Help - ok to use diesel in a heating oil furnace?

It'sWDW4me

<font color=green>Fairly new... still gets a tag :
My brother just called. His furnace stopped working and he's pretty sure he's out of fuel. He called the oil company but it would cost $400 for them to just come out today. :scared1: I've looked online and found that, in a pinch, you can use automotive diesel fuel in your home heating oil furnace.

Is this true? Has anyone done it?

The hope is that the delivery charge won't be so steep if he can limp along on diesel for the night and get them to come out during the week vs the weekend.

My brother just called. His furnace stopped working and he's pretty sure he's out of fuel. He called the oil company but it would cost $400 for them to just come out today. :scared1: I've looked online and found that, in a pinch, you can use automotive diesel fuel in your home heating oil furnace.

Is this true? Has anyone done it?

The hope is that the delivery charge won't be so steep if he can limp along on diesel for the night and get them to come out during the week vs the weekend.

We use it in our oil furnace, DH says its called dyed diesel fuel. Our local gas station sells it.

ETA: DH says you have to use a yellow gas can to haul it, not red.

We use it in our oil furnace, DH says its called dyed diesel fuel. Our local gas station sells it.

ETA: DH says you have to use a yellow gas can to haul it, not red.

Interesting about the can. Looked prices on 5 gallon cans for him on Home Depot.com. I saw the red, blue (kerosene) and yellow cans but we assumed it was just a color code system for types of fuels. Is there a difference in the gas can's make?

I'm sure you have figured it out already yes diesel fuel is fine, but someone will need to "bleed"the furnace once the fuel is added. If he doesn't know how that could be a problem.

I ran out of oil one time on a Friday night. Called our oil delivery people to see about getting an emergency delivery. The woman who answered informed me that it would be a $100 charge to come out. I said that's fine, I understand. Then she goes on to say, "Or if you want, go get 10 gallons of diesel and that will hold you over until we can come out on Monday." Never knew until then you could use diesel. I don't know haw many times we fell back on that one. :rolleyes1

Interesting about the can. Looked prices on 5 gallon cans for him on Home Depot.com. I saw the red, blue (kerosene) and yellow cans but we assumed it was just a color code system for types of fuels. Is there a difference in the gas can's make?

No, the only difference is the color for identification.

You can also use kerosene in an oil furnace. My parents use to buy that to hold them over when they ran out of oil. They have also used diesel fuel. As a pp said the furnace will need to be bled since you ran completely out.

There is a BIG difference between Home heating oil what they call #2 and kerosene. Kerosene works in all instances but #2 does not.
Not a big deference between Kerosine and diesel fuel mostly just diesel has no die in it and is taxed for on road use but there is some because if you have a large number of diesel burning equipment they do sell an off road diesel.

When you order fuel for your oil tank you need to order kerosene for an outdoor tank #2 heating oil can gel up in cold weather and not go through the oil line costing lots more $ then saved.

You can always use kerosene or diesel neither will gel and both are safe for indoor or outdoor tanks.

Our local gas station has a Kerosene pump so we have used that before. Good to know about the diesel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter