HH beach, sand dollars, and poachers

BWVDenise

I believe in something, I just don't know what it
We noticed on the sign behind the lifeguard that they didn't want people to mess with the sand dollars. So we didn't. But we did see several people "stealing" them. The life guard told my dh that there was a $500 fine for taking them and we saw one guy loading his pockets and then walking ever-so-casually back to his chair to unload. Another lady walked up with her hand turned to hide them. I was wondering, what do these people do with them?:confused:

Sounds like a good time to have a camera and include a shot of the person's license plate. Seems like that would be a worthwhile deterent. Hate to hear of people destroying beach areas.

I would like to know more about this.

What size are they?

Do you mean the ones from the ocean or are you talking about some decorative ones? I've never been able to find one on numerous trips to Florida.

Do you know if this is illegal anywhere else?

The only thing that bugs me about shelling/etc. in Florida is the people that carry a load of conch or other shells up to the beach to take home and they don't bother to check and see if there is something living inside and then they set it on their lounge chair until the critter dies.

Isn't the middle part of the sand dollar a live creature?

It's fine to collect the white sand dollars that are washed up in the beach. The live ones (they are light green and feel sort of furry) are NOT all right to collect. These are found in the ocean- you may even step on them without knowing.

The small ones can be the size of a dime and some will be 5-6" in diameter (or occasionally larger).

If you take a ferry to Dafuskie Island from HHm you will likely find many shells and sand dollars- they are plentiful on the beach there.

I noticed the same note on the lifeguard sign at HH this week and asked about the meaning of the sand dollar comment as I've never found any on the beach at Palmetto Dunes. Chef Gordon provided the info about Dafuskie Island.'

Enjoy!

Last April we found two sand dollars at Palmetta Dunes beach area--one live, one dead. Kept the dead one, left the live one, which indeed was sand colored and furry. Didn't notice the sign.

Originally posted by Debby7
Last April we found two sand dollars at Palmetta Dunes beach area--one live, one dead. Kept the dead one, left the live one, which indeed was sand colored and furry. Didn't notice the sign.

The sign was hand written on the slate board on the lifeguard stand on the Beachouse beach. I checked other life guard stations and no others had a similar warning- which is the reason I asked Gordon for the information.

This is also sea turtle nesting season. It is definitely illegal to disturb a nest or a turtle. HH has had some problems with people bothering the nests and has decided to downplay the presence of the turtles (no Turtle Watch programs or marked nests like at VB). They do have turtle watchers observing any activity around the nests, but these watchers will even cover the tell-tale tracks in the sand to disguise the evidence of the nest.

The nest locations are still noted and dated for conservation officials to be aware of hatching dates, but otherwise the nests are not obvious at all.

Too bad, but understandable if there has been a problem with vandals (they have enough trouble with raccoons- let alone having to worry about humans too!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!