help with planning Alaska cruise

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
we were on our Med cruise in Sept we took advantaged of booking while on board

we booked 9-3-18 as it was most affordable

now though were getting alittle worried about the weather in Alaska at that time of year mostly chilly and rainy

we were told we could change our cruise one time and keep all the benefits

so Ive been playing around with some dates and came up with
5-28-18 cat 9A just like we have now --just taking the 10% off whats listed on the website its about $300 more then were paying now but it should be a little lower cause we booked almost 2 months ago and our cruise already went up over $400--if that all makes sense

my main question is --is there much of a difference in the weather between Sept and May

any input on this and any other tips would be greatly appreciated

thanks all

We went the first week of June and we had unbelievably gorgeous weather our 4 days precruise in Vancouver. The cruise however was seriously cold. The scenery though is unbelievable and I would go back in a heartbeat, cold, rainy or sunny. We have already talked about it and would like to go again but in September. You will enjoy it, I promise!

I would keep the September cruise. Alaska weather is so unpredictable. It can be cold and rainy one day and then sunny and warm the next. We have been twice in July and even then, had weather all over the place. We have never taken an Alaska cruise early in the season, but I know that the earlier you go the better the chance that ice will impact your itinerary - especially in Tracy Arm. We once went for 2 weeks at the end of August / early September and it was beautiful. It was a little cold at times, but not that rainy. That was a strictly land based trip and we were further north than you will go on a cruise, but the fall colors were incredible. The tundra was turning this vibrant red color. I'm not sure if you will experience that in the inside passage, but I really would not stress about the weather.

Take layers and rain gear, and then just go with the flow. Alaska is incredible.

If you change cruises you will pay the price of what is listed today not what it was when you booked originally.

Definitely colder in May. Sept is when the temp starts changing back to cold. However, it can be cold and rainy anytime in Alaska. I'd keep your dates or switch to July if you are truly worried about the weather. It won't be as bad as you think in Sept, or even May. Light jacket weather and an umbrella.

You can check out the personal navigators for temperatures. I was on the Sept. 4 one, it started off warm (60's) but then ended up cold (50's). However, even when it was cold, it would alternate between full rain storm, to cloudy, to sunny, and back again. However, note that it was warmer in September for Skagway and Juneau. However, it was warmer in May for Ketchikan. However, note that it was in the 50s in July for Juneau, even if it was in the 60s in July for Skagway and Ketchikan. However, check out August - 70s!

You can see the personal navigators for May 22 here: http://disneycruiselineblog.com/201...7-night-alaskan-cruise-vancouver-may-22-2017/

You can see the personal navigators for Sept. 4 here: http://disneycruiselineblog.com/201...ht-alaskan-cruise-vancouver-september-4-2017/

Just for kicks, you can see other personal navigators here: http://disneycruiselineblog.com/cruise-planning/itineraries/sail-date-summary/?saildate=4134

We were on the second-to-last Alaska cruise this year (Aug 28-Sept 4), first two days were beautiful sunshine, Juneau, Skagway and glacier day were chillier and rainy and Ketchikan was 70F+ and sunny! Last sea day was also sunny. It really is unpredictable.

We did the last Alaska cruise a few years ago. The weather was nice, but it’s still Alaska so you dress in layers and spend the day alternating between stripping layers off and then putting them back.

The nice thing with September is that we saw more calving since we were nearing the end of the melt season and the waters weren’t blocked by ice (you still see lots and lots of ice but the waterways are free for ship traffic.)

We LOVED our September Alaskan cruise. First week of Sept like you. Only had one day of rain, and it was light in Ketchikan. Other days were chilly, but not cold. Perfect! We also got to see ALOT of bears, which i understand are not as easy to see in May.

thanks for all the grea replies--this has been so helpful were just going to keep what we have planned

cant wait especially after hearing seeing the animals

we were on our Med cruise in Sept we took advantaged of booking while on board

we booked 9-3-18 as it was most affordable

now though were getting alittle worried about the weather in Alaska at that time of year mostly chilly and rainy

we were told we could change our cruise one time and keep all the benefits

so Ive been playing around with some dates and came up with
5-28-18 cat 9A just like we have now --just taking the 10% off whats listed on the website its about $300 more then were paying now but it should be a little lower cause we booked almost 2 months ago and our cruise already went up over $400--if that all makes sense

my main question is --is there much of a difference in the weather between Sept and May

any input on this and any other tips would be greatly appreciated

thanks all
I don't know who told you can only change your cruise one time, but that is fake news. You can change your cruise as many times as you want....you could call five times a day and change your cruise if you want to.
We went in September had 80 degree weather in Vancouver and the on the first sea day. Followed by cloudy, rainy, sunny days the rest of the cruise. I talked to numerous crew members and locals and they said the weather is pretty much the same all season. It rains about everyday, but it's a generally a light rain. Mosquitos go away in August. Days are shorter in September. You may not be able to get to glacier in May because of ice. We were able to get really close to glacier in September.

I would go when its cheapest and not worry about the weather in Alaska. We've been to Vancouver twice on labor day weekend and it's been a balmy 80 degrees. If you plan on spending time in Vancouver that would be my pick. Vancouver will be colder in May.

Thoughts....

* May will give you more daylight (16 vs 13 hours in Sept for Ketchikan), September offers statistically more rain.

* May to July is Alaska's dry season, August starts to get wet before the September storms

* May is more likely to see Tracy Arm clogged with ice... Endicott is substituted with the Dawas glacier.

Hope you have your Vancouver pre-cruise hotel secured.... it's a long weekend and prices spike. Look for savings in Vancouver hotels post-cruise. Tourist attractions are quieter too.

I've done a cruise in mid-August and the first repo of the season in late April into May. We were lucky to have nice weather on both - no rain. We saw plenty of wildlife on both (including bears). Clothing ranged from long sleeve shirts to being bundled up by the glaciers. As mentioned, it's Alaska and weather can be unpredictable. We're going back the last week of August 2018 and are making plans without regard to the weather, hoping for the best. Alaska is amazing and you will love it no matter when you go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!