We have taken our kids to WDW many times since 2009. We had our daughter and one of her friends with us in April during Spring Break. We had far less hoops to jump through this year with Genie Plus than we ever had with the old legacy system or even FP+ and we were able to ride way more rides without any waiting than during any previous trip. I had warned my wife and daughter that with the new systems in place we may not get to ride as much as we did in the past and that this would probably be our last WDW trip for MANY years. Well, after our MK day and our DHS days spent riding back to back to back rides all day, they just laughed at me and said I was being dramatic with my doom and gloom predictions.

Now, obviously Disney has gotten much more expensive. Every person and/or family has to look at the price and make that decision if it's a good value for them. Going to WDW has always been expensive. I grew up in the 80's and 90's in a middle class family and my parents couldn't afford to take us to WDW. Out of all the people I went to school with in PA, only 1 or 2 families I knew could afford to go to WDW. It's always been expensive and unfortunately it seems like everything has gotten much more expensive everywhere the last few years. A house that we rented on the Outer Banks of NC for $3000 a week in 2008 was $6000 a week in 2018 and this summer it was almost $12,000 for the same week. We didn't book it this year because of the cost but I looked at the availability calendar and it's booked the whole summer with a couple of weeks costing nearly $15,000. Somehow people are paying these crazy prices and since people are paying them, the reality companies at the beach and the execs at Disney are going to keep raising the prices.
I was in the same boat in the 80's. No way could we afford a Disney trip. Also, we lived in Michigan but my parents grew up in Wisconsin and Minnesota so ALL of our vacation time was driving to see family. It's just how it was back then. The ONE family vacation we did as kids was camping through the Black hills area and around Yellowstone. It was amazing.

Yeah, one thing I need to remind myself about Disney in the 80's is that there were only two parks all the way until '89 when MGM opened. Not as many kids went because it wasn't the "world" it is now with the 4 parks and many more resorts.

You're right about costs. Our cruises (non Disney) tend to only be a little less costly than Disney, but not by much. About the same per diem actually. Regardless, both are very expensive, but of the two, Disney has been increasing at a MUCH faster pace.

Dan

We have taken our kids to WDW many times since 2009. We had our daughter and one of her friends with us in April during Spring Break. We had far less hoops to jump through this year with Genie Plus than we ever had with the old legacy system or even FP+ and we were able to ride way more rides without any waiting than during any previous trip. I had warned my wife and daughter that with the new systems in place we may not get to ride as much as we did in the past and that this would probably be our last WDW trip for MANY years. Well, after our MK day and our DHS days spent riding back to back to back rides all day, they just laughed at me and said I was being dramatic with my doom and gloom predictions.

Now, obviously Disney has gotten much more expensive. Every person and/or family has to look at the price and make that decision if it's a good value for them. Going to WDW has always been expensive. I grew up in the 80's and 90's in a middle class family and my parents couldn't afford to take us to WDW. Out of all the people I went to school with in PA, only 1 or 2 families I knew could afford to go to WDW. It's always been expensive and unfortunately it seems like everything has gotten much more expensive everywhere the last few years. A house that we rented on the Outer Banks of NC for $3000 a week in 2008 was $6000 a week in 2018 and this summer it was almost $12,000 for the same week. We didn't book it this year because of the cost but I looked at the availability calendar and it's booked the whole summer with a couple of weeks costing nearly $15,000. Somehow people are paying these crazy prices and since people are paying them, the reality companies at the beach and the execs at Disney are going to keep raising the prices.
Totally agree- Disney is most definitely a luxury item. It’s always been this way. But I can’t help but feel charging us to actually have a decent day in the parks that we’ve spent hundreds to even enter is going too far. Hotels are up, food is up, I get it. Yes families have to weigh out what they can do but come on, I have to shell out another $100 per day so that we have a shot at getting on rides? It’s too much and feels like a shoulder shrug. So what loyal customer; everyone is raising prices so we will too. Especially when they don’t have to do it.

I definitely understand. This next trip in December will be our 12 or so Disney Trip. I love the ambiance, magical memories of Disney but I fear from what I read and what I see on You Tube that we will be disappointed. So my take is going to be this. I am staying at my favorite report YC CL with WV. I love the pool so that won’t change. If Genie plus gets me crazy then I am going to enjoy the Christmas decorations, Christmas party at MK and Candlelight Procession and the Holiday goodies at Epcot.
If we get on the rides we want great if not then I have the rest to fall back on. But I am promising myself that I am not going to get crazy if it does not work out because of the management money grab. I feel bad for the parents and children who dish out all this money and have to go through hoops to have a good time. I’m older so I have done that when Disney times were better suited for the guest and cast members. I hope things turn around but the CEO just said that they will raise prices if needed. Awful.
I’m no economic genius but am I missing something? Are the new attractions and hotels causing the money grabs to be super blatant? I’m desperately trying to give Disney the benefit of the doubt. Why would the CEO entertain raising prices even more?

I’m no economic genius but am I missing something? Are the new attractions and hotels causing the money grabs to be super blatant? I’m desperately trying to give Disney the benefit of the doubt. Why would the CEO entertain raising prices even more?
I saw a pretty good analysis on this the other day.

But basically the parks are to crowded as it is, the only fix at the moment is higher prices, and pricing people out.

If they lowered prices more people would go, and more people would be disappointed because the parks and hotels are packed.

I don’t necessarily agree with this 100%. But the concept is pretty on par with macro economics.

The current environment is showing price is to low, if you raise prices demand goes down, and in this case theoretically they make the same amount of money.

My crew- 2 adults, 3 teens. POR from 8/4-8/7 and YC from 8/7-8/16. 8 park days- 1 AK, 2 HS, 2 MK, 3 EP. We had G+ every day, used ILL every day, and rope dropped every day by arriving 30-60 minutes before each early entry time. We also had MK extended evenings 1 time and 2 times at EP.

This post is not pro nor anti G+ or ILL. This is just to report what happened to us.

The combination of strategic planning, luck, single rider line, G+, ILL, and Early Entry allowed us to ride literally everything we wanted to with extremely low waits. We waited 0-15 minutes per ride, the only exception being Guardian's virtual queue, we did 3 virtual queues, with waits of 60, 45, 40.

Before I begin, we got incredibly lucky this trip with the weather, it rained every day, but we were either eating a meal, napping, at a show, or doing something else indoors, we got wet from rain once and dealt with no closures for rain/lighting either, again, there were closures but none that impacted us whatsoever, pure luck!

The basic plan was very simple:

1. Wake at 6:45
2. Use G+ to book headliner ride
3. Use G+ to book a ILL (FOP, 7DMT, ROTR, Guardians)
4. Immediately go to the park
5. At early entry rope drop ride headliner of our choice
6. Do headliner rides in order of importance until
7. Early entry time expires, then go to higher capacity lower wait shows and rides until 5 minutes before first LL return time
8. At 5 minutes before the return time opens, tap into first LL, sometimes second tap point, then
9. Immediately book the next LL for a ride with a close return window, 0-30 minutes away.
10. Repeat steps 8-9, until return windows start to push out further, then I'd start stacking for late afternoon and evening.
11. Use our ILL during the return window we selected.

Using this method, we'd routinely hit 2, sometimes 3 rides in the 30 minutes of Early Entry and then use G+ to get LL for 2-7 rides throughout the day. We maxed out at 7 LL in MK. Sometimes, we'd skip hundred of people at something like Splash, other times, it was 40 people at Carpets, all told, using G+ saved us hours and hours. We'd use our ILL within the return window we selected.

Single rider allowed us to re-ride Everest, RNR, MFSR, Test Track multiple times. My kids rode Everest 6 times in a row, crazy.

Rope dropping allowed us to ride the headliners at least twice, once at rope drop in the standby line and once with ILL. We did Guardians 6 times-3 virtual queue, and 3 ILL. ROTR 4 times- 2 rope drop standby, 2 ILL. FOP twice-1 rope drop standby, 1 ILL. 7DMT 4 times-2 rope drop standby, 2 ILL.

Extended evening hours did little to nothing for us, by the time the extended evening hours came, we had already gone on everything we wanted, and waking at 6:45 made getting the most out of evening hours very difficult.

While I hate paying all that extra money for G+ and ILL, it really made touring the parks a breeze. We ended up with hours and hours of free time out of lines, we used this time for extra pool time, re-riding, and exploring the parks in-depth.

The one big-time thing that we did not plan for was the fact that no waiting means more walking, we were on the move more than ever. For example, we walked from 7DMT, to BTMRR, to Splash, to Pirates, to Space, to Dumbo in what felt like a blink of the eye. We topped over 125 miles walked for the entire trip. I had blisters on 6 toes and my knees ached, I loved it.

Any questions? I'm happy to help.

I saw a pretty good analysis on this the other day.

But basically the parks are to crowded as it is, the only fix at the moment is higher prices, and pricing people out.

If they lowered prices more people would go, and more people would be disappointed because the parks and hotels are packed.

I don’t necessarily agree with this 100%. But the concept is pretty on par with macro economics.

The current environment is showing price is to low, if you raise prices demand goes down, and in this case theoretically they make the same amount of money.
Oh my goodness…is this really the reason? And yet we keep coming ha!! It’s not working very well!

Oh my goodness…is this really the reason? And yet we keep coming ha!! It’s not working very well!
I mean we have all proven it’s not really working, they keep making it more money and we keep going.

5th gate maybe would help but I don’t think that’s happening, and frankly even if it was it’s years away. So until more people reach the breaking point, I don’t expect prices to stop rising.

My crew- 2 adults, 3 teens. POR from 8/4-8/7 and YC from 8/7-8/16. 8 park days- 1 AK, 2 HS, 2 MK, 3 EP. We had G+ every day, used ILL every day, and rope dropped every day by arriving 30-60 minutes before each early entry time. We also had MK extended evenings 1 time and 2 times at EP.

This post is not pro nor anti G+ or ILL. This is just to report what happened to us.

The combination of strategic planning, luck, single rider line, G+, ILL, and Early Entry allowed us to ride literally everything we wanted to with extremely low waits. We waited 0-15 minutes per ride, the only exception being Guardian's virtual queue, we did 3 virtual queues, with waits of 60, 45, 40.

Before I begin, we got incredibly lucky this trip with the weather, it rained every day, but we were either eating a meal, napping, at a show, or doing something else indoors, we got wet from rain once and dealt with no closures for rain/lighting either, again, there were closures but none that impacted us whatsoever, pure luck!

7. Early entry time expires, then go to higher capacity lower wait shows and rides until 5 minutes before first LL return time
8. At 5 minutes before the return time opens, tap into first LL, sometimes second tap point, then
9. Immediately book the next LL for a ride with a close return window, 0-30 minutes away.
10. Repeat steps 8-9, until return windows start to push out further, then I'd start stacking for late afternoon and evening.

Using this method, we'd routinely hit 2, sometimes 3 rides in the 30 minutes of Early Entry and then use G+ to get LL for 2-7 rides throughout the day. We maxed out at 7 LL in MK. Sometimes, we'd skip hundred of people at something like Splash, other times, it was 40 people at Carpets, all told, using G+ saved us hours and hours. We'd use our ILL within the return window we selected.

Single rider allowed us to re-ride Everest, RNR, MFSR, Test Track multiple times. My kids rode Everest 6 times in a row, crazy.

Rope dropping allowed us to ride the headliners at least twice, once at rope drop in the standby line and once with ILL. We did Guardians 6 times-3 virtual queue, and 3 ILL. ROTR 4 times- 2 rope drop standby, 2 ILL. FOP twice-1 rope drop standby, 1 ILL. 7DMT 4 times-2 rope drop standby, 2 ILL.

Extended evening hours did little to nothing for us, by the time the extended evening hours came, we had already gone on everything we wanted, and waking at 6:45 made getting the most out of evening hours very difficult.

While I hate paying all that extra money for G+ and ILL, it really made touring the parks a breeze. We ended up with hours and hours of free time out of lines, we used this time for extra pool time, re-riding, and exploring the parks in-depth.

The one big-time thing that we did not plan for was the fact that no waiting means more walking, we were on the move more than ever. For example, we walked from 7DMT, to BTMRR, to Splash, to Pirates, to Space, to Dumbo in what felt like a blink of the eye. We topped over 125 miles walked for the entire trip. I had blisters on 6 toes and my knees ached, I loved it.

It's incredible your luck with the rain! Great that all the planning worked to your advantage too! I'm happy to read of your positive experience.

But I got anxiety reading all the things you had to do to get to your next ride/attraction. Head down, phone on I assume! I'm not a "younger" guest. I hate change and honestly the entire G+ and ILL keep me from committing to another WDW vacation.

It's incredible your luck with the rain! Great that all the planning worked to your advantage too! I'm happy to read of your positive experience.

But I got anxiety reading all the things you had to do to get to your next ride/attraction. Head down, phone on I assume! I'm not a "younger" guest. I hate change and honestly the entire G+ and ILL keep me from committing to another WDW vacation.
I know it sounds like a lot but, it was literally 10-15 minutes in the morning and then 2 minutes each time your booking window opens up. Once you get the hang of it, it’s super easy.

Looks like you were there 12 nights with 8 park days, which helps me understand how you were able to get up so early every park day. No way we could keep up that pace how we do it which is a park each day, despite being healthy and able.

Sounds like a fully fulfilled trip!

Dan

Excellent plan and execution!! We are going in early September and will follow your plan. It all makes sense especially the stacking after r return times get later. We always commando in morning and leave when park gets really busy so that will work well for us. One question. You say you picked one headliner for your first G+ selection. What were some of the return times? If they were later in morning it would impact this approach in terms of the second G+ selection.

Omg I was exhausted just reading the trip report lol. Those commando days are long gone for us. I want to relax and just Take It All In on park days. It’s been 3 years and our first trip back. I don’t want to be looking at a phone continually or trying to finagle rides. I think we ll be doing a bit of meandering and grab a few rides as the lines dictate. No Have To Do’s.

But… This brought back some fun zany memories of past visits with extended family, Groups… oh the memories. So many Firsts at Disney.

Thx for sharing OP. Sounds like you had a great time!!

Excellent plan and execution!! We are going in early September and will follow your plan. It all makes sense especially the stacking after r return times get later. We always commando in morning and leave when park gets really busy so that will work well for us. One question. You say you picked one headliner for your first G+ selection. What were some of the return times? If they were later in morning it would impact this approach in terms of the second G+ selection.
Our 1st return times typically started between 9-10, meaning the return window opened at a time between 9-10, not that our window was 9-10. For example, our Test Track window on our 1st Epcot day was 9:30-10:30.

Anyone who has had a recent trip...

Are the iconic Mickey head balloons still readily available? Kind of looks like more and more regular old round balloons are taking their place.

While we weren’t there super recently, we were there at the end of May, my youngest sister was on the search for the iconic Mickey head balloons for my nephews birthday pictures and was told that no one had them in any park or location due to shipping delays. I guess they essentially ran out. I don’t know what their current state is

Right. Day 1 of 14, 2 adults one child, G+ everyday. Offsite. Snagged 8:35-9:35 space mountain and heading to the parks now. Will book 7DMT in the Lyft over and try and update as we go. Hoping an early first selection keeps me ahead of the crowd all day.

7DMT for 11:30 and could have got earlier. Looking ok!

Space is down for now so walked on space ranger

Buzz broke down on us and our space mountain is now an anytime. Got an immediate g+ for pirates so headed there

Big thunder g+ secured for lunchtime so now standby for jungle cruise (posted 30 barely 10)

7DMT down so that’s recovery too :(

Barnstormer and teacups ticked off

Walked on mermaid

People outside trying to drum up walk ins for be our guest

Big thunder done just waiting for LL for Splash, then will eat, do space and seven dwarves and haunted mansion and it’s back to the resort. Not a bad job for a “short” party day.

Having genie just decimated MK on a slow day, my most frequent problem has been return times too soon. If it wasn’t for Seven Dwarves and space being down we’d be nearly done!

As a side note Apple Watch as magic band has been seamless and I’ll likely leave my band at home for the rest of the trip

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter