"Here I go again! On my own??" Solo in May 2017 PTR **updated 4/29

xlsm

Snow White
Hello DisFriends!! :wave:

After much consideration, I decided to go ahead and start a PTR for my upcoming May Disney adventure!

If you've followed along with me before, welcome back! If you're new, I'm so happy to have you here!

So what is this trip all about anyway?? On your OWN??

YES! Although it didn't start out that way. Allow me to explain...

Usually in my PTRs and TRs, you see me hanging around with these characters:

But this time things will be a little different. Ok, a LOT different!

This trip was booked waaaayyy back in October, before we even left on our family trip in December. I was going to be taking my mother-in-law for a "girls only" type of trip to celebrate her 60th birthday, in an attempt to bond with her, spend some time alone together, etc...Our relationship is rocky, so I thought this would be a good way to try to make some special memories.

MIL wanted a Beauty and the Beast-centric trip, because it is her favorite Disney movie.

On ADR day, I got Be Our Guest dinner and Akershus breakfast before Epcot park opening. We used our free companion pass we'd earned from our airline miles card for her plane ticket, and bought a 7 day hopper from Undercover Tourist for her. (I have an AP this year)

But...

(You knew a "but" was coming, right??)

As time went on, her excitement level changed. She started talking about being afraid to fly, and saying she didn't want to be anywhere past 6pm in the evening, and how she HAD to have a full breakfast as soon as she got up.

Then, a month or so ago, she asked us to throw her a huge birthday party (where she lives, which is 5 hours from us), rent a restaurant, and make sure all of her friends got there.

DH asked, "Is this in ADDITION to the WDW trip?", to which she answered...yes.

THEN....
( ::yes::
another "then" )

shortly after that request, my sister-in-law asked us to give her money to send MIL on a trip to Scotland.

This made us pretty mad, because we are not a bank, and we couldn't believe they had the nerve to keep asking us for these things.

Yesterday was Fast Pass day for this trip, so we told MIL she had to choose. She said she'd rather us give her money to go to Scotland.

Annnd...this solo trip was born!

So come hang out with me over the next few weeks as I get myself prepared for a solo adventure to my most happy of happy places, the most magical place on earth!

Last edited:
Yay you started one! I'm obviously following along and eagerly waiting to hear your new plans!

I think it was a good idea and really sweet that you wanted to take your MIL to bond with her. I think it's rude that not only did she ask you for way more when you were already giving her a lot, but she said she'd rather go somewhere without you then have that bonding experience.

But I also think in a way you may have more fun solo because you won't have someone with you that is unhappy to be there and complaining about not wanting to do certain things.

OMG solo trip, YAS! Can I say "good riddance??" Cuz that's how I feel right now! Sounds like you totally dodged a bullet, and now you also get to have a perfectly tailored-to-S's-interests-only kinda trip. (Also...she's afraid to fly???...Is she planning to swim to SCOTLAND? Alas, I digress...) I've always considered a solo trip. Possibly someday if I get up the nerve to travel alone (we all know how much I love to fly or ride any other kind of transportation that moves.) I'm so looking forward to hearing all about this trip! I'll miss your minions though. They're so lovable and entertaining. Looking forward to hearing what you've got planned...

Last edited:

I'm obviously going to follow along!

Can't wait to hear what you're going to do without her. :laughing:

Ok so ive been lurking on these boards for a while. But I just had to come out of hiding to tell you I love your trip reports :worship:and Im so glad you decided to share your PTR too. Following along.popcorn::

Yay you started one! I'm obviously following along and eagerly waiting to hear your new plans!

I think it was a good idea and really sweet that you wanted to take your MIL to bond with her. I think it's rude that not only did she ask you for way more when you were already giving her a lot, but she said she'd rather go somewhere without you then have that bonding experience.

But I also think in a way you may have more fun solo because you won't have someone with you that is unhappy to be there and complaining about not wanting to do certain things.

Hooray!! I'm glad you're here!

I really did think that being in WDW would make a great bonding experience. Especially during Flower and Garden, because she is all about gardening and organic everything, and I know she would love it. I admit I'm a little disappointed, but a lot relieved! There was just way too much craziness going on after we began making plans.

Part of what I'm most excited about while alone is not having to do what anyone else wants to do! I always worry so much about keeping everyone else happy, so it's going to be so refreshing for that to be completely off the table!

OMG solo trip, YAS! Can I say "good riddance??" Cuz that's how I feel right now! Sounds like you totally dodged a bullet, and now you also get to have a perfectly tailored-to-S's-interests-only kinda trip. (Also...she's afraid to fly???...Is she planning to swim to SCOTLAND? Alas, I digress...) I've always considered a solo trip. Possibly someday if I get up the nerve to travel alone (we all know how much I love to fly or ride any other kind of transportation that movies.) I'm so looking forward to hearing all about this trip! I'll miss your minions though. They're so lovable and entertaining. Looking forward to hearing what you've got planned...

Haha!! I had that initial reaction too, I was so annoyed!!

I am excited to be able to do my own thing! I'm going to take so. many. pictures!!

I said the same thing about flying!!! For the WDW trip, she was freaking out about having to change planes, and yet she's going to fly OVER THE OCEAN?? I don't understand. She was nervous about being away from her job and home for a week with me, but going to Scotland is totally fine :sad2:

I've never done ANYTHING like this alone, so it's going to be a whole new thing for me. I know you don't like flying, but maybe someday you'll do a solo trip too! I'm a little nervous, a lot excited, and so ready to go! I'm going to miss my minions, too! That's going to be the hardest part about the whole thing.

Following !!!!

I'm happy you're here!!

I'm obviously going to follow along!

Can't wait to hear what you're going to do without her. :laughing:

Hooray! Welcome!
I guess we at least know I'm not going to get locked up in Disney jail for throwing her off Splash Mountain now :rotfl:

Ok so ive been lurking on these boards for a while. But I just had to come out of hiding to tell you I love your trip reports :worship:and Im so glad you decided to share your PTR too. Following along.popcorn::

Oh, that's so nice! Thank you!! I'm glad you came out of lurkdom (that's what I did for a long time around here, too!!) to say hello!!

Yay :cheer2: I was so happy to see you started this!! I'm not going to say anything about the whole MIL situation because.......well, I could say a whole lot . My MIL is 20 years past 60 but when she was younger we had MANY a difference. And while she never asked for $$ she most definitely did things that made us :eek: :faint: and most especially :furious:, so I feel you!
I'm just so glad you aren't cancelling the trip! Although I technically wasn't alone when I went to the Universal training last month it was the first time I traveled without Steve or the boys except when I travel to see my sister, but that's different because I'm traveling alone to family. It was weird but I'm glad I did it, except you get ALL your time free and you get to decide what you do ALL the time!! Can't wait to hear how you're changing the trip from the original plans!

I think solo sound so amazing. Especially since her excitement started waning. Better going alone than with someone who is going to make your miserable. I'd love to go solo someday. I don't think DH would go for it though.

I'm glad we won't have to come bail you out! :rotfl:

:rotfl2::rotfl2:
Me too! But it sure meant a lot to have all that backup when it might have been a possibility!!
Yay :cheer2: I was so happy to see you started this!! I'm not going to say anything about the whole MIL situation because.......well, I could say a whole lot . My MIL is 20 years past 60 but when she was younger we had MANY a difference. And while she never asked for $$ she most definitely did things that made us :eek: :faint: and most especially :furious:, so I feel you!
I'm just so glad you aren't cancelling the trip! Although I technically wasn't alone when I went to the Universal training last month it was the first time I traveled without Steve or the boys except when I travel to see my sister, but that's different because I'm traveling alone to family. It was weird but I'm glad I did it, except you get ALL your time free and you get to decide what you do ALL the time!! Can't wait to hear how you're changing the trip from the original plans!

I think I succumbed to the peer pressure from you and Raeven :rotfl:

Oh, Ariane...the things I could tell you about MIL. I think we'd go through a LOT of sangria telling our various MIL stories!!
I'm so curious to see how traveling alone will be! I drive by myself quite a bit when I have to go back to my hometown every so often, which is 3.5 hours each way and I stay in a hotel when I'm there, but like you said, it's not the same as a trip to Universal or another vacationy spot (because my hometown is NOT vacationy at all!!). I've never flown alone before, but that doesn't bother me. I mostly wonder how I'll feel when I'm alone in the room in the evenings with no one to talk to. I used to live alone, and I've been home alone when DH was on a work trip and the kids were away at their grandparents, but that's different. At least then I'm in my own space, and could go out and see a friend or something if I wanted to. I hope I don't feel isolated! I think that's what I'm a little worried about.

I have FPs made, and I'm working on some loose daily plans, deciding what ADRs to keep and which ones to toss...I'm excited to toss ideas around with all of you!!

I think solo sound so amazing. Especially since her excitement started waning. Better going alone than with someone who is going to make your miserable. I'd love to go solo someday. I don't think DH would go for it though.

I hope it turns out well! It's something I've always wanted to do, so I hope it lives up to what I've imagined, LOL!
You're totally right - I was so afraid of being miserable, and no way do I want to be upset in the one place I am the most happy. I love MIL, but her mood switches from sweet to scary so quickly, that I wouldn't even know which version of her I'd get each day. I think it's going to be much better this way, even though I am a little sad she's not going to get to see Flower and Garden. She would have loved it!

I hope you get to go solo someday! DH might be more ok with it than you think :-)

Ugh, changing her mind after tickets and airline were purchased would drive me nuts! Long term seems better for you though. Looking forward to following the planning!

Good morning and happy Friday!!

I hope the day is starting off well for everyone! Our weekend is going to be a birthday re-do for me...last week, for my actual birthday, I got sick and lost my sense of taste and smell, AND we had an Odyssey of the Mind tournament (I coach).

But now, my taste buds are back in business and I'm ready to eat cake!

Let's kick this PTR off with an intro! Many of you know me from my other reports, so some things you've heard before, but I'm going to try and throw in some new information! Since I don't have to be mom or wife on this trip, I will talk more about me as an actual individual (I say, as I post a pic with DH, lol!)!

So, the basics:

I am the S of xlsm, wife to M, mom to X (13) and L (11). I am a PTO officer on two boards (the middle school board and the district governing board), and I try to be a positive representation of that. Meaning, PTO members are not all crazy people as they are sometimes perceived. In fact, out of all the ones I know, only a very few are jerks. I'd say about 10% jerks, 90% non-jerks. That's a pretty good ratio, right?? Mostly we just make sure your kids have fun things to do at school, feed teachers on conference nights, and pay for things the school can't/won't.

I also coach Quiz Bowl (although I decided this year was my last year for that!) and Odyssey of the Mind. If you don't know what OM is, I could talk about it for hours, so I won't get into that here. But I've coached or been co-coach for four years, and I love it!

Outside of that "school life", I'm pretty boring! I used to be the life of the party, but let me tell you, being "on" all the time is exhausting. People would expect me to be entertaining and up all the time, and I couldn't do that anymore.

I grew up in the 80s and 90s, and am a student of pop culture! All things music, movies, and television have always been a huge part of my life. I know pretty much every word to every song that comes on the radio, on any station, that was released between 1950 and 2007, and most current pop. If I was ever on Name that Tune, I would make a killing and wipe the floor with every other opponent. I routinely speak in movie quotes, and I. Love. TV. Love it.
I love musical theater. Les Mis, Rent, and Wicked are my favorite shows, but I am also obsessed with Hamilton and all things Lin Manuel Miranda. The soundtracks to Jersey Boys and Book of Mormon are the runners up for most listened to.

I was a theater kid in school, editor of the school paper, and was a theater/film major in college before changing to public relations/communications, but then I got pregnant and married. And then I got divorced, and raised a toddler and a baby by myself while working as an elementary school secretary and struggling. And THEN I reconnected with my now husband, who I knew in high school, and here we are now!

We took our first family trip in August 2014 (I was already to the must-go-often point, and DH had been when he was younger but didn't care), and I passed my Disney World bug onto the rest of them. The kids have grown so much since that first trip! Here we are over the past few years:

August 2014:

July 2015:

June 2016 at Disneyland:

December 2016:

DH was there in December too! I just liked the way I looked in this picture better than the one with him in it, LOL!! But then there's this...

It's crazy to see how much the boys have grown, and it's killing me that X is taller than me now!! I'm 5'8" and he's only 13, so I figure I'll be looking up at him before much longer!

I grew up on Disney, receiving a new bulky, plastic-clad VHS movie from my grandmother for every holiday or event. I worshipped the Little Mermaid, and had a lunch box and pants with Ariel all over them. I watched Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin over and over and can recite them start to finish. The late 80s and 90s will always be Disney's golden years for me, no matter how much I love the older and newer films!

My first ever visit to Walt Disney World was in 2001. I was there with a friend and her family for two full and glorious weeks at the Wilderness Lodge. We saw Rick Springfield in concert at House of Blues (they surprised me with tickets because I LOVE HIM.), and had all sorts of fun with character meals, and basically it created a monster. A Disney World loving monster.

Having the opportunity to be an annual pass holder this year is something I never, ever thought would happen for me! And even though the past few months of planning this May trip has been frustrating, I'm ready to dive headlong into this solo trip!

So there you go! Welcome to Me!

Over the next few weeks I'll talk about dining and fast passes and all the craziness and changes that have occurred so far! I'll probably also go on a shopping binge for new park shirts, so there will be posts about that too.

Thanks for bearing with me and getting through the introduction post! I know we're all really here for Disney, and it's coming soon, I promise!

Have a great weekend everyone!!

Last edited:
Ugh, changing her mind after tickets and airline were purchased would drive me nuts! Long term seems better for you though. Looking forward to following the planning!

Right?!? We've lost that companion ticket now, which makes me mad!

I'm so glad you're here to follow along! The plans got all messed up, but I'm getting them straightened out and ready to share :-):-)

Love getting to know the "actual individual" who is the S of xlsm! And you're a theater nerd to boot? I knew there was a reason I liked you! I've got a soft spot for Wicked, myself, as well as the great Lin-Manuel. I'm a big Next to Normal fan, as well as many others. We're hoping to get a day or two in NYC on the way home from the Disneymoon to catch a show or two. I've got a friend/acquaintance working on the production team of a show called Dear Evan Hansen on Broadway right now, and I'm also interested in Come From Away since it's set in Newfoundland, Canada, and we're proud Canadian folk. We'll see how things pan out.

Yay you're doing a PTR!

Oh my gosh, I can't believe MIL ended up backing out of the trip! Well I am sure thats for the best after all the trouble she has been giving you. And yay for still getting to go!

It was nice hearing more about you :)

I can't wait to see what plans you have in store for yourself!

Love getting to know the "actual individual" who is the S of xlsm! And you're a theater nerd to boot? I knew there was a reason I liked you! I've got a soft spot for Wicked, myself, as well as the great Lin-Manuel. I'm a big Next to Normal fan, as well as many others. We're hoping to get a day or two in NYC on the way home from the Disneymoon to catch a show or two. I've got a friend/acquaintance working on the production team of a show called Dear Evan Hansen on Broadway right now, and I'm also interested in Come From Away since it's set in Newfoundland, Canada, and we're proud Canadian folk. We'll see how things pan out.

I know, I'm a real person, isn't it amazing?? :rotfl2: It's so easy to get caught up in my mom-ness that I put a lot of myself on the back burner.

Oh, I hope you get to see a show in NYC! That's a dream of mine. I catch traveling Broadway series shows from time to time, but not as often as I'd like. That would be a great way to end your Disneymoon!!

Yay you're doing a PTR!

Oh my gosh, I can't believe MIL ended up backing out of the trip! Well I am sure thats for the best after all the trouble she has been giving you. And yay for still getting to go!

It was nice hearing more about you :)

I can't wait to see what plans you have in store for yourself!

I know :sad2: It's crazy.

I told DH when all of this started happening that I was going no matter what!! We were trying to figure out a way for him to join me for part of the week, but flights are just not priced well from our home airport. But that's ok, because I plan to have a lot of fun all by myself!

I'm pretty sure most people I know in everyday life think I'm a total weirdo, but I really don't care, LOL!

Following along AGAIN...LOVE the White Snake reference in your title!!!!

Hooray!! I'm glad to see you!!

Full disclosure...I have been thinking how I could work the remaining lyrics into chapter titles for this PTR. I can totally make them fit with the Disney thing! Going down the only road I've ever known? This could work, because I know Disney so well!

Like a drifter I was born to walk alone? Yes, because SOLO TRIP.

I've made up my mind, I ain't wastin' no more time?? There's a fast pass chapter title.

I'm ridiculous, LOL!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter