Here Come The Magic Bands!

This is pretty cool I think. Like a PP said, we get a souviner before we leave? Take my money! :rotfl2:

I'm thinking that this could go a step further for those of us staying on-site. We have the bands, which is now your KTTW in our possession before we leave the house so we could, in theory, get an email or a text the day of our trip that says "Room 123 in building X is ready for you" and bypass the check-in counter altogether. You get off the bus or out of your car and head straight to your room, drop off your stuff and start your trip! :thumbsup2

This would be awesome!!!! :thumbsup2

I don't understand sending them before you get there, what if you forget them?

I don't know if this will be they way they do it for resort guests, but AP's are getting both a card and a band and they are supposed to be active at the same time, so you'll be able to use either.

Perhaps they will give you a card when you check in that you'll be able to use instead. I wonder if they'll even have the bands on site; it seems like they will take up a lot of storage space. Cards are considerably less bulky.

An I the only one that sees this and asks how much that cost to do? Or am I just grumpy today?

Random questions

1. Are these waterproof and/or washable? If wearing for 10 days in the FL heat, they will get a bit yucky. Can you wear them to waterparks and swim with them?

2. Will we get a color choice?

3. How adjustable are these? My teen's wrist is very, very tiny but they'd probably send an adult sized band.

Yes. Water and Sweatproof. This is a big no thanks for me. you sweat and you're wearing that thing?!

Hmmm...

That's a lot of packaging...will be a lot more cost shipping those to all of us...they must expect some sort of payoff in the check in process to justify shipping them in advance, no?

Logistically speaking, I wonder what to do about my kids. Neither will tolerate the band...my son doesn't like tags or even seams in his socks and my daughter at two will see this as a disposable bracelet...but I don't usually have pockets and don't want to keep reaching in and out of the backpack to access...

I suppose I will end up wearing theirs so wonder how that is handled sizing wise...like can I try to have them wear it and if it doesn't work out exchange it for an adult size?

Maybe a RFID tattoo or implant is next for the kiddies ;). Am I the only one wondering what to do with these for kids?

I'm thinking that this could go a step further for those of us staying on-site. We have the bands, which is now your KTTW in our possession before we leave the house so we could, in theory, get an email or a text the day of our trip that says "Room 123 in building X is ready for you" and bypass the check-in counter altogether. You get off the bus or out of your car and head straight to your room, drop off your stuff and start your trip! :thumbsup2

I think that's an excellent idea!!:thumbsup2

I would think you could put them on a strap of your bag, or on a belt loop or something similar. That way you wouldn't have to wear it on the wrist. Wearing it though would make it convienent and faster than fishing for a ticket. Technology can be a good thing folks. Before long, we will wonder what we did without them. ;)

Ooh - these look badass! :) It would be super cool if you could get a mickey tan from them though. I hope some of the pp's are right about somehow, someday bypassing checkin! :cool1:

Random questions

1. Are these waterproof and/or washable? If wearing for 10 days in the FL heat, they will get a bit yucky. Can you wear them to waterparks and swim with them?

2. Will we get a color choice?

3. How adjustable are these? My teen's wrist is very, very tiny but they'd probably send an adult sized band.

They are supposed to be waterproof so water parks and pools aren't a problem. There will be a free band for on site guests and options to upgrade for a price but not sure what yet. They are adjustable and should fit many different size wrists. Hth

An I the only one that sees this and asks how much that cost to do? Or am I just grumpy today?

After I had my "Wow that's cool!" thought one of my next thoughts was "What will the cost be to ship that box to each family?" It kind of circles around to my other thought though. If it costs $10 to ship the box (which I am guessing is high) but allows a guest to skip the check-in process then it could, in theory, save money/time for the resort by having fewer guests checking in regularly and recouping the cost that way.

Keep in mind that Disney is in the money making business. They wouldn't roll out something like this without a way to make a profit in the long run. If it makes things more efficient and thereby gets more people into the parks then that is more people spending money. Time is money, especially at Disney so any way they can streamline things and get you into the parks, restaurants and stores and less time waiting for things is to their benefit as much as it is yours.

Again, thinking about DME and arriving/departing. You have your MagicBand and you approach the bus, wave your band and boom, the driver knows which resort you are at or which airline you are going to, how many people are with you, etc. With that information in a computer a driver could, in theory, have his route adjusted for him to be the most efficient based on who his passengers are. Faster trip to your resort or the airport, fewer stops, etc.

There is a lot of good that could come out of it with the right amount of imagination.

I did just read somewhere that you can reuse them year after year. so that is a bit of a savings I guess - theoretically they only have to mail you one.

eta: I'd love to see something that say, sets of an alarm at security if a child band walks out of the park with another band not in their party. And I have to wonder if this could help locate a missing child - just some thoughts from a nervous mom ;)

Preliminary reports say there will be an option of an RFID ticket instead of the band.

They are waterproof and you'll be able to swim in the wave pool at typhoon lagoon, if you like, without it being adversely affected.

There is an optional insert for children or those with tiny wrists. There are also expansion holes for the fasteners.

This can be customizable--for a fee-- with images and if you like, your name. Some available images are Pirates of the Carribbean theme, Tinkerbelle theme and Incredibles theme. Personally I like the Alice in Wonderland one.

These Magic Bands are meant to be kept and reused from trip to trip. They'll essentially be your room key, charging privileges, ticket to the parks, Fast Pass and will send a signal to characters in the parks to let them identify you, i.e. "Hello Courtney!" "Happy Birthday, Hunter!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!