HHI - Making Room Requests

WolfpackFan

Retired and loving every minute of it!!
If you've noticed my live TR, we are down at HH right now. We are staying in a Studio and had requested a water view in the Live Oak Lodge. As I posted in my TR we got bldg. 16 with a tree view. Kind of disappointed but I know it's the luck of the draw.

My question for the group is - how hard do you think CM's work to fill specific room requests? Do they actually look at what you tell MS? Next year we plan on getting a 2BR so we can bring DS36 with us. I would love to get a water view plus be near the smoking areas (DS smokes unfortunately). I walked around this morning and made a list of the buildings that would be perfect. I guess I thought that when I make my ressie I'd give MS that list of building numbers?

But am I wasting my time doing this? Is there anything else I can do to increase my chances of getting the building I want? What if I called or faxed the resort the week before we check in? I don't want to annoy the CM's as this might work in reverse though.

Any suggestion? Any discussion?

Either we've had wonderful luck, or they do notice your requests. :goodvibes

We've gotten the areas we've asked for at SSR, THV, AKV and HHI in the past few years. I do think online check in helps, as your rooms are set early even if you arrive late. I've never requested specific rooms,tho- just areas, top floor and/or views. For THV I put 3 or 4 villa #s that were all in the same area.

HHI--we were just in Bldg 22, top floor. Lovely!

We were at HHI 3 weeks ago. I called MS the week before and requested a 2nd floor marsh view. When we got there the CM who checked us in mentioned it to us and offered a marsh view on the 1st floor on the spot. We said that if possible, we'd like to wait for a 2nd floor to open up, which it did 3 hours later (by then it was 5pm.) So we got what we wanted by waiting.

Same thing with Kidani last year (near lobby request) and the year before that with SSR (Springs). Maybe we've just been lucky. :confused3

You know when we got the text on Sunday that our tree view room was ready, I thought about stopping by the lobby to see if we were willing to wait longer could we get a water view. I guess that is what we need to do next year.

HHI is unique in that there are very few 1BR and studios on the property - makes getting the exact view/building you want less likely. I would think you would have much better luck next year when you are in a 2BR. Good luck!

Since the topic is on room requests at Hilton Head, what would you recommend for a 2br - first floor? We have never been there and would like a relaxing 3 night stay.

Thanks!

You know when we got the text on Sunday that our tree view room was ready, I thought about stopping by the lobby to see if we were willing to wait longer could we get a water view. I guess that is what we need to do next year.

We did that last year, and we were so glad we did. I remember that you'd requested Live Oak Lodge and got one of the 5 buildings instead. That kinda scared me-DH LOVES to be in the Live Oak Lodge, that and top floor are our two requests, and we've always at least gotten the Lodge (or the attached Building 12). One time the CM on the front desk had us on the first floor of Building 12, and she insisted that the first floor WAS the top floor. We had her check with a supervisor and came back, saying we could get top floor if we waited. Coincidently, the one we ended up with was a 1 BR we've had several times and always enjoy-we've been kidding about getting a plaque for "our" villa.

Wolfpackfan - is water view the same as marsh view at HH?

Yes, Diz. The only water is the marsh. The HHI resort is not directly on the ocean--only the beach house is. I wasn't sure how I was going to like that, but the marsh is very pretty and tranquil.

Yes, there is and the water rises and recedes with the tides. Some report seeing dolphins there (we only saw some from the beach--very cool!). There are tons--and I mean TONS of crabs in the marsh (and all over the island). You can buy a net and go "crabbing" off the pier that extends into the marsh. We've seen a variety of birds as well.

Since the topic is on room requests at Hilton Head, what would you recommend for a 2br - first floor? We have never been there and would like a relaxing 3 night stay.

Thanks!

We have only stayed at HHI once - and did NOT KNOW that we should ask for the TOP floor. OMG. We HATED being on the first floor. The buildings are constructed of wood and there is little if NO insulation between the floors. You will hear EVERY step the people above you make.:headache: And if they are LITTLE feet that tend to RUN everywhere they go you will feel like you are at the Kentucky Derby less the Mint Juleps. The front desk will not do anything about the tiny little feet running at full gallop UNLESS it is outside of "quiet hours" which are like before 8:00 and after 11:00 I think. You will also hear their shoes come off. Slippers come off. Pins & pens drop. Suitcases being moved around. Shopping bags crinkle. Sneezes. Snores. Coughs. :sad2: Unless you are used to living in a stable the noise factor on the first floor can be truely annoying.

That sounds so cool! I can't wait to go. I'll be sure to take the good camera, too.

Is there any wildlife in the marsh?

We're ones that have seen dolphins several times in the marsh. We've seen them out past the fishing pier, once right behind Live Oak Lodge (only a couple feet offshore splashing around, swimming around in that area, and playing among the boats over in the marina.

We're ones that have seen dolphins several times in the marsh. We've seen them out past the fishing pier, once right behind Live Oak Lodge (only a couple feet offshore splashing around, swimming around in that area, and playing among the boats over in the marina.

What fun! Do you happen to know if that is year round or seasonal? We'll be going in January and expect dolphins might think that's pretty cold.

What fun! Do you happen to know if that is year round or seasonal? We'll be going in January and expect dolphins might think that's pretty cold.

We saw them at Thanksgiving, and it was pretty cold them. Also, somewhere I remember a couple who got married at the resort in January-they had a blog with pictures (I just remember the name Tommy). They saw Dolphins in the marsh when they were there.

We didn'g see dolphins, but then we weren't out on the porch a lot. There are some pretty birds-plus one large crane (egret?) sits on the pier and steals chicken from unsuspecting crabbers. (DH) Frogs-even saw them on our windows. And the TINIEST crabs you've ever seen. Tons of them scuttling around when the tide is low.

We have only stayed at HHI once - and did NOT KNOW that we should ask for the TOP floor. OMG. We HATED being on the first floor. The buildings are constructed of wood and there is little if NO insulation between the floors. You will hear EVERY step the people above you make.:headache: And if they are LITTLE feet that tend to RUN everywhere they go you will feel like you are at the Kentucky Derby less the Mint Juleps. The front desk will not do anything about the tiny little feet running at full gallop UNLESS it is outside of "quiet hours" which are like before 8:00 and after 11:00 I think. You will also hear their shoes come off. Slippers come off. Pins & pens drop. Suitcases being moved around. Shopping bags crinkle. Sneezes. Snores. Coughs. :sad2: Unless you are used to living in a stable the noise factor on the first floor can be truely annoying.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely go for the top floor.

Should I make the request now (11 months out), or just wait for 10 days prior while I am doing my online check-in?

I think they do try to honor requests there.

This year, I didn't get my request, but I think it's because I had 3 rooms ( GV, studio and 2bdrm) reserved and they worked very hard to keep us all in the same area. We were all in building 19. Which is a pine tree view.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter