Help! My car blew up... UPDATE picked up my car..update

Birdie dog

DIS Veteran
I'm so frustrated right now. I just posted on the budget board about how well I've done paying off debt, but I have a major issue and I don't know what to do.
I have a new-ish 2018 Mazda CX-5 that I bought new. It's (thankfully) still under warranty. I have a 0% car loan. I had my oil changed the week before Christmas. On Christmas Eve, my husband and I were doing last minute errands and he was complaining that my car smelled like it was burning- "Look, your oil light is on". I pointed out the sticker and that my car (with 20,000 miles on it) had been serviced only days before. We immediately brought the car to the oil place, which was luckily still open and they checked it out and said indeed, there was an oil leak, but it was "high in the engine" and I needed to take it to my dealership because it had nothing to do with the oil change. I dropped my car off the Monday after Christmas and it's still there.
Apparently, there's a known issue with some Mazda engines (and I'm not a car person so I'm paraphrasing). Apparently oil wasn't distributed evenly, the engine overheated, and my head gasket cracked. Because it was a known issue, and my car still had plenty of warranty left, the engine would be replaced. So, I've been driving a loaner since. First I had to wait for a new engine from Japan, and then for it to be installed. I called to check on my car last week and was told that the new engine was in, "But, there's a little issue with it running". They said they were taking it apart again to figure out the issue and they hoped it would be ready at the end of last week. So far, I have't heard from them again. Add the major mechanical issue to so many people who have told me that after an engine is replaced, "there are always problems with the car". Is that true? No idea, I bought a new car so I wouldn't HAVE to deal with car issues. And now, with the Mazda place not knowing what's wrong..
So, I'm considering trading it in. I DON'T want to. I wanted to be an adult, pay off my zero interest loan and keep my car and have no car payment for a few years. But, I am also not into having a money pit. And I'm an ER nurse who works a lot and my job is 20 miles away, a decent and reliable car is an absolute must.
Has anyone had any experience in engine replacement? Does anyone have any advice? Do I cut my losses and start over with a Toyota or Honda? Or am I being overdramatic? Advice please...

Last edited:
I would let them fix it and see how the car runs when you get it back. When does your new car warranty expire? (I think it's 3yr/36k miles). A couple of months before my car warranties expire, I pay attention to anything that might need fixing. Also, I have taken in my car for an oil change and told the mechanic to go over the car and look for anything that needs repair. Then get it fixed before being out of warranty.

You can also purchase an extended warranty. I would buy from dealer only, and shop different dealers for the best price. I bought an extended warranty only once, and was diligent about using it before it expired. I just broke even on the repairs compared to what I paid. So it's not necessarily a value but it does give some peace of mind. Also go on Mazda CX 5 forums and see what others have to say about your problem. (btw I actually have this car in my family, different year.)

Almost every car I have owned has had a recall/technical service bulletin issued for a problem. I had a new Subaru and the A/C broke after one year. Fixed under warranty. Cars often have problems and it pays to do an internet search so you don't pay out of pocket for something that should be covered by manufacturer. I realize that your problem (engine failure) is a big one but hopefully they will get it straightened out. If the problem continues, be a pest and write an email to corporate (I have done this and gotten good results).

It's a big pain but don't let it get to you. There is no car brand that is flawless (my corporate email went to Toyota). You can always trade it in- don't worry about problems before they happen.

You can also search 'mazda recalls' or 'mazda technical service bulletins' to be aware of problems that may occur for your car's model year.

Last edited:
I'd let them fix it and drive it until the warranty is about to expire. If it is still giving you issues, dump it, otherwise you may be fine. But, yes, it is a gamble.
As for Toyota and Honda.....well, as a friend who just retired after 50 years as a mechanic at the Toyota Dealership used to say......"when you see a car brand without a service department at their dealerships, then you know they have reliable cars." He says warranty work is where the dealership makes most of their money, followed by customer billed repairs. 10 years ago his dealerhip billed Toyota $5 million for V-6 head gasket repairs in one year. Cost the customers nothing, so Toyota backs them because they do have issues from time to time. Good luck.
As for extended warranties. I have never collected a penny from them, so it was wasted money. I always buy the warranty sold by the auto maker, not a third party. The fuel pump in my Taurus went out and I thought the extended warranty would cover it, and it was listed as covered, but Ford had issues with the fuel pumps and extended the basic warranty on just that part, so it would have been a free repair anyway, And I had the heater core go out in a Dodge. That part was specifically excluded from the extended warranty. Yet, when we bought our 2020 Camry Hybrid I got the Toyota extended warranty because the technology in that car is terrifying. I have a couple of months to decide on an extended warranty on myu 2018 Flex. But the Ford warranties are all geared to people to drive high miles over a short period of time. I drive low miles over many years. In almost 2 years it only have 11,000 miles on it.

Last edited:

My husband just called to check on my car and was told that it's "making strange noises and they can't figure out why". They have a call out to Mazda headquarters. So, who knows....?

It sounds strange, but some mechanics will put a stethoscope (or equivalent) onto the valve cover(s) to try and diagnose the noise(s). If the oil wasn't making it's way up to the "high engine" point, then there could have been a metal shaving blockage through a port and/or the oil pump was inadequate (or other). I'm not a mechanic by any stretch, but always challenge the mechanic(s) on what is the core issue.

The response "can't figure out why" would make me very leery of their troubleshooting skills. But, I would give them a couple more days to see if corporate can offer insight. Regardless, I would be apt to let this vehicle go if/when the situation is remedied.

Also be sure to ask the length of time this repair work will be covered by dealership when you get your car back.
My car was in dealership for a month in November waiting for parts ... Covid has created many manufacturing/ parts/ delays.
And do not let your car sit .... also discovered mold rotted tires because I have not been driving my car.

I wonder if they would be willing to comp you an extended warranty on the car. That's probably what I would be pushing for at this point.

We had a very similar situation occur with a mini-van. Do NOT trade it in! Do not take any financial or moral burden off the dealership that sold you the car. Do not let them "off the hook" by eliminating the problem for them, by trading it in.

YES, it sucks big time, it sucks to drive a loaner, it sucks to have to deal with it, it sucks to be paying for a car that is sitting in the shop. You have to go through the due process of having them fix it.

You need to look up your states laws for lemon vehicles. Not all states have Lemon Laws. Lots of states use a process called Substitution of Collateral through the Better Business Bureau.

You need to get the dealership to start communicating to you in email. Start making a paper trail. Follow up phone conversation with email notes of things that were discussed, who said what, dates, times, etc.

Contact your local BBB and start the Substitution of Collateral process. They will advocate on your behalf to either get the repair done in a timely manner, set a time frame for completion, or set a time frame for failed completion. They will help set the guidelines for you exchanging your car for a new one. All the terms of financing remain exactly the same, nothing changes at all. Any payments already made remain in effect, interest rates, etc. The only thing that changes hands are the cars themself.

I had to lemon out a Nissan Pathfinder a few years back. It was a year long fight on a brand new car. In most states, you only have 2 years to file the lemon law. I would be hiring an attorney or finding an agency to help me get Mazda to buy this car back. Figure out the lemon law in your state. I am in Georgia, and we have a state agency that helps consumers with the lemon law. Find out what your state offers.

I would not take this car back. If it has already had this many issues and now they can’t figure out what is wrong with it? I would not feel safe driving it.

Start documenting everything. Start communicating in emails so you have a paper trail. Keep a documented list of days in the shop and all the repairs done.

This car is a lemon and needs to be Mazda’s responsibility, not yours.

This is helpful advice.
Unfortunately few details might need to be considered.
Purchased a 2018 New Car with only 20,000 miles from a used car dealership or major corporate Mazda dealer. The car was bought new from the Mazda dealership.
Oil change not performed by the dealership ? The dealership is about 40 mins by highway from my house. I have my oil changed at a licensed garage that does oil chances etc.
Burning smell and drove car back to oil change shop ? We were out running errands on Christmas Eve. When we noticed the smell we were 5 minutes from the oil place so we went there thinking something hadn't been put back correctly after the oil change.
Then continue to drive back to dealer? Probably should have towed it . I called the dealership and told them exactly what was going on and what the shop said and was told to bring it in. The oil place had filled my oil again so the oil light was not on when I drove it there.
All of this info would create a challenge to pursue.
Good luck.

Is there a chance that no oil was put back in or not enough? We took our son's car to have new tires put on (this was 15 years ago) and the car shook like crazy as we were going over a bridge (one of the fastest rivers in the world) and pulled over to find the lug nuts on but not tightened! Unbelievable! The look on the face of the technician was utter horror as he could have killed us both.

I always have the oil changed and tires rotated at the dealer now. Personally, I'd trade it in and cut your losses as soon as you get it back. It's not worth the stress and I would definitely buy a different brand! Sorry you are dealing with this!

Last edited:
Is there a chance that no oil was put back in or not enough? We took our son's car to have new tires put on (this was 15 years ago) and the car shook like crazy as we were going over a bridge (one of the fastest rivers in the world) and pulled over to find the lug nuts on but not tightened! Unbelievable! The look on the face of the technician was utter horror as he could have killed us both.

I always have the oil changed and tires rotated at the dealer now. Personally, I'd trade it in and cut your losses as soon as you get it back. It's not worth the stress and I would definitely buy a different brand! Sorry you are dealing with this!
I was walking out of sprouts one afternoon, and a Jeep that was driving by had a tire fall off. The Jeep was going slow, so the tire just rolled away and the Jeep fell to one side in front of the store. The person driving had just had the tires rotated that day. Obviously, something wasn’t put back together correctly.

Look up the lemon law in your state. You shouldn’t have to trade it in. It should be replaced if they can’t fix it.

I would look in the back of the owner's manual for the escalation/resolution process when you are not satisfied with a particular dealer. Dealer's report to the zone office or other similar hierarchy of that car company. I have had situations with other car companies where the dealer either didn't seem to want to bother fixing the issue (under warranty) or acted like they didn't know how. The zone office got involved and the dealer got the outside 'help' they needed to resolve it.

We drove up to the Mazda dealership today to discuss options with my car as it's still not ready. We sat down with the service manager who was pretty reasonable. We found out that although we had been told that my engine was being replaced, Mazda had changed the recommendation to the cylinder head being replaced, we were unaware of the change per Mazda. Anyway, the new piece arrived and was installed and issues ensued. Mazda then contacted corporate again and was told to pull the entire engine. Now the engine in entirety is being replaced.
I spoke with the manager about my misgivings and have been offered two options from Mazda.
1- an additional 100,000 mile warranty on the drive train as well as an extra year of general warranty being added to my car. That way, if there are any other issues, I won't eat them.
The other option was that I can trade in my car on a new one and a "rebate" would be added from Mazda so that I'm not out as much $ trading in such a new vehicle.
I didn't spend any time shopping there today and I'm really unsure which action I'll take. I had also planned on visiting Honda today to look at the CR-Vs but didn't want to spend the time in the dealership and am home just trying to figure out what to do..

Good luck.

My vehicle is two years old with no issues, but I bought it when I lived in one state. Now, I live in another, so my needs have changed. I'd changed vehicles if given the option.

Is there another vehicle you'd rather own?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!