Help Us Pick the Next DIS Book Club Selection! POLL ADDED!

Which book should be the next selection for the DIS Book Club?

• A Discovery of Witches

• The Hunger Games

Results are only viewable after voting.

*NikkiBell*

Livin’ that DVC & AP life!
Summer is here and it's time for another great read! We are currently taking suggestions for our next book club selection. In the past we have read:

• Pirate Latitudes
    [*]The Help
    [*]House Rules
    [*]Wild Ride
    [*]The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
    [*]Fall of Giants
    [*]Juliet

Post here if you have a title in mind and why you think it would be good for our book club. Remember that the book should appeal the majority and does not have to be Disney-related.

UPDATE: I have added a poll of the two books that came up the most during our discussion here. Please vote for your favorite. I'll close the poll by tomorrow night. :)

I hope I get to participate this time. I have always shown up to late to join the party before. I have a list of books that I want to read but they aren't always a big library selection. However one of the ones on the list I have heard is being made into a movie with the guy from House. It is Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones.

I hope I get to participate this time. I have always shown up to late to join the party before. I have a list of books that I want to read but they aren't always a big library selection. However one of the ones on the list I have heard is being made into a movie with the guy from House. It is Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones.

I'd be up for that one!

I am currently rereading Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy!

Don't forget your towel! :thumbsup2

"Unbroken", by Laura Hillenbrand, was fantastic!!

I also highly recommend "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls.

I have just bought the book Wicked

and

I love any philippa Gregory novels, she wrote about Henry the 8th. Though the book about Anne of Cleeves and Katherine is a little hard to follow.

I am currently reading Snodgrass Vacation. ( I just created a thread before I saw this one. oops!) It is very funny and Dis'ers will pick up the obviously familiar theme....;)

It is $.99 on a Nook and FREE if you have a Kindle.

just my 2 cents..............pirate latitudes was pretty good......the title says it all. it was found on michael crichton's laptop after his death...........fall of giants is gathering dust in my room (got it before my kindle) got through about 25% of it........... just your typical international soap.

I have already read it but The Help is a great choice!

I also LOVED Room.

I am reading ROOM right now and the book I just finished before that was THE HELP.

I would recommend both. At least so far I like ROOM. I"m over half way through.

I have also read WICKED and many other books in that series. I have also read my Phillipa Gregory books.

One series I really enjoyed was the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon (sp?)

I am reading ROOM right now and the book I just finished before that was THE HELP.

I would recommend both. At least so far I like ROOM. I"m over half way through.

I have also read WICKED and many other books in that series. I have also read my Phillipa Gregory books.

One series I really enjoyed was the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon (sp?)

I just finished Outlander and immediately downloaded the second book. I agree, this was a fantastic read! :thumbsup2

It is always so challenging picking a book for our club because there are so many different tastes. These are great suggestions, but I don't see any commonalities. Personally, I had three that I was interested in. Would anyone else like to read them?

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

This book is actually being made into a movie and should be out this year. I realize that it technically falls in the adolescent lit category (like Twilight, Percy Jackson,and Harry Potter, all books adults enjoy), but know that it is currently becoming a big favorite amongst grown up readers. I'm eager to see what all of the hype is about. Click here for the official book trailer.

A Discover of Witches by Deborah Harkness

This was recommended to me by a friend and is gaining quite a bit of popularity. Amazon chose it as its #1 book for the month of February. Apparently it is the first in a trilogy and has an interesting storyline:

It all begins with a lost manuscript, a reluctant witch, and 1,500-year-old vampire. Dr. Diana Bishop has a really good reason for refusing to do magic: she is a direct descendant of the first woman executed in the Salem Witch Trials, and her parents cautioned her be discreet about her talents before they were murdered, presumably for having "too much power." So it is purely by accident that Diana unlocks an enchanted long-lost manuscript (a book that all manner of supernatural creatures believe to hold the story of all origins and the secret of immortality) at the Bodleian Library at Oxford, and finds herself in a race to prevent an interspecies war.

Click here for more info and two author videos.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

I only think it's fit that we read HP 1 at one point before DISapalooza. Is that time now or should we wait until right before the event?

It is always so challenging picking a book for our club because there are so many different tastes. These are great suggestions, but I don't see any commonalities. Personally, I had three that I was interested in. Would anyone else like to read them?

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

This book is actually being made into a movie and should be out this year. I realize that it technically falls in the adolescent lit category (like Twilight, Percy Jackson,and Harry Potter, all books adults enjoy), but know that it is currently becoming a big favorite amongst grown up readers. I'm eager to see what all of the hype is about. Click here for the official book trailer.

A Discover of Witches by Deborah Harkness

This was recommended to me by a friend and is gaining quite a bit of popularity. Amazon chose it as its #1 book for the month of February. Apparently it is the first in a trilogy and has an interesting storyline:

Click here for more info and two author videos.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

I only think it's fit that we read HP 1 at one point before DISapalooza. Is that time now or should we wait until right before the event?

I agree it is difficult to pick books when there are so many different reading / writting styles. I was thinking of something that I had not already read since that is normally how a book club would work. I've read so many of the books that have been suggested and could do a discussion still.

I do want to read the Discovery of Witches, too. I've heard it was pretty good. Here are a few other books that I have on my "would like to read" list:

The Grave Yard Book
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie
The Possibilility of Everything
Waiting for Columbus
The Bean Trees
Mudbound
The Color of Water
The Story of Your Life
The Tower, the Zoo and the Tortoise

I am currently rereading Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy!

Don't forget your towel! :thumbsup2

I just re-read that book too! I have all four in one book. I'm currently trying to talk my son in to reading it. So funny! :rotfl2:

This summer I have been reading mysteries. I've never read Sue Grafton or James Patterson, so I picked up a few of those to check out and read one from each and also John Saul. I also have a few of Clive Cussler.

If you all decide to read a mystery I'll be there. I never heard of that witch one but it could be interesting. The books I will sit out for are "relationship" books with no action, adventure, or excitment. I know a lot of women like them, but I find them boring. :confused3

I'd be interested in The Hunger Games...need to finish up Freedom first...regardless of which is the final choice, what date do you anticipate getting started?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter