"Here I go again! On my own??" Solo in May 2017 PTR **updated 4/29

Hooray!! I'm glad to see you!!

Full disclosure...I have been thinking how I could work the remaining lyrics into chapter titles for this PTR. I can totally make them fit with the Disney thing! Going down the only road I've ever known? This could work, because I know Disney so well!

Like a drifter I was born to walk alone? Yes, because SOLO TRIP.

I've made up my mind, I ain't wastin' no more time?? There's a fast pass chapter title.

I'm ridiculous, LOL!!

OMG!!! Love it!!!!!!
"I should have known better than to let you go alone"...(Is this Love)

Sorry your trip with mil didn't work out but yay for a solo trip. I think this is much better for you anyway. I'm following along!

Btw I started watching Riverdale because you spoke so highly about it & I love it.

Hey! I'm following along on your PTR, too! It's crazy cool that we'll be in the same place at almost the same time! I can't wait to see how you put your trip together! And thank you for such a thorough introduction! I forget to add pictures to my stuff, but that's probably because I avoid the camera...

Oh, Ariane...the things I could tell you about MIL. I think we'd go through a LOT of sangria telling our various MIL stories!!
:laughing: I can hear us now after every additional glass: "No no no wait, I can top THAT!!!!"

I mostly wonder how I'll feel when I'm alone in the room in the evenings with no one to talk to.
That's one thing I've thought about when contemplating a future solo trip, and the other one is eating alone in restaurants. I actually don't think being in the room alone at night will be so bad unless a huge storm came through and kept me in the room for like, 24 hours :eek: Simply because 1. I'd be tired 2. I'd spend time talking to DH and the boys, and 3. I could watch whatever I wanted on TV without anyone asking me for anything! LOL when I was in Universal I only had one night in the room by myself and it followed 3 nights of rooming with a nice woman who was a stranger, so I didn't mind at all. As for the eating, I've thought well, you do see singles eating at Disney, and I'd probably bring a book!

I LOVE the throwback pics!!!

Sorry your trip with mil didn't work out but yay for a solo trip. I think this is much better for you anyway. I'm following along!

Btw I started watching Riverdale because you spoke so highly about it & I love it.

Hello, hello!!!
I think you're right...I feel like this is going to be a great trip! I've been working on arrival day plans, and I'm getting really excited.

I love Riverdale! I'm glad you are liking it! I think it's helping me get through the wait for Pretty Little Liars to come back next month. I love Jughead and Betty but I HAAATE Betty's parents. I can't decide if I like Archie or not, but I love seeing Luke Perry as his dad. I was a big 90210 fan way back when. I think they did a great job casting Veronica and her mom.

Hey! I'm following along on your PTR, too! It's crazy cool that we'll be in the same place at almost the same time! I can't wait to see how you put your trip together! And thank you for such a thorough introduction! I forget to add pictures to my stuff, but that's probably because I avoid the camera...

Welcome!!

I'm not a big fan of the camera either, honestly! We'll have to be on the lookout for each other if I decide to stay put at AKL!

:laughing: I can hear us now after every additional glass: "No no no wait, I can top THAT!!!!"

That's one thing I've thought about when contemplating a future solo trip, and the other one is eating alone in restaurants. I actually don't think being in the room alone at night will be so bad unless a huge storm came through and kept me in the room for like, 24 hours :eek: Simply because 1. I'd be tired 2. I'd spend time talking to DH and the boys, and 3. I could watch whatever I wanted on TV without anyone asking me for anything! LOL when I was in Universal I only had one night in the room by myself and it followed 3 nights of rooming with a nice woman who was a stranger, so I didn't mind at all. As for the eating, I've thought well, you do see singles eating at Disney, and I'd probably bring a book!

I LOVE the throwback pics!!!

Oh my gosh. We'd be wasted in ten minutes, LOL!! :drinking1:faint:

I actually really like sleeping alone, so that part I'm looking forward to. DH and one of my dogs snore. The dog is louder than DH! I think I'm worried about being bored, which sounds odd considering where I'll be! It would be nice to get some reading done, especially overlooking the giraffes!

I'll bet it was nice to have a room alone after being with a stranger. Even if she was nice, I would have been ready to be on my own!

Meals are kind of tripping me up. I cancelled three that I had planned, and added one, and I'm debating on keeping a couple of others. That's probably what my next big post will be about because I'm so confused about what I want to do!

I love Riverdale! I'm glad you are liking it! I think it's helping me get through the wait for Pretty Little Liars to come back next month. I love Jughead and Betty but I HAAATE Betty's parents. I can't decide if I like Archie or not, but I love seeing Luke Perry as his dad. I was a big 90210 fan way back when. I think they did a great job casting Veronica and her mom.

I don't really like Archie. I don't dislike him but I don't get why all the girls are into him. He's cute but his personality is kinda blah. I like Jughead, Veronica, Betty, & Cheryl. I'm. I'm not feeling the ***** Cat storyline. Maybe that will grow on me. And I want Luke Perry to date Veronica's mom.

I don't really like Archie. I don't dislike him but I don't get why all the girls are into him. He's cute but his personality is kinda blah. I like Jughead, Veronica, Betty, & Cheryl. I'm. I'm not feeling the ***** Cat storyline. Maybe that will grow on me. And I want Luke Perry to date Veronica's mom.

I don't get why the girls all love him either! He has zero personality as far as I can tell. I guess it's the abs, LOL! I agree about the Josie story, too. It feels like they're just forcing the characters in. I'm sure it will all tie in eventually, but it's kind of weird right now.

Good morning!!

I'm not feeling Monday today. I have way too much to do after being sick last week. Isn't it funny how when you're sick for a week it takes like TWO weeks to get things back in order??

I feel like I just cannot get caught up on laundry. Boy, I can't wait to spend the whole day doing THAT.

I guess I can break up the monotony when I go get groceries.

But for now, I'm going to avoid responsibility for the next half hour or so, and get another chapter posted on this PTR, because I have a lot on my mind! The main thing that has been giving me fits is
DINING!

Chapter Two: Carrots for One

This is probably a very obvious statement, but dining reservations are one of the biggest changes in transitioning this trip from two people to a solo act.

I've mentioned before that MIL wanted to do everything Beauty and the Beast related, so I did focus on Be Our Guest for dinner and Akershus breakfast so we could see Belle and the other princesses. On ADR day, those were the only two reservations I made, because I figured we could wing it a little bit while we were there.

I had booked an early BOG dinner on our second MK evening, and a pre-park opening Akershus breakfast for our last full park day.

As time went on, I began to question my plan to do Akershus on the last Epcot day vs. the first Epcot day, so I set up an alert on Touring Plans reservation finder (amazing tool, by the way!) for an early Akershus breakfast for the first day, too. (It came through the week before she backed out. Of course.) I also had a 7:30am Boma reservation for that first day, so a choice needed to be made.

Then I decided to add a lunch at Brown Derby on our Hollywood Studios day. THEN I added a Wishes dessert party. THEN I added a Rivers of Light dining package at Tiffins for one evening.

That's a big jump from just two initial planned reservations, but I couldn't leave well enough alone!

But now that I'm going by myself, what do I do???

So far I have cancelled both Akershus reservations, Boma breakfast, and the Be Our Guest dinner (which luckily I was able to coordinate with another DIS-er, and she was able to pick it up!).

And I have MADE a new pre-MK opening Be Our Guest breakfast reservation.

Here is what I have now (currently booked at AKL, considering switch to monorail resort):

Arrival day - nothing (plane lands before noon)
Day One - nothing
Day Two - Wishes dessert party (still for two)
Day Three - Brown Derby lunch, Tiffins dinner ROL package
Day Four - BOG breakfast
Day Five - nothing
Departure Day - nothing (ME doesn't pick me up until after 3pm)

I have two days planned at Epcot, and those days I will be snacking at Flower and Garden booths. I will probably eat something at The Mara on arrival day before heading to a park. At MK I don't mind eating QS, so that's fine. I'm torn on whether or not to keep the reservation at Brown Derby or if I should just eat at the lounge.

For Animal Kingdom, I have a fast pass for RoL on arrival night, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to stay up for it since my flight is at 6am. That's a long time to be awake! If my room is ready when I arrive, I guess I could try to take a nap, but I think I'll be too excited. For that reason, I am keeping the Tiffins dining package. I also want to see the difference between watching it from the fast pass side vs. the dining package side, so I can report back on pros/cons in my trip report. While at AK, I'm fine with quick service.

I would really like to work in a breakfast and a dinner at Boma, and maybe a meal at Jiko if I stay at AKL. It would be a crime to miss out on the amazing dining experiences at this resort, and I feel like I would regret it if I didn't eat at least one of these meals.

And the Wishes dessert party...this one is really hard for me to make a decision about. I have it booked for the garden viewing area because that's where I wanted MIL to see the fireworks from. If I'm alone, do I really need to guarantee that spot? I will be able to find a spot anywhere I want, probably, being by myself. I don't have to worry about finding room for my whole family, I can just cram myself in wherever.

I'm 90% sure I should cancel this, but that 10% of me that wants to keep it has a tight hold on me!

This is what I'm struggling with currently! I am open to any ideas!!

In the meantime, I'm feeling like...

So in love with the Zootopia references <3 #BigJudyHoppsFan I really hope you get to work in some time at Boma!! As soon as I saw you'd cancelled that ressie I was disappointed. (But of course if you switch resorts it will suddenly make much less sense to eat there.) We've done breakfast and dinner, and both are excellent buffets. I have a slight preference for the breakfast, but I'm also a serious breakfast person. And we just booked our Boma dinner ADRs recently for our wedding reception-substitute, which is making me quite excited. Tough call on the Wishes dessert party...I can see why you should cancel it...but it also might feel good to treat yo' self!

I agree if you stay at AKL you should definitely find time for Boma or Jiko if you can! I'm sure you will regret it if you don't!

Hmm thats tough about the dessert party. I would say cancel it since you should be able to find a spot on your own. Are you still going to be there when it's Wishes being shown? If so then I can see why you are holding onto it. Might be nice to have such a special spot to watch it for the last time!

So in love with the Zootopia references <3 #BigJudyHoppsFan I really hope you get to work in some time at Boma!! As soon as I saw you'd cancelled that ressie I was disappointed. (But of course if you switch resorts it will suddenly make much less sense to eat there.) We've done breakfast and dinner, and both are excellent buffets. I have a slight preference for the breakfast, but I'm also a serious breakfast person. And we just booked our Boma dinner ADRs recently for our wedding reception-substitute, which is making me quite excited. Tough call on the Wishes dessert party...I can see why you should cancel it...but it also might feel good to treat yo' self!

I loooove Zootopia! I get so emotional when Judy is on the train and Try Everything is playing...it gets me every time!

I cancelled the Boma breakfast on the first park day so I could sleep in a little and not have to be up and ready early after a looooong travel/arrival day. I'm considering adding one in later in the week or trying for a walk up. I don't think it will be too hard to get a reservation by myself. Same for dinner...I'm hoping I can get a reservation one evening, or again, try it as a walkup. I've heard too many good things about it to skip it!

I think that's a great choice for your reception substitute! I can't imagine anyone having trouble finding something they'd like there!

I'm so close to cancelling the Wishes party...I just haven't cut that cord yet. I don't think I'd eat many of the desserts, based on the past parties I've attended. I might just save it for October with my mom!

I agree if you stay at AKL you should definitely find time for Boma or Jiko if you can! I'm sure you will regret it if you don't!

Hmm thats tough about the dessert party. I would say cancel it since you should be able to find a spot on your own. Are you still going to be there when it's Wishes being shown? If so then I can see why you are holding onto it. Might be nice to have such a special spot to watch it for the last time!

I'm going to try to work them in, because you're right - I would end up regretting it! I've never been to Boma, but I feel like a buffet would be a little less conspicuous to do by myself, and I could bring a book or something!

I will be there the week before Wishes ends, so this trip will be my last time seeing it! I know that's part of the reason I haven't let the party reservation go yet, but honestly, I feel like it's going on the chopping block soon. I'm just scared it will be another regret, you know?

I'm considering adding one in later in the week or trying for a walk up. I don't think it will be too hard to get a reservation by myself. Same for dinner...I'm hoping I can get a reservation one evening, or again, try it as a walkup. I've heard too many good things about it to skip it!

I agree that you shouldn't have much trouble getting in by yourself. It's not a particularly hard ADR to get as a small group or anything, and in May there's probably a fair bit of walkup availability depending on time of day. Totally worth it if you can fit it in somewhere :) We didn't try Jiko last trip because we were on the dining plan and we did Tiffins instead and didn't want to book both signature restaurants, and then for the honeymoon I'm already overwhelmed with how many ADRs I've booked so I didn't even try to fit it in, but I think I'd consider doing it on another trip someday. I've heard great things.

I don't get why the girls all love him either! He has zero personality as far as I can tell. I guess it's the abs, LOL! I agree about the Josie story, too. It feels like they're just forcing the characters in. I'm sure it will all tie in eventually, but it's kind of weird right now.

I agree Archie does have zero personality and the Josie storyline does feel a little forced. I love Betty and Jughead trying to solve the murder though! And I like Veronica and Cheryl too. I'm actually really liking the mystery aspect of the show and trying to guess what's going on.

Arrival day - nothing (plane lands before noon)
Day One - nothing
Day Two - Wishes dessert party (still for two)
Day Three - Brown Derby lunch, Tiffins dinner ROL package
Day Four - BOG breakfast
Day Five - nothing
Departure Day - nothing (ME doesn't pick me up until after 3pm)

Day 5....possibly meet up with me :rotfl:

I'm torn on whether or not to keep the reservation at Brown Derby or if I should just eat at the lounge.

The lounge seems to have a pretty decent menu. I guess it depends on what you want to get.

I would really like to work in a breakfast and a dinner at Boma, and maybe a meal at Jiko if I stay at AKL. It would be a crime to miss out on the amazing dining experiences at this resort, and I feel like I would regret it if I didn't eat at least one of these meals.

Do Boma! I think a buffet would be easier. With that said I dined solo at Boma's breakfast buffet on the last trip (it's in my DTR), and I do think a buffet wasn't too bad alone. I did feel they treated me kind of weirdly at the desk because I was solo but I wouldn't let that keep you from booking. Once I was in, the waitress was fantastic (and didn't treat me like dining solo was weird) and other than that I just got my food and no one bothered me.

And the Wishes dessert party...this one is really hard for me to make a decision about. I have it booked for the garden viewing area because that's where I wanted MIL to see the fireworks from. If I'm alone, do I really need to guarantee that spot? I will be able to find a spot anywhere I want, probably, being by myself. I don't have to worry about finding room for my whole family, I can just cram myself in wherever.

I'm 90% sure I should cancel this, but that 10% of me that wants to keep it has a tight hold on me!

I'd definitely cancel this. It'll be so much easier to find a better spot.

I agree that you shouldn't have much trouble getting in by yourself. It's not a particularly hard ADR to get as a small group or anything, and in May there's probably a fair bit of walkup availability depending on time of day. Totally worth it if you can fit it in somewhere :) We didn't try Jiko last trip because we were on the dining plan and we did Tiffins instead and didn't want to book both signature restaurants, and then for the honeymoon I'm already overwhelmed with how many ADRs I've booked so I didn't even try to fit it in, but I think I'd consider doing it on another trip someday. I've heard great things.

That's what I'm hoping! It's one of those reservations that I always want to do, but AKL is just not all that convenient if you're not staying there. Making time to visit in December was eye opening, and now I'm just wanting to eat allllll the food!

I hope your honeymoon planning is going well!!

I agree Archie does have zero personality and the Josie storyline does feel a little forced. I love Betty and Jughead trying to solve the murder though! And I like Veronica and Cheryl too. I'm actually really liking the mystery aspect of the show and trying to guess what's going on.

Day 5....possibly meet up with me :rotfl:

The lounge seems to have a pretty decent menu. I guess it depends on what you want to get.

Do Boma! I think a buffet would be easier. With that said I dined solo at Boma's breakfast buffet on the last trip (it's in my DTR), and I do think a buffet wasn't too bad alone. I did feel they treated me kind of weirdly at the desk because I was solo but I wouldn't let that keep you from booking. Once I was in, the waitress was fantastic (and didn't treat me like dining solo was weird) and other than that I just got my food and no one bothered me.

I'd definitely cancel this. It'll be so much easier to find a better spot.

The murdery part is my favorite! I love anything like that with a mystery. If I have any guilty pleasures, Pretty Little Liars is the main one, and it all started with a murder mystery! I also watch a lot of Investigation Discovery channel...I look around to see if I'm being followed a lot now, LOL!

YES! I am working on my day-to-day plans so I have more info to share with you. I think I'm getting the bulk of it figured out, thank goodness!

I think I want the same thing from the lounge that I do from dining inside...I want the cobb salad and the dessert trio. Maybe the margarita flight, depending on how I'm feeling that day. I think I'd rather save my booze allotment for Tiffins later that evening. I don't want to drink too much alone :drinking1

I remembered your experience with Boma, and that's part of why it's appealing. I don't want to be stuck with QS because I'm afraid of being treated weirdly b/c I'm alone, and I feel like a buffet would be helpful with that.

I made my final Wishes decision...will update in a little while!

The murdery part is my favorite! I love anything like that with a mystery. If I have any guilty pleasures, Pretty Little Liars is the main one, and it all started with a murder mystery! I also watch a lot of Investigation Discovery channel...I look around to see if I'm being followed a lot now, LOL!

YES! I am working on my day-to-day plans so I have more info to share with you. I think I'm getting the bulk of it figured out, thank goodness!

I think I want the same thing from the lounge that I do from dining inside...I want the cobb salad and the dessert trio. Maybe the margarita flight, depending on how I'm feeling that day. I think I'd rather save my booze allotment for Tiffins later that evening. I don't want to drink too much alone :drinking1

I remembered your experience with Boma, and that's part of why it's appealing. I don't want to be stuck with QS because I'm afraid of being treated weirdly b/c I'm alone, and I feel like a buffet would be helpful with that.

I made my final Wishes decision...will update in a little while!

Yes! Ooo I used to love PLL, but I haven't been as into this last season. I liked the original mystery. Not so much a mystery but I watch a lot of Criminal Minds :rotfl: I always double check all the doors are locked at night now.

:cheer2:

Me too! We went to the restaurant last trip, and I loved the Cobb salad. I really want the Cobb salad and maybe a dessert trio so I'm trying the lounge this time. The margarita flight sounds good too! Drinking alone is okay if you're on vacation :drinking1

Yeah I think a buffet works for that!

Ooo ok! :earseek:

Ok, I'm a total fail in missing your previous trip reports but somehow I found this (aka like you I've had a case of the Mondays for two days in a row now and managed to make it home with some semblance of awake time left in the day so I can be in my happy disney place :-)) I'd think I want to say sorry your plans haven't worked out and MIL dropped out, but that actually sounds like a total win for you. And you must exploit all things AKL dining if you stay there. Jiko, Boma, Sanna, all perfection!

I would really like to work in a breakfast and a dinner at Boma, and maybe a meal at Jiko if I stay at AKL
Do breakfast! I think it's my favorite breakfast on property. We haven't done dinner since 2011 I think so I can't really speak to it, but breakfast is awesome.

I thought about this and first I was going to say keep it; but now I think if I were you I might cancel....like you said, it's only one person you need to find a good spot for and you could use the time you'd be at the dessert party to be doing other things. Plus is less time sitting and eating by yourself. Not trying to make you feel uncomfortable :hug: again just thinking as if it were me! However on the flip side since sadly it'll be your last time seeing Wishes, being guaranteed a good viewing spot is appealing :scratchin
Have you considered doing a tour since the boys won't be with you? They're so much fun! KTTK, or Undiscovered FutureWorld in Epcot in the morning and then you could go to WS for Flower and Garden. That one surprised us with how informative and interesting it was!

I'm watching too :wave2:

Welcome!!

I'm not a big fan of the camera either, honestly! We'll have to be on the lookout for each other if I decide to stay put at AKL!

Someday I will be all about the pictures, just not right now. :) And yes! I REALLY love AKL and I will always do my best to stay there now. Like, how great is it to be able to walk out of your hotel room and boom, in the lobby, two amazing restaurants. And then if you walk past the pool (and who wouldn't want to, it's GORGEOUS), boom! Another restaurant. I loved my dinner at Jiko and I LOVED by breakfast at Boma. I would really only do Boma (lunch or dinner) for the dessert table, the same way I'm doing Tusker House breakfast at 10:30 am so that we get breakfast and lunch because I really like desserts? But that's also because I'm picky. (I think we have maintained by now that I'm a dessert person.)

We will definitely have to be on the lookout for one another. But if you want to organize something, I'm happy to do that. :) We could always eat a meal together or something! It's fun talking to people who are not your people sometimes! I'll be traveling with my best friend (I'm SO EXCITED to say that), so we might be getting sick of each other by the time we switch to Disney. The longest we've been 'together' is like...two days.

I'm also sorry about your MIL, but I'm also glad you get to do your own trip. I will probably do my own trip sometime, since all of the reservations I've picked are to appease other people. It has to be kind of neat to make all the decisions for yourself!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!