Help/Tips for Running with Allergies/Asthma

bgenew1

Mouseketeer
I am a new runner that took the C25K class at my church last summer. Due to my allergies and some asthma I still can not run the entire 3 miles of a 5K. I due use an inhaler before racing. I alternate some running and walking and generally finish around 45 min.

I am doing the Royal Family 5K in March and would like me time to be better. Any tips on how to build myself up would be greatly appreciated.

P.s. I do have a treadmill and am going to try and be better about using it during the week.

the biggest gains you can get following a C25K will come from endurance. Basically you'll want to try to get in a long workout once a week which is where you'll get the main gains from. So if for instance you've been doing 1.5 miles a day 5 days a week, instead make one of those days 2 or 2.5 miles. You're only goal here would be to finish that distance, and when you finish it maybe have just a little tiny bit more. You dont want to be exhausted at the end.

Try to keep this pace so you can talk to the person next to you in full sentences. This will help gradually improve your asthma and allergies. Go figure when I started out the thing that gave me a big boost back in highschool was winter training for track, and doing it outdoors. The allergies shouldnt be a problem in that situation as most allergens during the winter are the indoor kind, and while the asthma may suck a little, after a couple weeks of coughing i was pretty much good to go. Obviously be careful and dont hurt yourself. Wear bright colors, dont go out on super busy streets.

I have exercise induced asthma so my experiances might be different form yours...I take my inhaler before I run which works well for me, also when the air is cold I keep my mouth covered.
I would say if you are still having problems running you might need to see your doctor agian, maybe you need a different medication.

yes! i have pretty severe allergies which has resulted in allergic asthma so i definetly feel free your pain. i've always had bad allergies, but about 2 years ago they got so out of control i couldn't exercise for 6 months...and that's when i decided to get treated. now i'm able to run half marathons with no walk breaks...so with proper treatment it's 100 percent doable (at least in my case). the most important thing is to find an allergist who is familiar with running/exercise so she or he can put you on a proper regimen so you can be able to function normally. i use a few nasal sprays, and a "controller" inhaler twice a day. it is alot of drugs, but it's better than taking the over the counter pills (i'm so sensitive to drugs..they make me so zombish). the controller eliminates the need for an emergency inhaler (although i do have one just in case), and really allows me to exercise to my full ability.

when you're running...it's just really important to warm up and start out slower than usual and gradually build. i'll do a walking warm-up, and then especially for my long runs, it really takes me a mile to get into my groove out on the road. it's too harsh on your lungs to start too fast. and of course listen to your body and walk if you need. also i find that drinking water, maybe more than most, helps me too.

also i would 100 percent think about getting allergy shots since it's really the only treatment that actually works to "cure" (not that is a real cure for allergies) rather than drugs to control the symptoms. but talk to your allergist and see if it's right for you!

Thanks for the replies. The cold air does seem to effect me more and slow me down. I am also going to try walking first to warm up before starting to run.

Though I would like to be somewhat faster and be able to run more than I walk, I keep telling myself at least I am trying and I do finish!

I'm in the same boat (allergies and asthma). I'm hoping that weight loss will help, as I was asthma free for about 20 years, but it crept back after my weight crept up (after my pregnancy 7 years ago).

It's a real catch 22. I'd like to lose weight to get healthier, but the level of exercise I can do is hindered because of my weight. Oh well, slow and steady has to be my approach.

Remember slow and steady wins the race! My breathing (or lack of) hinders what I can do too. But I keep trying and I do complete the 5Ks I have been doing. Just be proud of what you can do and remember alot of people don't make an effort at all.

I feel you! I have battled allergies and asthma for years. With Advair and Maxair inhalers, plus Zyrtec, I can run most of the year. But in the fall, when my seasonal allergies are at their peak, I can't run. It stinks! I have to take about 2 1/2 months off from running. I'm able to take walks in the fall, but even walking brings on asthma sometimes.
I am planning to change doctors, because there must be some cocktail of drugs that can keep me running year round. One of the docs in town is a marathon runner, so I think she may be able to help me. My advice for both of us: find the right doctor!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter