Helping Katrina's Victims!

luvmygirls

Mouseketeer
O.K. fellow DIS'ers.. Are you up to a challenge?

There are 76,045 members registered to the DIS boards..If each member would give just $5.00 to a charity directly helping Katrina Victims
(like the Red Cross) that would total: $382,025.00!! If you have the means to give something, anything please do so, just make sure you are donating to a reputble charity..

If not a monetary donations, I'm sure many cities will set up donation areas, on our local news last night, they listed several drop off sites thru the different news channels asking for non-perishable things like diapers, toilet paper, water, toothbrushes, toothpaste, the trucks will start leaving today for the south...

Thanks everyone & may those who are directly affected by Katrina have the faith and strength to make it through this tragedy.

Hope I didn't depress anyone, just sitting here thankful for what I have and deciding how I can help our fellow Americans!

Shelly

Thanks for the great idea.

We feel so helpless to the victims of the hurricane.

Imagine...all the Dis-members raising over $300,000. :sunny:
Too cool.

Did my part this morning. Donated to Red Cross!! Come join me!!

Have a Magical Disney Day!!

I am going to make my donation at our local Lowes home store. I think they are supposed to match it!

For some reason my budget board discussion wasn't updating so I completely missed the opening thread on this subject. Yes, if you donate monetarily to someone like Red Cross in the form of a check, specifiy Katrina Relief! Just talked to my 3 dd's (3, 6 today! & 7 y/o) they each had $20.00 to spend at Disney next month, I asked them to think long & hard about everything they already have & should they help out the little kids their age who lost everything except the clothes on their backs.. They all said yes & we agreed upon $5.00 per girl, making $15.00 from my kids & DH & I are going to try & budget for $50.00 if not at least $25.00.
(I can shut off the A/C & open the windows/fans on for a day or 2!)

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS ALREADY HELPED OUT!! Donating blood was another great idea mentioned in the previous thread!

DIS MEMBERS ROCK!
Shelly

Went home last night broke down watching all these images on TV, tried calling Red Cross with my donation and got fast busy signal for 15 minutes straight. I will try again tonight I want to make sure my donation goes directly to the people affected in by the hurricane.

Living in Livingston Parish (Louisiana), we are taking in many of the refugees from New Orleans and surrounding areas. I have 3 families in my personal home at this time. These people have NO WHERE to go. I mean that literally. I met a little girl named Paige yesterday who is 13 months old. Her family lived in St. Bernard Parish, which is totally anialated! She has nothing to go home to...she had a double ear infection and pink eye. They were living in a church shelter in a room with MANY others. I am a teacher in the parish, and we are expecting an influx of people into our schools. They are saying that our population will double if not triple now. There is VERY little gas and what we have is so hard to come by, b/c we have lines wrapping around the stations. It took my husband over an hour to get gas the other day, and it's only getting worse. I cannot tell you enough how much these people need your help. I am seeing this FIRST HAND!!! It is the most unreal thing I have EVER seen or even imagined. In addition to your financial support, which the southeast needs desperately, we also need your prayers. Crime is on the rise, looting in our parish and surrounding areas in unreal. I am afraid for my 2 small girls. We truly need your prayers.

God Bless,
Eva

Sounds like you are right there in the mix of everything, God Bless You for opening your home.. I have a ton of some girls clothing sizes 2t-7/8 that I was going to take to Good Will.. PLEASE PM me, if there is anyone near you in immediate need of girls clothing, I'm willing to package some clothes up & ship them directly to you..

Let me know!
THANK YOU!!
Shelly

luvmygirls said:
Sounds like you are right there in the mix of everything, God Bless You for opening your home.. I have a ton of some girls clothing sizes 2t-7/8 that I was going to take to Good Will.. PLEASE PM me, if there is anyone near you in immediate need of girls clothing, I'm willing to package some clothes up & ship them directly to you..

Let me know!
THANK YOU!!
Shelly

I feel the same way, I don't have a lot but I would be willing to ship anything I can to your area/school/hospital whatever!!!!
I don't know what PM is though ( sorry I'm new )
Please let me know what I can do!!!!!!!!

Here is some info direct from the FEMA website on what to do in situations like this when you want to help!!

www.fema.gov

When Disaster Strikes...Donations Are Needed

How You Can Help

Everyone is moved when they hear the news that disaster has befallen a community. Earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc., can suddenly change the lifestyle of a family, community and country.

Some helpful ways in which you can be of assistance are part of the National Donations Strategy which has been developed by the National Donations Steering Committee composed of federal, stateand local emergency management personnel assisted by private voluntary organizations.

The most effective guidelines for sending in-kind donations to disaster victims are:

Contributions of Cash - Often the Best Donation
Monetary contributions allow the professional relief organizations to purchase exactly what is most urgently needed by disaster victims and to pay for the transportation necessary to distribute the supplies.

Donations of money given to recognized relief organizations are tax deductible and allow the relief supplies to be purchased in locations near the disaster site. This stimulates the economy and ensures the supplies will arrive as quickly as possible.

Confirm the Need
Exactly what is needed can be confirmed by checking with a relief organization on site at the disaster, or by calling the FEMA 800 number or a state 800 donations number set up specifically to provide such information in the emergency. The organizations involved regularly update their information to the coodination office which allows the needs to be made known. Only provide the requests associated with the needs list which is current and appropriate for the victims being served.

Donate Through an Organization
Before starting a collection of goods to send to a disaster site, it is essential to locate a reliable relief organization willing to receive the shipment of donated goods.

Distributing the relief supplies requires personnel and financial resources within the affected area. When unsolicited truckloads of items arrive at a disaster site there is often no place to unload the goods.

This often creates a problem resulting in not being able to utilize the items regardless of the need. To avoid this, designate a relief organization and work with them from start to finish.

Transportation Must be Planned in Advance
Do not assume unsolicited relief supplies will be transported at no charge. Local trucking firms may be willing to help in times of disaster, if funds are available to cover part of the expense.

Some volunteer agencies may have vehicles going to the disaster site and can deliver the donations or they may be able to identify other possible means of providing the donations to the site.

Certain precautions are necessary regarding inventory, shipping restrictions, warehousing of goods. Always work with an identified source to avoid transportation problems.

Donated Items Must be Well Packed and Labeled
It is more efficient when items are sent properly sorted, clearly labeled and ready for distribution. This should be handled in advance at the sending location.

Specific content lists should be taped to the side of each box sent. This allows the receiving officials to determine what is in the box without opening it, plus getting it to the proper distribution location in a timely manner.

Food items, if needed, should be boxed according to instructions provided by the organization with whom the donor is working.

Small Items and Unsorted Clothing May Go to Local Need
Relief organizations maintain prepared stocks of needed items, especially dry goods like clothing that are easy to store. These are usually the first relief supplies to the site.

Unsorted bags of clothing and donations not needed immediately at the disaster site are maintained and handled at the local level. These are often sent to the site at a later time.
The key to an effective donated goods system is to be informed before a disaster arises. Information can be provided through a relief organization

Thanks to generous, well-informed and involved individuals like you, relief organizations can make a real difference in the world.

Volunteers are always needed when disasters occur. It is important that individuals who want to respond to these situations register in the proper manner.

Any relief organization which uses volunteers will have a formal arrangement planned to utilize individuals. Plan ahead to attend training sessions and keep informed of volunteer opportunities.

In a disaster, the volunteer center in your community maintains a list of where volunteers are needed, by what agency, and handles all of the sign-up procedures. This is a coordinated process and allows everyone to serve.

Response and recovery work is often dirty, monotonous, mundane and far from glamorous. Very little individual recognition is noted. Volunteers should be committed to work under such conditions and fit within plans coordinated by the volunteer agencies.

This information is provided by the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (NVOAD).

National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster Website

Members
Adventist Community Services
America's Second Harvest
American Baptist Churches USA
American Disaster Reserve
American Radio Relay League (ARRL, National Association for Amateur Radio)
American Red Cross
AMURT (Ananda Marga Universal Relief Team)
Catholic Charities USA
Christian Disaster Response International
Christian Reformed World Relief Committee (CRWRC)
Church of the Brethren - Emergency Response/Service Ministries
Church World Service
Convoy of Hope
Disaster Psychiatry Outreach
The Episcopal Church
Friends Disaster Service, Inc.
The Humane Society of the United States
International Aid
International Critical Incident Stress Foundation
International Relief Friendship Foundation
Lutheran Disaster Response
Mennonite Disaster Service
Mercy Medical Airlift
National Emergency Response Teams (NERT)
National Organization for Victim Assistance (NOVA)
Nazarene Disaster Response
Northwest Medical Teams International
The Phoenix Society for Burn Survivors
The Points of Light Foundation and Volunteer Center National Network
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
REACT International, Inc.
The Salvation Army
Society of St. Vincent de Paul
Southern Baptist Convention - North American Mission Board
United Jewish Communities
United Church of Christ - Wider Church Ministries
United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR)
Volunteers of America
World Vision

idoteech said:
Living in Livingston Parish (Louisiana), we are taking in many of the refugees from New Orleans and surrounding areas. I have 3 families in my personal home at this time. These people have NO WHERE to go. I mean that literally. I met a little girl named Paige yesterday who is 13 months old. Her family lived in St. Bernard Parish, which is totally anialated! She has nothing to go home to...she had a double ear infection and pink eye. They were living in a church shelter in a room with MANY others. I am a teacher in the parish, and we are expecting an influx of people into our schools. They are saying that our population will double if not triple now. There is VERY little gas and what we have is so hard to come by, b/c we have lines wrapping around the stations. It took my husband over an hour to get gas the other day, and it's only getting worse. I cannot tell you enough how much these people need your help. I am seeing this FIRST HAND!!! It is the most unreal thing I have EVER seen or even imagined. In addition to your financial support, which the southeast needs desperately, we also need your prayers. Crime is on the rise, looting in our parish and surrounding areas in unreal. I am afraid for my 2 small girls. We truly need your prayers.

God Bless,
Eva

You know that’s a really good idea. I have 2 boys at home ages 15 and 13 and we just got them school clothing and both their closets need to be cleaned out. If you need some books, clothing, school supplies, etc. pm me and I will be glad to ship it directly to you!

I am in Arkansas. We have lots of the evacuees here - even a lot in state parks. We are housing one.

I wish I was doing more but my 84 year old dad is in the hospital and I have to spend almost all of my time with him. (I can DIS from my laptop when he sleeps).

I purchases a couple of luxury items recently after coming into some unexpected money - I am returning them and donating the money. I have given money to the person staying with us.

I have a condo in New Orleans that I think has come out okay. There is going to be a terrible housing shortage in New Orleans when they do get back power and water and the flood waters are out. They are going to need places for residents and construction workers to live.

On our radio stations some of the people going down to the camps say one of the things they need besides the basic toothbrushes, water, etc. is bug spray.

Hi, please see if your employers are doing matching donations....Our Company (a health insurance company), which has never done this before, is actually collecting the donations, through our employee volunteer program, and then they will be matching dollar for dollar all of the money before bringing it to the Red Cross.

If your company does not have something set up, make a suggestion.....;)

arminnie said:
I am in Arkansas. We have lots of the evacuees here - even a lot in state parks. We are housing one.
Could you post or PM me a list of what this family needs? I would be more than willing to send anything I can spare directly to you to help them. Just let me know where to send it.

For your genorous offers to help out, it's inspiring & has turned my sadness for this tradgedy into a warm-hearted good feeling about the goodness in my fellow man!!
God Bless!
Shelly

I would love to help out also. If you would like to PM me, I will ship directly to you. Between a close friend and I we have girls and boys ranging in age from 13 to 4. We have clothing, and would be willing to send diapers and wipes, or whatever would help each of you as you reach out.

Thanks for the opportunity. I am sure that even my homeschool group would be willing to pitch in and adopt a family, or yours that we could help thru.

We are praying for you all.

luvmygirls said:
O.K. fellow DIS'ers.. Are you up to a challenge?

There are 76,045 members registered to the DIS boards..If each member would give just $5.00 to a charity directly helping Katrina Victims
(like the Red Cross) that would total: $382,025.00!! If you have the means to give something, anything please do so, just make sure you are donating to a reputble charity..

If not a monetary donations, I'm sure many cities will set up donation areas, on our local news last night, they listed several drop off sites thru the different news channels asking for non-perishable things like diapers, toilet paper, water, toothbrushes, toothpaste, the trucks will start leaving today for the south...

Thanks everyone & may those who are directly affected by Katrina have the faith and strength to make it through this tragedy.

Hope I didn't depress anyone, just sitting here thankful for what I have and deciding how I can help our fellow Americans!

Shelly
Done. :)

Sorry I'm just posting...computer has been crazy. Most of the immediate needs in the people I am dealing with have been met, but the shelters around here are overflowing! They are always in need of toiletries (toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo, etc.). Our church is fundemental in providing many of these items to the local shelters. My parents are actually on their way right now to bring a pregnant woman to meet her husband. They were separated in the storm, but now they will be reunited! That is great! One of the most prominent needs is diapers, wipes, and baby supplies. The babies are NUMEROUS! I cleaned out my girls' closets and spent over $200 on diapers and brought them to a local shelter. It was amazing to see their faces! Everyone is just so grateful. If you need to contact me, please send an email to evaglasscock@cox.net.

Thank you all for your help. May God richly bless you and yours.

Eva

Ok, please do not laugh at me, but i was hoping to be the big winner of the publishers clearing house 10 million on the 31st of August, i was all ready to take myslef and some friends, load up some trucks with everything and head down there, but since i did not win, i will do what i can but it really just breaks my heart, i feel for so many of the people urt by this disaster, they are all in my prayers

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter