Help with Key West, Grand Cayman and Cozumel

Mindibellcm

DIS Veteran
I am usually obsessive with planning our vacations but I have let our cruise sneak up on me. Our window to book excursions will open in 6 days and I have not started planning! I NEED your HELP badly.

We are a family of 4 and not been to any of the stops except CC. It will be myself, DH, DD (3) and DS (8). We want to snorkel so I think I will need to book excursions on our own because know of Disney's let 3 years go. She may not actually snorkel but she can swim with us. I have looked at a few private ones that allow children of all ages.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for these 3 places. I would like to do some beach time and some snorkeling time. I might be interested in some of the sub tours as well. I think that I really want to snorkel in Grand Cayman. I am thinking about maybe the train ride in Key West.

Thanks.

Mindi

Instead of the train tour in Key West, you may want to do the tram tour. The tram tour allows you to get off and on the tram to tour at various stops while the train is just a straight tour. It has been a few years, but we purchased our tickets for the tour in Key West rather than through DCL. It was less expensive that way.

We took the Atlantis sub excursion in Grand Cayman a few years ago. It was too cool! We purchased the tickets for that excursion through Atlantis rather than DCL also. It was less expensive. I don't know if that is still the case now. It was about $15 less expensive for children to purchase directly from Atlantis. The adult price was the same as that offered through DCL.

My kids will be 10 and 5 when we cruise in Oct. We are considering the Seaworld semi-sub in Grand Cayman. I chose this one because it goes by 2 shipwrecks, and DS10 will love seeing those. In Cozumel, we are planning to go see the San Gervasio ruins, then go to Paradise Beach for the remainder of the day. Paradise Beach is free, and has a bar, restaurant, and facilities. If you want to use chairs and umbrellas, they ask you spend $10 at the bar. They also have floating trampoline and iceberg, non-motorized water toys, etc for $10 wristband for the day. Key West we are thinking to rent either mopeds or an electric car, and tour on our own. My kids would like the pirate museum and lighthouse. DH and I want to see Southernmost point and Kino Sandal factory. Hope that helps some!

I can only speak for the ones that I have done, which are Rays, Reef & Rum Point in GC with NativeWay. We did this last September & December, and had a blast each time!! They are fantastic with the kids and help them if they are scared. We're looking forward to doing this one again in December! :thumbsup2

Also, we usually go to Nachi Cocum in Cozumel, and it is fantastic! So private, it's wonderful to not have to deal with a crowded pool or beach. The food is great too. Just a great day.

I do agree that you take the tram in Key West. We did this twice last year too and got off several times for shopping, Hemingway's House, etc. It is a great way to learn about the island.

Have a great time whatever you decide!! :)

Another vote for Nativeway in Grand Cayman. Aside from Castaway Cay, it was the highlight of our Western cruise. The employees were great with kids, making sure that everyone had some time with the rays.

We also went to Paradise Beach in Cozumel. Very clean, beautiful, kid-friendly. Great food and great drinks!

I can't give you any advice on Key West because we really didn't do anything but walk up & down Duval St, then get back onto the Magic.

Chankanaab in Cozumel is a very nice place. It is very easy to get to by cab. They have a swimming pool, swimming lagoon for the kids and plenty of area for snorkeling, a couple of restaurants and walking trails through replica ruins. They also have dolphin encounters that the whole family can participate in. You can literally spend the entire day there.

The park was very clean and the view of the ocean was beautiful.

I also second taking the Old Trolley tour on Key West, but don't book through DCL. We saw a lot of the island without having to walk it all.

We used Captain Marvins in GC and had a blast. Small group of 10-12 and crew was great.

I am so glad that someone asked this question. I am going next spring with DH and we were wondering what to do in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We will be traveling with no kids. :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

Chankanaab in Cozumel is a very nice place. It is very easy to get to by cab. They have a swimming pool, swimming lagoon for the kids and plenty of area for snorkeling, a couple of restaurants and walking trails through replica ruins. They also have dolphin encounters that the whole family can participate in. You can literally spend the entire day there.

The park was very clean and the view of the ocean was beautiful.

I also second taking the Old Trolley tour on Key West, but don't book through DCL. We saw a lot of the island without having to walk it all.

Is it easy to get a taxi back to the ship from Chankanaab?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter