~HELP~ Science Fair Time... again

dreamscometrue

Mouseketeer
Hard to believe that it is science fair time again... looking for some ideas for a 7th grader.
Last year he did one to see the type of solution that cleaned pennies the best. My daughter did one a few years back to see which stain remover broke down proteins the best.
Looking for one he will enjoy doing so I can be less involved. LOL

All suggestions are appreciated : )

THANKS
~

One that has been popular with middle schoolers at my school is about growing plants with different variables.
  • water vs. soda
  • plain water vs. fizzy water
  • direct sunlight vs. indirect sunlight
  • sunlight vs. lamps
  • sandy soil vs. soil from store
  • oh, and my favorite, do plants grow taller or faster if exposed to music for certain amounts of time

we just did our yesterday, first grade so keep that in mind. His was a take on the mento's exploding coke. He tested a bunch of different candy to see what they did. Older kids could definitely expand on this and really build a hypothesis and test it. (different kids of pop, different candy types etc).

Let's see, we've done... 1) which toothpaste kills more bacteria - pretty easy but you have to get agar and grow the cultures, 2) built a lightbulb out of a mason jar, 3) properties of a non-Newtonian compound (look up oobleck on-line) Good luck!

Ugh! how I dread this time of year!!!!

Last year my 3rd grader did "who's mouth is cleaner: Man vs. Dog?" We swabbed kids and dogs (yes, went to neighbors houses asking to swab...lol)

My 5th grader did "Double Dip If you Dare"...We prepared onion dip and put in in different bowls...one just dip and swabbed, another he dipped a chip in it and then swabbed, and the other he sat there a double dipped away and then swabbed.

We had a spit theme around here! The petri dishes were pretty inexpensive on line and the boys were into it. Preparing the reports and display board was another story!

Thanks, we are looking to the science fair again this year. Last year my 4th grader did the experiment regarding blowing up balloons using vinegar and baking soda. It was pretty cool, we went to our old fashioned candy store in town called Rocket Fizz and bought a couple old fashioned pop in the old glass bottles (so we can use them for the experiment). It was really fun!:thumbsup2

Alot of kids here so alot of experiments, this year:

4th grader: Does the shape of an ice cube change how fast it melts?

6th grader: Does packaging affect the carbonation of soda (used Coke)

7th grader: Can you make hot ice cream? This project was a bust, but he and his friend came up with the idea, process, everything themselves so his mom and I let them run with it, I think it was a good learning experience, but they did a poor job on presenting it. His original idea was to see if phiton (sp?) necklaces really work, he was going to survey the players that wear them and have the other players wear a placebo and some nothing at all, but he changed his mind.

Last year:

5th grader: What will take the head off of root beer? (tried putting a little milk, salt, water and sugar in the bottom of a glass to see which one would keep it from fizzing) That one was fun and ds also tested to see if the ingredients affected the flavor, lol.

6th grader: Which style of paper airplane will fly the farthest?

8th grader: I can't remember, something to do with a balloon on a string and how far it would travel.

My son did one that required no experimentation at all just lots of study - Nuclear Fusion vs. Nuclear Fission. His teacher loved it because no one tackles the subject. He did models of fusion and fission breaking apart using styrofoam balls for the atoms and illustrated they way break apart. He also included an analysis of the types of nuclear waste left over by the breaking of the various radioactive atoms and how it is dealt with. Lots of research and some really detailed info on the panels but no experimentation.

ETA - he got an A+ on this assignment.

One of my son's friends did an experiment playing Mario Kart for the Wii. He analyzed his and his friends' scores to determine if you are a better driver if you focus on driving, talk on the phone while playing the wii, or texting while playing the wii. My son was invited to participate in the experiment. I thought it was a great idea!

One of my son's friends did an experiment playing Mario Kart for the Wii. He analyzed his and his friends' scores to determine if you are a better driver if you focus on driving, talk on the phone while playing the wii, or texting while playing the wii. My son was invited to participate in the experiment. I thought it was a great idea!

Now there's one I've never seen.

If you Google science fair project ideas there's probably lots of ideas out there. DS did one with dishwashing detergent. The brand he determined was the best is no longer made. :sad1:

1. Quicksand - my DS got to make it and they kids all played with it. They loved it.

2. Do people prefer the taste of organic food to non-organic. - Just did blind taste tests of several different items ie: apples, tomatoes, "oreos", wheat crackers, turkey.

3. Which takes gum out of hair the easiest. - Of course, for this one someone has to get a haircut. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter