Help! Need to decide on dates ASAP!

*RJ*

Earning My Ears
So my husband's work needs him to book his vacation time for 2018 next week and I'm still going back and forth on which week to choose for our trip. We've decided on August (we had been thinking about May) and I'm leaning towards the 13-17 as park days. My sisters (who are joining us with their families) are wondering about the following week. They're thinking the later in August, the better because more people will be back at school. I was thinking the earlier week because it's the last week of AP blockouts, plus some areas will already be back in school.

Thoughts?!

We were there the 7th through the 11th this summer. It felt like summer crowds, but not as bad as I've experienced in June....or even March of this year.

CA schools are starting earlier and earlier. Some in NorCal start second week, most are now third week. There are a few districts starting the first week. August is beginning to look better for trips!

Earlier!! Not only do blackouts come into play but so do ride refurbs as rides are taken down as the summer rush ends. (As others said now, the best time to travel to the parks is during the blackouts, makes no sense to non-DL folks but as soon as those blackouts lift parks are SWAMPED!)

Yes, as others have said earlier will be better. Haunted Mansion typically goes down closer to the end of August for the HMH overlay (among other possible closures).

Thanks so much for the replies. Pretty sure we'll be going with that earlier week...

So my husband's work needs him to book his vacation time for 2018 next week and I'm still going back and forth on which week to choose for our trip. We've decided on August (we had been thinking about May) and I'm leaning towards the 13-17 as park days. My sisters (who are joining us with their families) are wondering about the following week. They're thinking the later in August, the better because more people will be back at school. I was thinking the earlier week because it's the last week of AP blockouts, plus some areas will already be back in school.

Thoughts?!
AP blockout dates and Holidays are important when trying to arrange a trip where you'd like to have lower crowds.

Have you checked out figment_jii's thread for 2018 calendar of events and school breaks and DLR?
https://www.disboards.com/threads/2018-calendar-of-events-school-breaks-and-dlr.3635162/

Here's the current year 2017.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/2017-calendar-of-events-school-breaks-and-dlr.3528760/

While 2018's is still evolving, it will give you an idea of what's going on. 2017 will show you how this year looked in Aug.

I know the challenge of booking now for 2018. Before I retired, I always had to book time off work 12-18 months in advance.
Now I can go when I want. In fact last week I booked the first morning flight down on Dec 12th and the last flight home the same day. I figure I'll have 10am to 5pm at DLR. It should be interesting...

Good luck planning your August visit.

Geemo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter