Same thing is happening here along the coast of Maine and in all of New England apparently. I live on an island and I feel like it’s sinking bc there are SO many people here! And almost every business is severely understaffed. I’m glad that tourism has rebounded here, but it is super crowded. We don’t go out to eat during tourist season (Memorial Day through MDI Marathon weekend in late October).

Same on the Jersey shore. We were on Long Beach Island for the past two weeks, something we've done every summer for the past 10 years, and I've never seen it so crowded. And I have business trips in a shore area of Connecticut over the next couple of week and it was almost impossible to get a hotel room.

...oops. Just saw the complaints about these comments. Tried to delete but can't seem to find that as an option. I can edit but not delete. Sorry. Just scroll on by then.

Hello Disney friends, can we please bring the conversation back to Disney World instead of all the other places in the United States? Everyone knows that there is pent up demand for vacations. Sorry, don’t mean to be the topic police, I’m guilty at times too.

Dan
I don't care about what is going on at Cedar Point or Maine or whatever. I want to know how I can ride FOP most efficiently.
Please allow the moderators to handle this. If you see posts you don't agree with or want the topic to be brought back on track, please click 'Report' and we will review the question/suggestion.

Thank you

Hey all - I think I’m one of the people that probably contributed to the seemingly “negative tone” of trip reports recently. Just want to clarify we had a fantastic time. Accomplished A LOT. Loved the enthusiasm from CMs that seemed lacking or toned down in previous visits since reopening. We chatted with several other guests while in line which we had not done in three previous visits. With the right preparation and willingness to be flexible it is definitely possible to have a great time even with the changes!

Please allow the moderators to handle this. If you see posts you don't agree with or want the topic to be brought back on track, please click 'Report' and we will review the question/suggestion.

Thank you
I wasn't trying to bring it back on topic, I was just looking for the best strategy to ride FOP

I wasn't trying to bring it back on topic, I was just looking for the best strategy to ride FOP
For an 8am open, plan to arrive at the bus stop no later than 6:45, if you want to arrive FOP with lowest wait of the day.
Yep. I'd say 6:30 so you can be lined up to enter the park when they start letting people in at 7 am. You want to be in the front of that line. This was what built behind us by 7:15 last Saturday.591787

Hi all, what time/how much in advance of closing do they allow you to get on, or alternatively not let you get on rides/close the line? Do they take into account if 30 mins before close there is a 30 min line and close it for example, or is it possible that you wait 30 mins to close and then park closes and you will be turned away if youre not on yet?

We have gotten in line one minute before closing. Got in line on Wednesday for Test Track at 9:57 for a 10 pm close.

Anyone that’s been in D tech recently know if they have Samsung phone case options, or if it’s just Apple?

Didn’t see anyone answer this. I didn’t make it to Disney Springs on either of my recent trips but I saw Samsung casea available in MouseGears and other similar sho, the selection seems more limited though. Your best bet is doing the on demand service.

Can someone who is there now or has been there recently confirm the current rope drop policy? As I understand it, MK rope drop is at precisely 9:00 (park opening), and no one gets on any rides until them. But DHS has been opening some rides earlier. Is that still the case? If so, what time, and which rides? And what is the situation at AK and Epcot? Thanks!

July 4th weekend they were letting us through the tapstiles at around 8 and then CMs were walking people to various lands to hold them. All the headliners were queuing up, my strategy this summer has been to head to Sunset first and they lined people up on either side of the street for RNRC and ToT. I would have to check my notes from 7/5 for the exact time but I was the literal first person that day to queue at the “rope” of CMs for ToT. We were let on well before official opening. All the headliners were like that, MFSR, SDD, etc.

As well they were calling BGs starting at 8:40.I headed over to MMRR first before my bg 7 or so.

Here now, MK was a hot mess for us for the same reasons as everyone else. AK was better.

MDE is going down a lot which is extra frustrating when you’re trying to order that Dole whip you think you might want in an hour! We used to love mobile order and pretty much hate it now. There’s a lot of people who mob the locations because they don’t know how to work the system and I feel for both them and the cast members who are having to explain how it works to a million people a day. I highly recommend at least one TS a day now.

Also, I’ve seen many cast members walking around picking up trash and not a single overflowing trash can.

We’ve had nothing but great experiences at our hotels, SSR and Bay Lake. Saw an entire group training at SSR. Renting a car was the right choice 100%. We’ve gone off property for a few meals to escape the crowds and it really helped.

We were not there and did not hear the conversation so it is difficult to interpret how the CM was speaking and I do not believe one side of a story. CM's have been treated terribly by guests in the last year, and all I was saying is give them some grace. Apparently they should not be allowed to be human beings and have feelings because that disrupts the guests' magic?? Going to WDW is a privilege, not a need but I think people have forgotten that over the last year. CM's are people and most visitors treat them as part of the background, with no regard to them as individuals with feelings.
It's a business transaction not a privilege.

We checked into Fort Wilderness yesterday, took the internal bus to the ferry and were waiting there by 7:45. They started loading the ferry at about 8:10, if I remember correctly. Dedicated security had no lines and we were walking past Casey's at 8:30. The crowds were already enormous. The fantasyland entrance crowd waiting was huge so we took SDMT off our list and went over to the Tomorrowland entrance to wait for Space Mountain. The crowds built behind us and at some point they announced that Space Mountain was down, no time for reopening, so a lot of people gave up and left the waiting crowd. We stayed and decided to do Buzz Lightyear first instead. Rope dropped at exactly 9.

Turned out that Buzz was closed for refurbishment. I thought I did my research but I apparently missed that. So we rope dropped PeopleMover! Our day was very very hot and crowded, but we had a good time. Lots of line times were inflated, but we followed our Touring Plans plan (optimizing after each ride) and we did okay. Splash had a huge line so we skipped it and then it shut down anyway. I don't know what the problem was, but lots of lines would stop moving for a long time (Thunder Mountain stopped for half an hour, we stuck it out and the line flew after that). When the lines were moving, they were really moving! I think that no fastpass actually made a big difference. I have to say that the heat was a little hard to handle, and we were done by about 3.

We took the ferry back to FW and swam for a while until they closed the pool for lightening nearby. We went into P&Js to ask about kosher meals. There were a couple of "earning my ears" CMs behind the counter who didn't know about kosher meals, but they went behind to ask the chef. He came out, and read us off our options (frozen TV-dinner style meals that they put in a steamer). We were so happy and grateful that Disney provides these so we could have a hot dinner! I really didn't think they'd have any kosher meals and assumed we'd have to go back to MK to Cosmic Ray's, but eating at a nice calm picnic table at FW was amazing and relaxing.

Then we took the ferry back to MK. People were streaming out but somehow the walkways and lines were even more crowded than when we left at 3. We wanted to try Space Mountain again but the line was over an hour so we enjoyed some other rides and watched Country Bears for the first time. It was cute and the guy in front of me was laughing hysterically at the jokes so that was fun to watch. HEA was amazing and I was so proud of my kids for being able to stay up so late. My youngest was kind of a mess by the time we were heading back to FW.

It was an exhausting, exciting, crowded, fun full day, but I don't think we could have done more than one day.
Similar issues this month with rides breaking down. Splash broke down 5 times while we were on it one day. People Mover stopped completely 3 times after beging shut down.

Thank you for your thorough account. Gives me a boost for our upcoming trip. I am going into it with realistic expectations and have told my two kids that it will be different than previous trips, but we are just excited to be getting away and be on vacation and be at our happy place. It's nice to see the positives!!
There are always positives to find. I told my family the same thing about our trip in late June. I told them it was going to be like no trip we had done before, but embrace doing somethings differently. We did just that and had a very enjoyable trip. Have a great trip!

Here now. I posted a quick mini review about our first few days here many pages ago. But here is an updated review.

We’ve been here since July 20th, staying at BCV.

We’ve visited all 4 parks and Disney Springs.

It’s hot and crowded, but that’s easy to figure out whether you are here or not. Getting a chair at SAB has been relatively easy at all hours of the day.

Lines for rides are generally long throughout all ours of the day at all parks. We have NOT been rope dropping but have been entering the parks right when they open and have had a decent experience trying to get on rides in the morning. If the park opens at 9, the lines stay manageable for the most part until about 10-11am, then they are straight unbearable for the rest of the day, with a few exceptions here and there based on weather, ride downtime and people’s general touring plans. If anyone is looking to pack in the rides with short waits, rope drop is absolutely the way to go. But once again, this is probably obvious to most people whether they are here or not already.

Here are a few general comments I have though thus far regarding things that are out of the ordinary for Disney in general…..

Ride breakdowns are a thing, and they last pretty long. Ride breakdowns happen, we expect them. But they have a FAR bigger impact on the park due to there not being any shows or other people eaters being open at the moment. For instance, RNRC was down most of yesterday at Hollywood Studios. This made ride lines such as ToT almost 3 hours at certain points. I’ve been coming here for 30+ years at least 1x annually and have never seen ToT lines this long before, except for when it opened. For me, it never even topped 70-80 minutes during some of the busiest times, including Easter. So you can imagine just how long the lines are for everything else in HS. I’m not sure if this is a general staffing issue, reliability problems, fractured supply chain for parts, whatever it is, this needs to be addressed quicker then anything IMO. Maybe as quick as they need shows to return and more food options to open up.

The parks are essentially BUTCHERED with these very long snaking lines all over the place. They are EVERYWHERE. There was a time where only new headliners like FoP would have lines snaking through the parks. Not anymore. Almost EVERY ride has lines snaking through the park. Magic Kingdom and HS are the worst with this, most especially HS though. Because of this and because of the lack of people eaters, the parks FEEL insanely crowded despite whatever the true numbers are. This is by far my biggest complaint right now. It really ruins the beauty of these parks and turns them into a more well oiled Universal. This is not OK by me and does not meet the high Disney standard for park experience that Disney has had since I’ve been coming here as a kid. I hope this problem goes away eventually with more stuff opening.

Staffing is a very real issue. At first, I didn’t think it was. But I was wrong. You really notice it at the restaurants. There are hardly any, if any, busboys or runners. This leaves a lot of dirty tables and consequently longer waits to be seated even with ADRs, because tables are unclean and not ready in proper time. Servers are responsible for cleaning these tables as far as I can see, and they are also understaffed in that regard too. There are hardly any low wage workers but there are def a lot of servers still in training which should help in the near future once they are passed through. The Be Our Guest server we had said they usually have 50 people working in the kitchen to serve 2000+ people. Now, they only have 12. These particular issues are probably why certain things like Hurricane Hannah’s grill is still closed and why getting a drink at the pool is not easy (the line for a drink is definitely long and the pool servers are very overworked). I have been tipping close to 30% at every restaurant I eat at, whether the CM is nice or not. I truly feel bad for the situation Disney has put them in with overdoing the capacity when they couldn’t handle. Disney screwed us, and them by doing that.

I know there were reports of garbage overflowing in the parks and hallways of hotels. This is just not true. I have not seen this at all and have been here for almost a week. Maybe this is an issue that I missed and once was a problem prior to my trip. Who knows.

CM interactions have been mostly very positive. There are a few exceptions but I just brush it off.

That’s all I have for now. I will post back once the trip is complete and I will post a full in depth review. Keep in mind, I have been vocally very critical of Disney and their decision making in the last few months while they rush back to normal. I still hold the opinion that capacity should NEVER have been increased to this point and it should have never outpaced their ability to bring back staff and other attractions. This is unacceptable by Disney standard and definitely has a negative impact on the overall guest experience here. But in general, we are getting on rides we want. We are waiting, but lines tend to move quick so they never feel that long. We overall are having a great trip and will walk away with a generally positive experience, despite the criticisms and negatives I pointed out above. But these things should be considered for anyone with an impending trip. They do have a noticeable impact.

Here now. I posted a quick mini review about our first few days here many pages ago. But here is an updated review.

It’s hot and crowded, but that’s easy to figure out whether you are here or not. Getting a chair at SAB has been relatively easy at all hours of the day.

Lines for rides are generally long throughout all ours of the day at all parks. We have NOT been rope dropping but have been entering the parks right when they open and have had a decent experience trying to get on rides in the morning. If the park opens at 9, the lines stay manageable for the most part until about 10-11am, then they are straight unbearable for the rest of the day, with a few exceptions here and there based on weather, ride downtime and people’s general touring plans. If anyone is looking to pack in the rides with short waits, rope drop is absolutely the way to go. But once again, this is probably obvious to most people whether they are here or not already.

Here are a few general comments I have though thus far regarding things that are out of the ordinary for Disney in general…..

Ride breakdowns are a thing, and they last pretty long. Ride breakdowns happen, we expect them. But they have a FAR bigger impact on the park due to there not being any shows or other people eaters being open at the moment. For instance, RNRC was down most of yesterday at Hollywood Studios. This made ride lines such as ToT almost 3 hours at certain points. I’ve been coming here for 30+ years at least 1x annually and have never seen ToT lines this long before, except for when it opened. For me, it never even topped 70-80 minutes during some of the busiest times, including Easter. So you can imagine just how long the lines are for everything else in HS. I’m not sure if this is a general staffing issue, reliability problems, fractured supply chain for parts, whatever it is, this needs to be addressed quicker then anything IMO. Maybe as quick as they need shows to return and more food options to open up.

The parks are essentially BUTCHERED with these very long snaking lines all over the place. They are EVERYWHERE. There was a time where only new headliners like FoP would have lines snaking through the parks. Not anymore. Almost EVERY ride has lines snaking through the park. Magic Kingdom and HS are the worst with this, most especially HS though. Because of this and because of the lack of people eaters, the parks FEEL insanely crowded despite whatever the true numbers are. This is by far my biggest complaint right now. It really ruins the beauty of these parks and turns them into a more well oiled Universal. This is not OK by me and does not meet the high Disney standard for park experience that Disney has had since I’ve been coming here as a kid. I hope this problem goes away eventually with more stuff opening.

Staffing is a very real issue. At first, I didn’t think it was. But I was wrong. You really notice it at the restaurants. There are hardly any, if any, busboys or runners. This leaves a lot of dirty tables and consequently longer waits to be seated even with ADRs, because tables are unclean and not ready in proper time. Servers are responsible for cleaning these tables as far as I can see, and they are also understaffed in that regard too. There are hardly any low wage workers but there are def a lot of servers still in training which should help in the near future once they are passed through. The Be Our Guest server we had said they usually have 50 people working in the kitchen to serve 2000+ people. Now, they only have 12. These particular issues are probably why certain things like Hurricane Hannah’s grill is still closed and why getting a drink at the pool is not easy (the line for a drink is definitely long and the pool servers are very overworked). I have been tipping close to 30% at every restaurant I eat at, whether the CM is nice or not. I truly feel bad for the situation Disney has put them in with overdoing the capacity when they couldn’t handle. Disney screwed us, and them by doing that.

I know there were reports of garbage overflowing in the parks and hallways of hotels. This is just not true. I have not seen this at all and have been here for almost a week. Maybe this is an issue that I missed and once was a problem prior to my trip. Who knows.

CM interactions have been mostly very positive. There are a few exceptions but I just brush it off.

That’s all I have for now. I will post back once the trip is complete and I will post a full in depth review. Keep in mind, I have been vocally very critical of Disney and their decision making in the last few months while they rush back to normal. I still hold the opinion that capacity should NEVER have been increased to this point and it should have never outpaced their ability to bring back staff and other attractions. This is unacceptable by Disney standard and definitely has a negative impact on the overall guest experience here. But in general, we are getting on rides we want. We are waiting, but lines tend to move quick so they never feel that long. We overall are having a great trip and will walk away with a generally positive experience, despite the criticisms and negatives I pointed out above. But these things should be considered for anyone with an impending trip. They do have a noticeable impact.

Oh, a few more things I’d like to add.

Comments regarding QS. We have mostly been using ADRs. And I understand the purpose of mobile ordering with QS. But I can’t stand it. I definitely want the old system back of just old fashioned ordering from a hostess and waiting for my food to pop out of a window while I scope out a clear table. Mobile ordering and not being allowed into the area before you check in, just adds to the chaos and crowds of people, and unnecessarily imo. This is worse and most evident in Galaxy’s Edge though, where hoards of people are just waiting around for their QS or to be let into one of the tiny shops. I love how they did Galaxy’s Edge, but it was not meant to be like this. We’ll continue to rely on our ADR’s for the time being, which brings up my next point.

Disney World menus. Man, some of these menus are REALLY pared back. I’m not talking a few entrees here and there, I’m talking there is a noticeable supply chain change. Every restaurant pretty much has the same standard menu items but with some thematic flair for variation. And it’s a real shame. Because the quality is certainly there, the chefs are putting out great meals. But the options aren’t there. And it definitely impacts the restaurant experiences a bit. We’ve found that restaurants in Disney Springs don’t have this issue, generally speaking, so we have been changing our plans to be in the parks in the morning and to eat at Disney Springs for dinner with whatever ADRs we can find last minute. It’s obvious we aren’t the only ones realizing/doing this because Disney Springs has been more packed then usual in past years.

Anyway, that’s all I got. Hope this helps anyone. If anyone has any questions, I’ll be slow to answer because I am on vacation but will be glad to help.

Comments regarding QS. We have mostly been using ADRs. And I understand the purpose of mobile ordering with QS. But I can’t stand it. I definitely want the old system back of just old fashioned ordering from a hostess and waiting for my food to pop out of a window while I scope out a clear table. Mobile ordering and not being allowed into the area before you check in, just adds to the chaos and crowds of people, and unnecessarily imo. This is worse and most evident in Galaxy’s Edge though, where hoards of people are just waiting around for their QS or to be let into one of the tiny shops. I love how they did Galaxy’s Edge, but it was not meant to be like this. We’ll continue to rely on our ADR’s for the time being, which brings up my next point.

Disney World menus. Man, some of these menus are REALLY pared back. I’m not talking a few entrees here and there, I’m talking there is a noticeable supply chain change. Every restaurant pretty much has the same standard menu items but with some thematic flair for variation. And it’s a real shame. Because the quality is certainly there, the chefs are putting out great meals. But the options aren’t there. And it definitely impacts the restaurant experiences a bit. We’ve found that restaurants in Disney Springs don’t have this issue, generally speaking, so we have been changing our plans to be in the parks in the morning and to eat at Disney Springs for dinner with whatever ADRs we can find last minute. It’s obvious we aren’t the only ones realizing/doing this because Disney Springs has been more packed then usual in past years.

Anyway, that’s all I got. Hope this helps anyone. If anyone has any questions, I’ll be slow to answer because I am on vacation but will be glad to help.
we ate at Disney springs alot this trip And thought the meals was much better over there

Really great, thorough reviews! thank you!

This all falls squarely on the shoulders of Disney. They chose to open up the parks to this capacity. They could easily have kept this from happening by not opening up the parks so quickly. Now, we are the suckers showing up tomorrow handing $10,000 over to them. I fully expect to make the most of it. We are positive people in general. I will be happy to report back my objective observations after having been to the parks for the last 10 years, the last couple of visits being this same time of year.

Dan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter