited to hear all about it!

Raeven likes this.
  12. DLo

DLo DIS Veteran

Following along. Went to Universsl for the first time in May and already have quick two and a half day trip planned for Nov. Usually, I couldn’t imagine being in Orlando and not going to Disney but chose Universal this time. I am so glad my brother invited,e to join their trip . I am still wondering what took me so long to try the Universsl parks ! ( I am blaming my non thrill riding kids : ) )

Raeven likes this.
  13. buteraa

buteraa Mouseketeer

Looking forward to another trip report.

Raeven likes this.
  14. schumigirl

schumigirl It's a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts

Will look forward to reading this one too Raeven.......

Might be when I get home........:)

Raeven likes this.
  15. shh

shh DIS Veteran

Count me in...always enjoy reading your TRs. :yay:
    Especially HHN, as we're going next month.
    The craziness that was opening night was all over FB - hope it wasn't too bad for you.:scared:

Raeven likes this.
  16. KarenMG

KarenMG Earning My Ears

I'm not into the scary, but sounds like y'all had a great time! I love Disney, but totally get wanting to do other things. That's why our next trip won't be until 2021, for the 50th anniversary celebrations.

Raeven likes this.
  17. Raeven

Raeven DIS Veteran

Yes such an improvement! Although I did have to swap shoes at some inconvenient times :rotfl:

Aw thank you!

:wave2: :rotfl:

Thanks for following along!

Yay! :hyper:

Omg the houses were amazing this year!

Thanks for following, and I know you're in the middle of a trip so I don't blame you if you don't get on the boards a lot enjoy yourselves!

Thanks for following along! Yes, opening night was the craziest I'd ever seen it! But we didn't plan to do a ton on opening night so it worked out for us, but it was so much busier than last year.

Yes we love HHN! Ooo the 50th anniversary that'll be a good trip :thumbsup2

18. jeanelle

jeanelle Mouseketeer

Following! Sounds like you had a great trip.

Raeven likes this.
  19. amalone1013

amalone1013 DIS Veteran

Again...

Feeling Famous because I'm on your TR :smooth:

Raeven likes this.
  20. Raeven

Raeven DIS Veteran

:cool1:

21. Raeven

Raeven DIS Veteran

Scary Tales
    September 14th, Part 1

(I'm going to try something new, and try to name each section of this after one of the HHN houses. Although I might not get to them all because I don't know if this will have 10 parts).

Usually I start our trip reports the day before the trip actually starts, but for this trip I spent the night before wondering if our flight would go as scheduled. With reports of the hurricane heading towards the U.S., I was actually nervous about it the entire week before, and had come up with a backup plan in case we had to reschedule. (Because I don't get a lot of time off work, and couldn't really move around the days this was not a great plan). Neither our airport or MCO was in the path of the storm, but we do fly over that area usually. I was concerned about their re-routing especially because Southwest was being pretty vague whenever people asked them about certain flights taking off (even if those flights were states away from the hurricane). The night before I was still a little worried, but no flights had been canceled from our airport leading up to our departure so I thought that looked good. Plus I had stalked our plane on FlightAware to make sure it was at the airport :rotfl:

tenor.gif

(
    And I know most of you aren't thinking this, but for anyone who thinks that's not a significant thing to worry about since we weren't in the path of the hurricane. I know me having to reschedule a vacation is in no way a terrible thing compared to what the people in the path of the hurricane were going through, but we love HHN & I don't get a lot of vacation time so I was anxious about our trip).

I didn't get a lot of sleep the night before, maybe 2 hours before we had to get up again? :rotfl: We got up around 3:30 am, and headed to the airport around 5 am.

giphy.gif

[​IMG]

The lines for everything were really short. For the first time I think we walked straight through security. Our flight was boarding at 6:30 am, so we had some time for breakfast.

We went to Starbucks where I got a Pink Drink & a bacon, cheddar, and egg croissant sandwich:

[​IMG]

The last time I had this sandwich in December maybe was when they replaced the gouda sandwich with this. The gouda sandwich was really delicious and this was terrible! :crazy2: But when I went this time it was the only choice so I got it again, and this one was actually a lot better. The bacon wasn't hammy, the croissant was flaky and warm, and the sandwich tasted fine.

We also saw Josh's friend and his wife at the airport. We went to their wedding last year (if you remember from one of my PTRs). Anyway they were going to Disney for her birthday so we talked to them for a bit.

When we lined up for boarding the weirdest thing happened. Southwest boards by number, and we always purchase the Early Bird Check In so we have a relatively early boarding, but for some reason people were not really lined up in any order at the gate, and when they started the actual boarding everyone from the first group just ran forward :confused: I'm pretty sure the people in front of us weren't in any order at all, and I actually think we got on too soon for what our numbers were. I've never seen people board so totally out of order like that, and no one complain.

giphy (1).gif
    (It would be way cuter if a bunch of baby penguins with hats and briefcases had rushed onto the plane, but no such luck).

As weird as that was the flight was relatively smooth and uneventful. I finished reading "Hidden Bodies" which if you're watching the Lifetime series "You", this is the second book in the series which will be the second season. (Btw I think the first book was much better, and the show is nailing how creepy the guy is so far).

[​IMG]

To answer all the people in my life that asked me this before we boarded the plane & all the people that asked this on the plane....no we could not see the hurricane from the plane. :rotfl:

giphy-1-48.gif

We had arrived at MCO!

[​IMG]

Our bag was one of the first out, and then we Ubered over to the Dolphin. It was probably a mistake to book the Dolphin for a nonrefundable fee all weekend. At the time I booked it we were going to do TSL one morning, F&W multiple days, and brunch one morning on top of HHN so it made sense. But after everything was booked we nixed some of those plans so it would've made more sense to stay on property at Universal, but since we were already locked into this room and the rate wasn't bad we had to stick with it. I was disappointed at the desk to find out they didn't have any king rooms available. (They said I only booked a king room for one of the days, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case). They said they'd upgrade the view (which I have a feeling they were doing for everyone who had booked a king since I overheard them give one to the guy next to us too).

giphy (2).gif

So here's our double bed room:

[​IMG]
    (Take a look at Josh's shirt everyone loved it at HHN :rotfl:)

The double beds were really too small in my opinion. We made due, but I felt like there was barely enough room for us both. Our bed at home is a full size, and that's more than enough, but this really wasn't. We also had trouble with the TV (it would randomly mute, there was nowhere to plug in the Firestick, and the channel selection was really small), the shower (the water took like 5 mins to get warm and even the hottest setting wasn't "hot"), the bathroom also had the most unfavorable lighting in the world.

GDG0.gif
    (“Did I walk into the bathroom at the Dolphin?” Is what she meant to say).

Overall the room was okay, and it wasn't a terrible experience, but we aren't really looking forward to staying there again. (We booked a nonrefundable rate for 3 days in Dec so we will be soon).

This is the upgraded view:

[​IMG]

It was nice, but then I noticed every room around ours had a balcony except for us :rotfl:

Time to head over to Universal! We Ubered over to the Hard Rock so we could walk to Citywalk.

[​IMG]

Then we decided to have lunch at Cowfish! It was crowded so we were seated at the bar.
    Josh got his typical order which he loves.

The Cowfish Has Officially Left The Building-Full-pound beef burger, creamy peanut butter, fried bananas, applewood bacon, brioche GF bun

[​IMG]

I got the same burger I had before HHN last year, and this is still my favorite on the menu:

The Boursin Bacon Burger-Beef burger, garlic & herb boursin cheese, applewood bacon, sautéed mushrooms, grilled onions, lettuce, tomato, onion roll

[​IMG]

After lunch we headed over to Universal Studios!

[​IMG]

There's something so exciting about seeing the HHN signage.

[​IMG]

We had a hard time printing out our HHN tickets and EP's so we had to wait in line at Guest Services for awhile since the kiosks were refusing to recognize I had purchased tickets, but it was all sorted out quickly enough.

Here's some of the decorations on the way in:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was very excited for this scarezone:

[​IMG]

Continued in next post

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    xlsm, DLo, MeghanEmily and 2 others like this.