Help...newbie

jkolkemo

Mouseketeer
I am a Disneyland fanatic, usually do 14 day trips, everyday in the parks. Have an opportunity to go to Disneyworld end of July for a convention and want to have my first Disneyworld experience. I am a expert on Disneyland but am a virgin to Disneyworld. Everyone tells me that it will a beast when it comes to heat. How many days is ideal to see the 4 parks, skipping water parks and not die of heat exhaustion.

I am a Disneyland fanatic, usually do 14 day trips, everyday in the parks. Have an opportunity to go to Disneyworld end of July for a convention and want to have my first Disneyworld experience. I am a expert on Disneyland but am a virgin to Disneyworld. Everyone tells me that it will a beast when it comes to heat. How many days is ideal to see the 4 parks, skipping water parks and not die of heat exhaustion.

Is "14 day trips" at DL a typo?
I've been many, many times over the years but 2-3 (maybe 4) days in Anaheim seems like
good "coverage" for the DLR parks.

At WDW, 7 days is a typical number of days.
We usually spend 9-10 days.

Heat and humidity are factors, depending of course, on the actual dates you are there.

Last edited:
Robo's answer seems about right...the more days, the better. Even with 10 days, you still won't see it all.

If you're managing 14 days a pop at Disneyland, you'll need 28 or so for WDW.

We much prefer WDW to DL because there is so much more to do for so
many days at the Florida parks,

BUT...

Many of the attractions shared with WDW are a bit
"better" at DL.

Pirates, Fantasmic!, Space Mtn., just to name a few.

Indiana Jones ride is one of the best Disney creations
in the US parks (with, by far, the best queue.)

But NOW, Flights of Passage in Pandora at Disney's Animal Kingdom is a
MAJOR plus in attraction technology and immersive ride experience.

The fireworks show(s) at DL may be the BEST, most elaborate and creative
fireworks show ever designed.

There's "World of Color" evening spectacular at DCA.

And, DCA offers "Cars Land" which is spectacular!

Yes, DL and WDW can be crowded most any day of the year.

One more thing. WALT spent a lot of time there.
He loved that park.
DL is special for that reason alone!

Lots more, but that's a thumbnail from me.

WDW for DLR Veterans by poster HydroGuy
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=16541636

July heat can be brutal. We always make sure we have spray fans with us because even though most rides will have fans blowing or are in A/C there are times when you just need more. There is so much to see and do at WDW that you probably won't see it all in 4 days, however IMO some things are ok to skip. In July Star Wars won't be open at WDW yet so Hollywood Studios could be done in a 1/2 day. We were there about a year ago and left HS by mid-afternoon so if you have a hopper pass that might be a good option to be able to see spend more time at MK or another park.

I will say that I agree with the person above who said that Flight of Passage is amazing...it totally is! You will definitely need a fastpass for that one because the line gets long and you will be out in the heat in that line when it is over 2 hours long.

Check out this thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/8-days-in-parks.3729621/ by a DLR vet.

At WDW I would say a solid trip would consist of 6 days at the parks. 2 MK, 2 Epcot, 1 AK, 1 DHS. Plus one or two days to rest. Especially in July. So 8 days would be solid. You can do less, you easily do more. If you have time then 10-11 days allows you to spend time at the water parks and some of the many other things WDW offers.

Here is some weather data since you asked. :) "Comparison of Weather For WDW and DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1711098

:wizard:

If you wanted to, you could also get a ticket for fewer days, like 6-7, then upgrade to more days if you feel you want to when you’re there.

Also, note that you need to make dining reservations! Most DL restaurants you can just walk in or get with a 2-3 day window, if you want certain locations at WDW start looking now as window for booking opens in a few weeks (6 months out).

Heat is bad at the end of July - plan moisture wicking clothes, either a spray fan or portable air conditioner. If you are at a convention during the day - consider resort touring at night as well. A meal at the California Grill at the top of the Contemporary gives you a great fireworks view without a park ticket that day and Ohana at the Poly is a must for many families.

Best yet - if they offer Disney After Hours - great idea. You have no lines and late hours so the heat is reduced and it doesn't require a separate park ticket from the event.

Try to insert a down day in the middle of your week-long stay. It will be a lifesaver, especially in July. Take that day to enjoy your resort pool, resort hop or make your way over to Disney Springs to enjoy a meal and do some shopping or enjoy the entertainment (especially at night).

There's really so much to do at Walt Disney World that even a week-long stay won't be enough! But it will give you time to experience all the parks, see several nighttime shows, do the things you love more than once, and get the full flavor of the resort.

I hope you have an absolute blast!! :-)

I’m a fellow DL fanatic-we go for five days at a time and it’s never nearly enough if you want to revisit favorites, linger and absorb the atmosphere, etc. I have done 9 days at WDW and it hasn’t felt like enough in some ways-but on the other hand I find it much more exhausting than DL. The transportation logistics, the heat, the time it takes between things and the extra planning.

I would agree that between 6 and infinity days is ideal; no less than 6 though. That should give you time to soak in the WDW joy. Regardless of how many days you stay, I just wanted to remind you to stay hydrated! Be sure to really get into a hydrating regimen at least a month before you go, that way you're not trying to essentially double hydrate. We've never been in July, but September is brutal so I can only imagine what July is like. Be sure to take breaks, even if it's just sitting in a restaurant in the A/C. Also, a cup of ice water is free at QS restaurants. Its not great tasting but it does the job.

I would say you need at least a week to get a good experience. I also skip the waterparks when we go. We have a lot of nice waterparks near us. I’m not going to Disney to swim and do what we can do near us. We did it once just to experience it and check out the waterparks but never again.

And yes the heat and humidity is awful. We went to DL for the first time in July of 2017 and we were giggling at hearing everyone around us complaining how hot it was. Yes it was sunny and hot, maybe low to mid 80’s but NOTHING like Florida in the summer. There is no humidity in California or it barely felt like there was any. It felt wonderful to us. My husband and I kept joking “clearly these people have never been to Disneyworld in the summer!” Haha

Is "14 day trips" at DL a typo?
I've been many, many times over the years but 2-3 (maybe 4) days in Anaheim seems like
good "coverage" for the DLR parks.

At WDW, 7 days is a typical number of days.
We usually spend 9-10 days.

Heat and humidity are factors, depending of course, on the actual dates you are there.

No it is not a typo... we love Disneyland and could go every day of the year if we could. We know all the in's and out's and never stand in lines. I love max pass, it has made trips so much easier. It will be hard to adjust to the fast pass system at DW, but am excited to compare the west coast and east coast.

No it is not a typo... we love Disneyland and could go every day of the year if we could. We know all the in's and out's and never stand in lines. I love max pass, it has made trips so much easier. It will be hard to adjust to the fast pass system at DW, but am excited to compare the west coast and east coast.

I absolutely LOVED max pass! Our trip to DL was barely a week after it went live and I was so worried about issues but it went so smooth and I just loved it. We hardly waited in any lines and were just booking fast pass after fast pass - so, so easy! And no stupid tier system like Disneyworld and not as many restrictions.

I wish they would combine the max pass with the magic band - that would be so perfect!!

OOOOH

14 "Day trips" not "14 day" trips LOL

I absolutely LOVED max pass! Our trip to DL was barely a week after it went live and I was so worried about issues but it went so smooth and I just loved it. We hardly waited in any lines and were just booking fast pass after fast pass - so, so easy! And no stupid tier system like Disneyworld and not as many restrictions.

I wish they would combine the max pass with the magic band - that would be so perfect!!
I agree, I would love MBs at DLR with MaxPass on it!

:wizard:

We had 9 days in November, which was our longest trip yet, and still didn't get everything on our list done... and we had no down days without going to a park for at least half of the day. I'd do at least a week to really see and enjoy as much as you can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter