Help with where to eat one meal? (for a foodie- but in park attire)

BibbidyBobbidyBoo

<font color=red><br>AKA BIP - Bibbidy is a Pirate
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Going to WDW for one day (disney cruise port of call)
We're planning on being there all day because ofcourse I can't even imagine spending only ONE day at WDW, so I'm certainly not going to cut it into a short day LOL
This means we won't be eating lunch/dinner on the ship.
We can do with one big meal and munching on other things throughout the day before or after that meal.

I was thinking maybe trying to get dinner at BOG but it appears you have to dress up- it says don your finery for a formal dinner, so I'm not sure park attire will be appropriate.

Likewise it appears that Cali Grill we might be a big under dressed (at least somewhat) - although that's something I'd love to do.

So where else could we eat a nice later lunch or dinner where the food is yummy (foodies in our bunch LOL) that it would be ok to attend in your park attire (meaning guys in long shorts- but probably not collared shirts, daughter in shorts or capris, me in capris/sandals but not a super dressy shirt for a park day that's going to be all day without a trip back to the resort that doesn't exist for us on this trip LOL)

This is our first time to go with Chris- so we don't want to cut it short to get back on the ship early enough to have dinner on the ship but I also don't want to just do walk up counter service food all day (in my experience it's not that good at all and way overpriced. We would prefer to pay more for a buffet or sit down lunch or dinner and for the atmosphere/service as well)

So any suggestions? I'm a bit behind on even what restaurants are even around anymore or anything new. Most likely we'll be hanging at Magic Kingdom the entire day but we could venture out to resort restaurants if necessary (similar to Cali Grill) but not something that might take hours to just get there and back by buses. What do you suggest?

BOG is not dressy; there is no dress code. The table next to us was a large group in jeans and bright yellow matching tees. You can't get much more casual than that.

I thought the food was decent for a casual in park restaurant. The building is gorgeous and it's a fun experience.

Ca Grill won't refuse you for wearing shorts and tees. I wouldn't be comfortable dining there in that attire but many do. It's closing for refurbishment though so I'm not sure if its available for your date.

No dress code at BOG. Went opening day in a sweatshirt and jeans :). It was great! Tony's Town Square in MK is always a fave.

I would go to Narcoossee's. You might be a bit underdressed but I don't think they'd refuse you. The food there is pretty good....lobster or surf & turf (and this is coming from a seafood lover). Pricey though if you're not on the dining plan. Skip the apps, I haven't been impressed yet.

It's in GF so you can monorail or take the boat there. Might be a nice way to end your day if you have a really late dinner.

I don't think you mention when you will be there. Be advised that Cali Grill will be closed through the end of August.

As previously mentioned, BOG does not require anything more than park attire. If you read this on an official Disney site, it was just 'advertising hyperbole'.

If your 'foodies' like things a little bit spicy, you might consider Sanaa at AKL. While the menu is a bit limited it is quite adventurous by Disney standards and the quality of the food is very good.

BOG is not dressy; there is no dress code. The table next to us was a large group in jeans and bright yellow matching tees. You can't get much more casual than that.

I thought the food was decent for a casual in park restaurant. The building is gorgeous and it's a fun experience.

Ca Grill won't refuse you for wearing shorts and tees. I wouldn't be comfortable dining there in that attire but many do. It's closing for refurbishment though so I'm not sure if its available for your date.

our cruise 8nts April 26th but I can't remember exactly which day is at WDW. I suppose I better look that up huh LOL

So I gather Cali Grill is gonna be closed....

From all the posts: well it's going to be end of April/beginning of May whatever day it is that we're in WDW (let me go look that up LOL) Okay so it's April 30th. Not sure what the weather will be that day for all of us to be there all day in full length pants or jeans... but if it's warm we won't be. Guys will be in shorts, I'll be in capris, and DD would be in shorts or capris- probably tees of some sort (regular tees or mine will probably be v-neck tee) and tennis shoes or flipflops. We'll have to go in what we'd be comfortable in ALL day from the moment the bus gets us there from the port until we leave later that night. Yanno? It's very different for me as I've never done one day before and never been unable to either take a bus back to our resort midday or anytime we wanted, or able to just drive offsite to eat or whatever.

And by foodie I meant want something that tastes good/good quality.. not that it has to be the fanciest thing in the world.. just not grabbing something at counter service which in my experience isn't the best at MK, but if I'm wrong about that let me know what's good and at what counter service. Also wouldn't want something that takes a LONG time to eat- that's eating into our one day there. I'd say a total of an hour and a half (or less) including wait for table and eating would be ideal.

not on the dining plan- it's just one day included with disney cruise we're on. But no time to go back to the ship (at port) to eat and want at least one good meal that day, the rest can be munching on snacks and such. And by the time we get back to the ship the only thing available will be room service which is quite limited and I'm sure they'll be super busy with everyone coming back and ordering room service. so we can't come back starving to death then wait forever to eat or end up just going to sleep without eating. Not that it's the greatest idea to eat before going to sleep anyway but I know I have sleep issues and a grumbling tummy that sometimes hurts because of ulcer isn't gonna help me sleep LOL

thank you for the ideas- if anyone else has suggestions lemme know! :)

Hi-
We just returned from Disney last month and anyplace you go to eat does not have a dress code except Victoria and Albert's. We wore jeans everyday! The restaurants pretty much expect patrons to show up in comfy, casual attire as many come to eat right from being at the parks. Disney would never refuse you for wearing shorts or capris!
As for dining recommendations sit down at or around MK: Citrico's or Narcoosee's at Grand Floridian, Ohana or Kona at the Poly, The Wave at Contemporary (we love Cali Grill, but will be closed when you are there). Inside MK for sit down: Be Our Guest is a great experience.
We also enjoy counter service and have had great meals at: Pecos Bill, The Lunching Pad and Columbia Harbor House.

I am going back to Disney for a business trip in February and I'm counting down the days!
Have a wonderful time!!

I don't think BOG is fancy and we thought it was very good. But the meal that really impressed us with Hollywood Brown Derby at DHS. We had several apps, including cobb salad, pork chop entree, several drinks, and a couple of desserts and the food, drinks, and service were absolutely surprisingly divine.

We were on a Disney cruise last August that did the same thing. We decided we were starting the day at MK and ended up at Epcot. So we booked a 430 dinner at via Napoli, a new restaurant for us.

It was a long, exhausting, summer day and with kids in tow, I think we wished we would have just done a few CS during the day, and then something when we got back to the boat. Or maybe we should have done a TS for breakfast then have the rest of the day free to do whatever.

Good luck and have fun on your WDW day!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

yes, if you have one day- just spend it at the magic kingdom. BOG does not require fancy attire, and will likely be a decent, if not inspiring meal. There really are no great meals in the magic kingdom. There are great meals easily traveled to from the mk- Citricos, Narcoses, and victoria and alberts are all a monorail ride away at the grand floridian, the wave and California grill (if open) at the contemporary, the poly's Kona cafe and ohannas- while not haute cuisine are nice choices, and just a relaxing boat ride away is Artist Point at the wilderness lodge!

If the magic kingdom isn't the main goal...then go to epcot...you could easliy skip a formal meal and snack (and maybe drink) your way around the world showcase!!!! or make a reservation in Paul Boscue's, or for a great steak }the Canada pavillion Le Cellier, or a short walk away the Yachtsmans steakhouse, or Don Shula's steakhouse over in the Dolphin hotel...also at the Dolphim=n is Todd English's Bluezoo, and at the neighboring Swan an outlet of on of NY's best italian places Il Mullino....Walk a bit more around cresent lake to Disney's Boardwalk and you have the chance to eat with an Iron Chef...Kat Kourinnas "kouzinna" serves great Mediterranean flavors!

Well I gotta figure something out.
We're not planning on park hopping- eats up too much of our time for that one day.
Cali Grill isn't open then.
BOG shows NOTHING available -no times at all for that day- for April 26th. That's just on the my disney experience app- has anyone experienced that showing no openings yet calling they were able to get an ADR?
I fear that probably a LOT of people on the cruise booked that restaurant- probably a lot on the cruise are only doing MK that day LOL Ugh so bummed! What else is there? We've done the restaurants at GF and Poly and honestly weren't that fond of them (except for the character themed meals at 1900 Park Fare but the kids are too old to pay for it just for the characters LOL)
sigh

We're not planning on park hopping- eats up too much of our time for that one day.
BOG shows NOTHING available -no times at all for that day- for April 26th. That's just on the my disney experience app- has anyone experienced that showing no openings yet calling they were able to get an ADR?
I fear that probably a LOT of people on the cruise booked that restaurant- probably a lot on the cruise are only doing MK that day LOL Ugh so bummed! What else is there? We've done the restaurants at GF and Poly and honestly weren't that fond of them (except for the character themed meals at 1900 Park Fare but the kids are too old to pay for it just for the characters LOL)
sigh

You know that BOG is a counter service for lunch, right? You get to dine inside the castle and food is brought to you after you order at a kiosk. It maybe not "foodie" enough but is a step above other counter service from reviews

sigh

Liberty tree tavern lunch or dinner. doesn't have characters.

The Wave in the Contemporary.

sigh

Yep, my DH and I just recently booked a trip with my parents for April 6-13th and we started looking for BOG ADR's....some days had absolutely nothing and others had one time 9 pm! We currently have an ADR at 9 pm for a party of 5 on 4/10. We're all adults, so we would rather eat late than miss out! Good luck, maybe just keep looking and something else will pop up?? That's my plan too haha!

Liberty Tree for lunch only, I do not care for dinner there! BOG for lunch & dinner (had a great experience in Nov) The Wave for dinner, we finally tried it in Aug and we all liked it! When you say you don't want to park hop, would you consider taking the monorail to GF, Polynesian, etc., maybe something is available at some of those resort restaurants!

of needing a meal in the M Karea...but BOG being booked,and NOT needing a character meal....

"Signature Dinning" other than Vic and Alberts, there are several Sig locations- Citricos and Nrcossess at the GF, Cali Grill at the contemp might be under remodeling) and Wildernes Pointe at WL. All offer a top notch meal (and price tag)

There are also high quality place at these resorts such as The Wave at the contempt, Kona Cafa and Ohannas at the poly, and the GF cafe at th gf.,...you can get a breat meal at any of these locations.

Tell us more about what you are looking for and we could give better advice!

What about The Wave? It is at the Contemporary. We have always had a good meal there.

We like Kona at the Poly and the Grand Floridian Cafe. Both yummy and easy to get to from the MK.

Just came back from the World and had some great meals!

We dressed for dinner most of the time...but found everyone else didn't necessarily...sometimes we felt overdressed!

On the last big dinner night, the monorail broke down and we couldn't get back to our hotel to change so we had to go straight to Cali Grill without changing. And it was our League of Pirates day!

So three pirates (son, husband and uncle) and myself showed up, expecting to be turned away. Surprisingly, we weren't! Some patrons were amused,others probably weren't. We expected to be stuck in the farthest corner of the restaurant, but we had a great table, right in the center of the restaurant. My son got lots of attention. (He did make a great Captain Hook!)

The staff was so nice and understanding...it is Disney, after all!

Jrail broke down and we couldn't get back to our hotel to change so we had to go straight to Cali Grill without changing. And it was our League of Pirates day!

So three pirates (son, husband and uncle) and myself showed up, expecting to be turned away. !

Now that's a Disney memory you'll talk about till you're old and grey! How funny, Rrr! :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter